Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:34 pm 

Just finished watching Linklater's "Before Trilogy" all in 24 hours. Exceptional. How Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy didn't get oscar nominations is beyond me.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:05 pm 

I finally watched Don't Breathe the other night. It had been on my watch-list since before it even came out. It was pretty good though I think my expectations for a bit too high from all the praise.

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:35 pm 

Watched another amazing turd on Amazon Prime last night entitled "Shotgun," though I think it should have been named "Shotgun Jones" given the theme song. Two cops apparently assigned to the "protect hookers" beat find out about a "kinko" who has been beating up prostitutes. Turns out (SPOILER ALERT) the crimes are committed by a tagteam of a big Larry Bird looking goofball and "America's top defense lawyer," an ultrarich British drug kingpin who changes his accent and puts on some Zorro bondage gear when he assaults women. He kills one of the cops' hooker sister, which leads to a bunch of boring stuff where the cop gets kicked off the force and decides to be a shotgun-wielding bounty hunter. In one potent scene, "Shotgun Jones" shoots rock salt directly into bailjumper's asshole. The whole thing ends with Shotgun Jones and his friend modifying a truck into a mini-tank and assaulting the drug hideout in Mexico, and the British lawyer getting shotgunned in the chest (presumably not with rock salt) after giving a ridiculous speech about how he'd use his money to get away with it all.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:54 pm 

So Coco is basically the greatest Pixar movie ever made and you all should be watching it, like, right now.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:02 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
So Coco is basically the greatest Pixar movie ever made and you all should be watching it, like, right now.

I'm very excited to see it.

I still need to see The Good Dinosaur.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:26 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:

Damn and here I was looking forward to it! Well, thanks for the warning, Zelk.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:12 pm 

'Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri' is a fantastic film. A thoroughly entertaining, funny piece of filmmaking - but underneath that is a more morally gray, complex story that has you questioning things as it goes on. Sharp-witted and thoughtful and super well-done.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:28 am 

Saw Ladybird last night and was really impressed. Didn't lose me for a second, it's a very engaging coming of age story that anyone who grew up in the US worrying about college should be able to relate to. I often use this term in a derogatory way when music/media gets pretentious or unbearably indie, but it truly was an "authentic" film in all respects. After the first scene I thought I was going to hate the protagonist, and by the end I'm totally won over and tearing up a bit. Really well cast movie; can't think of a single poor performance and a few scenes had me in stitches. Was skeptical after all the "100% on RT!!!!!1" hype, but it's a really fine family conflict drama that deserves praise. Also, the fact that it takes place in Sacramento was an extra bonus to me; recognized a few locations, and every time Ladybird refuses to attend UC Davis (graduated there last year) was really funny for everyone in the theater.

Also, saw the trailers for Disaster Artist and Three Billboards along with it. Really excited for those, especially the latter. McDormand has been great in Coen films, and I enjoyed In Bruges and Seven Psychopaths as well. Both of those due for a rewatch.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:41 am 

Watched Air Bud: Golden Receiver recently. The early Air Bud films are definitely superior to the later sequels as they still have the original cast (including Air Bud himself) and Buddy retains his rascally personality and the film is more focused on his involvement in sports with the kid as the means by which the kid's life problems are resolved. Air Bud Spikes Back severely mishandled this issue by making Buddy's participation in the kid's attempts to resolve their problem very minimal and ultimately periphery to her success. What good is an animal playing sports if the animal doesn't resolve the plot by playing sports?

As an animal playing sports film there's a lot to enjoy because there are many scenes of Buddy playing sports. The opening and closing scenes involve Buddy interfering with national league level sporting events and there is a build up to Buddy playing the new sport (this time football) structured similarly to how Buddy's basketball skills were cultivated in the first film. There is a logical progression from basketball to football which was missing in Spikes Back. Another advantage is that this film has lots of other animals including other animals that play sports (a skateboarding monkey ala Most Vertical Primate) who are involved in the physical comedy side-skits which fill out the otherwise anemic and perfunctory dognapping subplot. There is also a talking bird who reveals important plot information, a concept that would later be recycled in the first Air Buddies movie.

Sadly there was no gay sexual tension in this film.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:01 am 

flexodus wrote:
Saw Ladybird last night and was really impressed. Didn't lose me for a second, it's a very engaging coming of age story that anyone who grew up in the US worrying about college should be able to relate to. I often use this term in a derogatory way when music/media gets pretentious or unbearably indie, but it truly was an "authentic" film in all respects. After the first scene I thought I was going to hate the protagonist, and by the end I'm totally won over and tearing up a bit. Really well cast movie; can't think of a single poor performance and a few scenes had me in stitches. Was skeptical after all the "100% on RT!!!!!1" hype, but it's a really fine family conflict drama that deserves praise. Also, the fact that it takes place in Sacramento was an extra bonus to me; recognized a few locations, and every time Ladybird refuses to attend UC Davis (graduated there last year) was really funny for everyone in the theater.

Also, saw the trailers for Disaster Artist and Three Billboards along with it. Really excited for those, especially the latter. McDormand has been great in Coen films, and I enjoyed In Bruges and Seven Psychopaths as well. Both of those due for a rewatch.

Great, film, yeah.

Though that 100% on Rotten Tomatoes is kind of a bad omen - this isn't just a reply to you but in general. Now you'll get a lot of people buying into hype instead of the movie's natural quality. "This movie didn't REALLY bring my dead family back from the grave - not worth the 100 on RT, which is my sole criteria." And you'll get a lot of reactionary negative talk not really based on the movie.

Don't listen to hype - just watch stuff for what it is.

And yeah you'll like Three Billboards. Easily this guy's best film yet. I didn't like Seven Psychopaths at all but this was fucking fantastic.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:45 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:

Damn and here I was looking forward to it! Well, thanks for the warning, Zelk.

You wouldn't like it anyway--it's spectacular and everyone loves it, so naturally it's your anathema.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:08 pm 

That new Avengers: Infinity War trailer. Hoo boy.

And we already know DD hates it with the passion far exceeding that of a thousand burning suns, so no need to comment.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:47 pm 

I'm ashamed to admit that i've got the Fairy Godparents reference, if there was one :lol:

Recently i got dragged to see the new Blade Runner, and it was quite stunning. Amazing visuals, right pacing and i really loved how they used silence so effectively.. didn't expect to be so satisfied :)

MetallicaTrueFan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:16 am 

Anyone betting that All The Money In The World will bomb in December!

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:46 pm 

Tried to make it through "The Bad Batch," failed. Much as I enjoy seeing Keanu on screen, a long discussion about his providing of sewer system services was the last straw.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:35 pm 

demonomania wrote:
Tried to make it through "The Bad Batch," failed. Much as I enjoy seeing Keanu on screen, a long discussion about his providing of sewer system services was the last straw.

I was so torn while watching this. Every few minutes feels like something interesting will happen, that what's being witnessed will lead to something, but it just sorta...exists.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:44 pm 

I really liked it. Visually fantastic and super atmospheric. It had a good story about an outsider type of character and worked without having a super packed narrative - just a weird, experimental little movie.

MetallicaTrueFan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:51 pm 

Justice League was a fun ride, not a masterpiece but not a total disaster in my opinion. It was a fine comic book movie to pass the time. The first half felt boring as it felt like the characters couldn't hold their own, a lack of charisma. The second half was more fun as the characters felt more alive and had some more wit to them. It felt like two separate movies, the first half was Synder, the second half was Whedon. The action scenes were fun and the film had some unique world building. I say it was okay, not as bad as people make it out to be but not as good as it could of been. The film was an Avengers copycat as a whole with not enough wit. Fun to pass the time, not enough in the long run.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:49 pm 

jimbies wrote:
Just finished watching Linklater's "Before Trilogy" all in 24 hours. Exceptional. How Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy didn't get oscar nominations is beyond me.

I love the Before Trilogy. I think Before Midnight is highly underrated.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:09 pm 

demonomania wrote:

I considered shutting that movie off around the halfway point, but decided to stick with it. The second half was no better than the first. Anything involving the little girl didn't work for me at all, which is kind of impressive in a way. "Child in jeopardy in post-apocalyptic wasteland" should provide some stakes and something to care about, but I couldn't care even a little bit.

I can't really remember if the director's previous movie Girl Walks Home Alone at Night was merely OK or genuinely good, but it certainly didn't annoy me the way Bad Batch did.

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 pm 

anyone know any good films to make me cry in an American History X kind of visceral sorrow way?

in total honesty my threshold is kinda low and it's not hard to jerk my tears

[New release] Noosefiller - Noosefilller (Technical/Progressive Black Metal)
Q'uq'umatz (Avant-garde/progressive metal/psychedelic/noise rock)

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:14 pm 

The obvious ones might be The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile.

The Fisher King is pretty emotive too and one of my top favorite movies of all time.

willBburied
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:46 pm 

Watched Lucio Fulcis Zombie flesh eaters (AKA zombi 2)
Italy sure made the best oldschool zombie movies
great soundtrack too. Fabio Frizzi :bow:

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:42 pm 

^ I've been meaning to see some of Fulci's movies for awhile now, so much to do, yet so little time. :nono:

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:45 pm 

The Dark Tower - Knowing nothing about the books, I just approached this as a standard action / fantasy movie. On that level, it was adequate. The visuals were overall pretty good, and there was some fish-out-of-water comedy that was totally predictable, but still well executed.

The complaints I had mostly result from script problems that are hard to avoid with adaptations. For example, Matthew McConaughey is obviously the bad guy because he kills people, but his motivation has to be spelled out by the main good guy. Same with the importance of The Dark Tower itself: we're just told through dialogue how important it is. The ending felt a little rushed, as well.

This probably deserves a 5 / 10 and I'm unlikely to watch it a second time when it comes to cable, but I didn't hate it the way fans of the books seem to.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:17 pm 

StainedClass95 wrote:
^ I've been meaning to see some of Fulci's movies for awhile now, so much to do, yet so little time. :nono:

Zombi 2, Gates of Hell/City of the Living Dead, The Beyond

Check those first. Then wander to House by the Cemetery and his even worse stuff.

darkeningday wrote:

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:59 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
StainedClass95 wrote:

Check those first. Then wander to House by the Cemetery and his even worse stuff.

The Black Cat was pretty solid imo. A slasher movie in which the killer is a fucking cat is worth at least some merit.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:24 pm 

Most of Fulci's horror work is worth a view, he had a great knack for mood and a complete disregard for conventional limits when it came to gore (or even basic decency), but if you're new to him? Those three top recs are where to start. Not only are they the most accessible but also the most likely to be found physically (or at least a solid HD restoration online).

Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond is a Netflix original doc about Jim Carrey's on set antics during Man on the Moon blended with a good look into his own psyche. I was tearing up the entire time and went full on bawlfest near the end, both from how touching some stories were and a few close to home moments. Kaufman's family and friends wound up treating Jim's "Andy" as genuine, using him to bring closure to their loss, and hearing Jim express some of his own thoughts on his obvious depression (and nihilism) puts his work into an entirely new light.

8.5/10

darkeningday wrote:

StryckenFromHistory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:34 pm 

Lo Squartatore di New York is incredible degeneracy.

willBburied wrote:
Italy sure made the best oldschool zombie movies
Indeed. Best noise music too.

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:53 pm 

StryckenFromHistory wrote:
Lo Squartatore di New York is incredible degeneracy.

It goddamn is. On the occasion I'm ever in the mood for something repugnant and sleazy, that's one of my go-to choices.
Spoiler: show
The razor blade kill is incredible purely on how fucked up it is.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:11 am 

acid_bukkake wrote:
StainedClass95 wrote:

Concerning Fulci's catalog, I'd say New York Ripper can avoided, if you're looking for good horror. A guy murders women while speaking in a Donald Duck voice. It's so stupid that I don't think anyone can take it seriously. If you're looking for something to laugh at, however, it fits the bill.

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:30 am 

Watched another awesome movie on Amazon Prime called "Deadly Prey" - seems like Amazon now has a monopoly on the "shitty movies with awesome covers that no one ever rented at the local video store" market. Movie has the standard plot of guy gets abducted and hunted down by soldiers in the woods, but turns out he is super-Rambo and kills everyone. The scene where he chops off a dude's arm (no blood involved, somehow) and beats him with it is utterly fantastic. Highly recommended.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:06 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond is a Netflix original doc about Jim Carrey's on set antics during Man on the Moon blended with a good look into his own psyche. I was tearing up the entire time and went full on bawlfest near the end, both from how touching some stories were and a few close to home moments. Kaufman's family and friends wound up treating Jim's "Andy" as genuine, using him to bring closure to their loss, and hearing Jim express some of his own thoughts on his obvious depression (and nihilism) puts his work into an entirely new light.

8.5/10

I absolutely loved this.

What a crazy time that must have been for everyone. Andy Kaufman was an endlessly entertaining/interesting person and I've always loved Jim Carrey.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

StryckenFromHistory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:30 am 

demonomania wrote:
Deadly Prey
One of my favorites! What Queer Cinema should be!

I watched Pandorum last week-was pretty cool, albeit a bit of a letdown, but I don't think it'd fit in with those other movies if it wasn't!

Currently working backwards through Moore-Bond, gotta finish up The Spy Who Loved Me in between Black Books bursts.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:26 am 

Mudbound on Netflix is well worth a watch. Epic, sweeping old-Hollywood type of tale chronicling two families, one white and one black, in the 40s after WWII ended. It builds to a cinematic climax, but the real meat of the film is just in the constant, grinding minutiae of these characters' lives and the power dynamic between white and black. Some of the Hollywoodish storytelling tropes as it goes on almost eclipse that, but it's the smaller details, the ways the white family feeds into and benefits from that power structure, that really make this a great movie.

Also saw Me and Earl and the Dying Girl last week - good film as well. Super off-kilter, weird sense of humor that made it surprising and vibrant. Funny stuff - well-done characters. In the end it was slightly conventional for a young adult type of story, not as good as something like The Fault in Our Stars for example. But enjoyable and worth seeing.

Watched an hour of the Dawn of the Dead remake and turned it off. Just boring, contrived crap.

StryckenFromHistory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:05 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Watched an hour of the Dawn of the Dead remake and turned it off. Just boring, contrived crap.
This review.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:16 pm 

Are you agreeing or disagreeing? I just didn't have anything else to add about that one. Just cliche stuff I've seen before and not done particularly well.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:39 pm 

I loved the 2004 Dawn Of The Dead when it came out (when I was in high school). It was pretty generic in all the zombie tropes, but I thought it actually did it pretty well. (Granted, that was one of the first zombie flicks I ever saw.) They get a thumbs-up from me for the special effects. I watched one of the special features on the DVD about it and it was very creative how they accomplished some of the practical effects.

I watched Dirty Rotten Scoundrels with my wife the other night. That one never gets old. I didn't realize it's a remake of a 1964 film called Bedtime Story. I'd like to see that one.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:33 am 

Baby Driver reminds you that no matter how much cool you intravenously inject into your movie and no matter how trailer porny your premise is, with a flaccid, witless script and indulgent pretentious direction your movie is still going to suck tremendous amounts of butthole.

It's basically Drive: Highschool Hipster Edition. It's just painful to endure, Edgar Wright has either lost his mind or only minds his wallet these days. I've never been a fan of his best films either but they were at least entertaining. This one was like sitting through a 2 hour student film by the son of a billionaire reelestate mogul who'd given him infinite money to follow his dreams, which he conceived of by walking around campus, baked out of his mind with his dad's iPod playlist on repeat through his ear drums. Fucking rank, it's embarrassing this made it to film, much less became a box-office success.

On the happy side, Logan Lucky was a great surprise. Soderbergh is back and more Soderberghy than ever! Great flick. Wonderfully sardonic and disarmingly smart. Probably my favorite comedy this year.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:33 pm 

Watched "Seeking a Friend for the End of the World" with my girlfriend. I'd seen it before, and she likes romantic films, and it was one I felt she'd enjoy.

We laughed several times, not just from great dialog, but because of the absurd similarities in views, timing, and conversation to our thus far brief time together. I tend to really enjoy movies/shows/stories that are whimsical, fun, cynical, and sucker punch you withe emotional moments. Thankfully, we don't have an impending doomsday rock racing us toward the end, but the odd coincidental timing of meeting just the right person with such spectacular timing hit us.

Really love this movie. Steve Carell and Kiera Knightley are perfect.

The scene where Steve Carell's character angrily just bellows at a happy couple in a park was pure gold. Both of us essentially nodded and said "that was me."

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 686, 687, 688, 689, 690, 691, 692 ... 818  Next