Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:47 am 

Just read this shocking news on Blabbermouth...

Acclaimed heavy metal singer Warrel Dane, who achieved fame with the bands SANCTUARY and NEVERMORE, died on Wednesday (December 13) in São Paulo, Brazil. The 48-year-old American, who was in the process of making his second solo album, had a heart attack during the night and could not be revived.

Guitarist Johnny Moraes, who was a member of Dane's solo band, was with the singer around midnight when Warrel started to feel bad.

"He died in the night. He had a heart attack," Moraes told Brazil's UOL. "He was in the apartment where he stayed during the recording of the album when it happened. I gave him cardiac massage and we called the Mobile Emergency Care Service (SAMU), who came very fast, but when they arrived, he was already dead."

According to Moraes, Dane had from a history of addictions and health issues. "His health was already very weak because of his diabetes and his problems with alcoholism," he said. "He was already facing a lot of health problems."

The instrumental parts for Dane's second solo album were almost completed and he had begun laying down his vocals shortly before his death. The musicians are thinking about finishing the record with guest singers as a posthumous tribute, but no decision has yet been made.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

Tranquillian
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:49 am 

Fuck that shit.
R.I.P.

Gonna listen to the whole Sanctuary/Nevermore discography now in tribute.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:52 am 

Holy shit. My jaw literally dropped when I saw the headline on a metal news site this morning. Horribly sad. I just re-listened to the entire Nevermore catalog earlier this year and thought "Fuck, I'd love to see them live one more time."

InsaneSniper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:53 am 

Tranquillian wrote:
Gonna listen to the whole Sanctuary/Nevermore discography now in tribute.

Yeah, I'm doing the same thing. So glad I managed to see Sanctuary in 2015. Dane actually sounded pretty damn good, even with his higher range gone.

R.I.P.

TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:55 am 

I spent my late teens worshipping Nevermore and most of my 20s hoping that the reunion would happen. This is quite personal for me.
"Of Terror and the Supernatural by Temple of Void is miles ahead of It's midnight in Neverland and I can't get my dick out of this unicorn; Volume 8 by Nightwish in both the amount of heaviness and lack of keyboards."

Tranquillian
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:12 am 

I just realized that Chuck Schuldiner died the same date, 16 years ago today. On that day I saw Candlemass first re-union gig with Messiah in Stockholm, so I always remember that date.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:15 am 

This got me quite bad too. I love Sanctuary/Nevermore and I always liked Warrel as an individual, he was one of the few articulate people, even at his worst - and he was quite in a bad shape last time I saw him (last year). Very sad.

Not just Chuck and Warrel. Keith Deen of Holy Terror also passed away 5 years ago on this date.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:21 am 

Just saw this on facebook. So sad. The guy isn't much older than me. I was always a fan of his work (Sanctuary, Nevermore, and his solo material). RIP Warrel.

~Guest 417309
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:22 am 

God dammit man. Rest in peace Warrel. What a legend. Nevermore was an amazing band and I've always held on to the hope they'd reform. Was going to see Sanctuary with Iced Earth next year too. I wonder if it was drug related?

Throwing on the Obsidian Conspiracy now...

Last edited by ~Guest 417309 on Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:23 am 

...because this day wasn't sad enough already :(

Fuck 2017, really. I was so stoked about his new solo material too. R.I.P.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:26 am 

I was obsessed with Nevermore in high school and they never really lost their place in my heart. This news is extremely unfortunate but not really shocking; it wasn't a big secret that the dude had not taken good care of himself for a long time and was in poor health well before this happened.

jdagger
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:29 am 

Holy Shit! Horrible news! Another talent gone too soon.

R.I.P.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:30 am 

I'm not surprised by this but it is hitting me hard. I've been a huge Nevermore fan since high school and he was one of my biggest influences as a vocalist. I was curious to see how a second solo album would turn up and was excited to see them with Iced Earth next year, let alone a Nevermore reunion somewhere down the line. Definitely count me on the Sanctuary/Nevermore discography binge bandwagon as I put on Into the Mirror Black.

Bloodstone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:37 am 

Shocked and saddened by this. One of metal's most unique voices and just a great artist in general. From podcasts I've heard him on he seemed to be doing fine. A big loss.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:39 am 

He had diabetes, which is a big risk factor for heart attacks.

Such a shame. I kept hoping Nevermore would reunite or I could at least see Sanctuary on their upcoming Iced Earth tour.

TrachomaSlayer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:43 am 

I'm one of the relatively younger metalheads, and I remember Nevermore as the first band to get me interested in more extreme metal. This Godless Endeavor was my first introduction to them, I remember seeing them play Born and Final Product on my friends Gigantour dvd and just being blown away! That album is still on my top five of all time list.

Eradicatedseraphim
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:59 pm 

RIP brother I'll be spinning Refuge denied and some of Nevermores back catalog at work today. This Godless Endeavor was a favorite spin of mine as a teenager, and it's a shame to see he man behind the voice is gone. RIP and say hi to Lemmy, Jeff, Quorthon, Pete, and Dio on the other side!

Odovacar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:10 pm 

That really sucks. I'm a big Nevermore fan. I got started with Dead Heart In a Dead World and ended up enjoying the rest of their discography. I'm glad that I got to see them at least once but I wish I could have seen them again and I was hoping that a reunion would come at some point, now that will never happen. Like just about everyone here I'm going through Nevermore's catalog in tribute today.

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:14 pm 

TrachomaSlayer wrote:
I'm one of the relatively younger metalheads, and I remember Nevermore as the first band to get me interested in more extreme metal. This Godless Endeavor was my first introduction to them, I remember seeing them play Born and Final Product on my friends Gigantour dvd and just being blown away! That album is still on my top five of all time list.

I caught the Toronto date of that Gigantour, and back then, I didn't realize how lucky I was to see Nevermore, even with a short set in broad daylight. In 2005, they were riding high on a fantastic new album and at the peak of their powers, and when a band is sailing that smooth, you start to take their presence for granted. I would have never guessed that the band would only release one album after that, that they'd go on "indefinite hiatus" within a decade and the voice at the mic would be dead within twelve years.

RIP.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:18 pm 

I first heard him on one of those K-Mart metal compilations in the 80s. When I heard "Battle Angels" I was blown away. But that's back when there was a ton of great metal around and a lot of artists to be impressed by.

metalistkrieg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:29 pm 

Very sad news. I'm gonna blast my Sanctuary records in his honor. RIP :metal:

holyrebels
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:51 pm 

RIP Warrel Dane

I loved Sanctuary and I played Into the Mirror Black almost every day for about 3 years when it was new. Nevermore was frequently brilliant as well. Dane had a huge part in all that, probably the biggest part due to his distinctive vocal and lyrical style.

One of the first shows I ever attended was Sanctuary on the Into the Mirror Black tour at a small bar/club. They were perfect and Dane was exceptional.

What a shame.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:42 pm 

Goodbye Warrel Dane!
Really sad to learn of this news. I've always been a fan of his voice, I found he had quite a rare tone.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:02 pm 

There's no way he was 48 years old. Mid-50s easy. And after all his years of boozing and diabetes, I guess this isn't a surprise.

It still sucks, though. Now the Nevermore reunion will never happen.

TheGreatTrendkiller
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:32 pm 

Can't help but feel sad. Dreaming Neon Black was, and still is, an album that embodies many of the moods and feelings I experience, and Warrel was a big part of that.

Putrefato
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:42 pm 

YESTERDAY I thoght about getting shirts from some favs bands I never had, and Sanctuary is among of then. Then I though to myself, 'why don't I tattoo Sanctuary's "S" in my arm?'... Then today I got this sad news. I'm shocked. I'd attended to his show near my city last year, he also passed away in a city less than 200km from mine, tho.
RIP, man!!

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:47 pm 

One of the first bands I got into when venturing beyond mainstream metal as a 12/13 year old. This fucking hurts.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:55 pm 

Noooo!! :(
Been a fan since I saw the Future Tense video on MTV in 1990(?). There's so much hair in that video! Proper hair metal!

~Guest 277521
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:23 pm 

The dude never really took care of himself according to everyone around him so in a way not surprised, but it's still sad. Got really into Nevermore when I was writing my master's for some reason. I'd spend days listening to their albums while reading and writing and I'll always remember that fondly.

Rest in peace, and condolences to all of his friends and family.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:36 pm 

Weren't we just trying to figure out if he was 52 or 56? Then he dies and says he was 48? There is absolutely no god damned way he was 15 when Sanctuary started, get the fuck outta here.

I was 100000% completely obsessed with Nevermore from about 04-08, incidentally the years I started and finished high school. So many of their songs are intrinsically intertwined with my memories of that time. If I had ever gotten the motivation to finish that review series I was working on, I'd've been able to gush about how even though their first two albums are pretty terrible in hindsight, I still love DNB, DHiaDW, and TGE. Unfortunately that's almost entirely due to Loomis, as I think Warrel's voice has been a liability ever since sometime in the mid 90s. Regardless, hearing any of those first six Nevermore albums is almost always a huge nostalgia-bomb for me so this is a really weird day. Such a bummer.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

DesecratorJ
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:37 pm 

Well, RIP
Gotta listen to Sanctuary now, even if I always do.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:45 pm 

This is horrible news. I opened my Instagram and the first feed was Loomis saying RIP. I was absolutely shocked. Nevermore is my favorite band of all time. I simply can't believe this; what a total tragedy for the scene.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:59 pm 

Let's share gigs and any cool Nevermore stories.

Nevermore gigs I went to:

Worcester MA 2005 (EOR tour, opening for I think COB and another band)
Seattle WA - Single night, headlining show in either 2007 or 2008
London UK - A couple times at various venues in 2005/6, 9/10
Nottingham UK - Rock City (I think it was 2005 or 6..awesome day...I remember walking to a record store to buy SSS by Arcturus, I leave the store, turn around and Van and Loomis are smack dab in front of me. I talked to them totally starstruck in the moment, which they caught, and joked with me for a bit, then we went to a pub and drank beer and did shots and talked music for a while. Then went back to the venue and they let me watch the soundcheck, just me alone on the floor! It was unreal)

Athens Greece in 2005 on the EOR tour. WD saw me in the crowd and gave me a shout out, which was cool.

Bochum Germany for the DVD (I actually flew to Bochum for the show, got to the venue early and then found out that WD had appendicitis and had to cancel. I was devastated, but such a huge fan that a month later I actually flew BACK to Bochum for the rescheduled show, lol. I talked to WD after and he was so appreciative that I'd fly all the way back just to be there. Very humble dude. It was such a sick performance too, that show.

Nanjing China 2011 (maybe 2012, cant recall) - Jeff Loomis solo guitar clinic tour. He remembered me from years past, which was awesome, and once again we got beers before the show and talked shop. Such a cool guy.

Man, this just sucks big time :-(

Last edited by Pitiless Wanderer on Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:19 pm 

Regarding his age, that would have made him about 16 or 17 or so when he first started performing with Sanctuary in the mid/late 1980s. That is certainly possible, as a lot of 80's underground speed/thrash bands started that young, although unlikely in the case of Dane and Sanctuary. I really don't know how old he was. I DO know that he was a great vocalist and I was blown away when I first heard that first Sanctuary album. I admit I haven't been following his career with Nevermore that closely but either way he was a very talented and unique vocalist and it sucks to lose him.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:42 pm 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
Let's share gigs and any cool Nevermore stories.

When I saw them in Toronto in 2005, Warrel gave me a high-five during the second verse of The Final Product.

Grimbeard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:52 pm 

Very sad indeed... One hell of a voice.
R.I.P.

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:11 pm 

That really fucking blows. I genuinely, sincerely felt this one since I could always relate to him so much. Poor dude. I hope he enjoyed his life to the fullest.

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:13 pm 

Too young.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:35 pm 

Man, when I was just getting into metal in the late 80s, discovering King Diamond and Death and Dark Angel, I remember hearing that "White Rabbit" cover on a college radio show -- and hating it. Fortunately my best friend and partner in metal at the time had the opposite reaction and immediately sought out the Refuge Denied tape. Needless to say, as soon as I heard "Battle Angels" and "Die for My Sins" I became the annoying friend always snaking that tape for my own greedy needings. Everything about it, from the over the top production to the even overerer the top vocals to the now iconic cover art, ensured I'd soon get my own copy, first on tape, then, when I got back into metal like a decade later, on CD as one of the cherished staples I knew I'd require. When I got my first iPod it was one of the first to be ripped into it. I can't even put into words the nostalgic value Refuge Denied has for me. When I finally got around to hearing the sophomore album I was blown away, and still prefer that over the Nevermore stuff, distinctive and accomplished as that band is. Gonna listen to Refuge and Mirror tonight for sure.

Long winded way of saying RIP Mr. Dane and thanks for being utterly integral to my lifelong metal journey.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:47 pm 

Crazy. Will never forget how much I loved Nevermore as a teenager. Still will jam them from time to time, his voice will always be a unique one. RIP

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next