Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Sveino1000
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:10 pm 

So a couple days ago the pedal fell off. No problem as i put it on. But i had to move the snare, chair etc to do it. And now my drum have gone to hell. I dont manage to set up my drum kit so it works good for me anymore. I dont know why i cant. It really pisses me off and its really annoying. Does this happens to anybody else? Why dont i manage to set it up perfect?

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:03 am 

Yeah, I've had it happen. I know some drummers who can just throw their kits around and not be bothered, but I have to have everything perfect, and it's very hard to get it to that point. Once you do get it back together, you should consider getting a drum rug if you don't already have one, and tape down a layout of your kit so you know where to put everything.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:54 pm 

Both playing with slightly different setups and setting an instrument up take some experience to get used to. It can be frustrating at first, but over time it'll become natural and less of a problem.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:19 pm 

I can play on any set up for the most part and anyone's drumkit how they set it up. The only thing that i get more particular on is the pedals themselves. if they have them too floppy I can't play on it worth anything for double bass.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:20 pm 

If you want to get over this, spend some time completely dis- and reassembling your kit. Give yourself fifteen-twenty minutes to put everything together. Set a timer. As soon as that timer hits the end, start playing a song. Don't stop to adjust anything. Then give yourself like, twenty seconds to move anything before hitting another song. Repeat for about half an hour or so.

This is essentially simulating playing a show. This problem tends to happen when you predominantly play on your own setup - when you're out gigging, or you're using practice rooms with a kit there, you learn to adapt to whatever shit gear you end up using. Drummers get fucked over more than anyone else with this, guitar and bass cabs all work the same, singers have it easy, but we can get dropped using gear we fucking hate, with everything set up wrong, in a tiny wee corner of the stage without enough space. This always sucks, but if we've put in some work to a) getting set up quickly, and b) being able to play well regardless, we can get around it.

What everyone else has said so far is also very true. Tape on a drum rug is really good, and see if your hardware has memory locks on them - these mean you can always have things at the correct height and angle. If nobody else is gonna be using your kit, or you don't change your setup much, they're super convenient. Put in some work breaking down and setting up now, and you'll see many benefits further down the road. You'll get better at setting up, you'll be able to play on more kit setups, and you'll then be the drummer everyone likes to work with because you'll be good to go while the guitarist is still fucking about with his pedalboard.

diamond_famicom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:17 am 

as a guitarist, having to use other amps can be really annoying. BUT I think it's important to be able to adapt to different set-ups. for years, I played bass in bands and couldn't afford my own amp. for drums, it's pretty essential to adapt to different set-ups, because your kit is never going to be arranged perfectly.

Reply to topic