* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:51 pm 

frostyj66 wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:
Aosoth has AOTY for me after two listens.

+1. I posted the same in the Worthwhile Albums of 2017 thread. I feel like the opening track, while solid, is a bit misleading in that it doesn't really hint at the greatness that follows...

A Heart to Judge has two of my favorite riffs on the album back-to-back during that first verse.

Xenophon wrote:
This year I've just been putting everything in an Excel spreadsheet, which I realize is geeky as fuck, but it's quite efficient, effective, and easy to manage:

Spoiler: show

(The third column is my approximate % rating for the album. The '^' sign means I think it may have potential to grow on me with further listens.)

I've been keeping track of releases in text files but plan to start doing something like this instead.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:41 am 

On the topic of Spirit Adrift making #2: last time I spoke with their bassist Chase, he was amused by the really vigorous and excessive interest Decibel was showing in the band. Obviously happy for the exposure, but their band was kind of turned into beard metal for IPA drinkers before their very eyes :lol: but it's an amazing album that deserves lots of praise anyway.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Warty_basaloid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:02 am 

Heard
25. Cannibal Corpse, Red Before Black, Metal Blade
19. Akercocke, Renaissance in Extremis, Peaceville
14. Obituary, Obituary, Relapse
12. Kreator, Gods of Violence, Nuclear Blast
7. Immolation, Atonement, Nuclear Blast
5. Integrity, Howling, For the Nightmare Shall Consume, Relapse

Own 5 and 7, might pick up 25 at some point. Not sure how wild I am about the Integrity, nostalgia, rave reviews and seeing it for a good price might have gotten the better of me (bought without listening to it first). Might end up on EBay but will give it a few more listens, maybe its a grower.

Might check out some of the others (Enslaved, for example, forgot about that one) on the list but how much can you trust a list that mentions Propaghandi? :-P

Last edited by Warty_basaloid on Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warty_basaloid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:12 am 

DMac77 wrote:
Propagandhi should be way higher (like, number 1).

Personal bias aside I always like Decibel's lists. They have good mix of popular and obscure, always has something from different genres. I'm actually surprised they put Converge so low, considering how much they love them. Either way I always find some good picks I missed throughout the year which is really why I read year end stuff like this.

Guess I'll have to listen to that Propagandhi album just to satisfy my curiosity. I seem to have filed them away in my brain as some annoying Bad Religion/NOFX style commercial core, 90s type of band.

Listening now. Don't think I'll have to change my assessment from the 90s.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:11 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
This one makes sense. A single writer comes up with review scores, but the year-end list is voted on by the staff. That's how every site/blog/magazine does it and it would be insane if it were any other way.

I see your point with this but I kind of feel like it needs to be the other way around. I get the notion of there being only one review of a specific album on a website but if you're going to do that, then you should really have a top list from each staff member or specifically state that a single list is a culmination of all the writers.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:25 am 

flexodus wrote:
On the topic of Spirit Adrift making #2: last time I spoke with their bassist Chase, he was amused by the really vigorous and excessive interest Decibel was showing in the band. Obviously happy for the exposure, but their band was kind of turned into beard metal for IPA drinkers before their very eyes :lol: but it's an amazing album that deserves lots of praise anyway.

I feel like if your band even sounds remotely like that then Decibel is going to drool all over it. The Spirit Adrift album is fine, but it's just Khemmis with less interesting riffs and shitty vocals. It's Pallbearer without the name Pallbearer.

pale_horse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:08 am 

I am pretty sure it does state that if you read the actual magazine. Anyway is it not obvious that it isn’t a single persons list? I thought it was weird seeing the Converge getting a lower rating by the individual reviewer versus the list but the reason why was obvious. I am just surprised they didn’t opt for a write who would do a more glowing review.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:36 am 

Re: Converge;

I'm sure peoples opinions waver a little bit with time. Maybe the original reviewer gave it a 7 after a handful or a dozen listens, but over time has placed it higher (or lower) on his personal list. If I were to go back and re-make my favourite albums from 2012 list, I'm sure they would be moved around a little.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:00 pm 

flexodus wrote:

Haha!
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

DMac77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:01 pm 

Warty_basaloid wrote:
DMac77 wrote:

Personal bias aside I always like Decibel's lists. They have good mix of popular and obscure, always has something from different genres. I'm actually surprised they put Converge so low, considering how much they love them. Either way I always find some good picks I missed throughout the year which is really why I read year end stuff like this.

Guess I'll have to listen to that Propagandhi album just to satisfy my curiosity. I seem to have filed them away in my brain as some annoying Bad Religion/NOFX style commercial core, 90s type of band.

If you've listened to any of the last three Propagandhi records and think they sound anything like NOFX you're deaf. Why are there so many people on this site that just try hard to seem cool and dismissive? Their first record was blatant Epitaph pop-punk stuff but ever since the early 2000s they've been playing thrash/hardcore style music.

Warty_basaloid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:34 pm 

DMac77 wrote:

If you've listened to any of the last three Propagandhi records and think they sound anything like NOFX you're deaf. Why are there so many people on this site that just try hard to seem cool and dismissive? Their first record was blatant Epitaph pop-punk stuff but ever since the early 2000s they've been playing thrash/hardcore style music.

Now, now, you're still allowed to enjoy them, even though I barely could make it through 2 songs of that new record. As you admit yourself, they sounded, and as indicated I only ever heard a few tracks by them in the 90s then wrote them off, like all these commercial Epitath bands that popped up after Bad Religion and NOFX started to sell records and plagued European festivals.

And I don't even mind some of the early Bad Religion and NOFX stuff.

frostyj66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:02 am 

Decided to listen to some on the list I missed and I am absolutely loving Cloak! This nails the BM with rock swagger sound without feeling stale or forced. Much more organic and lively than Satyricon's past efforts. Recommended!

thewrll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:40 am 

The only album on the list I can get behind is the new Bellwitch.

Rottir
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:57 pm 

Warty_basaloid wrote:
DMac77 wrote:

This comment is about as stupid as putting a punk album on a year-end metal list.

As for the rating/list mismatch, it would make the most sense to select the highest rated albums from reviews and then have the staff debate the order therein. Reviewers have definite opinions and tastes about certain bands and sub-genres, but there still remains an inherent objectivity about what constitutes a good album. Decibel not recognizing that about their own content impacts their credibility.

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:09 pm 

Rottir wrote:
...there still remains an inherent objectivity about what constitutes a good album.

Which is what, exactly?

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:06 am 

praey wrote:
Rottir wrote:
...there still remains an inherent objectivity about what constitutes a good album.

Which is what, exactly?

Sounds like "Under a Funeral Moon".

Warty_basaloid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:56 am 

Quote:
This comment is about as stupid as putting a punk album on a year-end metal list.

As for the rating/list mismatch, it would make the most sense to select the highest rated albums from reviews and then have the staff debate the order therein. Reviewers have definite opinions and tastes about certain bands and sub-genres, but there still remains an inherent objectivity about what constitutes a good album. Decibel not recognizing that about their own content impacts their credibility.

Propagandhi isn't really punk or hardcore, it's still humour free social worker commercialcore for people who work in banks but still like to see Bad Religion on the weekend, with some other influences these days, but who cares, it's the overall vibe of it all which makes it perhaps the most annoying style ever created apart from trance techno and stuff like Dido.

pale_horse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:28 am 

https://www.decibelmagazine.com/2017/11/27/35-overlooked-albums-2017/

Decibel’s 35 Overlooked Albums of 2017

Apostate Viaticum – “Before the Gates of Gomorrah”
Biesy – “Noc lekkich obyczajów“
Coldfells – “Coldfells”
Cloven Hoof – “Who Mourns for the Morning Star?”
Crusty Old Toad – “Turn People Into Food”
Dreaming Dead – “Funeral Twilight”
Dvne – “Asheran”
Earthling – “Spinning in the Void”
Evo – “Warfare”
Falls of Rauros – “Vigilence Perennial”
Gutslit – “Amputheatre”
Hallas – “Excerpts From a Future Past”
Inconcessus Lux Lucis – “The Crowning Quietus”
Klabautamann – “Smaragd”
Lock Howl – “Pareidolia”
Locust Leaves – “A Subtler Kind of Light”
Mahakala – “The Second Fall”
Malokarpatan – ““Nordkarpatenland””
OMRÅDE – “Nåde”
Rope Sect – “Personae Ingratae”
Tchornobog – “Tchornobog”
Satans Hallow – “Satan’s Hallow”
Saule – “Saule”
Selcouth – “Heart is the Star of Chaos”
Soror Dolorosa – “Apollo”
Tusmorke – “Bydyra”
Venomous Maximus – “No Warning”
Varmia – “Z Mar Twych”
Venenum – “Trance of Death”
Vinsta – “Vinsta Wiads”
Vulture – “The Guillotine”
White Ward – “Futility Report”
Wode – “Servants of the Countercosmos”
Xanthochroid – “Of Erthe and Axen (Acts I and II)”

TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:40 am 

Now that's a list I can get behind, although I think I didn't hear even half of it, but what I did, is definitely worthwhile: Dvne, Malokarpatan, Tchonobog, Satan's Hallow, Venenum... and a bunch of others that deserve at least a listen, like Xanthochroid or Vulture.
"Of Terror and the Supernatural by Temple of Void is miles ahead of It's midnight in Neverland and I can't get my dick out of this unicorn; Volume 8 by Nightwish in both the amount of heaviness and lack of keyboards."

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:31 am 

I really can't bitch about this one too much. Good move, Decibel. I'd love to see more bigger outlets make these types of lists.

pale_horse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:42 am 

I love that Rope Sect album.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:17 pm 

pale_horse wrote:

niiiiiiice I put them as my debut of the year. Solid speed metal!

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:20 pm 

Unorthodox wrote:
pale_horse wrote:

niiiiiiice I put them as my debut of the year. Solid speed metal!

The track "Adrian's Cradle" had me severely wound up.

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:56 pm 

Here's Revolver's list, with Code Orange at #1...

https://www.revolvermag.com/music/20-be ... nihilation

pale_horse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:17 pm 

Well, at least they are being inclusive. They included all the heavy shit they listened to this year.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:15 pm 

pale_horse wrote:
Decibel’s 35 Overlooked Albums of 2017

Biesy – “Noc lekkich obyczajów“

Nice! This album is very good. Glad to see it get even a little bit of exposure.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:36 pm 

And here is Rolling Stone's list, with Code Orange at the top again. Sigh..

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists ... er-w513300

Nice to see Krallice and Pyrrhon on there.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:10 pm 

theagentcoma wrote:
And here is Rolling Stone's list, with Code Orange at the top again. Sigh..

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists ... er-w513300

Nice to see Krallice and Pyrrhon on there.

All the Code Orange Kids mentions are puke-worthy.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:09 pm 

Listened to the song "Forever" on youtube. Holy shit...

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:32 am 

I really don't mind Code Orange, their last two albums are ok with some cool moments on each. But I don't understand how they became media darlings for popular publications. Why are they so excited about slightly beefier metalcore with a couple industrial/ambient moments? Might have one of the better production jobs of 2017, but by musicianship, songwriting, innovation or any other metric, it doesn't come close to my top 10. At #1 is just a joke. But I don't take Revolver or Rolling Stone seriously so it's all good.

pale_horse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:33 pm 

More like code bore-ange

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:50 pm 

Been waiting until there's been some talk here, and not one mention of Possession. :scratch:
You guys seriously need to hear this.

Also, always noticed their fetish for Pallbearer and Myrkur, and I honestly don't believe they should be that high. I actually agree with Power Trip though. It's an awesome album but I only spin Firing Squad and Crucifixation on the regular, but I do play those tracks a LOT, it's hard to skip them.

Also, SPECTRAL FUCKING VOICE

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:20 pm 

TheMysticWombat wrote:
Been waiting until there's been some talk here, and not one mention of Possession. :scratch:
You guys seriously need to hear this.

Man, I've seen a few people talking up this album and do not understand the hype. Yeah, the first song is fine, in the same way that Asphyx's "Scorbutics" is fine: the riffs feel familiar but at least they're combined in such a way as to make for a compelling track. The rest of the album is more or less a total snoozefest with the exception of "Take the Oath," which is a good song but feels bizarrely out of place as it's the only track with any sort of identifiable chorus section. If you want better blackened death metal from this year, check out the new Weregoat, Necroblood, Goatpenis, or Ritualization albums instead. Heck, I even enjoyed the new Hades Archer more than this, and that's the same band with an EP called "Penis Metal."

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:34 pm 

Exorkizein is a great album for sure. The riffs may be simple, but the songwriting is just so good, so aggressive and dark, that it overshadows a lot of more overstuffed extreme metal albums, or albums that may have some flashy tricks on the surface but have lackluster songwriting beneath. It's one of a very small handful of death metal albums that is fighting for some of the lower slots on my top 10 list right now.

Cynical
Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:15 pm 

praey wrote:
Heck, I even enjoyed the new Hades Archer more than this, and that's the same band with an EP called "Penis Metal."

Despite the goofy name of that EP, Hades Archer are really quite good. Didn't know they had a new one out.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:41 pm 

Power Trip is the absolute winner of 2017 for me... someone finally got it right and made a retro style sound completely fresh, and it's fucking fantastic. No new thrash band has really done that yet imo, despite bands trying since around 2000 at this point - not the likes of Municipal Waste and Bonded by Blood, or more obscure Hellbringers and whatnot. Nightmare Logic has "it" and that album is entering permanent rotation. It's almost like I'm 7 again and just heard Metallica for the first time. I've heard the new Aosoth album as well and yeah, it's kinda cool, sounds like Sulphur Aeon (a good thing), but there's no way I'll have that album playing at this time next year. Nightmare Logic is here to stay imo. Fanboying and gushing all over the shop.

TrachomaSlayer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:09 pm 

Over the weekend I was sharing some of my favorite music of 2017 with a friend who was super into metal during the eighties but hasn't been keeping up with new stuff. Power Trip totally blew him away, unsurprisingly since it sounds like it was made in the eighties, but he was also really into some more modern sounding stuff like Temple of Void. All in all it was really fun to get the perspective of someone who has been completely out of the metal scene for a long time.

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:23 am 

Glad to see so much love for Power Trip, Nightmare Logic is definitely going on my year-end list. Great live band too. This is one of those bands that make me happy there are groups like this still out there. No bullshit metal clearly inspired but the old school but still feeling wholly modern.

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:14 am 

Sort of hijacking this thread, but I thought it wasn't really necessary to make a new thread about every single magazine/outlet that publishes a list.

Anyway, this is Stereogums Top 40 - The Best Metal Albums Of 2017

https://www.stereogum.com/1975088/the-best-metal-albums-of-2017/franchises/2017-in-review/

I think that this list is pretty interesting, considering that fact that they have included quite a lot of records that I actually had missed completely.
What do you guys think about it?

TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:24 am 

e_ddi_e wrote:
Sort of hijacking this thread, but I thought it wasn't really necessary to make a new thread about every single magazine/outlet that publishes a list.

Anyway, this is Stereogums Top 40 - The Best Metal Albums Of 2017

https://www.stereogum.com/1975088/the-best-metal-albums-of-2017/franchises/2017-in-review/

I think that this list is pretty interesting, considering that fact that they have included quite a lot of records that I actually had missed completely.
What do you guys think about it?

Pretty good list, though it pretty much ignores traditional and thrash metal (except Condor). Not that big on Krallice being #1, and Morbid Angel are in no way deserving a top 10 place, but as far as picks go, there are many that are in my, say, top 50.
"Of Terror and the Supernatural by Temple of Void is miles ahead of It's midnight in Neverland and I can't get my dick out of this unicorn; Volume 8 by Nightwish in both the amount of heaviness and lack of keyboards."

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next