Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:49 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
I think squatting three times a week is overkill, but Madcow seems like a decent program. Maybe I'm missing something but the template I looked up had virtually no accessory lifts and that seems very strange for an intermediate program. Definitely wouldn't have been able to break through my plateau for squats if not for accessory stuff like front squats and Bulgarian split squats.

I was never on Stronglifts 5x5 but I did make good progress starting out with a basic 5x5 routine. Glad I never did Stronglifts because I don't see how you're supposed to make any progress on deadlift only doing one set of five each week - and after squats at that. Even for Madcow it says do deadlifts after squats which doesn't make much sense to me. I'd fucking die if I tried that lol. It's good that you're getting more volume in for deadlifts, though. Easily my favourite lift. I don't think you'll have any problem getting it past your squat numbers.

I mean, I've been squatting 3x a week for a long time now, so it's just normal for me. The very basic StrongLifts and Madcow have no accessories, yeah, so I'm just doing those manually. I sorta wanted to do the Bill Starr Madcow variant that adds a bunch of accessory stuff, but one of those is power cleans and I'm just not really familiar with that lift.

Yeah, moving from a single set every other lift day on deadlifts to a proper bunch of sets every Wednesday is definitely a difficult change, but I like it so far. My deadlift is already past my squat numbers, so no worries there.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:43 pm 

Oh, I thought you posted before that your squat was better than your deadlift. Makes sense that it's not, can't remember ever meeting anyone who squatted more than they deadlift. Still think I'd die if I squatted heavy three times a week, my legs/back are barely feeling better from deadlifts by the time leg day comes around.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:28 am 

So I somehow managed to pull something in my lats . . . doing fucking tricep pushdowns.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:36 am 

Goddamnit Clam.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:22 pm 

Most recent deadlift progress

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:33 am 

I bought a free weight set and have been working out for three weeks, now. Already noticing gains despite my shitty diet (which is back on track now).

What do you guys eat and what does your food budget look like? I'm finding it hard to consume a caloric surplus, thus my gains aren't optimal.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:43 pm 

What's your bodyfat %?
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:01 pm 

Hmm... I'm not sure. I'm about 6'1" and around 206 pounds, though some of that is water weight.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:10 pm 

You should be ~15% bodyfat first, you need to cut down first IMO. You can bulk up if you want but you aren't going to look good until you get leaner. Depends on your goals. If you don't care what you look like, no problem, but I can't wrap my head around that mindset.

Just saying since you are doing this all from home, being lean is the best trump card you have at this point since its difficult to put good muscle on without access to a gym. This was me the FIRST day I joined the gym. I did everything from home like you but I made sure my diet was on fucking point and it paid off.

Spoiler: show
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:32 pm 

I guess I'll cut, then.

Is it possible to gain muscle with a caloric defecit? It seems like everyone on the Bodybuilding Forum thinks it's impossible, but I've come across anecdotal evidence to the contrary. I definitely need to lose weight, though.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:43 pm 

Yes, your body will respond since you are a first-timer. That's how it worked for me, at least. And I was on a pretty serious cut for a while. Aim for ~500-700kcal under maintenance.

Last.fm

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:58 pm 

That's good to hear. Thanks for the tips, man.

Iron Wizard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:26 pm 

I'm going to start StrongLifts 5x5 tomorrow. I'm going to try to stick with it for a year and put a review up on YouTube. In an intermediate lifter having lifted for two years. I haven't seen any results other than having a "more devolved" body. If you look at me, you can tell I lift, but I haven't made any significant gains. I'm going to blame this on my up until recently poor diet, where I was only getting around 1500 calories. Now I'm getting around 3000. I ended up doing a bunch of useless gimmick workouts sich further hindered my progress.

Right now, I'm 5'4 and 110 pounds at 17. Let's see if I am 130 a year from now.

-Ronnie James Dio, Black Sabbath- Heaven and Hell

Iron Wizard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:29 pm 

AboveTheThrone wrote:
I guess I'll cut, then.

Is it possible to gain muscle with a caloric defecit? It seems like everyone on the Bodybuilding Forum thinks it's impossible, but I've come across anecdotal evidence to the contrary. I definitely need to lose weight, though.

In theory, no. A calorie deficit=tissue catabolism. However, not all tissue is muscle. Beginners and overweight people can recomp on a deficit, and gain muscle using the energy from fat. This will still result in an overall weight loss.

-Ronnie James Dio, Black Sabbath- Heaven and Hell

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:49 pm 

It's fun to read up on the theory behind it but don't get too caught up in the science of it all. Just be consistent and you'll see progress.

Last.fm

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:54 pm 

Yeah, I'm only eating, like, 0.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight and way under 2,500 calories and I'm still making gains. I'm able to push myself just a little bit further every workout session. I've only been lifting for a month and my biceps are already noticeably bigger, haha

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:17 pm 

Look up progressive overload. IMO you can increase it from three angles: amount of weight lifted, volume (like number of sets), and intensity.

Last.fm

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:43 am 

So, I found this, which basically proves that you can build muscle mass while simultaneously losing fat. This is great news for me considering I've been wanting to cut, but afraid of losing muscle in the process.

Anyway, I've added 35 pounds to my bench press in about a month and my biceps are visibly larger, so that's good.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:27 pm 

My bulk will be coming to an end in a week or two. I've made pretty decent progress with my lifts in the span of about 2.5 months. I'd like to test my one rep maxes on all my big lifts before I start cutting again. Even though I hate the dietary aspect of cutting, I'm ready for it because I'm sick of feeling like a fat piece of shit.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:07 am 

It's that time of year again, and I'm thinking about finally exercising on a regular basis and eating better. I've got no dough to join a gym, but I do have a home "gym" space with a weight bench, one 45 lb. dumbbell, two dumbbells where you can add on weights and about 25 lbs of plates for each, a stairmaster (will not use), and a rowing machine. I am frequently out of the house for 12 - 14 hrs a day, which makes the motivation to i) wake up earlier or ii) do anything when I get home hard to come by. Goals are to lose weight, tone muscle/put some muscle on, and perhaps see an ab or two (unlikely).

Any suggestions on routines, diet, inexpensive stuff I may want to add to my pre-existing gym stuff?

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:33 am 

You can actually improvise a lot with what you have. One fairly heavy dumbbell and two adjustables can cover most of the basic stuff. "Toning" isn't a thing, it's more of an illusion of gained muscle mass granted by being leaner. Focus on your diet (high protein, ~3-500kcal under maintenance) and do a basic routine every other day with the weights you have. Be consistent.

Last.fm

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:01 pm 

Thank you sir. Sorry to be such an amateur, but what is "maintenance"? how long should a basic routine take? and any place for the rowing machine in all this (that's the one piece of equipment I actually enjoy using)?

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:45 pm 

Whatever it takes to maintain your current weight (there are calculators online). I would just do a full body routine with what you have, hit all muscle groups every other day... if you are a beginner or just coming back this should give you results if you train with focus and intensity.

Last.fm

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:36 am 

Do they make dial-up dumbbell sets that go up to 55 or 70 pounds that are actually affordable? I have a hard time justifying $250-300 for a set of these things. I'm going to get use out of them, but the price is a bit much. I like them for the space-saving aspects, but I've basically reached the limits of the small set I have (a Powerblock set).

I might be shopping at the wrong places, but I'm looking for something like the Bowflex Selecttech 552 or 1090, but for something I can actually afford. I suppose they'd last a while.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:33 pm 

You can't join a gym?

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:23 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
You can't join a gym?

No thanks.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:03 pm 

Shell out the cash for the.... jesus these things are fucking expensive. All I will say is that, two adjustable dumbbells up to around 75 (you have the right idea) and a basic bench... you can do pretty much everything you need up to an intermediate level.

Last.fm

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:19 am 

So on Madcow now. Should be good since squats are my weakest of the big three. It's a big shift working out most of my body every gym day because I'm so used to doing brosplits. Another good thing is that there's no direct shoulder work on this program, which is actually fairly ideal for me because I'm coming back from a reasonably bad neck injury.

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:29 pm 

Been on a diet since New Years Day, it is not a resolution really just convenient timing after the holidays.

I am 6 ft 4 and started about 193.5 and currently sitting at 186. I know it seems like a lot, but i do laborious work for my job and hit the gym 4-5 times a week with bodybuilding type training.

Adding cardio in a fat loss phase makes fat just fall off for me as long as the diet is intact, so been upping the protein/carbs quite a bit just to try and save some muscle on my way down to 175 (maybe 170 we'll see) as well as performance in the gym and everyday stuff.

Going to continue doing re-feeds once a week to try to protect my mental and physical states, as well as push through plateaus if they do happen.

Fat loss phases are always hard to get into that rhythm and routine for me, but once the fat starts coming off it is rewarding and motivating seeing results and feeling better in terms of your looks, as well as just walking around with a lighter body.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:27 pm 

Has anyone ever had problems with pain in the front of their hip at the bottom of their squats? It's been something of an issue for me lately, on my left hip. It's like a pinch at the depth of the squat. Even though I think its getting better, I'm wondering if anyone has any personal experience with this and what they did which may help in terms of preventative measures.

Exkretor wrote:

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:49 am 

Is it bad that I eat only one large meal a day? I've heard a lot of conflicting information regarding how much protein your body can absorb in one sitting. I seem to be making gains this way, though, so meh.

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:17 am 

AboveTheThrone wrote:
Is it bad that I eat only one large meal a day? I've heard a lot of conflicting information regarding how much protein your body can absorb in one sitting. I seem to be making gains this way, though, so meh.

That "only X amount of protein can be absorbed at one sitting" thing is a garbage myth. Just think of how athletes eat or anyone who has to eat a lot of protein per day and you will quickly realize how silly that is.

Heres a comprehensive video about protein absorption by a relevant respected professional. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JE-wdA3PHw&t=165s

Eating only one meal a day is a type of Intermittent Fasting and is not bad, but should be decided on by preference and quite a few variables like lifestyle, how you naturally consume food, and overall practicality.

Above all else a diet should be chosen in a manner that makes sense for YOU and works for your body.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:48 am 

Diamhea wrote:
Shell out the cash for the.... jesus these things are fucking expensive. All I will say is that, two adjustable dumbbells up to around 75 (you have the right idea) and a basic bench... you can do pretty much everything you need up to an intermediate level.

I found a set I liked that goes up to 50 per hand, expandable to 90 if I should somehow manage to build that amount of strength. I'm not tall, and have never been particularly bulky, so I doubt I'll get to that point, but it gives me room at any rate. They're expensive, but I'll have them at all times. I'm not one of those people that buys exercise equipment that is ultimately used to collect dust and clothes I'm too lazy to put in a closet.

I also paid off my Jeep last month, so for two months, I'll replace that payment with paying off my credit card for buying these. General tone and strength is all I really want. I've been pretty good about sticking to my diet changes and calorie limits over the past two years, and it's resulted in a general loss of 30 pounds, and during the biometric screening I had a few months back, I'm in great health.

In hindsight, I think the nurse who ran my screening was trying to find out if I was single at the time. She brought up a conversation about the band logos on my had, recognizing the OverKill logo, but didn't offhand recognize Carcass or Paradise Lost.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:31 am 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
In hindsight, I think the nurse who ran my screening was trying to find out if I was single at the time. She brought up a conversation about the band logos on my had, recognizing the OverKill logo, but didn't offhand recognize Carcass or Paradise Lost.

She's a keeper

Last.fm

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:37 pm 

So, are dumbbell squats a good substitute for regular squats? I was looking at squatting racks online, and all of them are way out of my budget. I've been lifting for six or seven weeks and have yet to have a leg day because of this dilemma.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:58 pm 

You can do lunges with dumbbells. Another great option would be Goblet Squats.

Exkretor wrote:

Hellancholy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:20 am 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
Do they make dial-up dumbbell sets that go up to 55 or 70 pounds that are actually affordable? I have a hard time justifying $250-300 for a set of these things. I'm going to get use out of them, but the price is a bit much. I like them for the space-saving aspects, but I've basically reached the limits of the small set I have (a Powerblock set).

I might be shopping at the wrong places, but I'm looking for something like the Bowflex Selecttech 552 or 1090, but for something I can actually afford. I suppose they'd last a while.

Looks like you already decided on a purchase, but if you haven't shelled out the cash yet and enjoy DIY projects, you could do what I did when I was a broke bastard and make a weight set out of cement. Cement is dirt-cheap, you can get 100 lbs for less than $10. A few flowerpots or similar items for molds, a few rolls of duct tape to pad the cement and reduce dust/crumbling, and you're good to go.

AboveTheThrone wrote:
So, are dumbbell squats a good substitute for regular squats? I was looking at squatting racks online, and all of them are way out of my budget. I've been lifting for six or seven weeks and have yet to have a leg day because of this dilemma.

Whether dumbbells are a suitable substitute depends entirely on what your goals are. There is no dumbbell squat variation that will give you the strength that you would acquire from throwing 400+ lbs on a barbell and squatting with it. So if your goal is to become as strong as your genetics allow while building the bone density of a mountain troll, dumbbells will not get you there.

On the other hand, if your strength goals are more modest, you wish to build explosive plyometric strength for high jumps, or you simply want impressively muscular legs, then dumbbells are fine. And it's not like you can't get extremely strong legs with just dumbbells--if you can do high reps of pistol squats while gripping even a modestly heavy dumbbell, you'll already be stronger than 99.9% of the population.

stickyshooZ wrote:
Has anyone ever had problems with pain in the front of their hip at the bottom of their squats? It's been something of an issue for me lately, on my left hip. It's like a pinch at the depth of the squat. Even though I think its getting better, I'm wondering if anyone has any personal experience with this and what they did which may help in terms of preventative measures.

I didn't have this problem with squats, but I had a similar issue with anterior hip pain when deadlifting in both the conventional and sumo stances. I got around it by doing Jefferson deadlifts exclusively for 6 months--the hip position is radically different, and didn't aggravate whatever was being aggravated by regular deadlifts. After 6 months I tested my conventional deadlift again, and there was no pain. These days I still do mostly Jefferson, but will add in a set or two of conventional at the end of my deadlift workout so that I don't completely forget how to do it.

I think some of us simply have anatomical variations that make certain barbell exercises inefficient or even painful, despite the fact that the majority of people have no problem with them. If I were you, I'd experiment with a bunch of different stance widths, foot angles, and outright squat variations (high vs low bar, box squats, front squats, even belt squats) until I find something that works.

If you get super strong in whatever weird squat variation is optimized for your anatomy, you'll probably find decent carryover to the "normal" barbell squat anyway, if that's something that matters to you.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:17 pm 

No updates here lately? Here's a recent pic. Almost back to my pre-Summer form. I lost a lot but the strength came back quickly.

Last.fm

kellyon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:24 pm 

great results! I started working out a few weeks ago. My trainer also advised me to try coolsculpting nyc, this procedure helps to reduce fat cells in the short period of time. I guess I'll take a few procedures to achieve better results. Want to lose 15 lbs till summer.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:37 pm 

Month or so into the diet now, much leaner. Might not show well on the shitty phone cam.

Last.fm

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58  Next