Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:41 pm 

Another mouthful-of-a-title from these guys, but they are going back to Shakespeare for the narrative, which could be cool. They were starting to stagnate and the last album didn't do much for me. Still have one of the best vocalists in the genre.

1. A Fool's Tale
2. Dowerless Daughter
3. Thankless Child
4. Stand Up for Bastards
5. Storm and Tempest
6. Demons of Madness
7. The Mad Shall Lead the Blind
8. Black Is the World
9. Battle Song
10. Blood Against Blood
11. Truth Shall Prevail
12. Farewell
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:46 pm 

Rebellion was once among my favorite bands but after the band nearly fell apart after the conclusion of the Viking trilogy, the band has only released average records. It seems as if they have said and done everything they needed to already. I'm not expecting too much here.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:01 am 

I haven't listened to all of their discography, but I have found them to be hit or miss. I think Miklagard is one of the great examples of iconic German power/heavy metal. Super gruff and gritty, but upbeat and catchy at the same time. Arminus was really boring for me though and I thought the latest was somewhere in the middle.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:13 pm 

Is the lead singer still with Wolfchant?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:39 pm 

Yes.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:48 pm 

I was a little disappointed by Arise and the album after it, and it's kinda prevented me from checking them out further.

Miklagard is a cracking album to this day though. They really struck it gold with that one. I was just playing guitar along to Ulfberth this morning.

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:31 pm 

Well, I was actually somewhat disappointed by Miklagard after the immense riffs of Tragedy in Steel (god, that main riff in The Prophecy, one of my favourites ever) and Sagas of Iceland, Arise was even blander, then Uwe left and I wondered what the point of them still continuing was, since surely he was the link between them and Grave Digger's The Clans Are Marching...

But somehow I'm excited by this. A metal Lear? With all the Gloucester eye-gouging?

Just hope they get some better actors than they did for Macbeth...

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:14 pm 

Pretty good interview with some music clips.... Seifert sounds monstrous.

Last.fm

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:02 am 

Good interview indeed. Actually gives a lot of interesting stuff on the songwriting and the recording. The opening clip of a Fool's Tale is superb and the intro to Battle Song is great old-school metal too.

I agree Seifert's an impressive on it. Comes out very well on the Fool's Tale: he starts clean and then gradually adds a growl over the top - it's kinda like throat-singing.

They're doing the acting again, but I am reminded on relistening to Tragedy in Steel the thing that makes Gottlich's Macbeth SO bad is that he insists on putting on a ridiculous accent that's more Scotty than Scottish, and he still has the awkward German pronunciation of English words. It's pretty cringe. Hopefully he doesn't make Lear sound like Dick Van Dyke.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:01 pm 

Here's a song off the album:

This has definitely got me looking forward to the album. That riff during the verses is super head-bangable and the vocals are great as well.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:48 pm 

Not bad; I'm digging this so far, but I hope the album isn't too stripped-down and without melodic grandeur.

Last.fm

metalistkrieg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:51 pm 

Those vocals are cringy af.

Rosenthorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:29 pm 

metalistkrieg wrote:

The fuck are you talking about? Those vocals are one of the best parts of Rebellion.

Obey the dolphin!

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:18 pm 

metalistkrieg wrote:

Yeah, he really sucks.. :roll:

Last.fm

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:12 pm 

So this is out - any listens?

It is kind of mid-paced, almost classic rock at times, with lots of slow, groovy, emotive solos: they seem to have totally moved away from Grave Digger speed metal. But I think it's a good album, first one I've really liked since Sagas of Iceland. The raw production helps, not hinders. There's a lot less of the cringe-worthy acting like on Tragedy of Steel Pt. 1. In fact the bit on the Mad Shall Lead the Blind is really cool, better than any of their Macbeth bits ("out vile jelly!").

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:39 am 

I haven't listened to Rebellion beyond Sagas of Iceland.

It had the same problem as a lot of German power/speed. The melodies aren't good enough to work as power metal, and the riffs aren't good enough to work as thrash. And even for the style they seemed worse than Rage or Paragon.

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:49 pm 

Didn't know this band but that track is absolutely awesome, gotta check the whole album out. Whoever said his vocals were cringe-worthy need to clean his ears up, he kicks ass!

Reply to topic