Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Texas King
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:14 pm 

These pioneers of stoner metal have 4 studio albums: Wretch, Blues for the Red Sun, Welcome to Sky Valley and ...And the Circus Leaves Town?
Which one do you like the most and why? And how would you rate other 3 albums?

Morfiend
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:47 pm 

It's tough but I'd probably go with Welcome To Sky Valley. That whole album is great and "Space Cadet" might be my favorite song they've written. I'd rank Kyuss's albums as follows -

Sky Valley
Blues
Circus
-big gap-
Wretch

I also really like that Vista Chino record as well.

Webstore: http://www.lastrightsrecords.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Last-Righ ... 657?ref=ts

New Arrivals: Titles from Cynic, Superjoint Ritual, Dimmu Borgir, Athiest, Opeth, Testament and many more!

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:50 pm 

I agree with Morfiend above. I was SUPER into this band back in the 90's and although I loved "Blues for the Red Sun"- it was the first album of theirs I heard and I listened to it until my original tape wore out, I was blown away by how good "Sky Valley" was when I first listened to it. Almost every tune on there is just outstanding- it is their best one in my opinion. The other two are okay but not as consistent. "Wretch" actually has a couple good tunes on it; "Katzenjammer" is pretty good but the others are hit or miss.

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:55 pm 

I have only heard Blues for the Red Sun, so I am going to have to go with it. I always meant to check out more of their stuff, since I really enjoyed the one album I have heard, but it just has not happened yet.

Conan Troutman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:36 am 

Sky Valley is still my favourite album of all time and probably always will be. After discovering Kyuss I started hunting down as many "stoner" bands as possible and got into bands like Fu Manchu, Monster Magnet, Spiritual Beggars etc etc. I don't listen to this type of music so much anymore but Sky Valley and Blues are still on heavy rotation.

I actually prefer Wretch to Circus. I think the problem with Circus is that it could never live up to Sky Valley and was always going to be something of a let down. What made it more of a disappointment is that I had the Demon Cleaner single which had Hurricane and El Rodeo as B-sides - so it was a bit of a surprise when they turned up on the album.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:57 am 

Morfiend wrote:
It's tough but I'd probably go with Welcome To Sky Valley. That whole album is great and "Space Cadet" might be my favorite song they've written.

Conan Troutman wrote:
Sky Valley is still my favourite album of all time and probably always will be. After discovering Kyuss I started hunting down as many "stoner" bands as possible and got into bands like Fu Manchu, Monster Magnet, Spiritual Beggars etc etc. I don't listen to this type of music so much anymore but Sky Valley and Blues are still on heavy rotation.

Same here: (1994) Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley.
Their best song is Whitewater for me and they closed their Hellfest show I attended (2010) with it:
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/john-garcia/2010/val-de-moine-clisson-france-1bd401ac.html

:bow:

~Guest 417309
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:51 am 

Sky Valley and then Blues for sure. SV you could spin every day and never get sick of, ultimate party album.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:27 pm 

I'm definitely in the Sky Valley camp. I think it just has the right balance of songwriting, trippiness, and band chemistry. Blues is my second favorite of theirs and objectively maybe even as good, but it may have a little too much navel gazing in comparison. The other two are decent enough; Circus is probably the better album but I do enjoy Wretch's more punk attitude.

Ktulu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:32 pm 

Sky Valley and it's not close. That album is a masterpiece and might be a top 10 album for me. The rest goes Circus, then Blues, then a sharp fall off a cliff to Wretch.

PeteGas
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:42 pm 

I’ll rank them the same as almost everyone else:

Sky Valley
Blues
Circus
Wretch

Least polarizing list thread ever :lol:

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:01 am 

blues and sky valley are the essential kyuss albums and i slightly prefer blues.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:47 am 

Sky Valley, easy. It’s kind of weird because when I was 13 I was struck by how heavy that album was whereas now I find it to be very mellow. Better songs and playing than Blues..., mind. I’ve never heard the debut but the general consensus seems to be that it’s not up to much.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:11 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
Sky Valley, easy. It’s kind of weird because when I was 13 I was struck by how heavy that album was whereas now I find it to be very mellow. Better songs and playing than Blues..., mind. I’ve never heard the debut but the general consensus seems to be that it’s not up to much.

yeah, pretty much. I think this album can't be beat within its particular niche. I don't really listen to the others anymore, but this one still gets plays. Everything just worked on it. I'm not going to bother ranking the others because, well, this is, as already pointed out, a pretty non-controversial thread. i will say that each of the others contains some good tunes, at least. Actually I'm a lot less familiar with the debut and probably only heard it through once or twice, so can't really say much about it.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Reply to topic