Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:41 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
Watched "Seeking a Friend for the End of the World" with my girlfriend. I'd seen it before, and she likes romantic films, and it was one I felt she'd enjoy.

We laughed several times, not just from great dialog, but because of the absurd similarities in views, timing, and conversation to our thus far brief time together. I tend to really enjoy movies/shows/stories that are whimsical, fun, cynical, and sucker punch you withe emotional moments. Thankfully, we don't have an impending doomsday rock racing us toward the end, but the odd coincidental timing of meeting just the right person with such spectacular timing hit us.

Really love this movie. Steve Carell and Kiera Knightley are perfect.

The scene where Steve Carell's character angrily just bellows at a happy couple in a park was pure gold. Both of us essentially nodded and said "that was me."

Aye, it's a sweet movie, in more than one sense of the word. I enjoyed it all the way through, seemed to check all the right boxes. There's this scene where he carries her to the plane with The Hollies' "The Air That I Breathe" playing, which for some reason I thought was romantic as fuck and really hit me emotionally. Hah.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:24 pm 

People often call Seeking a Friend... "Melancholia for idiots" but they're only displaying their own idiocy, because both films are doing fundamentally different things. While I think Melancholia is probably the better film, they're both poignant ruminations on the apocalypse and death, and I dare say that Seeking is a helluva lot more fun.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:48 am 

Just watched Dunkirk. This is the kind of movie that should be viewed on a 4k tv with dolby atmos. Only minor gripe is the pointless change in aspect ratios(like the new Transformers), as the black bar parts are just a few seconds long and feel completely random.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:53 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
People often call Seeking a Friend... "Melancholia for idiots" but they're only displaying their own idiocy, because both films are doing fundamentally different things. While I think Melancholia is probably the better film, they're both poignant ruminations on the apocalypse and death, and I dare say that Seeking is a helluva lot more fun.

I thought both were decent enough movies for what they were, though I don't think Seeking's "Melancholia for idiots" tag is that idiotic in itself. It was another generic indie comedy/drama that didn't bring much of anything new to the table or have a whole lot of depth, but it was still a well-made movie that did an effective job of immersing the viewer into its "world," characters to get invested in, etc.

Also, it's probably fair to say that just about any movie is more "fun" than Melancholia haha.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:00 pm 

Melancholia wasn't a good movie. It's a shame because it certainly had the imagery and the intrigue that could have made one - but it was long and slow and empty and didn't really have the substance to fill in that emptiness. This and Mother! are both movies that posture themselves in a certain way but aren't as smart as they seem to want us to think.

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World - I haven't heard about that one pretty much ever. I saw it in theaters but nobody ever mentions it. I remember it being pretty good, but it's been years since I even thought about it.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:16 pm 

I agree with Empyreal about Melancholia. It was an ordeal to sit through - just a lot of long, slow nothingness made worse by thoroughly unsympathetic and dislikable characters.

I watched The Big Sick yesterday, after long hesitation. I didn't think I'd like it, but I did. Despite being funny, I can't really call it a comedy; it's too difficult and unhappy for that. For those who don't know, it's about this Pakistani-American comedian who's at odds with his traditionalist family that wants him to marry a Pakistani woman by their arrangement. It's based on the director and lead actor's life - I forget his name right now and don't feel like looking it up. Worth a watch, though at two hours it runs a little long. The one thing that still irks me is the joke about not being able to rhyme anything with 'Stonehenge'. I can think of lots of words that do.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:33 pm 

You can have unsympathetic and unlikable characters - it just has to be with a good story, which I didn't think Melancholia was. It just felt like it was trying to say something through the slow pace and the stretches of silence, but it never hit home for me or ever really connected.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:06 am 

Azmodes wrote:
Aye, it's a sweet movie, in more than one sense of the word. I enjoyed it all the way through, seemed to check all the right boxes. There's this scene where he carries her to the plane with The Hollies' "The Air That I Breathe" playing, which for some reason I thought was romantic as fuck and really hit me emotionally. Hah.

That scene was simultaneously heartfelt and heartbreaking. Pulling off moments like that in stories is rare, but impactful. Like Seymour waiting for Fry.

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:08 am 

I haven't seen Jurassic World and I'm not rushing to see this new one either, but:

Trailer

First thought - Where do I recognize her from? Oh yeah, Black Mirror.

Second thought - Where have I heard that song before? Black Mirror.

Just a strange coincidence?

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YHgHO8im2s&t=77s

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:13 am 

Watched "Mankillers" last night, definitely from the same folks who made "Deadly Prey." Big-haired, chesty lady recruits other big-haired, chesty ladies from prison to form an elite (ha!) assault team to go after a former CIA agent/drug dealer/drug user/murderer/pimp/mullet-haver in "South America." This one was even funnier than "Deadly Prey," lots of insanely bad acting, ridiculous lines and outfits. Nothing beats the grenades though - for some reason in this movie when they throw a grenade it turns immediately into a puff of smoke on the ground, and the people near the explosion jump into the air (but are not actually blown up). Most of the time the grenade apparently kills those who it lands near, or, in the case of the head bad guy, it just knocks him out for two minutes.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:31 pm 

Foulchrist wrote:
I haven't seen Jurassic World and I'm not rushing to see this new one either, but:

Trailer

First thought - Where do I recognize her from? Oh yeah, Black Mirror.

Second thought - Where have I heard that song before? Black Mirror.

Just a strange coincidence?

She was in the first Jurassic World. This just looks like The Lost World Part 2. So Jurassic Park 2: 2.

The first Jurassic World was garbage. The end had some very slight redeeming stuff, but that was about it. For the most part, it should be avoided.

Here's a good write-up on part of why it sucked so fucking bad.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:01 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
The first Jurassic World was garbage.

As someone who waited 15-odd years for a sequel, I sadly agree. Some parts were alright but overall it was bad. I will still likely see the new one in the hopes of redemption.

Resident_Hazard wrote:

The author here sticks to things like camera angles and emotional reactions. While valid, there's so much more to delve into. Why are the kids' parents getting a divorce, and why should I care? How could they take their floating ball off the tracks? Why does the chick run in heels? Why did the writers give her and Chris Pratt sexual tension? Why did the movie itself take too long to get going? Why was there so much unnecessary product placement? Why doesn't the Indominus Rex cloak only once when it's one of its strongest assets? Why did the Jeeps used in the first movie, and the fucking night-vision goggles, STILL WORK? And so on and so on....

I really, truly, desperately hope the new film is a lot better.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:01 am 

Better Watch Out - This was a Christmas movie / home invasion thriller starring both kids from The Visit and Billy from Stranger Things. Early on it reminded me of The Babysitter, with the younger boy having a crush on the older girl who watches him while his parents are away. But eventually this movie did its own thing, which I thought worked pretty well.

If you have any interest at all in watching this, avoid the trailer, since it spoils almost every important detail.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:46 am 

More clumsy, forced nostalgia pandering and somehow less convincing CGI effects than the first Jurassic Park? It's almost like they are throwing so much at you that it flattens some of the impact.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:10 am 

I watched "Jim and Andy" the other night. I like Jim Carrey (he likes Cannibal Corpse, for fuck's sake), but... it was awfully boring and uneventful. Though I really admire his attitude and surprising level of modesty being a celebrity.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:04 pm 

Really enjoyed Atomic Blonde. The plot wasn't anything special, but ultimately it functioned very well as the vehicle for some really excellent fight sequences.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:47 pm 

AboveTheThrone wrote:
I watched "Jim and Andy" the other night. I like Jim Carrey (he likes Cannibal Corpse, for fuck's sake), but... it was awfully boring and uneventful. Though I really admire his attitude and surprising level of modesty being a celebrity.

Disagree 100% . I also had a brief spell of insane admiration for Andy Kaufman during my teenage years, so I admit my bias.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:47 pm 

As soon as I found out that the reason for training the raptors was to use them to hunt al-Qaeda in Afghanistan it became impossible for me to take this new "Jurassic World" series seriously on any level beyond what you would afford a bad Sci-Fy channel movie. I mean, once it's gotten to that point you might as well go with the original script idea of raptors learning how to drive boats and shoot guns.

Also, terrible trailer is terrible.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:51 pm 

Lost World had the right idea that it should've fully committed to: Get some people on an island. They can't escape for some reason--a storm, the boat is wrecked, whatever. Dinosaurs are involved. People running around like crazy while fucking dinosaurs run amok. Shit happens. Boom! Movie. Done.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:55 pm 

I just rewatched Jurassic Park with my sister today and I still liked it. Chills with that T-rex scene to this day. Rewatched Jurassic World and hated it. I really thought it was some ultra bad shit in ways that makes Lost World, which I still kind of like but wouldn't call great, a goldmine. Pandering BS with the thinnest characters is a good way to describe it.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:23 am 

I loved Jurassic World when I saw it in theaters but after seeing other people's critiques of it I finally pulled my head out of my ass and realized how lacking it was. It's kind of sad that a movie made in 2015 looks far more fake and has far worse special effects than a movie made in 1993. I think part of the problem was the direction - what is with this fascination of giving amateur directors big projects like this? Prior to Jurassic World, Colin Trevorrow's biggest movie was an indie sci fi flick. Compared to the original, where Steven Spielberg already had almost twenty years of classics like Jaws and E.T. under his belt. The Star Wars franchise is pulling the same shit and it makes no sense to me.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:22 am 

The Disaster Artist - Hilarious and poignant and just plain bizarre. The Room became a mutant cultural phenomenon and this movie is a tribute to it's fascinating legacy, a mulling on art and success and just a funny fucking movie. Franco is outstanding as Tommy Wiseau. Just go see it.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:44 pm 

Watched Atonement on a friend's reccomendation. Will not be trusting this friend again. Dreadful, melodramatic, boring stuff.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:16 am 

Atonement is awful and somehow the book is even worse. Manipulative bullshit designed solely to extract tears from your tearducts with a medical syringe.

Anyway, Melancholia is a movie I hated the first time I saw it, but after dealing with and knowing other people who have experienced crippling, debilitating depression, it became one of my favorite films and it is most certainly better than Seeking a Friend, but it's also extremely inaccessible and challenging to watch. Not a pizza and beer movie to watch after a hard day at work by any stretch.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:52 am 

So I finally watched Django Unchained. My mind was more open than a Green Party top donor and I secretly was worried I'd actually love it, negating every bad thing I said about it before actually watching it.

My final score: 0/10

35 minutes of sort of good action scenes and a few good moments tediously padded out to almost THREE FUCKING HOURS by way of interminable and pretentious soliloquies, which may actually be copy-pasted from the opening paragraph of Wikipedia articles (Dumas wrote this book called Three Musketeers and he was black, Brunhildda was a famous figure from German mythology, etc) and completely pointless montages and scenes of people staring at each other.

Could someone who liked this, ugh, "film" tell me why, and more importantly, how?

why
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:45 am 

Quote:
tell me why

I LOVED the seamless tonal shifts between dead serious moments and relaxed, almost arbitrary dialogue, topped of with a display of violence that acts in the same way: from over the top funny gore, to disgusting racism-based violence you're taken on a roller coaster ride where real madness mixes intricately with cinematic/dramatized unreality, exposing the nature of both in the process. The parts that feel like arbitrary conversations or fact spewing ground the whole proceedings in a relaxed pseudo-realism before you get kicked down into the hole of REAL realism again, where slaves suffer torture and are dragged out of a week long confinement in punishment chambers. This movie is all about how you can produce a meaningful film using the primary tool of extreme tonal shifts.

(Edit: the consistent and masterful style of filming and cinematography is what keeps these extreme shifts flowing and creates another interesting layer: the continuity of the immersive and beautifully shot film is in stark contrast to the obviously intentional tonal inconsistency. The images create an illusion of safety and homogeneity where there is none)

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:55 am 

AboveTheThrone wrote:

I don't understand how anyone could find that movie boring, but everyone has their own opinion.

I thoroughly enjoyed the entire movie. It's such an interesting, bizarre story.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:13 pm 

Django Unchained is tasteless crap and made me not even watch the last Tarantino movie. I'm glad I don't have an attachment to Star Trek since it looks like he's actually going to be allowed to make a Star Trek movie. I guess I can still see the appeal of Tarantino; he's definitely got a distinctive style, it's just that I find that style cringe-inducing.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:42 pm 

I didn't like Django or Hateful Eight. Both just showed how much Tarantino is losing it and just resorting to cheap pandering and shock value type stuff - or in Hateful Eight's case, making a bad movie he could excuse by saying it was supposed to be like an old movie.

Pulp Fiction will always be a favorite though.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:40 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I didn't like Django or Hateful Eight. Both just showed how much Tarantino is losing it and just resorting to cheap pandering and shock value type stuff - or in Hateful Eight's case, making a bad movie he could excuse by saying it was supposed to be like an old movie.

Yup, that about sums up my feelings too. Pulp Fiction is a classic for good reason, but I think Inglourious Basterds is phenomenal and I'd probably vote that to be his "best." The whole structure of it is unique (i.e. only a handful of long, extended "scenes" - each beginning mildly enough but growing/building in suspense until they reach climax and then starting again with the next scene). I loved the "artistic liberties" taken in changing history too. I could've done without Eli Roth, but that should go without saying.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:47 pm 

Just watched Zvyagintsev's latest "Loveless" (Nelyubov), holy fuck. It may be my favourite by him. He seems to get better with each project, because I thought Leviathan was his best work a couple years ago.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:52 am 

Razakel wrote:
I'm glad I don't have an attachment to Star Trek since it looks like he's actually going to be allowed to make a Star Trek movie. I guess I can still see the appeal of Tarantino; he's definitely got a distinctive style, it's just that I find that style cringe-inducing.

I have enjoyed Tarantino in the past, but the very idea of him making a Trek film is reprehensible on all levels. Paramount clearly cares nothing for the franchise anymore and see it as little more than easy money.

Fanboys/fangirls/fantrans need to stop being so fucking accepting of just any old thing just because it has a franchise label on it that they are completely irrational about. You know why Star Wars: Battlefront games suck? Or why literally more than half of the Star Wars movies suck? Because the fanboys will buy them anyway, because Star Wars. You know why the Abrams Trek movies sucked? Because fans went to see them anyway, because Trek. You know why the Simpsons sucks now? Because fans stopped caring about quality over a decade ago and just kept supporting the show out of sick habit.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:33 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I didn't like Django or Hateful Eight. Both just showed how much Tarantino is losing it and just resorting to cheap pandering and shock value type stuff

Quentin Tarantino has always had a slice of pulp or shock in his films. Reservoir Dogs? The ear-cutting scene? Pulp Fiction? The way-too-long male rape scene? Kill Bill? The attempted rape of an assumed corpse, and oh, I don't know, pretty much every action scene? He only does things now for shock? What are you even talking about.

Django Unchained is fucking incredible. The pulpy shootouts help make that movie what it is: a fucking amazing visual treat for fans of action films and the final shootout is a bit of a tribute to John Woo, which I loved. Tarantino is no stranger to violence. To assume he only indulges it now would be to disregard pretty much every movie he's created.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:36 am 

The difference is that I think Pulp Fiction is entertaining and that his most recent two movies were ineffective at best. PF is actually the only one I really ever go back to and it's for the great dialogue and comedy in it more than anything else. His last two movies are just lazy and weak to me. Never liked Reservoir Dogs all that much either really.

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:46 pm 

Watched "Gremlins 2" over the weekend - what a fantastic film.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:25 pm 

demonomania wrote:
Watched "Gremlins 2" over the weekend - what a fantastic film.

One of the greats.

I love the scene where they're mocking the rules of the movie. "What if he gets a caraway seed stuck in his mouth"
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:31 pm 

STAR WAAARRRRRSSSSSS!!!!

I'm going to see it in a few hours and I am just so excited and embracing my inner fanboy and freaking out. Maybe the anticipation will end up being better than the actual movie, who knows, don't care, pumped as heck, might cry when the opening text hits the screen.

Not sure if this warrants its own thread like VII so not as too annoy those uninterested, but for now WOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:16 pm 

I just got back from seeing it, myself. Lotta great twists and turns had me legitimately not knowing where it would all end up. I liked TFA, but this tops it easily.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:45 pm 

Easily the equal of A New Hope and joint second only to Empire in the franchise. I'll have to view it again, but that was my first impression.

Contains a lot of interesting twists and turns and one absolutely unreal scene which is not just one of the all time high points of the franchise but one of the best things in cinema in decades, full stop. I won't spoiler it for now.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:51 pm 

Cosmic_Equilibrium wrote:
and one absolutely unreal scene which is not just one of the all time high points of the franchise but one of the best things in cinema in decades, full stop.

You mean...that scene in the throne room? Or that one out in front of the fortress? Or one I'm not thinking of? :V

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 687, 688, 689, 690, 691, 692, 693 ... 818  Next