Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:26 pm 

Not everyone's cup of tea, but I enjoyed Walk Through Exits Only. The new track sounds like he's dabbling in death metal which should be interesting.
Quote:
PHILIP H. ANSELMO & THE ILLEGALS, the project led by the former PANTERA and current DOWN/SUPERJOINT frontman, will release its sophomore album, "Choosing Mental Illness As A Virtue", on January 26, 2018 via Anselmo's Housecore Records in the U.S. and Season Of Mist in other parts of the world. The disc is the follow-up to PHILIP H. ANSELMO & THE ILLEGALS' debut, "Walk Through Exits Only", which came out in 2013 to mostly positive reviews.

Anselmo comments: "Our new album, 'Choosing Mental Illness As A Virtue' is going to get hated. It's going to get loved. Like every record, I've ever done, I put zero expectations upon my peers, critics, or the general fucking public. If you take one thing away from it, let it be this: Do not bog yourself down to one brand, character, or whatever. Have the guts to spread your wings and fucking flourish. I can promise you this is a beginning. As my music trickles out over the next two years, it's going to be quite the roller-coaster ride. This new ILLEGALS is just the tip of the whole fucking avalanche."

The lineup of the THE ILLEGALS has changed on several position since album one. This is what Philip has to say about his new crew: "Their creative input is fucking fantastic. This is something that was very different from the first record where I was very staunch. I wanted it to be ugly. I was very firm that I was writing every fucking note. The thought was, 'This is my contribution to ugly music right this second in a heavy metal vein.' That was great at the time. 'Walk Through Exits Only' made its own little statement that I am a free agent and I belong to no single band. This time, I worked closely with everyone. We tried different ideas together. It made the spirit of this thing come alive even more because of the enthusiasm these guys bring. It enhanced the integrity of the project."

"Choosing Mental Illness As A Virtue" track listing:

01. Little Fucking Heroes
02. Utopian
03. Choosing Mental Illness
04. The Ignorant Point
05. Individual
06. Delinquent
07. Photographic Taunts
08. Finger Me
09. Invalid Colubrine Frauds
10. Mixed Lunatic Results

The song "Choosing Mental Illness" can be streamed below.

Anselmo is an iconic artist — maybe a little bruised, scarred, singed, and somewhat battered by time, himself, and others. But the Lousiana resident remains proudly standing, unbent, and still angry. Loved and hated, attacked and praised, Philip is not ready to go down into the archives of musical history without a fight.

His new cooperation with the band that Philip himself created, THE ILLEGALS, is as brutal, kicking, lashing, and fury-filled as one could expect from this artist and "Walk Through Exits Only". "Choosing Mental Illness As A Virtue" is a much the metaphorical fist in the face and display of force as his adherents could wish for.

"Choosing Mental Illness As A Virtue" is not a simple repeat of the past — as tempting as that might sound, considering that no other artist left a deeper mark on metal in the 90's than PANTERA. Raging, roaring, and bulldozing their way through the metal scene, the Texans have left a lasting legacy. At their front stood anger and hostility personified, Philip H. Anselmo. What followed for example with DOWN and SUPERJOINT RITUAL has further cemented the singer's reputation as a living legend. As an artist in his own right, Philip finally emancipated onto a solo-path with "Walk Through Exits Only", which enabled him to do exactly as he pleased – with no need to compromise on anything.

"Walk Through Exits Only" sold around 8,700 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 35 on The Billboard 200 chart. The CD was produced by Anselmo and Michael Thompson, and recorded over a couple of years at Philip's New Orleans studio, Nodferatu's Lair.

Back in October 2015, PHILIP H. ANSELMO & THE ILLEGALS parted ways with guitarist Marzi Montazeri and replaced him with Mike DeLeon. Anselmo told Metal Underground about the split with Montazeri: "What I wanted to do with Marzi was jumpstart his career, which I did. He's the type of guy that needs to be the focal point of pretty much anything he does. So he's got that now and I'm happy for him. More power to him."

Regarding how the addition of DeLeon came about, Anselmo said:"Mostly from his association with my drummer, Blue [José Manuel Gonzalez], and my other guitar player/bass player from SUPERJOINT, Steve [Stephen Taylor]. Steve Taylor was constantly saying, 'DeLeon is the guy. DeLeon is the guy. He wants it the most! He wants it the most!' I trust them. I trust their judgment. I trust their intuition. So far, every time DeLeon has come to jam, it has been serious grinding. He takes a good beating, man. He's great. He's a pleasure to work with."

PHILIP H. ANSELMO & THE ILLEGALS lineup:

Philip H. Anselmo: Vocals
Mike DeLeon: Lead Guitar
José Manuel "Blue" Gonzalez: Drums
Stephen "Schteve" Taylor: Guitar
Walter Howard: Bass

Last edited by fourrobert13 on Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:09 pm 

Edgy album title. Will check just because it's Phil. I still need to hear the debut tho.

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:55 pm 

Xenophon wrote:
Edgy album title. Will check just because it's Phil. I still need to hear the debut tho.

The debut was grower for me just because it was different than anything else he had done up until then as far as I know (I don't follow all of his projects).

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:47 pm 

I sure can't wait to hear him wheeze through another set of songs about how much he hates the media.

When's the next Down coming out? We were supposed to get more EP's, you know.

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:50 am 

Finger me? what the fuck?

Anyway, like someone else said I'll check it out because its Phil. Aside from that white power stuff its hard not to like the guy

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:24 am 

The first one was a grower, but it ended up being one of my favorite albums that year.
Will have to listen to this later.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:51 am 

Gunslinger21 wrote:

Anyway, like someone else said I'll check it out because its Phil. Aside from that white power stuff its hard not to like the guy

Yeah... that might be a bit of a deal breaker for a lot of people. Myself included.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:03 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Gunslinger21 wrote:

Yeah... that might be a bit of a deal breaker for a lot of people. Myself included.

But clearly he was talking about white wine :lol:

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:19 pm 

That is a garbage-ass album title. I don't even know if I care about checking it out - but the title is extremely silly and lame to the point where I wanted to say so. And "Finger Me" as a song title - :lol:

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:44 pm 

I neved cared for Pantera or Anselmo until one day I saw Down show. My jaw was dropped all the way through the show. Such an energy, passion and devotion coming from that guy covered in sweat; entertaining the audience, laughing, cheering, destroying the stage and making a hell of an show that day.

I never argued about Phil from that day.

So yeah, I will check it out as well as this Scour project. At least I know this music came from the depths of a genuine music and a metal fan.

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:46 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
Gunslinger21 wrote:

Nah you got the wrong idea bro, see they were drinking white wine...

:lol:

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:37 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
That is a garbage-ass album title. I don't even know if I care about checking it out - but the title is extremely silly and lame to the point where I wanted to say so. And "Finger Me" as a song title - :lol:

Maybe it means finger as in accuse of a crime...

Necrophile Clerk
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:54 pm 

I'm not really big on this single but the first album was sweet so hopefully I can enjoy the other tracks. Fingers crossed...

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:37 am 

title seems like a rip-off of mike williams's book cancer as social activity, except a thousand times dumber. somehow even worse than the first album's title, which i still genuinely don't understand.

the music is gonna be trash, that kinda goes without saying.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:17 am 

The debut was absolutely horrible, and somehow I reckon this will be worse.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:23 am 

Wannabe Eyehategod album art...
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Warty_basaloid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:41 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Gunslinger21 wrote:

+1.

Might give it a listen.

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:09 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Wannabe Eyehategod album art...

That was it! I couldn't put my finger on it till I read this, but it did seem familiar...

ImageImage

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:25 pm 

Good to know that the whole mental-illness-bastardisation trope is still alive and well--now with more blame directed at the mentally ill.

This guy's prior commitment to white power wine was enough to deter me, but I guess some people don't stop at one atrocity, do they?

I believe it was Confucius who said "Life is merely a series of intervals in which one waits for the next Agalloch album."

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:46 pm 

Gatherum wrote:
Good to know that the whole mental-illness-bastardisation trope is still alive and well--now with more blame directed at the mentally ill.

literally what are you talking about

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:11 am 

I love Phil. There are plenty of artists I don’t personally agree with their words at times but I’ve never heard of Phil hurting minoritites because of his supposed racism, so i will continue to support him. We’ve all done regrettable things drunk, his just got filmed

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:08 pm 

Xenophon wrote:
Gatherum wrote:

literally what are you talking about

He's referring to the way mentally ill people are almost universally and unjustly portrayed in media as dangerous and violent, and this particular album title seems to have been conceived along those lines.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:22 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
He's referring to the way mentally ill people are almost universally and unjustly portrayed in media as dangerous and violent, and this particular album title seems to have been conceived along those lines.

I don't see that in the album title. It seems more like he's saying mental illness is cool or something. Still dumb but in a different way.

MetallicaTrueFan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:25 am 

His insane tough guy attitude has reached a new extreme in this band... further than anything Pantera or Superjoint Ritual could ever conjure up. What happened to the days where he could still write songs like Cemetery Gates, Hollow, Floods, Stone The Crow or Nothing In Return. The Illegals is much more egocentric than anything he has ever done. It seems like the band is desperate to capture that Pantera magic... mostly Trendkill days.

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:32 am 

The first minute of the song sounded like a shitty carcass clone.

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:22 pm 

New single. This one has a death/black metal vibe to it to me.

Intraum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:02 pm 

this project is a complete clusterfuck. it's like it's ALMOST good. Phil sounds good one moment, then the next he sounds like crap. there is a cool sounding riff here, a shitty one there with no rhyme or reason.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:00 pm 

sounds like Phil listened to CC's Anomalies (one of the greats) and decided: "oh yeah I can do that"

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:34 pm 

Why does the singer from Pantera/Down think the world wants to hear him do wannabe artsy shit?
Give me songs about punching guys who've fucked your girlfriend and big groove riffs, mate

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:52 pm 

I gave my promo copy an honest to god first listen. It's the same style as Walk Through Exits Only with all that entails. The musicians can still play, the songs are still sloppy, the lyrics are still cringy, and Phil still can't scream to save his life.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:09 am 

I don't think harsh vocala are exactly his strong point. Not even really his middle of the road strength. Okay, he's pretty awful.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:42 am 

I'll give it a look, for sure. Walk through Exits really grew on me. Phil to me is basically a tamer version of Varg, I don't particularly like the dude, but I find him really interesting and have always enjoyed his musical output. I tend towards the idea that only reason why Pantera gets a semi-pass out of all the bad groove bands out there among metalheads is because Phil's vocals were just ridiculously charismatic, I like Down, yeah there's about a million reasons why I'll check this out. Will have a listen when I'm home.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

putrenista
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:22 am 

caspian wrote:
I tend towards the idea that only reason why Pantera gets a semi-pass out of all the bad groove bands out there among metalheads is because Phil's vocals were just ridiculously charismatic

Or... you know, along with the great riffs, and songs, and melodies, and guitar solos, and drumming...

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:47 am 

putrenista wrote:
caspian wrote:
I tend towards the idea that only reason why Pantera gets a semi-pass out of all the bad groove bands out there among metalheads is because Phil's vocals were just ridiculously charismatic

Or... you know, along with the great riffs, and songs, and melodies, and guitar solos, and drumming...

That's all pretty subjective stuff. Personally, I never liked the man's voice, not even when his singing voice was still strong.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:06 am 

This really isn't bad so far. Kinda like the brooding, murky, vaguely grindcore-y sludge a decent amount of bands seem to be doing, but Phil has a couple extra tricks up his sleeve, and the songwriting is definitely above-par for this sub-style.

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:24 pm 

I think the title is meant to mock the type of people that see their mental illness as some sort of positive character trait. IDK, Phil is as dumb as a bag of rocks so his pseudo-intellectual ramblings can be pretty hard to decipher at times. After listening, this sounds pretty much the same as his last album. I did not care for that one and feel the same about this one.

Scour is legit though.

Heavynation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:16 pm 

I really like Pantera, saw them live in the 90s a couple of times I think and it was great.

Anselmo's tough guy image is pretty ridiculous, but also an essential part of his art and music making. I feel it's kind of pathetic that a full grown man that has gone through an embarrassing overdose and that racist meltdown speech a few years back insists on this kind of posing, seems like a big child that needs to be looked at as "the bad guy", but, that's rock and roll.

New album sounds quite good though. Should be fun to listen to in it's entirety.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:31 am 

Heavynation wrote:
Anselmo's tough guy image is pretty ridiculous, but also an essential part of his art and music making. I feel it's kind of pathetic that a full grown man that has gone through an embarrassing overdose and that racist meltdown speech a few years back insists on this kind of posing, seems like a big child that needs to be looked at as "the bad guy", but, that's rock and roll.

while his image is completely ridiculous, fortunately he doesn't seem to take himself too seriously, as evidenced by the existence of stuff like metal grasshopper

anyway, this band sounds like shit - i liked most of pantera tho' and scour is good too

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:20 am 

I just keep getting the feeling that Phil discovered Portal and though to himself "I can do that".

Plot twist: turns out he can't.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:06 pm 

I'm not the biggest Pantera fan but sometimes I want to listen to some real "alpha male" shit and Phil mostly nails it IMO. Its meathead stuff but I have meathead moments.

Reply to topic