Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:16 pm 

Inspired by a thread on another board...

There are some bands that can rightfully be dubbed a "t-shirt band," meaning people wear their shirts to be trendy but aren't really fans. The three agreed upon were Misfits, Ramones and Motorhead. I was wondering if there were any others.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:31 pm 

Cradle of Filth

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:32 pm 

Iron Maiden is one of the first that comes to mind. I don't know if it's really a case of people who aren't fans wearing them. Sure there are posers out there but I think it comes down to bands like these just appealing to a wide variety of music fans and subcultures.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:38 pm 

Bathory, Nirvana and Slayer are also pretty common. Bathory a little less then the other two, of course, but still. A lot of people know that Bathory is an iconic figure of black metal, so they wear the band's t-shirt to show they are kvlt.

MDL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:42 pm 

Don't forget about Guns n Roses and Rolling Stones. Many still think those are clothing brands

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:43 pm 

I only own three band shirts and I don't actually care about any of the bands they belong to. Amaranthe, Huntress, and The Raven Age are the three bands. Cool looking shirts, but again, I don't care about the bands.

Last edited by tahu157 on Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:18 pm 

I've seen GnR, AC/DC, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Slayer, Rolling Stones in general clothes stores like Topshop and Primark, where they're clearly no more than brands.

Of course I think if you take a Slayer lace trim vest to the counter the cashier should be like "could please hum the main riff to Raining Blood? ... I'm sorry ma'am, I can't sell this to you"

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:26 pm 

I've seen a fair number of Pitchfork readers wearing Burzum t's. Now, they could be fans of Burzum by working backwards through post metal, but it seems like a stretch to me.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:04 pm 

It's one thing to wear a shirt of a band you don't really care about, either because you like the logo, it's a perfectly good shirt, or you want to support the band for whatever reason. But to wear a particular band's shirt just to fit in to a particular crowd, or to "look cool"- well, I can think of a description that rhymes with "Dozer." I see it a lot more with the pseudo punk crowd though. Misfits, Ramones, and Dead Kennedy's shirts for the wannabe Fallout Boys to express their punk cred. I've also seen bubblegum pop stars in AC/DC and Metallica shirts and at first thought, "Metallica...Cool!" but seriously... Would these people actually be able to name a Metallica song that ISN'T on "Load" or "Reload?"

I guess in the end it doesn't bother me that much. All in all, people have the right to wear whatever they want.

Steve Nebraska
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:09 pm 

What about some guys girlfriend who borrows their dying fetus hoodie to go to the store?

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:34 pm 

This thread reminded me of something...I was in high school, an emo kid walked in to the lunchroom wearing an Iron Maiden shirt. My friend walked up to him to ask if he liked the band and he said "No I hate them, they suck, now get the fuck away from me." :lol: Never found out why he was wearing the shirt if he hated them so much, but regardless I always thought that exchange was absolute gold.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:53 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
I've seen a fair number of Pitchfork readers wearing Burzum t's. Now, they could be fans of Burzum by working backwards through post metal, but it seems like a stretch to me.

An equal amount of those "Purzum" shirts as well from the company Anchorsand

halfformedfetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:26 pm 

A strange one for me was seeing these worn around by trendy types around Melbourne alot. Not sure where they are being purchased but the people wearing them would have no idea what the original artwork was from.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:20 am 

...I take it that shirt is NOT referencing the Swedish acid-rock band (whose logo does actually look like that)

Speaking of Goat (the Swedish band) Their album is one of those "non-metal albums you'd give 100%" by the way.

putrenista
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:12 am 

That "Purzum" shirt is pretty great. Hadn't seen that one before.

This thread reminds of a quote from Fenriz. I'm paraphrasing, but basically he was saying the difference between Motorhead and Nickelback is that yeah, Nickelback may sell millions of records and be more popular, but you never see anyone wearing a Nickelback shirt because their fans are ashamed and they influence no one.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:41 am 

Back in the day, it was easier to tell them apart. Only tees obtained at shows had the tour dates on the back. The same tee from the mall did not. Probably not true anymore.

~Guest 343918
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:59 am 

When I saw the thread title, I instantly thought of bands who have a disproportionate amount of merchandise, for example Urfaust. (They seem to have stopped churning out t-shirt once a week, though, but a few years back it was relentless.)

Also, those "Purzum" type of shirts and the people who buy and/or wear them are garbage, and your "don't take it so seriously" argument is invalid.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:14 am 

tahu157 wrote:
I only own three band shirts and I don't actually care about any of the bands they belong to. Amaranthe, Hunetress, and The Raven Age are the three bands. Cool looking shirts, but again, I don't care about the bands.

just curious, why do you have those shirts in the first place?
did you buy them yourself because they're cool looking shirts, or do you just happen to have them (handouts? presents?) and figure a shirt's a shirt?

Oxenkiller wrote:
I've also seen bubblegum pop stars in AC/DC and Metallica shirts and at first thought, "Metallica...Cool!" but seriously... Would these people actually be able to name a Metallica song that ISN'T on "Load" or "Reload?"

would that be so bad? i don't own an entombed shirt, but i could see myself wearing one without being able to name a single song that isn't on the first two or three albums.
does it matter which era of a band you're a fan of?

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:26 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
I've also seen bubblegum pop stars in AC/DC and Metallica shirts

Back during the heights of pop star Shakira's popularity, I noticed she was wearing a Scorpions t-shirt in a Pepsi commercial. I had a pretty 'wtf' reaction. Posting about it on the Internet, some people informed me that in interviews she has professed to be a fan of 80s hard rock.

c_
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:55 am 

Vigintiseptem wrote:
When I saw the thread title, I instantly thought of bands who have a disproportionate amount of merchandise, for example Urfaust. (They seem to have stopped churning out t-shirt once a week, though, but a few years back it was relentless.)

Also, those "Purzum" type of shirts and the people who buy and/or wear them are garbage, and your "don't take it so seriously" argument is invalid.

Wolves in the Throne Room turned into such a band for a while. For the last year and a half before their new album they had what seemed like a new shirt or tote-bag or flag or hoodie in 3 different colors or this or that only for 'our hardcore fans' every week. They are still that but at least now they released some new music to go along with the marketing storm.

As for those cat shirts that seem to be everywhere... I feel if someone who is genuinely a fan of, in this case black metal or Burzum, and respects the artist and music, they are entitled to be able to have some fun with it. The problem is is that 90% of the people who wear stuff like that have little to no knowledge, respect or interest in the subject that is being satarized and in such a case, I'd have to agree with you.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:38 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
Would these people actually be able to name a Metallica song that ISN'T on "Load" or "Reload?"

More like would they even be able to name a song that IS on Load or ReLoad. I don't know why people still think that the Loads are the lowest common denominator Metallica albums (That'd be the Black Album, by the by) but if it was ever that way, then it hasn't been that way for about twenty years now. It's like when Myspace bands put "(old) Metallica" on their list of influences. Like, we all know that's what you mean, bub, it kinda goes without saying. It'd actually be more unique if (new) Metallica was listed as an influence.

Also count me in for that Purzum shirt. I'd wear the hell out of that.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:28 am 

joppek wrote:
just curious, why do you have those shirts in the first place?
did you buy them yourself because they're cool looking shirts, or do you just happen to have them (handouts? presents?) and figure a shirt's a shirt?

I bought all three of them myself at shows. Raven Age and Huntress were both openers, and Amaranthe was a headliner. It may seem like a waste of money to buy shirts for bands I don't particularly enjoy, but I don't especially dislike any of those bands either, and the shirts are really cool looking.

EDIT: I should say though that if I had not seen and bought these shirts at the shows I went to, I would not have gone out of my way to find merchandise for any of the bands in question.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:46 pm 

I'll echo Nirvana and Misfits. I first noticed Misfits years and years ago when I thought it was As I Lay Dying's "Decas" album art, but eventually found out it was Misfits. I see it everywhere now. For Nirvana, I have been seeing tons of shirts in the past couple months, and I don't get it. Why such a resurgence? For context, I have been seeing them in pub clubs on Friday and Saturday nights.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:02 am 

true_death wrote:
This thread reminded me of something...I was in high school, an emo kid walked in to the lunchroom wearing an Iron Maiden shirt. My friend walked up to him to ask if he liked the band and he said "No I hate them, they suck, now get the fuck away from me." :lol: Never found out why he was wearing the shirt if he hated them so much, but regardless I always thought that exchange was absolute gold.

I'm pretty sure that what that actually meant was: "Of course I like them, why would I be wearing one of their t-shirts if I didn't" and that he was basically telling your friend to fuck off. What is absolute gold is that you didn't figure this out :P

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:33 am 

Vigintiseptem wrote:

Wow, hatred much? My s/o is a total cat-lady and a big Burzum fan, care to explain the massive crime against humanity and art that she'll apparently be committing when I buy her one of those rags to wear?

~Guest 343918
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:17 am 

SculptedCold wrote:
Wow, hatred much? My s/o is a total cat-lady and a big Burzum fan, care to explain the massive crime against humanity and art that she'll apparently be committing when I buy her one of those rags to wear?

The people buying and wearing those "funny" shirts are most like most of the time people who have never heard an entire Burzum song, and they are the people whom I had in mind. But I also don't understand the "I love this so I'm going to give money to someone who makes fun of it" mentality that you're going for. I am also a total cat-lord and a big Burzum fan.

putrenista
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:34 am 

Vigintiseptem wrote:
SculptedCold wrote:

The people buying and wearing those "funny" shirts are most like most of the time people who have never heard an entire Burzum song, and they are the people whom I had in mind. But I also don't understand the "I love this so I'm going to give money to someone who makes fun of it" mentality that you're going for. I am also a total cat-lord and a big Burzum fan.

I guess it's called having a sense of humor, but you know, don't take it so personally, Varg.

Warty_basaloid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:05 am 

Varg would not approve, he dislikes cats, and frankly for the right reasons, as the kill off our bird populations.https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gIW8tKPJ_8g

Personally I quite like them but would agree, far too many around and if you let them out make them wear a bell or smth.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:42 am 

I guess I'm a little diplomatic about it and kind of think, "who the fuck cares?" I've seen tons of people wearing Slayer, Metallica, Motorhead shirts that I can tell aren't fans that are wearing them for "fashion". But I don't really care. I think it's anyone's decision what or why they wanna wear whatever they wear. Yeah, I sometimes ask if they are a fan if there is an opportunity. 99% of the time, if they aren't, they appear to become embarrassed. Whatever. I know that's not very trve of me, but I really couldn't care less if the 21 year old kid waiting for his coffee in front of me is wearing a purzum or burzum shirt.

Immortal666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:19 am 

When I think of "t-shirt" bands, I think of bands who release have released t-shirts even before releasing any music in any format. I don't know if there are similar bands like this who exist in other countries but there are some here in the Philippines. They even go to the extent of throwing a 'release party' to promote the release of a new t-shirt design. But when you ask them for their album, they would say they're still in the stages of recording it. Those bands should not exist in any scene.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:23 am 

Immortal666 wrote:
When I think of "t-shirt" bands, I think of bands who release have released t-shirts even before releasing any music in any format. I don't know if there are similar bands like this who exist in other countries but there are some here in the Philippines. They even go to the extent of throwing a 'release party' to promote the release of a new t-shirt design. But when you ask them for their album, they would say they're still in the stages of recording it. Those bands should not exist in any scene.

so for example nihilist shirts should not exist?
or by album do you mean any type of release?

Immortal666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:30 am 

joppek wrote:
Immortal666 wrote:

so for example nihilist shirts should not exist?
or by album do you mean any type of release?

Nihilist's demos were eventually released and that band broke up years ago and their members splintered off to different bands who created more metal music. What I'm talking about are no-name bands with no history who play gigs and prioritize releasing t-shirts than new material and actually throw release parties to celebrate such occasions. Those bands.

putrenista
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:12 pm 

Immortal666 wrote:

Quote:
Nihilist's demos were eventually released and that band broke up years ago and their members splintered off to different bands who created more metal music. What I'm talking about are no-name bands with no history who play gigs and prioritize releasing t-shirts than new material and actually throw release parties to celebrate such occasions. Those bands.

I've never heard of bands putting on shows for the release of new t-shirts, but I guess you're talking from first hand experience. That's definitely odd. Anyway, I don't see what the big deal is about a new band creating t-shirts before actually having a record out. I guess I'm talking more about an official full-length studio album, more so than demos or CD-Rs, but even still I think the point I'm trying to make still stands. Live music is important in it's own right, and showing support for a band you love that you've seen live by buying a t-shirt makes sense.

Immortal666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:29 am 

putrenista wrote:
Immortal666 wrote:

Quote:

I've never heard of bands putting on shows for the release of new t-shirts, but I guess you're talking from first hand experience. That's definitely odd. Anyway, I don't see what the big deal is about a new band creating t-shirts before actually having a record out. I guess I'm talking more about an official full-length studio album, more so than demos or CD-Rs, but even still I think the point I'm trying to make still stands. Live music is important in it's own right, and showing support for a band you love that you've seen live by buying a t-shirt makes sense.

Well, my point is that these bands are just out there with the intent of showing off and putting out a shirt and having no recorded material of their own. Fashion is their priority over music. This maybe a foreign concept to you but trust me there are a lot of these scumbag bands from where I'm from.

I for one, do not buy and wear shirts of bands whose material underwhelms me. I only wear band shirts of artists that I genuinely like. And it takes more than just a gig performance to win me over.

If I were to ask you if you had money enough to buy only one item would you buy an up and coming band's shirt or their demo CD/demo tape? I'd always go for the demo more than the shirt.

putrenista
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:11 am 

Immortal666 wrote:
putrenista wrote:

Well, my point is that these bands are just out there with the intent of showing off and putting out a shirt and having no recorded material of their own. Fashion is their priority over music. This maybe a foreign concept to you but trust me there are a lot of these scumbag bands from where I'm from.

I for one, do not buy and wear shirts of bands whose material underwhelms me. I only wear band shirts of artists that I genuinely like. And it takes more than just a gig performance to win me over.

If I were to ask you if you had money enough to buy only one item would you buy an up and coming band's shirt or their demo CD/demo tape? I'd always go for the demo more than the shirt.

I guess I'm just thinking that when it comes to getting t-shirts made, you don't necessarily need to have those professionally printed. You can make them yourselves, using a stencil with spray paint, or fabric paint. Whatever the case may be, point is you're not spending a lot of money towards putting together those DIY shirts early on. That was my idea at least.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:21 am 

traxan wrote:
Inspired by a thread on another board...
There are some bands that can rightfully be dubbed a "t-shirt band," meaning people wear their shirts to be trendy but aren't really fans. The three agreed upon were Misfits, Ramones and Motorhead. I was wondering if there were any others.

Iron Maiden and Ramones.

Immortal666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:55 am 

putrenista wrote:

I guess I'm just thinking that when it comes to getting t-shirts made, you don't necessarily need to have those professionally printed. You can make them yourselves, using a stencil with spray paint, or fabric paint. Whatever the case may be, point is you're not spending a lot of money towards putting together those DIY shirts early on. That was my idea at least.

You totally did not get what I was saying. Your post has no relevance to what I originally said. I guess we were commenting on different ideas.

Carry on.

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:59 am 

Not uncommon to see young Chinese girls with 80s era Metallica shirts in Melbourne at the moment. Must be the cutting edge girls who have had enough of the 'Thrasher' (the old skate magazine) t shirt trend that, again, many young Chinese girls are into here. Bizarre.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:08 pm 

Just saw a video of a dad asking her daughter who the band was that he was playing. It was a Nirvana song and she was wearing a Nirvana shirt. Looked almost like she hated it.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:36 pm 

Amon Amarth was a big one on the metal festival circuit - just wave after wave of 19 year old guys wearing AA shirts, drinking out of cow horns, and acting like retarded 19 year olds heh. Kinda killed off my interest in the band. Of course this pales to the amount of Ramones/Stones shirts getting around but in the metalsphere Amon Amarth is really over-represented in t-shirts.... especially considering their massive drop in quality after the early/mid 00s.

Kmart in Australia (not sure if associated with overseas versions) sells music shirts these days, usually for under $10. I've seen Sabbath, Maiden, Gunners, Metallica, Green Day, etc all on the racks. I bought one of the Green Day shirts, it's really badly made. I only use it as a jogging shirt but it has an overall life of about 6 months I reckon.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next