Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ze_mau
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:34 pm 

I´ve seen this subject discussed many times in many foruns around the web , but what are your picks on this one ? I will always mention "Purgatory" , by Iron Maiden , as probably the first true "Thrash" song , but thos is just my opinion ...

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:47 pm 

"Paranoid" (1970) is grasping towards thrash and "Children of the Grave" (1971) gets even closer.

"Stone Cold Crazy" (1974) and "Symptom of the Universe" (1975) also deserve mention.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:27 pm 

For a full proper thrash song and not just any early song with fast palm-muted open-string riffs, I'd say Venom's Witching Hour.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:54 pm 

I always thought Judas Priest - Call for the Priest sounded very thrashy. Another early one that rarely seems to get mentioned is Rainbow - A Light in the Black, which is basically proto-speed metal.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:34 am 

Quote:
I always thought Judas Priest - Call for the Priest sounded very thrashy.

I think it's a Helloween song recorded 12 years before. The harmonized guitar lines and double bass drumming are amazingly evocative of power metal. I just wish it was a better song.

Now, if we're talking "Dissident Aggressor"...

Immortal666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:33 am 

When I first heard "Rapid Fire" by Judas Priest, I thought it sounded thrash before thrash just lacking the production.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:32 am 

ze_mau wrote:
I´ve seen this subject discussed many times in many foruns around the web , but what are your picks on this one ? I will always mention "Purgatory" , by Iron Maiden , as probably the first true "Thrash" song , but thos is just my opinion ...

Gotta agree with you. When first hearing this I thought it sounded pretty damn thrashy. Interested to see what others come up with.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:02 am 

Witching Hour is the only real candidate for proto thrash metal in my opinion. It has that chunky punkiness that makes thrash what it is.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:07 am 

"666" from Anvil. Insane song for 1982.

ze_mau
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:13 am 

tomcat_ha wrote:
Witching Hour is the only real candidate for proto thrash metal in my opinion. It has that chunky punkiness that makes thrash what it is.

Not all Thrash is "punkish" at all . I mean , I am a musician . Thrash has a lot of elements of Punk / HC on the rhythm session . Attitude as well . but musically , Thrash is hardly "punkish" most of the time . But yeah , Venom was the closest thing sounding "Thrash Metal" before Thrash existed ...

ze_mau
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:16 am 

Immortal666 wrote:
When I first heard "Rapid Fire" by Judas Priest, I thought it sounded thrash before thrash just lacking the production.

Agree . The whole "British Steel" record was something "really furious" for 1980 IMO .

chugging_pus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:51 am 

I’d mention Il Rovescio Della Medaglia’s Sodom E Gomorrah or Night Sun’s Nightmare. Both earlier and heavier than Stone Cold Crazy.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:59 am 

ze_mau wrote:
tomcat_ha wrote:

Not all Thrash is "punkish" at all . I mean , I am a musician . Thrash has a lot of elements of Punk / HC on the rhythm session . Attitude as well . but musically , Thrash is hardly "punkish" most of the time . But yeah , Venom was the closest thing sounding "Thrash Metal" before Thrash existed ...

without the punk/hc elements its just speed metal.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:37 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
ze_mau wrote:

without the punk/hc elements its just speed metal.

I don't agree with that. Tyrant and Exciter are pretty thrashy for their time and when you get to Unleashed In The East there's no punk influence whatsoever.
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

ze_mau
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:14 pm 

What do you think about Scorpions' - "Now" ?

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:22 pm 

Quote:
"Stone Cold Crazy" (1974) and "Symptom of the Universe" (1975) also deserve mention.

That's what I was thinking. Also maybe some early 80s GBH. Some of that stuff sounds a lot like bits of "Kill em All".

What about something like Gamma "Four Horsemen"?

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:25 pm 

ze_mau wrote:

Eh, if you're gonna take a song from Blackout, Dynamite is the better candidate. Can't Get Enough as well.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:09 pm 

TrooperEd wrote:
ze_mau wrote:

Eh, if you're gonna take a song from Blackout, Dynamite is the better candidate. Can't Get Enough as well.

Those are all excellent songs, but there is not a single thrash riff in any of them.

MorbidEarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:24 pm 

If you're going to pick a Scorpions song, He's A Woman, She's A Man is a much better candidate for a proto-thrash song than anything from Blackout.

Surprised that nobody's mentioned Fast As A Shark by Accept. That song was considered a standard among the pioneers of the early thrash scene. The title track from Restless & Wild is quite thrashy too.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:39 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
TrooperEd wrote:

Those are all excellent songs, but there is not a single thrash riff in any of them.

2:22 in Dynamite sure sounds like thrash to me.

MorbidEarth wrote:
If you're going to pick a Scorpions song, He's A Woman, She's A Man is a much better candidate for a proto-thrash song than anything from Blackout.

Surprised that nobody's mentioned Fast As A Shark by Accept. That song was considered a standard among the pioneers of the early thrash scene. The title track from Restless & Wild is quite thrashy too.

I think by 82 thrash was already at the very least in a larvae stage, so that's a little too late for "before thrash existed."

chugging_pus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:43 pm 

Would also nominate Bow Wow’s Electric Power Up and Sammy Hagar’s This Planets On Fire

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:58 pm 

MawBTS wrote:
"Paranoid" (1970) is grasping towards thrash and "Children of the Grave" (1971) gets even closer.

I think Stone Cold Crazy really has the stop-start staccato and bursts of lead guitar down to a tee. Except sounding like thrash doesn't really make it the first thrash song. But whatever, interesting suggestions.

No Motorhead yet though?

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:07 pm 

Almost forgot: Riot, "Fire Down Under," and really, almost everything else.

ze_mau
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:14 pm 

I still think "Now" , by Scoprions , is kinda proto thrash because of the intensity , but anyways ...

Cynical
Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:03 pm 

Symptom of the Universe.

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:08 am 

ze_mau wrote:
I still think "Now" , by Scoprions , is kinda proto thrash because of the intensity , but anyways ...

"Now" definitely, but the Scorps' main contribution to the more brutal side of metal comes a bit earlier, from their 70's material, "He's a Woman, She's a Man" and "Steamrock Fever" from "Taken by Force" as already mentioned here; this savage piece of metal called "Another Piece of Meat" from "Lovedrive"... "Can't Get Enough" from that same album, too. To point at the more obvious ones...

metalistkrieg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:20 pm 

I always thought Phantom of the Opera sounded thrashy. Especially the buzz saw guitars and semi fast drumming definitely qualifies it as an early thrash like song.

Necrobiotik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:12 pm 

Iron Fist and later Burner are good examples of proto thrash i think.

Last edited by Necrobiotik on Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:25 pm 

metalistkrieg wrote:
I always thought Phantom of the Opera sounded thrashy. Especially the buzz saw guitars and semi fast drumming definitely qualifies it as an early thrash like song.

To me that song is blueprint speed metal. But its slightly unusual structure foreshadows a lot of thrash.

Wow, what a song it is, though.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:32 pm 

Rainbow's "Kill the King" also

Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:37 pm 

Perhaps Symptom Of the Universe. I would not call it thrash entirely but definitely has some intense thrash riffage for 1975. Sheer Heart Attack by Queen was another good example of early thrash riffs, in 1977.

Triumph Street Fighter Suite was quite a bruising thrash metal riffs. It is a two part song, the first part simply titled Man is definitive proto-thrash metal. Thrash riffs, intense double bass insanity, soaring soprano vocals and thunderous bass lines with dark lyrical content. The second part simply titled Reprise is .... Folk music? The Folk element builds quite extravagantly to an amazing thrash metal finale before a classical guitar conclusion.

While not a thrash song perse, the same year Triumph did a number of Thrash breaks in the song Let Me Get Next To You. All of that in 1975.

ManAtArms
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:53 am 

If you leave out all the proto-stuff, WITCHING HOUR from 1981 is still the song to go. It's still considered a Thrash-song today on the contrary to all the other stuff that is mentioned here. .

The discussion brought me to rediscover "666" from Anvil and together with "March of the Crabs", it really does the job, but that record came out the following year...

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:20 am 

In case demo versions are in scope:

If we're going to quote music from 1981 onwards, Metal Church had Merciless Onslaught on a demo back then.
If we're talking 1982, there's more Metal Church, some Metallica and Anthrax (the Across the River part before Howling Furies).

If demos are out of scope, then obviously Ace of Spades.
Honourable mention to Gillan's Unchain your Brain (1980)

And yes, Triumph, while the whole song having many quiet parts, there is some proto-thrash riffing in that 1976 song. But the topic is "first thrash metal song".

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:36 am 

Necrobiotik wrote:
Burner is from 1993 unless there's a hidden demo version somewhere.

Necrobiotik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:22 am 

kalervon wrote:
Necrobiotik wrote:
Burner is from 1993 unless there's a hidden demo version somewhere.

I know,but it's Motorhead , and according to the archives, Motorhead plays Speed Metal that is basically Thrash Metal "before Thrash existed" ... And look the quotation marks. :nazi:

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:32 am 

Speed metal is not "thrash metal before thrash existed", speed metal is speed metal. But let's take your bullshit seriously for a minute, how could Burner potentially be the first of these songs ?

There are no quotation marks around the word first.

Necrobiotik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:08 pm 

So these examples given in the whole thread are not thrash metal too,man. :) Anyway nevermind then.
PS. What really matter is that Motorhead was a thrash metal band "before Thrash existed" . Don't know If the first, this is a hard and well subjective question.

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:52 am 

Necrobiotik wrote:
So these examples given in the whole thread are not thrash metal too,man. :) Anyway nevermind then.
PS. What really matter is that Motorhead was a thrash metal band "before Thrash existed" . Don't know If the first, this is a hard and well subjective question.

Motorhead simply provided more aggressive ways of execution, the way many others did in the late-70's/early-80's, on a couple of songs; that's all. Their significance regarding the spawning of the speed/thrash metal genres is by no means bigger than the one of any other band mentioned here.

The guys, like Lemmy (R.I.P.) had said it so well many times in the past, were just sticking to their own sped-up, noisier version of the good old rock'n roll... from where all things came if you think of it.

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:06 am 

idunnosomename wrote:
metalistkrieg wrote:

To me that song is blueprint speed metal. But its slightly unusual structure foreshadows a lot of thrash.

Wow, what a song it is, though.

One of the band's ten best songs, no doubt. Yeah, it can pass for a lot of things although I've always considered it an early template for the progressive metal roster, above all.

Ktulu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:34 pm 

It's Symptom of the Universe. Somebody close the thread, seriously.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next