* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:41 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
CradleOfBurzum wrote:
Also, it looks like Nortt will be having a top 10 album of the year due to the great reviews it's getting, but because of the lame rules for this voting, it's only going to get 3 days of voting eligibility.

I don't understand this at all. The album isn't even out yet and you're concerned with it getting screwed over for AOTY? How can you even know if it's good or not? Maybe, you should be mad at the band for waiting till December 26th to release it?

If it sounds anything like his previous material, then it will not be close to an AOTY candidate.

CradleOfBurzum
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:59 pm 

Speak for yourself. I've loved all 3 of his previous albums.

Also, I have come up with 10 metal albums that I've listened to this year. I just have to put them in order now.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:12 pm 

Never heard a Nortt album but I think anyone who votes for that should be banned too.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:46 am 

Sick6Six wrote:
Oddly enough, I think Horn - Turm am Hang ended up being my favorite, after that there's a lot that are too even to decide.

Damn! I forgot about this one. Only heard a track or two earlier this year and forgot to ever come back around to the album. Unfortunately it's too late for me to give it consideration for my list and will end up in my yearly slew of albums that I listened to too late or came out in late-Nov/Dec. Oh well, great stuff either way....

In regards to another pagan/folk black metal project, I hope no one slept on Häive- Iätön. Excellent followup to their magnificent debut 10 years ago.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:32 am 

Horn didn't really grab me at all. Rock-y, somewhat light pagan black metal can be really cool, but that particular album maybe went too far with the dry-sounding hard rock riffs. Another similar album from this year you might dig (though I didn't) is Mustan Kuun Lapset - Saatto.

Empyreal wrote:
Never heard a Nortt album but I think anyone who votes for that should be banned too.

:lol:

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:38 am 

CradleOfBurzum wrote:
Also, I have come up with 10 metal albums that I've listened to this year. I just have to put them in order now.

wow, if i only listened to 10 albums in a year, i wouldn't be comfortable making a top 10 list

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:48 am 

"Hi these are the only ten new albums I've heard all year, please rank them among the best of the best thank you"

But that's okay, he's known since February that Nortt was going to be one of the best releases of the year so I think we should cut him some slack. Not every day a bona fide clairvoyant joins the forum.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

~Guest 417309
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:37 am 

The Obsessed and Melvins put out my favorite records this year - far from the most pants-shittingly brutal or underground records released but the ones with the best songs and the most magic for my money.Sacred is a rainy, soulful doom/stoner masterpiece with amazing songwriting and timeless riffs and all the 'fuck you' attitude you could want. A Walk with Love and Death finds Buzzo branching into psychedelic, jam-oriented territory, probably their mellowest album to date, with scattered moments of that legendary Melvins weirdo-prog heaviness.

Both are perfect late night smoke session types of albums. Sodden Jackal, Stranger Things and Black Heath are my songs of the year. Yeah both of these records are basically super-fuzzy rock and roll albums but so what.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:58 am 

CradleOfBurzum wrote:

Being an active member of this forum but listening to less than one new release a month is mind-boggling to me. So you've spent more time arguing with strangers about new music than actually consuming it?

So far I've purchased 106 2017 releases. If we're counting just "listens" then it's probably double that. I'm taking the whole month of December to revisit everything I bought at least once, picking up what's still on my to-buy, and then hopefully throwing it onto a list Dec 31. It's a fucking thrill for me, my favorite time of year :hyper:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:03 am 

10 new albums in a year is basically less than one a month - if a regular album is between 35 and 60 minutes long and you can't find time to hear more than one a month or so, maybe you don't need to do a Top 10 for a poll.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:05 am 

My hunger for new earworms is insatiable. I consume at least 10 new albums a month, let alone a year.

CradleOfBurzum
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:24 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
"Hi these are the only ten new albums I've heard all year, please rank them among the best of the best thank you"

But that's okay, he's known since February that Nortt was going to be one of the best releases of the year so I think we should cut him some slack. Not every day a bona fide clairvoyant joins the forum.

I've been apart of these forums for almost a decade. I'm also a full time college student, so I don't have time to just lay in my bed and spend an hour listening to a new album every single day. I enjoy listening to music I already know that I like, which means releases from previous years. But, please, keep going with the insults. This is why metalheads have such a negative stigma around them. Most of them are bullies. Rare to find a genuinely nice person on these forums.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:55 pm 

CradleOfBurzum wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

I've been apart of these forums for almost a decade. I'm also a full time college student, so I don't have time to just lay in my bed and spend an hour listening to a new album every single day. I enjoy listening to music I already know that I like, which means releases from previous years. But, please, keep going with the insults. This is why metalheads have such a negative stigma around them. Most of them are bullies. Rare to find a genuinely nice person on these forums.

I never lay in bed and do nothing but listen to music, and I heard more than 10 albums. I have a full time job and several other obligations off the internet and it was no big deal to hear a handful of new albums every month or two. For someone who hates insults you sure are good at insinuating insulting things about everyone else.

If you don't have time to listen to enough albums, then don't participate in a year end poll about the best albums of that year.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:15 pm 

I have my earbuds in almost all the time I'm not using my ears for something else. I churn through new music constantly.

But "new" merely means new to me, not necessarily newly released. I've listened to and rated about 50 new albums this year, so about 1 per week. The rest of the time I've got other stuff queued up. A guy can't listen to solely new albums all the time.

Only 17 of the 50 were from 2017, so about a third. And 9 of those I rated low, so would never make a top 10 list.

So that leaves 8, until I get the rest of my 2017 haul rated. So it's entirely possible to listen to metal at a pretty good clip and still not come up with enough albums to populate a top 10 list.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:17 pm 

GTog wrote:
So it's entirely possible to listen to metal at a pretty good clip and still not come up with enough albums to populate a top 10 list.

absolutely - nothing wrong with that, but making a top list out of them seems pretty daft

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:23 pm 

Cradle, we're not bullying you. You just have a flair for making ridiculous statements and being overly sensitive when people call you out or disagree. These aren't personal attacks, either; we're responding to things you are telling us and giving you our opinion on them. You are very welcome to think we're all full of shit and keep doing things your own way.

Anyway, it's time to move on from this. I keep seeing those Spotify year in review things on FB. Has anyone been using those to build your list?

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:56 pm 

I always wait for this poll every year so you guys filter out the garbage for me :wink:

Also, I'm abstaining from voting because I don't think I even heard more than 10 albums this year (maybe less). But I would like to at least listen some before the voting is closed. Withouth spoilering lists, is empath a good resource on finding this years quality albums?

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:19 pm 

Empath highlights the differences between those that are vocal in the forum and those that are vocal in their reviews, which is interesting in its own right. There is plenty of overlap (Satan's Hallow), and also plenty of stuff that attracts fanboys or those with a niche fanbase (Zebulon Kosted) who aren't likely to bother using the boards. And for the most part, very well known bands (Kreator, Overkill) tend to get more/better reviews regardless of quality so it's generally safe to filter those out. There's plenty of great stuff at the top of empath that's worth exploring on your own, but I trust the aggregate of the boards (meaning this poll) more than the reviews.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:14 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
Anyway, it's time to move on from this. I keep seeing those Spotify year in review things on FB. Has anyone been using those to build your list?

The Spotify lists I get are always interesting, because I really only use Spotify as a means of finding out whether or not I like a specific album. Once I've listened to an album once or twice I've decided whether I want to purchase it, and if I don't I likely won't revisit it. So my Spotify playlist always ends up being a pretty random group of songs I've listened to this year that would rank in completely different places on my end of the year list.

The main way I've been building my list is referring to a spreadsheet I use to log albums. It definitely makes the process easier as opposed to trying to remember everything I've listened to from this year.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:22 pm 

Spreadsheet here too. I've been keeping one for probably 10 years now. I have never found an app that can accurately recommend me anything, so I just listen to whatever and write it down.

Music Map for example tries to tell me that Decapitated is "like" Behemoth. Yes, they're both Polish, but jesus really? Not helpful. Some other apps will try to recommend stuff just because of an artist connection, like Bloodbath & Opeth. And of course on Amazon you can just pay them to shill your stuff so all recs are trash over there. Even iTunes doesn't seem to pay much attention to the enormous amount of data it steals from you, and if anyone would you'd think it'd be them.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:09 pm 

Yep, spreadsheet for life (though just for purchases). I use lastFM to track listens, but not for recommendations. In that regard I've found Spotify's similar artist tool to be the best in the business (that particular algorithm was created by the same guy who runs empath) but I find discovering new stuff on my own is much more enjoyable.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:27 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Yep, spreadsheet for life (though just for purchases). I use lastFM to track listens, but not for recommendations. In that regard I've found Spotify's similar artist tool to be the best in the business (that particular algorithm was created by the same guy who runs empath) but I find discovering new stuff on my own is much more enjoyable.

Yup, the only thing better than Spotify's Similar Artists feature is MA's own Similar Artists tab on band pages. Last.fm's Similar Artists is okay, but I only use it as a last resort after the other two... it also seems to work better for more obscure artists fsr.

pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:36 pm 

Xenophon wrote:
Horn didn't really grab me at all. Rock-y, somewhat light pagan black metal can be really cool, but that particular album maybe went too far with the dry-sounding hard rock riffs. Another similar album from this year you might dig (though I didn't) is Mustan Kuun Lapset - Saatto.

Agreed. I have a lot of time for Nerrath and I think he is more or less a genius, but Horn has gone downhill fast and I can pinpoint the exact spot - when he massively changed the production on his excellent drumming. The lo-fi sound of his albums up Distanz was a big part of his fantastic and unique sound. Konflikt was still good but I missed the old sound, and the latest one didn't grab me much at all either. As you say, hard rock riffs with none of the old charm.

I'll still buy anything he puts out but not much hope for the band now.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:29 pm 

Finally submitted mine. I have a feeling mine may have 2 titles on it that I'm the only votes for. We shall see!

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:36 pm 

jimbies wrote:
Finally submitted mine. I have a feeling mine may have 2 titles on it that I'm the only votes for. We shall see!

It happens to us all. I'm pretty sure that, last year, I was the only person who recognized the greatness of that Ariadna Project album.

Peyp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:18 am 

ObservationSlave wrote:
The main way I've been building my list is referring to a spreadsheet I use to log albums. It definitely makes the process easier as opposed to trying to remember everything I've listened to from this year.

I use a word doc and the notepad app on my computer: the first to track everything I've listened to in order of favorite to least favorite and the notepad for 2017 releases. I definitely agree with you; writing albums down is crucial for me to have an opinion on the top 10.

Xenophon wrote:
Yup, the only thing better than Spotify's Similar Artists feature is MA's own Similar Artists tab on band pages. Last.fm's Similar Artists is okay, but I only use it as a last resort after the other two... it also seems to work better for more obscure artists fsr.

I rarely use last.fm. Am I missing out? Anything amazing about it that I should know? Anyways, I'd say 75% of the metal I listen to is dictated by MA, with another 15% from my YouTube feed, and the last 10% split between Shreddit and Spotify's similar artists tab (because I don't use it that often). Honestly, if this website didn't exist I probably wouldn't even listen to metal because I wouldn't know where to start and how to find stuff that appeals to my tastes.
Due to the unfortunate reality of our guitarist fucking my girlfriend of almost 7 years WITCHROT will be taking an extended hiatus. I however will continue the band in another space and time... Thanks for the support, stay heavy. Also our drummer died...

RIP DIAMHEA

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:29 am 

Quote:
Honestly, if this website didn't exist I probably wouldn't even listen to metal because I wouldn't know where to start and how to find stuff that appeals to my tastes.

I joined this site for precisely that reason. There was nowhere else, and still isn't, that was a) as comprehensive, and b) relatively neutral. Everywhere else just wanted to shill the albums that they were trying to sell, or promote the labels that had paid to be promoted, or reviewed only the bands that would get them clicks. Nobody gave a shit about promoting quality for its own sake, because there's no money in that, I guess.

It was getting wearisome slogging through all that garbage only to reject 90% of it. Now, I slog through... somewhat less garbage, but I have more fun doing it.

Back to the app question - Is there any app that can analyze the, I don't know what to call it, sonic attributes of a song? Speed, tempo, key, tuning, etc? I don't expect any app to ever be able to tell me if the guitar solos are any good, or even if the vocalist is male or female, but surely some of that other stuff can be decoded somehow from a file.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:09 am 

GTog wrote:
Quote:
Honestly, if this website didn't exist I probably wouldn't even listen to metal because I wouldn't know where to start and how to find stuff that appeals to my tastes.

I joined this site for precisely that reason. There was nowhere else, and still isn't, that was a) as comprehensive, and b) relatively neutral. Everywhere else just wanted to shill the albums that they were trying to sell, or promote the labels that had paid to be promoted, or reviewed only the bands that would get them clicks. Nobody gave a shit about promoting quality for its own sake, because there's no money in that, I guess.

I know we're supposed to be talking about the poll, but seriously, this is true. People may disagree over some inclusions and exclusions of this site, including me, but I dare you to find anything as comprehensive as this. I've discovered so many bands from this site and this forum that it's hard to imagine my collection even being half as large without the wonderful insight of its userbase and encyclopedia. Totally amazing website.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:53 am 

absolutely - i can relate to what peyp said about this part as well (just substitute shreddit and spotify for a few of my friends):

Peyp wrote:
I'd say 75% of the metal I listen to is dictated by MA, with another 15% from my YouTube feed, and the last 10% split between Shreddit and Spotify's similar artists tab

tho' it's the forum that's the 75% (+), rather than the actual main site - i don't really use the related artists tab, tho' i've found some bands by checking them out because of a member playing in another band i like and following the link

People may disagree over some inclusions and exclusions, but personally, i've never met anyone that would agree with my own view as well as the archives do - i can count on one hand the examples where i would do something differently in regards to that stuff

pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:54 pm 

Peyp wrote:

I rarely use last.fm. Am I missing out? Anything amazing about it that I should know?

It depends.. I still use it religiously and have tracked almost every listen since 2010. It used to be a very active place, especially for metal fans, and had a lot of interactive functionality such as groups and customizable profiles. A couple years ago the geniuses in charge completely gutted the site in favour of a mobile/web2.0 look, and this drove away a ton of users. In the time since, the very small team has worked to reintroduce some interesting tools and visualizations, but the groups are gone, the shoutboxes are mostly dead, and the profiles remain completely void of customization. I feel like its still good for discoveries (similar artists still works as before) and for me personally I love the data tracking aspects.. it's just that it could be so much more.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:15 pm 

I didn't listen to that many new releases this year sadly, mostly sticking with my back catalogue and recommendations. I probably did end up listening to more than 10 albums from 2017 but it wouldn't really be fair to tarnish the results with a bunch of crappy recent "NWOBHM" demos. Really interested in what MA will rank as our top 10 though.

Thanks for putting in the legwork Bastardhead.

thewrll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:12 am 

MRmehman wrote:
I didn't listen to that many new releases this year sadly, mostly sticking with my back catalogue and recommendations. I probably did end up listening to more than 10 albums from 2017 but it wouldn't really be fair to tarnish the results with a bunch of crappy recent "NWOBHM" demos. Really interested in what MA will rank as our top 10 though.

Thanks for putting in the legwork Bastardhead.

I vote for albums where I am the sole vote so I would love to see what releases you favor from this year.

zeingard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:53 am 

You can pry my list from my cold dead hands. Or like in the new year because we've still got a couple of weeks, how are you people even finalising lists what is wrong with you?

The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:59 pm 

This year has been pretty mediocre for albums. Lots of disappointing albums, front loaded albums, and new bands that just need improvement overall. I'm still waiting for the new Wrathblade album to arrive in the mail and the debut album of Mark Shelton's new band Riddlemaster to be released. Im hoping I can find a few more good albums before the year ends. I've listened to a lot but so far I only have about 4 or five that really deserve a place on a top 10.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:33 pm 

thewrll wrote:
I vote for albums where I am the sole vote so I would love to see what releases you favor from this year.

The only two I can think of off the top of my head would be Havukruunu's Kelle Surut Soi and Hermóðr's Ghost of the Cold Winds. If I remember correctly, French black metal band Ende also put out a track that I really liked early this year, though I didn't get around to listening to their full length. I loved both of those albums but I really couldn't think of any others I could put on my list. I've picked through the YouTube channel "NWOTHM Full Albums" too, which has a few really great albums on it that came out this year (Don't Drop the Sword's Path to Eternity, which is cheesy as shit) but there's plenty of crap on there too. Overall, I just couldn't find 10 albums I gave enough of a shit about to send to BH.

I spent most of this year indulging in some of the great underground stuff I missed in 2016, like Kyr or stuff people recommended me, none of which came out this year. I went through a very sudden and rough break-up and my desire to listen to new metal tracks died down. I spending a month or two listening to just Bathory and Immortal. Hopefully I'll break that cycle of sadness in 2018 and enjoy how bands are pushing metal forward.

thewrll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:27 pm 

MRmehman wrote:
thewrll wrote:

The only two I can think of off the top of my head would be Havukruunu's Kelle Surut Soi and Hermóðr's Ghost of the Cold Winds. If I remember correctly, French black metal band Ende also put out a track that I really liked early this year, though I didn't get around to listening to their full length. I loved both of those albums but I really couldn't think of any others I could put on my list. I've picked through the YouTube channel "NWOTHM Full Albums" too, which has a few really great albums on it that came out this year (Don't Drop the Sword's Path to Eternity, which is cheesy as shit) but there's plenty of crap on there too. Overall, I just couldn't find 10 albums I gave enough of a shit about to send to BH.

I spent most of this year indulging in some of the great underground stuff I missed in 2016, like Kyr or stuff people recommended me, none of which came out this year. I went through a very sudden and rough break-up and my desire to listen to new metal tracks died down. I spending a month or two listening to just Bathory and Immortal. Hopefully I'll break that cycle of sadness in 2018 and enjoy how bands are pushing metal forward.

Sorry about the break up, hope you are feeling better.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:23 pm 

zeingard wrote:
Or like in the new year because we've still got a couple of weeks, how are you people even finalising lists what is wrong with you?

Because for some of us, there's nothing else that's going to convince them in two weeks that could be stronger than something that they've been listening to all year?

hmi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:27 pm 

CradleOfBurzum wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

Same here. I marvel at people having the time & drive to make ranking lists (it's a little obsessive but I understand it) so to each his own. I wish I had more time to listen to music. It helps make exercising something to look forward to because I get to listen to music :)

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:42 pm 

MRmehman wrote:
I went through a very sudden and rough break-up and my desire to listen to new metal tracks died down. I spending a month or two listening to just Bathory and Immortal. Hopefully I'll break that cycle of sadness in 2018 and enjoy how bands are pushing metal forward.

I also went through a horrible breakup this year (from planning a wedding to living alone in the span of a month) and it was the opposite reaction for me. It drove me to listen to more new music than ever before since I was looking something to fill the void, and I didn't want to listen to anything that had any associated memories.

zeingard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:50 am 

Wilytank wrote:
zeingard wrote:
Or like in the new year because we've still got a couple of weeks, how are you people even finalising lists what is wrong with you?

Because for some of us, there's nothing else that's going to convince them in two weeks that could be stronger than something that they've been listening to all year?

Well of course you're never going to find another good album with that attitude.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next