Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Steve Nebraska
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:27 pm 

I just like how some albums just has a out of place obnoxious yell that doesn’t fit the song. What albums do you people discover thus on?

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:15 am 

NPFTD/FOTD era Iron Maiden.

If you're ever wondering why Iron Maiden thought Blaze Bayley was a good replacement, it's because Bruce was delivering performances like this.

DividerOfShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:39 am 

Maybe Silencer's "Death - Pierce Me" would do the trick? I know some folks would say that the yells and screams serve the music, but my ears would kinda disagree.

And I'm still hoping for Katy Perry to do another Christian album.

My Last.fm

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:03 am 

"The Unspoken King"

MetallicaTrueFan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:25 am 

Phil Anselmo's Walk Through Exits Only... which might have been the point of the album!

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:36 pm 

MawBTS wrote:

If you're ever wondering why Iron Maiden thought Blaze Bayley was a good replacement, it's because Bruce was delivering performances like this.

What's so bad about it?

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:37 pm 

Most Meshuggah, The Unspoken King, and (sadly) Obscura. Not metal, but 95% of punk rock falls into this category for me as well.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:25 pm 

Agreed on Meshuggah. I'm going to see them this week so I've been listening to them for basically the first time recently. The vocals are just horrendously amateurish yells. There's no technique whatsoever and they massively overpower what seems to be interesting music. How the hell is palatable to anyone?

metalkeith
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:46 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Agreed on Meshuggah. I'm going to see them this week so I've been listening to them for basically the first time recently. The vocals are just horrendously amateurish yells. There's no technique whatsoever and they massively overpower what seems to be interesting music. How the hell is palatable to anyone?

Weird. I find them to be an essential element to the band's older work. They function, to my ears, as another percussive tool. While they tend to follow and reinforce the weird guitar riffs, they often do more for helping me find the "groove" than the 4/4 cymbals and snare.

I haven't listened a whole lot to their last few, but I did notice on the newest record that the vocals do more of a traditional "lead screamer" kind of thing, like Randy Blythe.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:38 pm 

Actually, the Meshuggah guy sounds pretty decent on the debut (which also happens to be the only album by them I care about). There he's like Justice era Hetfield on speed.

Every other performance after that though? Complete garbage.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:48 pm 

Pretty much anything with Phil Anselmo and Robb Flynn comes to mind. The former has gotten from charismatically obnoxious to toothlessly obnoxious while the latter has just straight up always been annoying.

Wrldeatr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:34 pm 

All of Araya's screaming in the last couple of Slayer albums make it hard for me to enjoy them.

~Guest 417309
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:49 pm 

Jens Kidman's flow is sick yall haters.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:22 am 

Wrldeatr wrote:
All of Araya's screaming in the last couple of Slayer albums make it hard for me to enjoy them.

Yeah, I still think he sounded absolutely best on Show No Mercy and Hell Awaits. He didn't just scream, he actually put some effort into creating an atmosphere.

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:32 am 

God Hates Us All. I can really get into a lot of the riffs and the drumming compliments it all really well, but some of Araya's vocals on this are just painful to listen to. I agree that his performances were better on the earlier albums. Maybe writing the same album for thirty years has something to do with it.

Also, Most of Machine Head's stuff. Sometimes Flynn can really belt out some great notes, and sometimes he can whine like there is no tomorrow.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:22 am 

GODFLESH
NEUROSIS
PARADISE LOST

(but it's <mostly> good)

eViLbOrIs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:26 pm 

I recall something Devin Townsend said in an interview from a while ago, how as a producer he would get sick and tired of producing bands whose vocalists sounded like they were 'screaming at you' the whole time. I believe speculation at the time was that he was referring to a Becoming The Archetype record he had recently produced. I like his choice of words, 'screaming at you'; there's a key distinction to my ears betwixt bands that growl and shout and screech in a manner that (arguably) augments the music they are vocalizing with, and bands that just sound like they are doing these things AT YOU, which grows tiresome so much sooner.
Good trades with: Satan_Laughs (x2), thrashbeast, jthompson (x2), Groanofthewind, Mantis44 (x2), Decry, Igor, Kelibat, Madcow, Vakshay, Mespheber, Lord_Domitian, orionmetalhead, J, mightypeniz, Jacobo123 etc...

Rasha_yad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:26 pm 

The Black Dahlia Murder - Everblack. I haven't listened to any other TBDM (in a long time anyway), so maybe other albums share this problem.

It's basically a pretty weak, shrill scream that's always at max intensity yet still never manages to sound the least bit menacing or powerful. The multilayered vocals are sometimes pretty cool though.

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:30 pm 

nekrosonic wrote:
Jens Kidman's flow is sick yall haters.

Agreed. Fucken "Suffer In Truth," "Corridor of Chameleons," "Bleed" - c'mon.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

GodlessDolphin
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:06 pm 

It's hard to out-obnoxious Flames of Hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbyCJ0BLhz0

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:16 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:
MawBTS wrote:

What's so bad about it?

Bruce sounds a bit grittier on those tunes but I thought it worked well. Still better than the tuneless hackery of the Blaze era.

putrenista
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:10 pm 

GodlessDolphin wrote:

That's the best part of that whole album! In the chorus, the first "Evil" that he goes into siren mode on. He sorta stuck with it for the rest of the song, but that first one in particular (at 00:50 sec) is so intense.

Steve Nebraska
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:53 pm 

GodlessDolphin wrote:

Winner!! Hahaha I’m still laughing!

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:10 pm 

Most of Dim Mak's material is ruined by shouty vocals.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:06 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:

Bruce sounds a bit grittier on those tunes but I thought it worked well. Still better than the tuneless hackery of the Blaze era.

The X Factor has to be one of the greatest works Iron Maiden has ever done.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:21 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:
Ace_Rimmer wrote:

I actually really, really like The X Factor as well. Blaze surely wasn't suited to sing the older tracks, and he isn't a great singer in general, but I think the darkness of his first Maiden album was pretty great.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

DividerOfShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:27 am 

InnesI wrote:
Thexhumed wrote:

I actually really, really like The X Factor as well. Blaze surely wasn't suited to sing the older tracks, and he isn't a great singer in general, but I think the darkness of his first Maiden album was pretty great.

The X Factor was the darkest album Iron Maiden ever recorded and I like it a lot. I don't think songs would suit Bruce's voice all that much. Blaze is really underrated as a singer and probably only because he found himself temporarily replacing Maiden's iconic singer and had to live in his shadow.

My Last.fm

agent_fist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:51 pm 

It's even better because her English is so incomprehensible.

fulcizombie
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:46 am 

The pantera/machine head style of vocals, the bro thing of the nineties , horrible.

~Guest 394415
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:52 pm 

Last edited by ~Guest 394415 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simonitro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:56 pm 

DividerOfShadows wrote:
Maybe Silencer's "Death - Pierce Me" would do the trick? I know some folks would say that the yells and screams serve the music, but my ears would kinda disagree.

I was actually gonna mention this. The guy sounds like someone complaining to his teacher in junior high school that someone stole his bike or something... it's like: "TEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAACHEEEEEEER!!! SOMEONE STOLE MY BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKE!!!! eh!"

And yeah, I hated this so much. Fucking stupid!!

DividerOfShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:08 pm 

agent_fist wrote:

It's even better because her English is so incomprehensible.

I do realise that thrash metal mostly utilises yelling as a main vocal technique, but this is simply ridiculous. I love it. Thrash. Thrash! THRAAAAAAAASH!!!

Yeah, and lyrics are super funny too: "Let's make love in the pool! Let's make love in the refrigerator!"

My Last.fm

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:48 pm 

Peter Dolving on the first album by The Haunted-the vocal approach is one of the most ridiculously over the top, in your face straight shouting performances I've ever heard. No singing (save for "In Vein"), no growling, no shrieking, no screaming, just an insanely angry dude shouting as much as his lungs will physically allow him to do.

To me, this further aides in the blunt intensity of this album, which is bluntly intense to begin with, instrumentally speaking.
Obliteration

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:58 pm 

Sadistik Exekution did this a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qETYenbPNg

Nazgul1974
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:36 pm 

I´m sorry for what I´m going to say, at risk of being bullied here, but as a big fan of Death, I just can´t stand Chuck´s vocals in The Sound of Perseverance, they are so weak, almost girly.

Headless420
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:57 pm 

Anything from Cannibal Corpse with George on vocals aside from maybe Vile which has a tasteful mix on the vocals IMO.

Horna's sanojesi äärelle has really loud vocals that are probably too loud but wholly match the aggresiveness on this release.

https://youtu.be/sxUtxcoEU_o?t=655

Necrobiotik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:10 pm 

Nazgul1974 wrote:
I´m sorry for what I´m going to say, at risk of being bullied here, but as a big fan of Death, I just can´t stand Chuck´s vocals in The Sound of Perseverance, they are so weak, almost girly.

Yeah,specially in his version of Painkiller. Unnecessarily forced. On the other hand,Mille Petrozza's vocals since Violent Revolution got just weak for me,without that unique characteristic of the Extreme Aggression album.
The fact that they naturally will never sing in their better voice again it's a shame.
Chuck is dead , i know. :-D

putrenista
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:16 am 

Nazgul1974 wrote:

But aren't you just trying to bully a dead guy by saying his vocals are "so weak, almost girly." Kinda of a stupid criticism to me; of course you don't have to like the vocals there, but why do you have bring out those tired old tropes of associating women as being lesser than? His vocals are certainly higher pitched on the album, as compared to the previous albums. It was just a different take on the music he was creating at the time. I think he was looking to go beyond Death and do something more melodic obviously, and felt singing that way was a better fit with those arrangements.

Necrobiotik wrote:
Yeah,specially in his version of Painkiller. Unnecessarily forced. On the other hand,Mille Petrozza's vocals since Violent Revolution got just weak for me,without that unique characteristic of the Extreme Aggression album.
The fact that they naturally will never sing in their better voice again it's a shame.
Chuck is dead , i know. :-D

I do agree about Mille since the 2000s basically. But I think Chuck on that Painkiller cover sounds incredible. He really went over the top to try and do that song right, but with a little bit of a death metal edge.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:56 am 

the Painkiller cover doesn't suck because of the vocals (they are wack but they're consistently wack through the album and are appropriate considering the cover's source material). the Painkiller cover sucks because they somehow manage to play it SLOWER than the original and totally fuck up the solos to boot. breaks my fucking heart everytime I hear someone say they prefer it over the original.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:21 am 

I think Chuck's high-pitch screaming sounds great on "Sound of Perseverance" as well as on the somewhat divisive Painkiller cover (I wouldn't say it's better than the original, but I have always loved it just for how he managed to be faithful to the source material while basically turning it into a Death song). I also absolutely love the insane Halford-esque screams he does there, he sounds like a fucking air raid siren :lol:. That shit is objectively goddamn impressive!

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next