Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:48 am 

Quote:
SODOM bassist/vocalist and sole remaining original member Thomas "Angelripper" Such has parted ways with guitarist Bernd "Bernemann" Kost and drummer Markus "Makka" Freiwald.

Says Such: "After much thought and reflection, I have decided on this difficult step to pave the way for new challenges.

"SODOM have always lived off the commitment and passion of everybody involved. Makka was part of the band for almost eight years, Bernemann even for more than twenty. To obviate a possible routine setting in which would make it impossible to continue our creative work optimally, I would like to start all over again with fresh and hungry musicians. At the same time, I would like to say thank you to Bernemann and Makka for many successful years in which we performed fantastic shows and released a number of real metal manifestos."

Irrespective of this lineup change, all scheduled SODOM shows will take place from April 2018 as announced. Tom is set to introduce his new comrades-in-arms at the Full Metal Mountain festival. Whether SODOM will continue to operate as a trio or perhaps become a quartet in future remains unclear. Tom says: "I haven't really made up my mind in this respect; I'm open to all options. I will now install the band's new foundation pillars and look around for new musicians. One thing is already clear: SODOM will become even stronger!"

Along with his new bandmates, Tom will begin work on the upcoming SODOM album — to be released on Steamhammer/SPV — as soon as possible. Tom says: "SPV also look forward to our future collaboration and can expect a totally motivated band."

SODOM tour dates:

Apr. 7 - AT - Kärnten - Full Metal Mountain
Jun. 21-23 - FI - Kauhajoki - Nummirock
Jun. 23 - DK - Copenhagen - Copenhell
Jul. 4-7 - DE - Ballenstedt - Rock Harz Open Air
Jul. 14 - SE - Gävle - Gefle Metal
Aug. 18 - AT - Graz - Metal On The Hill
Aug. 25 - DE - Cham - Mosh Club Open Air
Aug. 31 - DE - Hamburg - Weltturbojugendtage
Oct. 6 - DE - Lichtenfels - Way Of Darkness

SODOM's latest album, "Decision Day", was released in August 2016 via SPV/Steamhammer.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/sodom- ... t-drummer/

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:23 pm 

Man, I have no idea what the band dynamic was but that seems a little cold to just let people go like that. Damn. I thought Decision Day was a pretty fun listen, I wonder what will come of this.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:41 pm 

I don’t think this was a snap decision, especially if there are already live dates lined up. Whoever booked them may have known there’d be a significant change ahead of time instead of finding out in a press release. That anniversary show from a week or so ago with some of their previous guitarists was probably a farewell they had all agreed upon in advance. It’s a really cool sendoff without having a cloud over the fans in attendance.

Although Bernemann and Makka were part a lineup that was really starting to define itself, maybe this is what’s necessary creatively. Sodom have had a run of ok to good albums with scattered moments of brilliance, but nothing truly great that gets a ton of replay value. For me, that might be as far back as “Code Red.” The possibility of a quartet lineup intrigues me, and it might be worth taking a chance on at this point.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:49 pm 

In War And Pieces was the last really solid Sodom outing. Maybe Angelripper will take the band on a similar route to OverKill: get musicians that really push the pace of the music.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:57 pm 

I can't imagine anyone better than Frank Blackfire back in the guitar slot.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:34 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
In War And Pieces was the last really solid Sodom outing. Maybe Angelripper will take the band on a similar route to OverKill: get musicians that really push the pace of the music.

Who? Bobby Gustafson? :P Overkill aren't really a shining example of exciting music nowadays.

I think this is the right move for Sodom (well, a step in the right direction, at least). While I like some of the Bernemann era albums and live they were great - it's clear that they coasted by a lot. In War and Pieces, in particular, is one that I remember being crap and it seems sometimes they just lacked that Sodom-ness in the riffs (Code Red's Slayerisms, anyone?).

Temple Of Blood wrote:
I can't imagine anyone better than Frank Blackfire back in the guitar slot.

Is there any recent footage of Blackfire doing anything interesting/good playing wise? As far as I've seen, he seems to have lost his (black)magic. As far as old guitarists coming back, I'd recommend my mate, Andy Brings. Those 2 Brings era albums were excellent and he's still an active musician (although, it's doubtful that he'd make a full return to metal - he said so himself).

Basically, Angelripper needs a guitarist who really understands them - don't get me wrong Bernemann was good but perhaps more suited to power metal (that Crows album is excellent, though!), perhaps someone who can think outside the "thrash-by-numbers" box a bit, a non-sleek production and an attacking drummer (again, unorthodox would be better rather than professional, sterile stuff).

CursedBlackDespair
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:59 pm 

I can't be the only one that wants a black metal album from sodom right? Though its very unlikely because tom himself said he felt the topic of satanism to be pointless but maybe writing about war in the style of black metal or a new topic? In the sign of evil is one of my favourite black metal albums of all time but anyway i'll listen to whatever sodom puts out and im looking forward to the new album.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:16 pm 

I don't think they'll get another drummer better than the one they just lost.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:21 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:

Who? Bobby Gustafson? :P Overkill aren't really a shining example of exciting music nowadays.

I think this is the right move for Sodom (well, a step in the right direction, at least). While I like some of the Bernemann era albums and live they were great - it's clear that they coasted by a lot. In War and Pieces, in particular, is one that I remember being crap and it seems sometimes they just lacked that Sodom-ness in the riffs (Code Red's Slayerisms, anyone?).

The Grinding Wheel is a serviceable albeit boring album, but the three that preceded it are all really fantastic. In War And Pieces is in the tradition of M-16, so I can understand why some people wouldn't like that direction as much. I enjoy Code Red, but it's very much a Tapping The Vein throwback, but doesn't cultivate the same interest as that album. If they can push the pace like a Tapping The Vein or Code Red, that'd be great, I just wouldn't want a full aping from Code Red, since it's a pretty lifeless album and speed is really all it offers.

Temple Of Blood wrote:
I don't think they'll get another drummer better than the one they just lost.

I can't remember the last time I listened to a Sodom album and was "wowed" by the drumming. People seem to really like Decision Day and I remember enjoying it, but I can barely recall it, especially the drumming.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:34 pm 

Saddened by this news, but I love Sodom and their worst album is still good, so I'm positive that whoever Angelripper recruits will fit the spots well and they can come out with another banging album.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:41 pm 

Since when is there all of a sudden disinterest in Decision Day? That was easily best Sodom's best since M-16 anyway and easily trumps anything in between.

Banach
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:45 pm 

This is a bit surprising, the lineup seemed stable. I wonder if there was something else behind the curtains except for a vague wish to renew the lineup? Granted that most of the post-90s albums haven't really done much for me so this might turn out for the better. Getting Frank back would be interesting but as someone else stated I don't know if he's particularly active?

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:40 pm 

He made a quite mediocre album last year with Assassin as far i know.. the black magic wasn't there indeed :(

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:09 pm 

I've really liked every album since Code Red. Not a single bad one to me. This news isn't inherently bad, but more just strange. I'm cautiously optimistic about a new record, but I really hope they don't go back to an Obsessed By Cruelty sound.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:13 pm 

Wonder how I can be the new guitarist?

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:37 pm 

move that was kinda necessary although the most recent album was the best Sodom since the final sign of evil. It was their best album in a while that felt very dead to me.

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:48 pm 

Wow. Didn't see the guitarist going.

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:49 pm 

Turner wrote:
Wonder how I can be the new guitarist?

Post that photo of you and Angelripper at the airport and run with it.

Lord_Beavereater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:26 am 

Spiner202 wrote:
I really hope they don't go back to an Obsessed By Cruelty sound.

I imagine there are a lot of people out there that hope they do......
I would settle for a return to the Persecution Mania era style personally.
Maybe bring back Blackfire and Grave Violator and try to write a couple of old school thrashers and cash in before retiring, or just tour playing the early stuff only. Nostalgia seems to be in vogue at the moment.

Banach
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:53 am 

Spiner202 wrote:
I've really liked every album since Code Red. Not a single bad one to me. This news isn't inherently bad, but more just strange. I'm cautiously optimistic about a new record, but I really hope they don't go back to an Obsessed By Cruelty sound.

Nothing past M-16 has really had any replay value for me. I'm never really going back and listen to the albums. However that doesn't mean I wish they'd put out Obsessed part II. That might be my favorite Sodom album, but old bands trying to recapture magic from when they were young usually turn out horrendous.

asphaalanx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:05 am 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
He made a quite mediocre album last year with Assassin as far i know.. the black magic wasn't there indeed :(

If I'm not mistaken, Blackfire joined after the album was recorded/released.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:31 am 

My bad, i saw he joined in 2016 and drawn the wrong conclusions :(

I also see that he has a solo album, probably that would be a good way to see if he still has it

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:36 am 

Sodom just stated the following on facebook:
Quote:
SPV/STEAMHAMMER PRESS RELEASE

TOM ANGELRIPPER ANNOUNCES NEW LINE-UP
German cult thrash act now a quartet, Frank Blackfire returns
New single out in summer 2018, album to follow in spring 2019

While rumours are still flying thick and fast in the media, Tom Angelripper has already announced the new line-up of his band Sodom: Husky (Asphyx, Desaster) is set to man the drum kit, Frank Blackfire (ex-Sodom, ex-Kreator, Frank Blackfire, Assassin) and Yorck Segatz (Beyondition) have been enlisted on guitars. Sodom have already released seminal albums such as Persecution Mania, the live cut Mortal Way Of Live and the highly successful Agent Orange with Frank Blackfire. As he had hinted at the beginning of the year, Tom has opted for a line-up featuring two guitarists, an absolute novelty for Sodom. “Two guitarists allow us much more possibilities live, so we will be able to play tracks in future that we weren’t able to perform as a trio,” the Sodom vocalist/bassist explains his motives. In line with these new possibilities, the thrash act has already started to put together a setlist for the upcoming shows with all important classics as well as rare numbers that had never or only rarely been heard at their gigs. Says Tom: “I can promise that we will really let it rip in future.”

In Frank Blackfire, Yorck Segatz and Husky, Tom has consciously gone for musicians from his own background. “It’s common knowledge that all three are exceptional instrumentalists and that heavy metal is their life. But Sodom is also about getting on a personal level. The new band members are all dyed-in-the-wool Sodom fans and all live in Essen. Need I say more?”

While the guys have just moved into their new rehearsal room (Tom: “As it happens exactly where it all started back in 1982!”), the Sodom mastermind is already looking to the future. “We’ll start writing new material as soon as possible and plan to release a single with at least two brand-new numbers and a bonus track to give our fans a taste of our upcoming album,” he promises. “The direction of the new material already stands: ready for action and full of adrenaline, Sodom are set to celebrate the glorious days of the 1980s old school thrash that we all grew up with and that the band has always been celebrated for.”

I'm really excited for this. I have seen them twice in the last couple of years and always thought they sounded weak having one guitarist. Didn't like the tone of the guitar as well, that could've to do with it too. Also, my favorite albums are with blackfire.

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:01 am 

Interesting. I remember being pissed off when Blackfire left for Kreator, haha. Guess I was a kid.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:24 am 

Well, Temple of Blood called it! :lol:
I still have some doubts, but i will be happy if i'm proven wrong :)

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:40 am 

Good news, I think the choice of drummer hints at a return to a more old school approach to drumming. Blackfire’s return is, of course, interesting as are the possibilities with a second guitarist. One must trust in Angelripper, I suppose.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:28 pm 

I feel weird about Sodom as a four-piece but maybe it'll work out.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:50 pm 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
I feel weird about Sodom as a four-piece but maybe it'll work out.

It worked for Motorhead.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:29 pm 

I don't like the idea of Sodom as a 4 piece but maybe this is so that they can still tour/play shows if Frank can't make it.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:16 am 

as long as this doesnt signal a turn to gothenthrash....

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:01 am 

Blackfire and Hüsky? Fuck yeah! I am really fucking pumped to hear some new music now. Decision Day was pretty good and I loved In War And Pieces. Hopefully the new line-up will deliver an even heavier album.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:47 am 

No harmonized guitars please. Way overdone and doesn't fit sodom.

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:52 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
As far as old guitarists coming back, I'd recommend my mate, Andy Brings. Those 2 Brings era albums were excellent and he's still an active musician (although, it's doubtful that he'd make a full return to metal - he said so himself).

I love this idea. I'm not a big Sodom fan, but Tapping the Vein is one of my favorite death/thrash albums. What sort of music has Andy been involved with since then? Anything worthwhile?

This may be a bit of a hot take, but I think that the main thing holding Sodom back at this point is Angelripper himself. The best songs that they've put out over the past decade are almost always the fast, thrashy ones. Anything mid-paced or slower doesn't fit Angelripper's vocal style. Unfortunately Sodom, like most 80's thrash bands, are good for maybe 2-3 thrash songs per album at most these days, so I think that he would need to hand the reigns over to a more capable vocalist for the band to put out an album that's truly worthwhile.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:25 am 

imagining sodom without angelripper's voice is simply impossible, sorry. he simply IS sodom, regardless of the quality of their musical output (I personally think their last really great album was get what you deserve, which is 20+ years old anyway). he can and most likely will keep putting out music as long as he wants to, which is perfectly legitimate even though they are so underwhelming nowadays.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

fulcizombie
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:52 am 

I am always in favor of thrash bands adding a second guitarist. What Tom did was cold though, and sodom were in fine form anyway. Peavy rebooting rage I understand , this sodom situation I don’t. Why not just add Frank Blackfire to the line up ?

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:06 pm 

fulcizombie wrote:
I am always in favor of thrash bands adding a second guitarist. What Tom did was cold though, and sodom were in fine form anyway. Peavy rebooting rage I understand , this sodom situation I don’t. Why not just add Frank Blackfire to the line up ?

I dunno, Bernemann had 20+ years to prove it and, it seems evident to me, that his heart isn't in writing great thrash riffs. He tends to veer towards a much more melodic style (again, CROWS... he was better in CROWS). Even at his best - M-16 and parts of Til Death... - he was quite formulaic as if it were all rather forced or by-the-book rather than the more off-the-hook stuff from their prior guitarists. Angelripper, on the other hand, seems still very much in love with Motorhead, Venom and Tank. Sodom have always been defined by their guitarists somewhat (think you much stylistic variation you got in their first ten, black years!). A change is the right move, I reckon.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:36 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVZS5gDHf4w

They've just done their first gig with the new line-up. Sounds much more 'Sodom', as one would expect. :) Fuck, Tom even sounds younger!

Reply to topic