* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:46 pm 

http://www.theprp.com/2018/01/18/news/g ... night-may/

Tomas Lindberg wrote:
We have wrapped up the recordings of the new record, and we are super psyched! It has been a smooth process, and very creatively fullfilling. All people that we have worked with on this project have stepped up to our vision of the final product, and we are very excited about the result.

As you might have seen, we have worked with Russ Russell on this one, and he is really a master of getting the most intense takes out of us, and also has an ear for the rawness that we were after for this one. The vocals were recorded with Per Stålberg here in Gothenburg, and he always makes me deliver to a 100%. Right now we are getting the mastering done, and every new song that is bounced to us produces huge grins on our faces. This album sounds hungry and mean.

The title of our new record will be “To Drink From The Night Itself“, and it is, again a conceptual record. More details about the concept will be revealed once the album is more on its way. But it connects with the deep roots of the band, and has connections with some of the themes on “The Red In The Sky Is Ours“.

2018, we are ready, let´s do this!

I'm certainly interested to hear what they have to offer, they have been reassuring fans in every press release that it will be 'a death metal record.' The only thing is I'm not sure how I feel about that album title? I don't quite understand what it means.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:03 pm 

Has "conceptual" "connections" with "some" "themes" from "The Red in the Sky is Ours"? Translation: sounds nothing like "The Red in the Sky is Ours".

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:22 pm 

Super excited I won’t lie. I’m probably one of few who really loved the last one and I don’t have any shame in my ATG lifer status.

PurpleDoom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:44 pm 

I enjoyed At War with Reality enough to look forward to this, if not with fervent excitement. Guess I'll wait for a single to pop up before deciding whether it's worth a preorder.

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:15 pm 

Pretty excited for this, though I did roll my eyes when it mentioned the "conceptual connections" to The Red in the Sky is Ours. It reminds me of before At War With Reality came out, when the band said they felt the same 'spiritual inspiration' making that album as they did making With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness, which if I recall correctly was the reason they used the With Fear logo on the AWWR cover. It just screams of trying to force a tenuous connection with your past work to get fans excited. I wish they would just let their new material stand on its own as opposed to leaning on the spirit of earlier albums. Whatever, as long as the music's good I guess it doesn't matter, but kind of annoying nonetheless.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:44 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Has "conceptual" "connections" with "some" "themes" from "The Red in the Sky is Ours"? Translation: sounds nothing like "The Red in the Sky is Ours".

Well to be fair, he was referring to the lyrics and didn't say the music itself would be going in that direction. I suppose he meant that they are returning to the old "dark poetry" lyrical style instead of the more straight forward stuff seen on Slaughter of the Soul.

Anyway, I enjoyed "At War with Reality" well enough - a nice summation of the band's entire career with some new elements too. Looking forward to checking out this album!

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:38 am 

i saw the thread title, instinctively clicked on it, and immediately thought to myself "why do i even bother"

i'm sure it'll be another dreary snoozefest like the last album, but i guess i'll check it out anyway in light of the band's former glory

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:27 am 

I thought At War With Reality was fucking baller so I am really looking forward to this. I hope Jonas Stålhammar has at least some contributions in the songwriting department since the album from The Lurking Fear was awesome.

Immortal666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:49 am 

Omitted from the press release above was news of the different festivals that At The Gates will be playing. Included is a spot at the Pulp Summer Slam in the Philippines where I will be watching them for the first time ever! I'm really looking forward to it.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:21 am 

The question that comes to my mind is: Why would a band such as At The Gates mention that their new record will share connections with themes of an album that's (as far as I get it) is just appreciated by either old school death metal fans or ATG die hard fans? It's not like that one is their most popular album, after all.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:25 am 

I am excited for this even though the last one was kinda blah.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:10 am 

Jonas straight-up admitted that some of the riffs from the last album were leftovers from stuff he was writing for The Haunted. Hopefully that didn't happen this time around and NewJonas got to contribute something new and interesting.

~Guest 394415
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:14 am 

Last edited by ~Guest 394415 on Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:47 pm 

At War With Reality was a snoozer. Thing straight up sucked and was a total letdown after all those years. Figured they would have come up with something more imaginative than that. Maybe this next one will be that. The title alone has me intrigued.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:26 pm 

I remember thinking there was one good song on At War With Reality but for the life of me I can't remember which one I thought it was.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:37 pm 

PvtNinjer wrote:
I remember thinking there was one good song on At War With Reality but for the life of me I can't remember which one I thought it was.

The only good one I remember was "The Book of Sand". Can't remember why but I do recall that one being the best out of that boring mess.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:14 pm 

That sounds right, but somehow I don't feel compelled to confirm :lol:

Heavynation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:51 pm 

What a black metal title.

Maybe it will be more dissonant and weird like The Red.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:05 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:

Well it certainly has a title as pretentious as that as well as With Fear I Kiss blah blah.
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:02 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:

Well to be fair, 99% of ATG fans don't actually want it to sound like that. What we want is something that sounds like Terminal Spirit Disease or Slaughter of the Soul. I'm personally just hoping firstly that it's more interesting than the last album (fantastic title track, can't remember the rest) and secondly, that with luck the "rediscovering our roots" bullshit doesn't mean they're gonna record a nu-metal/edm/something else strange record.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:14 pm 

As someone who loves Slaughter of the Soul and took a while to warm up to the early years, I would be way more interested in a revisitation of the "Sky" sound than another attempt at War With Reality. Also that's the thing, one of the reasons At The Gates broke up in the first place was they felt they would never be able to top the sonic simplicity of SotS, and time has only encased that law deeper in molten metal.

Plus who wouldn't want to hear Primal Breath and Kingdom Gone type of songs with that legendary guitar sound?
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

Riggs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:16 pm 

Gotta say I listened to At War With Reality a few times and I remember nothing about it. Time for a re-listen, maybe. I'll check this one out regardless as I've always been a fan of ATG.

XcKyle93
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:26 pm 

I'm expecting something more along the lines of TSD but maybe a little more brutal. I hope it's a lot faster than At War With Reality at least...

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:35 am 

I'll check this out, Slaughter of the Soul is a great release in spite of its flaws. I may be alone in not really getting early At the Gates, it often just seems overly sloppy and random.

Gotta say, this album title doesn't do much for me.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:55 pm 

Album art revealed:
Spoiler: show

Good stuff, not sure why they had to fuck with their logo font yet again, though.

DividerOfShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:57 pm 

Hmmm... Honestly, with a title like that, I thought that the cover would be a bit different, but as long as the music is good, no problem.

And I'm still hoping for Katy Perry to do another Christian album.

My Last.fm

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:20 pm 

i wonder if they will play any stuff live when i see em next weekend, not that i really want to see them but nobody else is playing at the same time during the fest.

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:24 am 

That album cover looks absolutely incredible. I was barely interested in the album until I saw it. It looks like they're about to drop the most hellish black metal record in 20 years though, and I'm 90% sure that won't be the case.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:00 am 

Awesome cover art, wow.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:14 am 

that cover art raises my expectations from "this will definitely be a boring piece of shit", to "there's a 5% chance they could release something worthwhile again"

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:26 am 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
Awesome cover art, wow.

I like this too.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:37 pm 

Very cool cover art. I actually think the old logo would suit well, or maybe it's just that their old logo was so much cooler than just a generic font. Seriously, why do so many bands ditch actual logos in favour of plain text?

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:00 pm 

Echoing the praise for the art, really dig it! I don't mind when metal bands use a nice font, a cool logo is always cool too. I happen to like the basic stuff they used for With Fear and this one.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:04 pm 

Can I expect a return to the sound of Gardens of Grief but with a modern production given that cover art?! Most likely not, but that would really be something...

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:40 pm 

We will just have to wait and see. Hopes were high for the return album, and it didn't live up to the expectations. This will most likely have a few really strong songs and the rest meh, but I hope I'm wrong.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:20 am 

That cover artwork looks cool indeed. Pretty sure their upcoming album won't be for me though, but we'll see...

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:50 pm 

Few bands other than At The Gates actually make me stop what I'm doing and get the details when they have a new album coming out. At War With Reality was meh, and this one probably will be too, but I'm looking forward to hearing it. The references to The Red in the Sky are intriguing, but one has to wonder how strong its influence will be, if at all.

Regardless, I await with bated breath. Probably going to be super meh, but I'm getting the itch.

Obligatory Last FM Link

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:56 am 

New song sounds fucking awesome. Sounds more energetic, not really any surprises but imo done really well.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:45 am 

Sounds like Slaughter of the Soul era stuff. No thanks. :(

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:56 am 

i was hoping for a change of sound with the lineup change but its more stale sots stuff.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next