Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:04 pm 

Yeah that was a real dumb-bastard way for the Vikings to squeeze through. But it's cool that it keeps alive the chance of them playing for a Super Bowl at home, which never happens.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:09 pm 

I wouldn't hate the Vikings so much if I didn't live in Minnesota, probably. The fans are almost all unbearable, so few things bring me greater joy than watching them lose.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:45 pm 

:scratch: I thought Minnesotans were generally recognized as among the nicest folks in the US. Is there something about football that turns them into arseholes?
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:53 pm 

I'd like to see a Vikings/Jags Superbowl. Both teams have never won one and it'd be nice to not see the goddamn Patriots in it AGAIN.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:33 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
:scratch: I thought Minnesotans were generally recognized as among the nicest folks in the US. Is there something about football that turns them into arseholes?

Football does that to everyone.

You fucker! :evil:

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:44 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:

"Minnesota nice" actually just means passive aggressive. Just as many assholes here as anywhere else.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:00 pm 

interesting to see how the mlb will be this year with only 29 teams.

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:47 pm 

Well, that was unexpected. McCutchen hasn't been stellar in awhile, but he's still young enough to bounce back (at least somewhat) and has been a big part of that team for years. I don't know enough about the Pirates rotation to know if they needed help there, but it still seems odd. The Giants grabbing him and Longoria is very odd. I understand wanting veterans, but those are big names that are (probably) past-prime. Throw in that the Giants aren't headed for the Series anytime soon, and I'm not seeing it from their angle either.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:40 am 

severzhavnost wrote:

We are the nicest people in the US, which is why we have the phrase "Minnesota Nice." All our aggressiveness is of the passive aggressive sort! Of which, we excel.

Vikings fans are probably no different than any other super dedicated sports fanatics. The Vikes have lost four Super Bowls and have, sadly, become known as a very chokey team when they're on the line. I'm not a big football fan (prefer baseball and sometimes hockey), but recall a season several years ago where the Vikings went essentially undefeated and choked on their last game prior to the Super Bowl, which drove everyone mad.

It would be pretty fascinating if the Vikings win the next game and have home field advantage at the Super Bowl in their fancy, gigantic new stadium. Thus far, of our four major sports teams, only the Twins have any championships under their belts.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:56 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
I'm not a big football fan (prefer baseball and sometimes hockey), but recall a season several years ago where the Vikings went essentially undefeated and choked on their last game prior to the Super Bowl, which drove everyone mad.

I was 8 years old and a Bears fan during the 1998 season, and even I understood how monumental of a choke that season was. It wasn't just that they were good, it's that they were statistically the greatest offense of all time at that point. Maybe not in total yardage, but in points scored they set the record, and their passing game was electrifying with Randall Cunningham's renaissance, Cris Carter proving his Hall of Fame worthiness, and Randy Moss setting the rookie touchdown record, not to mention Gary Anderson becoming the first kicker in history to never miss a single kick all season, and the whole team sending ten players, almost their entire starting squad, to the Pro Bowl that year. They had more plays of 40+ yards than any other team in history by a wide margin, won 80% of their games by a 10 point margin, never scored less than 24 themselves, and their only loss was by a field goal. What made that NFC Championship loss so shocking wasn't simply because they lost, but they lost because the most accurate single-season kicker in NFL history shanked a 38 yard shot and gave Atlanta a chance to retaliate and push the game to overtime, where Minnesota not only won the coin toss and couldn't convert any points, but Atlanta eventually won by kicking a game winning field goal from the exact same spot Gary Anderson missed from, 38 yards into the same uprights.

And because history hates the Vikings, not only are they the co-record holder with Buffalo for most Super Bowl appearances without a win, and their best team ever didn't even make it to the big dance, but The Greatest Show on Turf happened basically immediately afterwards and crushed all of their offensive accolades into dust, and then New England usurped their position as "best team to not win the championship" after their monumental choke in 2007 (where they also blew past every accomplishment Minnesota had set nearly a decade prior, with, if I'm remembering correctly, even Randy Moss himself breaking the TD record). That 1998 Vikings team has more or less been wiped from history. Absolutely fucking snakebitten.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:31 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:
I'm not a big football fan (prefer baseball and sometimes hockey), but recall a season several years ago where the Vikings went essentially undefeated and choked on their last game prior to the Super Bowl, which drove everyone mad.

I was 8 years old and a Bears fan during the 1998 season, and even I understood how monumental of a choke that season was. It wasn't just that they were good, it's that they were statistically the greatest offense of all time at that point. Maybe not in total yardage, but in points scored they set the record, and their passing game was electrifying with Randall Cunningham's renaissance, Cris Carter proving his Hall of Fame worthiness, and Randy Moss setting the rookie touchdown record, not to mention Gary Anderson becoming the first kicker in history to never miss a single kick all season, and the whole team sending ten players, almost their entire starting squad, to the Pro Bowl that year. They had more plays of 40+ yards than any other team in history by a wide margin, won 80% of their games by a 10 point margin, never scored less than 24 themselves, and their only loss was by a field goal. What made that NFC Championship loss so shocking wasn't simply because they lost, but they lost because the most accurate single-season kicker in NFL history shanked a 38 yard shot and gave Atlanta a chance to retaliate and push the game to overtime, where Minnesota not only won the coin toss and couldn't convert any points, but Atlanta eventually won by kicking a game winning field goal from the exact same spot Gary Anderson missed from, 38 yards into the same uprights.

And because history hates the Vikings, not only are they the co-record holder with Buffalo for most Super Bowl appearances without a win, and their best team ever didn't even make it to the big dance, but The Greatest Show on Turf happened basically immediately afterwards and crushed all of their offensive accolades into dust, and then New England usurped their position as "best team to not win the championship" after their monumental choke in 2007 (where they also blew past every accomplishment Minnesota had set nearly a decade prior, with, if I'm remembering correctly, even Randy Moss himself breaking the TD record). That 1998 Vikings team has more or less been wiped from history. Absolutely fucking snakebitten.

Your vivid remembrance of that year is amazing. My roommate at the time watched the entire season, getting swept up in the pomp and circumstance of the season. When that final game blew it all, he ragingly swore off ever watching football again! I haven't seen him among the celebratory Facebook posts, so maybe he stuck by that.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:27 pm 

I wonder how the '98 Vikings would have done against the Broncos in the Super Bowl? It would have been a much more interesting game than what it ended up being, I think.

Exkretor wrote:

c_
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:30 am 

StainedClass95 wrote:
Well, that was unexpected. McCutchen hasn't been stellar in awhile, but he's still young enough to bounce back (at least somewhat) and has been a big part of that team for years. I don't know enough about the Pirates rotation to know if they needed help there, but it still seems odd. The Giants grabbing him and Longoria is very odd. I understand wanting veterans, but those are big names that are (probably) past-prime. Throw in that the Giants aren't headed for the Series anytime soon, and I'm not seeing it from their angle either.

What are you talking about man? :lol:

McCutchen trade talks have been going on for the past 2 off-seasons, with SF always in the discussion. Unexpected? I'm surprised it didn't happen earlier, especially after all the drama with his defensive struggles, position-switch and oh yeah, trade talks, which was set into motion after he had a poor 2016. I'm pretty sure he almost got traded at the deadline last season as well. And I don't see what's odd about San Fransico trading for an outfielder after sending their starting CF to St. Pete in the Longo deal. That allows Pence, one of the oldest guys on the team, to move to a much less demanding position in LF and lets Cutch play RF. Now they just need a new center fielder and I'd bet on Lorenzo Cain signing with them.

As for it being odd signing Longo... Evan Longoria is still one of the best 3B in the game in my opinion. He got forgotten sometimes playing down at the Trop and he isn't the same as he was in '08, but his defense is as good as ever (he won the gold glove for AL 3B in 2017) and he is 2 years removed from a career year in all offense catagories in 2016. Until they signed Evan, the only 3B on San Fransico's roster was Pablo Sandoval, one of the biggest laughing-stocks in the game the past two years.

These two players are far from past their prime. Longo I just touched on and McCutchen is still hitting almost .300 for his career and hit something like .270 last year with at least 25 homeruns. That's still a damn solid player. Steller? Like MVP season steller? Probably not but just because he isn't MVP material anymore doesn't make him anything close to washed-up. I'd expect both player to shine in SF mostly due to the fact they won't be expected to carry the team, unlike in both players case for the former clubs.

I think with this team, especially if they sign a Lorenzo Cain, they have a great chance of going back to the World Series. San Fransico is always dangerous in the play-offs with Bruce Bochy at the helm. Bumgarner will be back from that retarded injury along with Queto and Shark. They have one of the best defensive infields in the game, the best catcher in the game and their offensive will be much improved.

For the record, I don't like the Giants.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:15 pm 

Another goddamn Patriots Super Bowl. :roll:

Exkretor wrote:

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:22 pm 

Nothing wrong with that, and I'm not even a Pats fan.

Everyone hated the Bulls in the 90s, too. And the Celtics before them.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:53 pm 

Let's go Iggles!

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:22 pm 

The tears of Vikings fans sustain me. Can't say I expected that kind of result though. Nick Foles is a mediocre QB whose only claim to fame is a season with roughly 20 dropped interceptions, but he had a monster game.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:25 pm 

Yep, and I'm going to make the super controversial prediction that all of his sudden talent is going to completely evaporate against the Patriots and Tom Brady is going to get ANOTHER fucking ring. I feel like that weird hand injury he sustained during practice last week was just the the universe resonating with the collective hate of millions of football fans.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:25 pm 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
The tears of Vikings fans sustain me.

ME TOO.

#WhoDatNation

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:44 pm 

rexxz wrote:
Nothing wrong with that, and I'm not even a Pats fan.

Everyone hated the Bulls in the 90s, too. And the Celtics before them.

It's not even about hating them, at least for me. I actually like Bill Belichick, but that's about as far as my appreciation for the Patriots go. I refuse to root for them unless they are playing against the Cowboys. I wanted to see the Jags get there because nobody expected anything from them when the season started. It would have been compelling to see two teams that had never won a Super Bowl (or in the case of the Jags, never been to one) duke it out for the title.

Exkretor wrote:

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:45 pm 

Yeah I hear you on that. Jags superbowl appearance would have been insane, in the best way possible.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:09 pm 

I suck at predictions I guess.

I picked Steelers vs Rams originally (both got knocked out in the first 2 rounds) then last weekend, it was gonna be Vikings vs Jaguars in the Super Bowl.

Thinking, Brady's hand injury would hamper the Patriots (it didn't) and the Eagles are playing with a mediocre backup quarterback and haven't looked particularly strong, in spite of winning. Don't know what happened to the Vikings. Someone forgot to tell them there was a football game yesterday, or something.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:04 am 

Nobody cares, but Australia has bowed out of the one day international series with England up 3-0 in the 5 game series. We didn't play anywhere near good enough to match it with the English attack. A total reversal of the test series where we killed them. A long pondering to be done by the Australians.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:28 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:
Don't know what happened to the Vikings. Someone forgot to tell them there was a football game yesterday, or something.

Yeah that's what we get with single elimination playoffs. One bad day can ruin a great team's entire season. It would be interesting to find out what the playoffs would be like if it were all best-of-3, but that many games would probably wear teams down way too much, or the playoffs would take 3 months.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:55 pm 

Anybody watch UFC 220? Was great to see both DC and Stipe defend their belts...though admittedly I missed most of the other bouts. Anything exciting? Also very excited for a Khabib/Ferguson title bout, that should be a fucking WAR...

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:26 am 

I was only able to catch the title fights as well. Very impressed with Stipe, although I expected he would pose a challenge for Ngannou provided he could avoid the big hits. I thought Oezdemir actually did better than expected, but DC is next level. If there was no such thing as Jon Jones, DC would probably be in the conversation as one of the greatest fighters ever.

Khabib and Ferguson should be great, but I think Tony is going to have a really tough time avoiding the takedown. If there is anyone in that division that can beat Khabib, I think Ferguson is the guy, but right now I would have to put my money on Khabib.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:27 pm 

ObservationSlave wrote:
I was only able to catch the title fights as well. Very impressed with Stipe, although I expected he would pose a challenge for Ngannou provided he could avoid the big hits. I thought Oezdemir actually did better than expected, but DC is next level. If there was no such thing as Jon Jones, DC would probably be in the conversation as one of the greatest fighters ever.

Khabib and Ferguson should be great, but I think Tony is going to have a really tough time avoiding the takedown. If there is anyone in that division that can beat Khabib, I think Ferguson is the guy, but right now I would have to put my money on Khabib.

If the controversy surrounding Jones' last drug test failure ever clears in his favor, I cannot wait to see another DC/JJ fight. I know DC has said he doesn't want to fight into his 40s, and I hope we get another matchup between the two before that happens!

I agree concerning Khabib/Ferguson; Khabib is just an absolute beast, every fight of his that I've seen he just ragdolls his opponent. Granted, Tony's jiu-jitsu is very high level and even if he's taken down he may be able to reverse or even get back to his feet, but Khabib...I dunno he just looks unstoppable right now.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:35 pm 

Tony's guard is his most potent weapon, his bottom game is among the best and that d'arce can be locked in from anywhere. Khabib has plenty of holes, but to exploit them you need to fight intelligently. Tony has the wrestling pedigree and the unique style to pull it off, if anyone. I also like Conor's chances against Khabib too, due to the way that he stuffs takedowns. He uses his right hand to post a frame on his opponents neck or shoulders and loads up with the left for a counter, rather than the most commonly used TDD techniques. When a wrestle-boxer enters the pocket, the most common dilemma facing a fighter is knowing if someone is going for a strike or a takedown. You can try using reads to predict a strike or takedown, but visual cues can be unreliable. A good wrestle-boxer will feint level changes to open you up and take advantage. What you want to do is post a frame with your weak hand, and if they enter looking to shoot, you can push against them and fire your power hand as they come in. It's a counter+TDD in one move. If they enter looking to strike, you release contact and perform a pull counter. He used this technique with devastating efficiency against both Chad Mendes and Eddy Alvarez. The tools are out there!

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:28 pm 

I'm a huge fan of Conor, but I don't think he would be able to stop Khabib's takedown and I think the Chad Mendes fight shows you his weakness against wrestlers. Although he did ultimately win the fight, Chad had him on the ground for the better part of a round and Conor could not do much about it. Khabib is bigger than Mendes and is also a better wrestler, so I don't see him having too much of a problem against Conor. I think Conor's only chance is tagging him early, which can definitely be done, but less likely than not.

One of the most incredible qualities of McGregor is his ability to get inside the head of his opponent. It doesn't always work (i.e. Nate Diaz), but when it does, it is pretty spectacular (i.e. Jose Aldo and Eddie Alvarez). Who else has gotten a veteran like Aldo to abandon his typical technical approach and rush in like a bull? No one else has even come close to match his level of psychological warfare.

I would really like to see Conor get back in the octagon, but I think him and Ferguson would be a better fight than him and Khabib. Unfortunately, I think Khabib will probably beat Ferguson and then ultimately set up the fight with McGregor.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:49 pm 

It all has to do with his specific style of takedown defense. I'm not saying he would win. I'm not even saying he would stop every takedown. I'm saying I like his chances based on analysis of his fights. He really does do it differently, if you go back and watch the Mendes and Alvarez fights, those being the two best wrestlers he's ever fought, you can see how in every single counter exchange from the pocket, he leads with his right to touch the neck/shoulder. From there he will either push back if he sense a takedown threat, or release and pull counter if it's a strike. I don't think I've seen any other striker in the UFC commit to that strategy and technique on a consistent basis like he does. This alone will be a massive difference compared to anyone Khabib has ever fought. Even Barbosa, who has very effective TDD for his division, had extremely poor defense strategy going into that fight. I also know Khabib likes to trust his chin to mount pressure and go for clinch takedowns on the fence primarily. I think a sniper like Conor would punish him much worse than Michael Johnson did. Like I said, I am just saying I like his chances.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:06 pm 

rexxz wrote:
I think a sniper like Conor would punish him much worse than Michael Johnson did. Like I said, I am just saying I like his chances.

I absolutely agree here, Conor has the power and speed to catch Khabib one good time if he attempts a takedown, and it could be all over after that. I think Khabib will have to be very careful choosing when he decides to move in...and I suppose if he isn't, we'll see how strong that chin is!

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:27 pm 

The Eagle has ruthless sambo/wrestling as we all know. We've seen him do his thing time and time again. I have just literally never seen anyone with the specific style of TDD that McGregor utilizes. If anyone is interested, I can do some freeze frames on those two fights that I mentioned, showing the exact setups, exchanges and technique that he uses. It is incredibly effective, especially against a guy like Khabib who isn't known for his explosiveness, but rather his relentless grind. It's a pretty good matchup either way. Actually I like any of the matchups between those 3 fighters--Tony, Khabib and Conor.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:23 pm 

Yeah, any of those three pitted together would make for a great fight. And if you have the time to do that freeze-frame stuff concerning Conor's technique I'd love to see it, I love breakdowns like that!

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:36 pm 

Any thoughts on the UFC middleweight division? I think it is the most intriguing weight class, because there is no clear-cut best fighter and there are quite a few guys who are one fight away from becoming Champ. As good as Whittaker has looked in his ascent to the top, I want to see him against a guy like Rockhold, who is massive for the weight class. I also still think Weidman has potential to get the belt again, but he has had it rough since his loss to Rockhold.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:33 am 

Crazy Super Bowl. I'm disappointed the Pats couldn't pull it off, but hats off to Doug Pederson for one of the best coaching performances I've ever seen. A lot of the credit will go to Nick Foles (and deservedly so), but the play calling was really phenomenal. It really came down to the Pats leaving more plays on the field than the Eagles.

Last edited by ObservationSlave on Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MetallicaTrueFan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:23 am 

Wow that was an amazing Super Bowl... a true underdog story for the ages. I got goosebumps in that final hail mary at the end. I am very happy that the Eagles were able to win their first Super Bowl and end their 57 year drought. After so much suffering, they deserve this!

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:44 am 

Yeah I almost didn't watch because I'm so sick of the Pats winning, and everyone going on and on about how Brady is the GOAT and bla bla bla. Was nice to see a team that's never won a Super Bowl take them down a peg with a backup QB and a 2nd year head coach.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:52 pm 

So what happens with Wentz? They're obviously keeping him but still. You think they're trading Foles?

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:31 pm 

I think they're going to trade Foles for some real good shit to one of the many teams hungry for a good QB.

Obfuscation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:55 pm 

Yeah, the only way it seems like Foles was staying was if Wentz wasn't going to be ready for the next season, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Much as I wouldn't mind Foles staying, good for him though. I can see him playing at that level like he did last night with another team and good coaching and I've read in some past interviews that he wouldn't mind starting again. What a game though, holy shit.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123 ... 136  Next