Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:44 am 

I just saw Valerie and Her Week of Wonders. it's such a bizarre Czech fantasy film about death, religion and erotica - there's some gothic horror scenes appearing from time to time which made me think of Panna a netvor (which is also a Czech film) while the somewhat erotic/vague scenes made me think of Possession from 1981. Not sure what to make of this one so far as the plot doesn't seem to make a lot of sense at first, but at the same time there's something odd about the plot and all that I'd like to give it another go later on.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:14 pm 

So, about The Last Jedi.

How is Abrams going to wrap up the trilogy with this movie as the middle portion? It seems like it was explicitly designed to reject everything that the last one stood for, and for the most part succeeded in doing so---fatally. Irreversibly. The new director makes the most nagging mystery from the last movie irrelevant and ends two character arcs that Abrams clearly intended to be in the third film.

I mean, I didn't hate the film. But from a chronological and thematic standpoint I don't see how it can coexist in the same canon chronology as episode 7. More accurately, I don’t see how the person who crafted episode 7’s vision can finish it now that said vision has been pretty thoroughly nuked. This would have been better served as a concluding film rather than a middle portion, or---with different characters---as part of a different SW film series.

The counterpoint to this argument: Leia totally wanting to bone Luke in one movie, then in the next one she knew all along they were siblings. Riiiiiiiiight.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:07 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
So, about The Last Jedi.

How is Abrams going to wrap up the trilogy with this movie as the middle portion? It seems like it was explicitly designed to reject everything that the last one stood for, and for the most part succeeded in doing so---fatally. Irreversibly. The new director makes the most nagging mystery from the last movie irrelevant and ends two character arcs that Abrams clearly intended to be in the third film.

I mean, I didn't hate the film. But from a chronological and thematic standpoint I don't see how it can coexist in the same canon chronology as episode 7. More accurately, I don’t see how the person who crafted episode 7’s vision can finish it now that said vision has been pretty thoroughly nuked. This would have been better served as a concluding film rather than a middle portion, or---with different characters---as part of a different SW film series.

The counterpoint to this argument: Leia totally wanting to bone Luke in one movie, then in the next one she knew all along they were siblings. Riiiiiiiiight.

That's a really good question....but considering how Lost ended, I wouldn't be surprised if episode 9 was bullshit. Im one of those people that more or less hated the final season.

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:25 pm 

"National Bird": A pretty interesting documentary about U.S. drone strikes and civilian casualties, narrated by veterans who worked on drone crews.

"Anvil! The Story of Anvil": I'm pretty sure most of us here on MA have heard of this one. It was okay, but I've never been an Anvil fan, really. The guys in the band are cool, though, so I finished watching the movie in its entirety.

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:08 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
So, about The Last Jedi.

The counterpoint to this argument:

Is that Ep 7's arcs probably weren't going to be very good anyways. At this point, I'd be very comfortable with the 9th continuing from the 8th with Force Awakens existing as a, "first pancake."

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:52 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
So, about The Last Jedi.

This is a major franchise owned by Disney. The director's barely matter. It's what Disney wants out of the story moving forward. The impression I get is that they listened to a lot of the gripes about the predictable safety of Episode 7 and applied maybe too many changes to mix things up with 8. The more I think about 8, the more I like it. A lot of character development was slow, but I completely loved where it went in the end, easily refusing to "just" lead to another Return of the Jedi.

The first film seemed to have little in mind outside of "give fans that old comfortable flavor" just to curry favor, which is a bad way to set up a new trilogy. I think Ep8 set up the overall story better, despite the slog of a beginning to the film.

I did enjoy that--at long last--a Star Wars movie had an actual morally gray character. I wonder what that was like for George Lucas when he saw it. He probably didn't realize characters could muddy the middle.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:45 pm 

I just saw Up for the first time. Yeah, I'll fucking admit it: I cried. It's a touching story, and even though it was very sad at times, it also manages to weave a lot of humor and genuinely happy moments. Also, the music was beautiful.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:11 am 

Watched "P2" and "Solace" last night. "P2" was an entertaining little movie, I even enjoyed Wes Bentley for once. Some unexpectedly nasty gore, a little Elvis, and you've got a good movie. As for "Solace," seemed like a waste of Hopkins, Colin Farrell, and Jeffrey Dean Morgan - but not Abbie Cornish, who is a terrible actress.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:01 am 

Kingsman: The Golden Circle

I fucking hated Kingsman 1, so naturally I made sure to watch the sequel. I'd say it was a remake of the first that improved on it in most ways, the tedious histrionics and shocks-for-the-sake-of-shocks were brought down to manageable levels and the action scenes were longer and more expensive (and therefore better). Also, no phoned performance from Michael Caine this time. Everything felt a lot more cartoonish and augmented, and that playful spirit resonated throughout the (way overlong) 2.5 hour runtime. Don't get me wrong, it's still a dumb, cynical, focus tested studio action flick made for virginal edgey teens and adults who still wish they were edgey teens and also not still virgins, but at least this time there's some fun to be had along the way. 6/10
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:15 am 

Of course you like the shittier sequel.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:19 am 

It wouldn't be darkeningday if up wasn't down and pie wasn't cake.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:40 pm 

Sometimes pie can be cake, though. Boston cream, for.example.

darkeningday wrote:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:05 pm 

I wouldn't say I liked it. Never pegged you for a generic-ass, assembly line comic book origin story fan, acid.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:14 pm 

I'm not, but the sophomoric humor and edgelord levels of ultraviolence in the first struck a nerve with me. It made me feel like I was 10 and discovering Spawn again. The sequel just...doesn't work in the same way. Julianne Moore was completely wasted, that goes triple for Channing Tatum, and side characters from the first that helped make it work were either killed off unceremoniously or treated as though they didn't exist.

That's the exact opposite of what a sequel should do, but the two sequels of Millar properties managed to do it.

darkeningday wrote:

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:36 pm 

The Layover - Alexandra Daddario and Kate Upton are roommates who just lost their jobs. They decide to go on a trip together, during which they end up competing for a guy who looks like he barely missed being cast as Thor. Sounds like a gender-swapped remake of Dumb & Dumber, and although it never approached that movie's brilliance, it was sort of amusing at times.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:27 am 

acid_bukkake wrote:
I'm not, but the sophomoric humor and edgelord levels of ultraviolence in the first struck a nerve with me. It made me feel like I was 10 and discovering Spawn again. The sequel just...doesn't work in the same way. Julianne Moore was completely wasted, that goes triple for Channing Tatum, and side characters from the first that helped make it work were either killed off unceremoniously or treated as though they didn't exist.

That's the exact opposite of what a sequel should do, but the two sequels of Millar properties managed to do it.

I'm with you. Kingsman 1 I went in thinking I'd hate it with the "bruv", "you wot mate?", "well 'ard innit!" of the main character but I was actually swayed. I enjoyed it. Golden Circle I watched immediately after and was sorely let down. It fucking blew. Totally nonsensical plot that made the first one look golden. Moore hammed it up. Love her, but she made no sense. Just... what. Plus that Elton John shit got old fast.

I also saw Spiderman Homecoming. Laying this down now: Amazing Spiderman (the first, not 2) stomps the shit out of that movie. What a disappointment after all that Homecoming hype.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:11 pm 

You guys are nuts. A supervillian who gave everyone in the world free internet, mobile and data in order to cause their brains to go haywire by sending out a data pulse is less nonsensical than the sequel? I couldn't give a shit about anyone in the first movie, they were all written like a British person was trying to think of what an American person thinks that a British person sounds like. Case/Point: "You just jacked his keys! And now I'm gonna nick his car." Don't even tell me you remember empty husks of people like Charlie and Roxy and, ugh, Michael Caine's character. And sorry, but a weaksauce knockoff of the Westboro Baptist Church couldn't really get me excited about haveing to watch Firth arduously polish off half of them, in a scene no doubt loved the world over by tweenage boys. The whole movie was just a cynical attempt to flog MR PORTER merchandise anyway, don't pretend it was anything more than that.

The second wasn't either mind you, but at least they had more money so more and better action scenes, sharper dialog, more interesting setpieces, far better music, some genuienly good writing (like how you're left wondering about Firth's reliability for most of his time on screen), and a goddamn brilliant musical number implemented really, really well. Obviously, it was still flawed: Gambon's casting was pointless (albeit still better than Michael Caine lol), Tatum was clearly just a plant for the inevitable sequel, Julianne Moore didn't really have any kind of motivation, the guy who joins The Golden Circle early on is basically just pointless, etc etc.

But hey. At least they never mentioned "nicking cars."

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:41 pm 

We saw The Art of Flight yesterday for the third time:
https://www.filmaffinity.com/en/film290822.html
http://viviendoapesardelacrisis.blogspot.com.es/2013/10/the-art-of-flight.html

Impressive! :thumbsup:

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:18 pm 

darkeningday wrote:

I fucking hated Kingsman 1, so naturally I made sure to watch the sequel. I'd say it was a remake of the first that improved on it in most ways, the tedious histrionics and shocks-for-the-sake-of-shocks were brought down to manageable levels and the action scenes were longer and more expensive (and therefore better). Also, no phoned performance from Michael Caine this time. Everything felt a lot more cartoonish and augmented, and that playful spirit resonated throughout the (way overlong) 2.5 hour runtime. Don't get me wrong, it's still a dumb, cynical, focus tested studio action flick made for virginal edgey teens and adults who still wish they were edgey teens and also not still virgins, but at least this time there's some fun to be had along the way. 6/10

I feel like it's actually this opinion on a fun spy movie that's the edge lord.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:50 pm 

Best Buy of all places had Transformers The Movie (1986) on blu-ray. I'm stoked! That was my all-time favorite movie as a kid and now thinking back, probably why I like heavy metal now. (I have a distinct memory of playing the air-guitar during the closing credits and my grandma exclaiming, "you actually LIKE this music?!?" - I was probably five years old haha.)

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:52 am 

Kerrick wrote:
Best Buy of all places had Transformers The Movie (1986) on blu-ray. I'm stoked! That was my all-time favorite movie as a kid and now thinking back, probably why I like heavy metal now. (I have a distinct memory of playing the air-guitar during the closing credits and my grandma exclaiming, "you actually LIKE this music?!?" - I was probably five years old haha.)

That movie got a Blu-Ray special edition release last year, as I recall. So it's no surprise Best Buy had it.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:54 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
That movie got a Blu-Ray special edition release last year, as I recall. So it's no surprise Best Buy had it.

It's been in my Amazon wish-list for a while but it got super expensive (~$70). I didn't realize that the steelbook version (which I think has all the same special features and everything) is affordable and readily available. I thought I just totally scored at BB. I'm looking forward to watching it again soon though.

This also makes me want to watch the G.I. Joe movie of the same era. I loved that one as a kid too.

Last night the wife and I watched Bullit. Great flick. Steve McQueen truly is (was) the king of cool.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:00 pm 

Kerrick wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

It's been in my Amazon wish-list for a while but it got super expensive (~$70). I didn't realize that the steelbook version (which I think has all the same special features and everything) is affordable and readily available. I thought I just totally scored at BB. I'm looking forward to watching it again soon though.

This also makes me want to watch the G.I. Joe movie of the same era. I loved that one as a kid too.

Last night the wife and I watched Bullit. Great flick. Steve McQueen truly is (was) the king of cool.

Ha, that G.I. Joe movie. The guy who voices Starscream and Cobra Commander is the same guy, I think, and both have terrible fates.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:08 pm 

Yup I think you're right. He's got a very iconic voice.

Did you know that...
Spoiler: show
Apparently, G.I. Joe was to be released first and in it Joe was killed. But it got delayed for some reason and so Transformers came out first. People were so upset that Optimus Prime was killed that it caused the producers or whoever to make last-minute edits so Joe lives. Had G.I. Joe been released first as planned, Optimus probably would've survived!

MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:09 pm 

I watched The Belko Experiment and Mayhem the other day. They both have a similar setting, in that the employees of an office building are forced to/end up killing each other, often with brutal results. I wouldn't say either of them are great in terms of plot or characters, but they are both fun as hell. I'd say Mayhem is the better of the two, though both are recommended!

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:00 pm 

Kerrick wrote:
Yup I think you're right. He's got a very iconic voice.

Did you know that...
Spoiler: show
Apparently, G.I. Joe was to be released first and in it Joe was killed. But it got delayed for some reason and so Transformers came out first. People were so upset that Optimus Prime was killed that it caused the producers or whoever to make last-minute edits so Joe lives. Had G.I. Joe been released first as planned, Optimus probably would've survived!

Hasbro was all about killing it's characters, apparently. I guess the company didn't realize at the time that they had created popular and iconic characters. The whole point of the original Transformers movie was to kill the old toy line and introduce a crop of new characters. While some of them became popular (like Galvatron, Springer, Arcee, Hot Rod, Unicron, Ultra Magnus, and Cyclonus), most fans wanted to continue adventures with the original fellas. Which is what led to Generation 2, eventually.

Kind of like if they killed all the original Ninja Turtles and replaced them with a team of new guys. People loved Leonardo, Rafael, Michelangelo, and Donatello. They weren't ready to warm up to Steve, Brad, Frank, and Gary. In some ways, it's amazing the Transformers franchise survived, since it languished so badly in the mid-90's. I'm glad it did, though. I happen to be a fan. Now if they could give the live-action movies to people who understood character development.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:14 pm 

Interesting! It makes sense for a toy company to constantly be cranking out new toys for parents to buy their kids...

Haha yeah the new Michael Bay flicks leave lots to be desired, though in their defense, it's not like there was a whole lot of character development in the cartoons either.

I just noticed your custom rank. :)

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:07 pm 

Kerrick wrote:
Interesting! It makes sense for a toy company to constantly be cranking out new toys for parents to buy their kids...

Haha yeah the new Michael Bay flicks leave lots to be desired, though in their defense, it's not like there was a whole lot of character development in the cartoons either.

I just noticed your custom rank. :)

The original G1 cartoons are actually better written than I remember. My son and I watched Season 1 only a few months ago, and they had a continuing and ever-developing plotline, which was out of place in 80's kids' shows. So many of them were literally the same plot recycled every episode. Every episode of Thundercats is the same, and that's true of Voltron as well. Voltron is actually worse. Bad guys send monster to fight good guys, good guys send robot cats, robot cats fail, robot cats become Voltron, Voltron succeeds. Every. Single. Episode.

But the bulk of character development occurred in the comics stories, the bulk of which I've been reading--or was until I got distracted a couple months ago. The comics were a mix of continuing storylines and working in new characters as Hasbro created them. Some characters created by the comics that didn't actually see toy releases until far later.

Transformers writing (on film/TV) peaked with Beast Wars. We'll see how the next movie (the Bumblebee movie) works, as it's Bay-free, and directed by the guy that did Kubo and the Two Strings.

Also, ha, I've had this custom title for years. Someone caught that once, and said, "wouldn't that make you Waspinator?" D'oh! It was not my intention, but eh.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:30 pm 

Well now I want to watch the TV series again! I used to enjoy watching it when I was a kid, but haven't seen it for probably two decades now. And we often were out and about Saturday mornings so I only caught a handful of episodes anyways. I've never read the comics.

I did watch Beast Wars pretty regularly though after a couple seasons was when I was beginning to get "too old" for cartoons haha. I have a ton of those toys somewhere in my parents' attic...

LOL yeah, I suppose that would be Waspinator! He was one of the first Beast Wars toys I got. Fun times.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:42 pm 

That Bumblebee movie is still happening? I sort of assumed any future live action Transformers movies were unlikely to move forward after the massive worldwide box office decline between parts 4 and 5. The Last Knight made only a little more than half of what Age of Extinction did. Not a sign of a healthy franchise whose fans are eager for spinoffs.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:59 am 

Quote:
The original G1 cartoons are actually better written than I remember. My son and I watched Season 1 only a few months ago, and they had a continuing and ever-developing plotline, which was out of place in 80's kids' shows. So many of them were literally the same plot recycled every episode. Every episode of Thundercats is the same, and that's true of Voltron as well. Voltron is actually worse. Bad guys send monster to fight good guys, good guys send robot cats, robot cats fail, robot cats become Voltron, Voltron succeeds. Every. Single. Episode.

You're watching the wrong Voltron. It's been awhile, but I recall that the other version, where 15 or so little ships connected to make Voltron, was less formulaic and had better animation too.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:08 am 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
darkeningday wrote:

I feel like it's actually this opinion on a fun spy movie that's the edge lord.

But I thought it was a fun spy movie. What's edgey about that?

Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:08 am 

The trailer has been released for the newest Hellraiser film, the tenth film called Judgment and for a film that is direct to video it looks okay. Not great but certainly not bad. Granted the bar for Hellraiser has been set very low with the last five films but this one does appear to have some charm.

1. Focusing on the police force. Instead of making it about - and failing of course - a family dynamic or some kind of female reporter, this time it is about an entire police force being sucked into the world. To me, this raises the stakes and could either make or break the film.
  2. Chatterer. IMO, Chatterer was the best design of all the original Cenobites and while I did not like the removal of his lower body in Hellraiser: Inferno, it is always surreal to see that facial prosthetic. I do not know how much he will be in this film but just the fact he is returning is a point in this films favor.
  3. The look of Pinhead. While it is true that no one will ever truly be Pinhead except for Doug Bradley, at least this version looks a LOT like Pinhead did in the first two films. The color of his skin, the rugged lines on his head and the voice is nearly identical. I do not want to give too much credit off just a trailer but this film, like all of them since Hellraiser 3, will be weighed on how well Pinhead is. Paul Taylor has some mighty big shoes to fill but if the film takes the course of the first two then it will work.

RANT:

You can always tell if a moviegoer has missed the point of Hellraiser if they point to the Cenobites as the bad guys, they ARE NOT. Not counting the awful sequels 3-9, the bad guys in the first two films were Frank & Julia Cotton and Philip Channard. Every single bad moment in those two films are a result of the selfish actions these three engage in and the Cenobites are just carrying out their assignment ordered by their God, Leviathan. They do not kill at random and only take any unfortunate enough to open the Lament Configuration.

I have wanted to do a run through/review of all 9 films here, ordering them from worst to best, but I will keep it short. So...

FRANCHISE REVIEW: (From worst to best)

1. Hellraiser 9: This film was awful. Not a single redeemable quality.
  2. Hellraiser 8: Hellraiser as a video game? I did not think a films script could file for bankruptcy.
  3. Hellraiser 7: A few good scenes but Deader. Fucking Deader?
  4. Hellraiser 3: This actually has a near identical script as 7 but at least this one has the best soundtrack of all the films and while I disagree with turning the Cenobites into slasher villains, this film did it best with the Boiler Room scene. Not only is the scene itself awesome but the first time I ever watched the film, the opening moments of the scene had a song playing that made me come back to the room in disbelief. I had to rewind the VHS and sure enough it was Troublemaker by Triumph; surprising that a band known for being positive and inspirational would have one of their songs in the most iconic scene of a franchise where hundreds of people are brutally murdered. * Side Note * It is also one of the songs I point to whenever someone stupidly says Triumph were not a Metal band.
  5. Hellraiser 5: Someone watched Jacobs Ladder too many times. As good an actor as Craig Scheffer is, he is NOT Tim Robbins. The script is not even close either. Also, why make a film where the protagonist makes the Cenobites look like caring church-goers? I honestly thought there would be a scene where Scheffer would twiddle some thin mustache and yell, "Someone get me a pregnant lady to punch!"
  6. Hellraiser 4: I have mixed feeling about this film. Reading the directors notes, the original script and seeing some of the unfinished scenes, shows this movie could have been great. The film we all got however was seriously subpar and I would love to see this film as it was originally intended.
  7. Hellraiser 6: What is almost an identical story as 5, at least this film has better writing and acting by Mayhem himself - Dean Winters - and Ashley Laurence who I was happy to see return. There was only two aspects that held this film back, the first was the terrible CGI. The second was the destruction of Kirsty Cotton's character. How do you take a character who was an innocent accidentally forced into the evil situation and turn her into a murderer?
  8. Hellraiser 2: Not as great as the original, it was the closest in story, tone, mood and atmosphere. The killing of the Cenobites was a serious blow though. How could they do that to the best part of this film?
  9. HELLRAISER: This may surprise some but I do not immediately see this film as horror but a drama film with some horror elements/overtones. It is a character study about carnal desires waiting to blossom in a forbidden romance that drives the characters to react intuitively instead of with reason. Honestly, the horror overtones could contrast but it is so expertly written/acted that it works. I also love how hidden and secretive the Cenobites are, but also how awesome they are referenced. Their proper introduction towards the end is one of the finest scenes in all horror films, the "We'll Tear Your Soul Apart" scene.

~Guest 414160
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:45 am 

The Last Jedi - what a fucking disgrace!... I've been a fan of the first trilogy since '84, although, I'm not hardcore, but even I know that this movie is a fucking joke! I want to smash Johnson & Co. to pieces.

Even though Abrams' Force Awakens was a fan pandering rehash of A New Hope, he created enough good story arcs to give the next movie a platform to work from; Johnson completely fucked! it up. There are so many awful moments and flaws... It's a joke!

I've subsequently revisited Lucas' prequels, which are far superior, in comparison. Granted, some of the dialogue is ridiculously bad. Secondly, both Hayden C. and Natalie P.'s performances are very wooden-probably not helped by Lucas' direction. The other issue is that there's too much CGI abuse, and everything looks ridiculously computer generated. CGI shouldn't have been used as complete substance, and there should have been more traditional techniques used to give it that organic Star Wars feel. Aside from the glaring flaws, the general story is still very good, with good story arcs; you can sense that Lucas genuinely cares about the Star Wars universe and how the stories lead to Ep. IV, A New Hope.

Fuck!, Disney, Kennedy, and Johnson.

Also, Theron is excellent in Atomic Blonde, and there's a truly great fight scene on a stairwell which needs to be checked out by anyone who hasn't seen it.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:43 am 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
That Bumblebee movie is still happening? I sort of assumed any future live action Transformers movies were unlikely to move forward after the massive worldwide box office decline between parts 4 and 5. The Last Knight made only a little more than half of what Age of Extinction did. Not a sign of a healthy franchise whose fans are eager for spinoffs.

Yeah, it's still happening, and free from Michael Bay. Beyond that movie, the film franchise is a bit of an unknown. From all that's been revealed, the Bumblebee movie will take place in the 80's, he's a VW Bug again, and it's directed by Travis Knight, who directed charming stop-motion animated film, Kubo and the Two Strings. The Bumblebee movie will be his live-action directorial debut. It comes out next year and the budget is apparently quite a bit more somber than Last Knight. Here's hoping for some character development.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:51 am 

Psyche_Dome wrote:
Also, Theron is excellent in Atomic Blonde, and there's a truly great fight scene on a stairwell which needs to be checked out by anyone who hasn't seen it.

I thought that movie had some solid fight scenes that didn't reek of the over-choreographed dances we see in nearly every other action movie these days. They felt much more organic. The double-triple-quadruple turns among twists and more twists ending annoyed me, though.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:12 am 

Holy shit, I went to see Loving Vincent last night. What an undertaking. The story holds up on it's own and would have made an above-average period piece/biography film; but the way it was constructed into what it is, is incredible. Highly, HIGHLY recommended.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:13 am 

So I gave in to peer pressure and went and saw Jumanji with some friends. And, y'know what? It was pretty good. Easily the best thing Jack Black has done since Tropic Thunder. There were several laugh out loud moments. Even Dwayne Johnson was funny.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:23 am 

The joke success rate for jumanji was about 50/50, but good fun nonetheless.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:49 pm 

Speaking of Jack Black, I started watching Shallow Hal for some reason. It manages to simultaneously be both sweet and hyper offensive at all times. It also reminds me that Gwenyth Paltrow is one of the worst things to ever come out of Hollywood. She's like a female Liam Hemsworth.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 691, 692, 693, 694, 695, 696, 697 ... 818  Next