* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:01 pm 

OceanOfViolence wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
I saw Nasty and Lionheart a year or so ago, and there was a dude (people who go to metal shows around Chicago know him, he's part of Dano's crew) who was like, skip-moshing from side to side the entire time and just killed all the momentum of the crowd. Nobody could get out there and do their hardcore thing because he's just so much bigger than everybody else and would just knock them over if they tried. You don't realize just how incompatible metal style moshing is with hardcore until you see somebody doing it wrong. When a massive breakdown or two-step breaks through and nobody can get out there and two-step, it's just wrong. Let the people do their thing when the music is appropriate. If some guy is spinkicking during Overkill, run him over, but if he's doing it during Knocked Loose, fucking let him.

hahaha are you talking about Zach? He doesn't legit crowd kill ever. He'll only do what he did that day if he's super wasted (we were pounding peppermint schnapps before the show, so you can guess what level he/we were on), and even that's just running into people. Basically super aggressive moshing.

Lol yeah Zach. Yeah he wasn't crowdkilling in any manner but he did pretty much singlehandedly kill the crowd momentum that night because he just wouldn't stop doing the wrong kind of mosh. Every time somebody went out to two-step he would just slam into them and everybody just gave up because he was the biggest guy in the room. He was pretty much the only guy in the crowd that moved at all during Lionheart!
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:16 am 

Blech, hospitals are so frickin slow to read applications.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:27 am 

The cashier at Target last night told me I look like Ryan Gosling, and to hold onto that because he's hot. She was in her 60's, and said she wasn't trying to "rob a cradle."

Whatever, still a compliment. I think.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:20 am 

Thats a good one to be likened to. I had a cashier at a drug store once say I looked like Garth Brooks.... I mean, what do you do, you know? :ugh:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:27 am 

Hahah I've run the gamut.

I once had a McDonalds employee tell me "You have the look for LARPING". I winced, smiled, and told him if he wanted to save some time he could just spit directly into my mouth.

More recently, at an ex's family event I had a teenage girl casually call me "Tony Stark" in conversation. I was like "Uh...what? Did I say something assholeish?" and she just laughed and said "No! That face though!" and I was absolutely beyond smitten.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:03 pm 

There was a time someone on Tinder said I look like the "Hugh Jackman of her dreams." I laughed so hard. Both Napero and Erosion can verify that!

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:09 pm 

That sounds suspiciously close to something gomorro would say.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:11 pm 

When my hair was long some metalcore kids told me I looked like the singer of Dead to Fall, and when I cut my hair and combed it back I got Martin Havlat. Really though the only thing I have in common with either is that we're all white dudes with beards and long eyelashes.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:22 pm 

Martin Havlat! I wonder how many people remember that guy?

I don't recall being compared to a specific person, but loads of people have guessed my ethnicity - always incorrectly. Folks've thought I'm Greek, Bulgarian, Russian, Inuk... sometimes they don't even ask, they just assume. Like the guy at the grocery store I worked at, who invited only me to his Arabic church picnic, saying "you should spend more time among your own people."
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:25 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
That sounds suspiciously close to something gomorro would say.

Due to the apparent lack of new gomorro material, I'd sig this comment if I knew how.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:10 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
When my hair was long some metalcore kids told me I looked like the singer of Dead to Fall, and when I cut my hair and combed it back I got Martin Havlat. Really though the only thing I have in common with either is that we're all white dudes with beards and long eyelashes.

You once said on Facebook that I looked exactly like bearded Fez from That 70s Show, and my friends have never stopped joking about it ever since.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:50 pm 

The_Apex_of_Collapse wrote:
Thats a good one to be likened to. I had a cashier at a drug store once say I looked like Garth Brooks.... I mean, what do you do, you know? :ugh:

If it was young Garth Brooks that might be okay. My perception was that the ladies loved that guy. I grew up in rural areas that were rife with Garth Brooks worship.

That guy is apparently a Black Sabbath fan.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:09 pm 

I don't typically get compared to people but i do get called beautiful frequently. Most recently by a bartender and random dude at the same bar in Montreal then some girl who i met at MdM. My eyes also get mentioned a lot, i guess i have very appealing cornea... it probably has something to do with the color changes.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:35 pm 

Morrigan, HellBlazer, and Metantoine all said I look like a young Schwarzenegger mixed with the guy from X-Play. True.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:44 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

You once said on Facebook that I looked exactly like bearded Fez from That 70s Show, and my friends have never stopped joking about it ever since.

You also have this Gerard Butler in 300 look to you too... but I think it's mostly the beard.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:59 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Morrigan, HellBlazer, and Metantoine all said I look like a young Schwarzenegger

How young?

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:51 pm 

Derigin wrote:
You also have this Gerard Butler in 300 look to you too... but I think it's mostly the beard.

Yeah, I wish I was as ripped as Leonidas :lol: That's definitely a much more flattering comparison though :-P

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:03 pm 

When I was younger I was once compared to George Clooney. Made no sense to me but it's something I've always remembered (even if I forget who said it).

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:15 pm 

I just get called Hitler Youth because I shave my head now.

I'm just completing what Mother Nature started. No need to rub salt in the wound...

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:51 pm 

people used to say i looked like that nazi anthony fantano but i never really saw it. doubly so now that i have a kinda big beard and an actual hairdo.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:37 am 

I don't think I could get away with shaving my head here without being called a Nazi. I already have pagan tattoos.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:52 am 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
I just get called Hitler Youth because I shave my head now.

I'm just completing what Mother Nature started. No need to rub salt in the wound...

That's stupid. Modern Nazi scumbags don't really shave their heads anymore, as we all got to see in Charlottesville. I have not been called that since I started shaving mine for the same reason. I also regularly wear a cap.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:17 am 

There's plenty of OGs here who shave their heads. I think it's a prison thing mostly as most of them are ex-cons.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:26 am 

theposega wrote:
people used to say i looked like that nazi anthony fantano but i never really saw it. doubly so now that i have a kinda big beard and an actual hairdo.

Wait, what? That guy's a Nazi?

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:34 am 

more alt-right sympathizer than anything, but yeah it was a minor deal two months ago.

and i didn't really get called a nazi or anything when i shaved my head, i just found people were far more likely to assume i wanted to hear their racist drivel.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:43 am 

There was a hit piece on Fader a month or so back that took a bunch of stuff from his weird meme filled shitposting channel that was littered with 4chan references and stuff and made it sound like he was some secret mastermind trying to absorb alt-right fans, but he posted a response video that pretty much refuted every single accusation line by line. It was kinda obvious that whoever wrote the piece had a story he was hell bent on spinning and wound up misinterpreting a ton of obvious jokes (like his Greatest Rapper Ever videos were apparently all about shitting on black people when it was actually fairly clearly making fun of fans who excuse every shitty thing and idea that their favorite artists do and say, and in one still it looks like a black kid is being hung but the whole image shows the "noose" is made of toilet paper and that sort of thing has apparently been a Black Twitter meme for eons) and the writer failed to notice really obvious holes in his theory, like the fact that his long time wife is black and an avid BLM supporter and he himself was a huge Bernie Sanders supporter if I'm remembering correctly. Didn't matter, damage was done, speaking tour canceled after his booking agent got spooked.

There are some actually shitty things about him though, like he's apparently pals with Sargon of Akkad and never challenges the shitty things he says and he's made some anti-SJW cracks here and there, but to say he was some secret alt-right Nazi mastermind was reeeeeally reaching.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:00 pm 

It really saddens me that some people seem to have fallen for that Fader article. If you follow Fantano even a little bit and know his style of making vids/comedy it's obvious he's NOT an alt-righter. Crap article with zero journalistic value.

Edit.

About his supposed friendship with Sargon; I'm pretty sure I have heard Fantano say he doesn't agree with a lot of Sargon's standpoints. I don't remember the specific video though. And yeah, he sometimes makes jokes about the more "out there" SJW's. Don't really see that as a shitty thing though. There are some loonies on that (mostly correct) side as well.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:33 pm 

Are you really shocked that journalists might not get Internet fads/communities/commentators and so overly sensationalize and dramatize what those communities do and are all about in order to get views?

I'm honestly just waiting for the day that we - as metalheads on the Internet - start automatically getting equated in the media with being members of the alt-right. It'll probably happen once such journalists pick up on the existence of NSBM, and of "right-wing" nationalist metal, and start assuming that all metalheads accept and enjoy such music. And, there'll be a number of us accused as such simply by association. When the goal of your media article is to draw conclusions, you will find them.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:10 pm 

I feel like metal's time in the negative spotlight is pretty much over. If they're not freaking out over Cannibal Corpse, then it's safe to say we're good.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:24 pm 

Pretty much. Remember that shit with Priest and the so called subliminal message that actually went to trial :ugh: very unlikely to ever see that again this day and age... Well at least in a learned society. I think the only injustice I witness here against metal is the assumption that I must love Bon Jovi because I am a metalhead :lol:

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:28 pm 

Yeah, doubtful you'd get that crazy shit again. That said, I don't doubt we might see more of what happened at MDM last year happen more frequently. The media was pretty blatant about how it labeled the festival.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:26 pm 

I was told I look like John Stamos by a waitress, once. Someone here on MA (I forgot who it was) said I look like Randy Blythe. Also got called "Zac Efron" a few times.

MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:11 pm 

When I was in Vancouver last year, some dude came up to me at a show and asked if I was Cam Pipes. He seemed kind of disappointed when I wasn't.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:05 pm 

ive been told i look like that fuckface from korn and steven wilson, nothing to be happy about

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:13 pm 

Pooooooop. Looks like Belphegor and Cryptospy are not gonna make the show tonight due to highway closures. I don't listen to either band that much these days (aside from a spin of NSV every couple months) but would have be fun to see them both live.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:15 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
There are some actually shitty things about him though, like he's apparently pals with Sargon of Akkad and never challenges the shitty things he says and he's made some anti-SJW cracks here and there, but to say he was some secret alt-right Nazi mastermind was reeeeeally reaching.

Something like that really isn't reaching, actually. There is a hand-in-hand mentality with a lot of these anti-reality fringe groups. Gamergaters, MRAs, Anti-SJW wankers, anti-feminists, transphobes and homophobes, and Nazis--and apparently when you meander more "deep web," fucking pedophiles and kiddie porn collectors.

It's not uncommon for these guys to find themselves in a fringe group and then slink from that straight into another one. When what defines you is some form of blanket hate for different groups of people, it's not a stretch to meander into another group defined by hate. A lot of times, they just straight up hate the same groups. The "mastermind" part might be reaching, but saying he's not a part of it is not.

Everything I know about Sargon of Akkad is that he's pure garbage, not unlike a good 80% of Thunderfoot and 100% of the Amazing Atheist.

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:59 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
the Amazing Atheist.

The Amazing Atheist isn't bad, IMO. Though I wish he would revert back to criticizing religion instead of the SJW-movement. He's reasonably intelligent and good at debating.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:24 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

Something like that really isn't reaching, actually. There is a hand-in-hand mentality with a lot of these anti-reality fringe groups. Gamergaters, MRAs, Anti-SJW wankers, anti-feminists, transphobes and homophobes, and Nazis--and apparently when you meander more "deep web," fucking pedophiles and kiddie porn collectors.

But how is Fantano a part of any of these groups? You seem to have skipped a step there...

EDIT: Damn, I wish my 666th post was something a bit more *special*. I'll just post a super-kvlt song from my current aoty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4M_sqOvxfU

Last edited by Xenophon on Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:26 pm 

I used to watch Thunderfoot and the Amazing Atheist when they still had their focus on religion. I was quite the little militant atheist back then, and I enjoyed how they completely destroyed people like Ray Comfort. But you know, you grow older and you realize all those "brilliant criticisms" are actually quite pedestrian, and that Thunderfoot and the Amazing Atheist aren't actually that brilliant. Then they started shifting their focus towards feminism (because you can only refute Comforts banana theory and the flat earth so many times) and showed how bad they truly are.

@Resident_Hazard Really, Fantano isn't that guy. He has an unhealthy obsession with meme culture and sometimes hangs out on podcasts with less than reputable people like Sargon or TJ (amazing atheist) I guess that makes him "part" of that group in some way but as far as I know he's all about that progressive liberalism. You can be friends or acquaintances with people you don't agree with politically.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:37 am 

People refuting faith with logic? What utterly brilliant, dazzling intellects they must have. :roll:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140 ... 332  Next