Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:27 pm 

Frank Booth wrote:
Has Trey ever not been a weird dude? To be fair, it's nothing if not one of the more creative ways I've seen or heard someone say "we're not having this discussion".

It does make you wonder why he has an attitude like that, though...he's never been one known to just shut down a question like that.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:40 pm 

It seems clear that he realized that he made a massive mistake with Illud and would much rather forget about it, and he'd probably rather not be reminded about how that mistake almost destroyed his band and his fanbase's respect for him and would much rather move forward.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:41 pm 

As much as Trey Azagthoth is a verified cloud cuckoolander, why would you even bother with David Vincent questions after the first one flops? It just sounds like it's literally all they wanted to talk about just so they could get some Blabbermouth/MetalSucks-ready clickbait.

I got a review written for the new one a couple days ago and I went out of my way to make sure I didn't reference Illud in any way, shape, or form. The site I write for got an opportunity to interview Steve Tucker and I'm tempted to take it just so I'm the one person who's not out to ask them a bunch of gossipy crap.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:49 pm 

Trey's responses were definitely typical weird Trey shit, but the sentiment about Illud and Evil D was clear: "don't want to talk about it, stop asking". I get the sense that while he's proud of his work with Dave, he definitely regrets not having reunited with Tucker sooner.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:38 pm 

The fuck kind of an answer y'all want in regards to Illud Divinum Insanus, anyway? "I don't much care to talk about that" says loudly "hey, it was a bad idea and I regret doing it as it nearly killed the band." Not really sure how this is that difficult to grasp for some of you.

true_death wrote:
Frank Booth wrote:
Has Trey ever not been a weird dude? To be fair, it's nothing if not one of the more creative ways I've seen or heard someone say "we're not having this discussion".

It does make you wonder why he has an attitude like that, though...he's never been one known to just shut down a question like that.

Are you serious? Because Illud Divinum Insanus is a regrettably terrible album? What fucking answer were you looking for? It's like asking Dave Mustaine non-stop answers about the creation of Risk. Dude regrets it now and is passed whatever his mentality was at that time.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:11 pm 

This album rips. Beefy tone, very reminiscent of Gateways to Annihilation at times, but also a mix of Formulas kind of riffing in there. I'm generally impressed how long Trey has remained a creative force.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:48 pm 

New song for you those of you who doesn't want to download the album:

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:54 pm 

BTW that interview with Trey is hilarious, haha.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:30 pm 

"For No Master" is fucking incredible...if the rest of the album is on an equal level this could easily be album of the year...can't wait to get my copy! I ordered through Amazon, but they don't have an official shipping date yet...didn't see it on the label's website, and I don't exactly trust Earache anymore, after a couple "bad" experiences with that webstore...

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:22 am 

On my first listen and i'm loving the shit out of it. I love how lumbering and crunchy it is. The guitars sound like tumbling boulders, and I like the new drummer's grooves, he's a good fit. "For No Master" seems to me to be one of the more average, less ambitious tracks. But definitely buying this.

~Guest 417309
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:19 am 

"For No Master" is indeed a monster but it sounded to me like the guitars were too low in the mix, felt like 60% of what I heard was Tucker's voice and the drums. Hopefully that's not actually the case on the hardcopy album. But yeah fucking kickass song.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:13 am 

for no master is an ok, above average song, but I kind of agree on the low guitars. I'll be happy with a "solid" MA album after those last disappointments, but then I've already preordered the LP anyway through my go-to record store.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:17 pm 

Unlike Cannibal Corpse, it seems like Morbid Angel actually are intentionally trying to make something pedestrian and mediocre to punish their fanbase for rejecting Illud. Of course the band wants to get back into the fans' good graces so these sample songs are very technically correct in terms of being perfunctorily Morbid Angel songs, but the feeling of having been spurned must be hard to forget based on what I'm hearing. Cryptopsy did the same thing after "The Unspoken King" and Metallica has done so twice now after "St. Anger" and "Lulu". Sad to see Morbid Angel come to this.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:19 pm 

"For no master" is pretty average IMHO. Drummer is better than I expected, less annoying than Yeung but not as great as Pete The Feet. Vocals are cool. The riffs just aren't as great as they used to be IMHO. What I can glean from the lyrics strikes me as corny too.

~Guest 394415
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:25 pm 

Last edited by ~Guest 394415 on Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:55 pm 

I don't understand some people, what else were you expecting? It's generic Morbid Angel in the whole sense of the word, they are playing it safe, isn't that what fans were asking for after (or even before) IDI? well, there you go. About the new track, It's honestly not bad, as I said, it's yet another Morbid Angel track, at least it's got riffs.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:01 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Unlike Cannibal Corpse, it seems like Morbid Angel actually are intentionally trying to make something pedestrian and mediocre to punish their fanbase for rejecting Illud. Of course the band wants to get back into the fans' good graces so these sample songs are very technically correct in terms of being perfunctorily Morbid Angel songs, but the feeling of having been spurned must be hard to forget based on what I'm hearing. Cryptopsy did the same thing after "The Unspoken King" and Metallica has done so twice now after "St. Anger" and "Lulu". Sad to see Morbid Angel come to this.

I don't think a single second of this is pedestrian or mediocre. I'm loving every track I've heard. Very happy to see Morbid Angel come to this.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:14 pm 

I'm eager to give this a listen in full. Half-decent Morbid Angel is miles better than most shit.

John_Sunlight wrote:
Unlike Cannibal Corpse, it seems like Morbid Angel actually are intentionally trying to make something pedestrian and mediocre to punish their fanbase for rejecting Illud. Sad to see Morbid Angel come to this.

You have just been awarded a gold medal in mental gymnastics.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:46 pm 

It's hardly a complicated point, but I'll break it down for you if you like. The band made Illud, the fans didn't like Illud, the band was offended by that, so they made a poor quality album in the style the fans were asking for as revenge.

That's my reading, anyway.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:53 pm 

Triggered drums? I thought they learned their lesson from Illud. Guess not.

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:22 pm 

Do the same people here ragging on MA for being "safe" complain about every Incantation album for the being even more stylistically consistent within the artist's history?

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:23 pm 

No, because they don't have a reputation for doing otherwise.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:27 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
It's hardly a complicated point, but I'll break it down for you if you like. The band made Illud, the fans didn't like Illud, the band was offended by that, so they made a poor quality album in the style the fans were asking for as revenge.

I haven't heard the entire album, but assuming it does in fact suck, isn't this a more realistic explanation why:

The band, including Trey, genuinely wanted to continue in the "I" direction, but because of that album's overwhelmingly negative reception, they felt forced to make a straight death metal album even though they're not really into that style anymore. Given this lack of interest, no matter how hard they tried to make it good, it was never going to be any more than mediocre.

That sounds more reasonable to me. Making a bad album as a form of "revenge" sounds too childish and spiteful.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:08 pm 

I have never even listened to Illud so I do not have that comparison in mind. However, my first taste of the new album is that it's less than mediocre. I like the new Cannibal Corpse and the new Incantation but this is a fucking snoozefest.

Like your reviews?

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:12 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:

Why would anyone bother wasting their time making an "intentionally" crappy record? That's a laughable idea. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean others don't..

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:28 pm 

traxan wrote:

You do realize that Pete's entire kit was triggered, right?

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:04 am 

Will listen to the new album but I FEAR:
-Morbid Angel is done.
-John_Sunlight is a professional troll.

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:54 am 

Picked up today. On first listen and am enjoying it. The Righteous Voice my favourite so far.

Drumming decent.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:18 am 

mjollnir wrote:
I have never even listened to Illud so I do not have that comparison in mind.

I listen to "Too Extreme!" while I pay my bills online.

EDIT: I usually turn it off after a minute because I remember, "oh god, this song is terrible."

chugging_pus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:58 am 

Frank Booth wrote:
traxan wrote:

You do realize that Pete's entire kit was triggered, right?

In the studio at least up until Covenant, they just used a trigger on his bass drum. Not sure how it went after that because I was one of the people who felt they sold out on Domination and only got back into them when someone forced me to listen to Formulas.

Pete invented the tight blast beat that works best in death metal. Before him people were still sloppy, he schooled everyone else. You can also thank Trey and David for pushing him. I believe they played him the Hellouse demo which had drum machine blasting, and told Pete it was a real drummer. He stayed up late for weeks learning how to match the speed. They'd find him sleeping on the rehearsal room floor.

Pete was an innovator that everyone followed and was I thought only triggering the kick drum in studio.

~Guest 394415
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:19 pm 

Last edited by ~Guest 394415 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:27 pm 

Eh, this is pretty decent - so far it sounds like a new band influenced by MA, but the riffs are alright and the songs fairly enjoyable. Nothing too great and the songs sound a bit mushy and indistinct from one another, but at least better than something like Surgical Steel or whatever the fuck Deicide was doing a few years back. Nowhere even close to their first three, but then again, few bands can say so this many years into an extreme metal career.

edit: This is all just starting to sound the same. And nothing is really grabbing me as truly outstanding or great.

edit again: Done with the album. Not terrible, but not very exciting. A lot of passable mid-paced drudgery with a few cool parts in songs like "Architect and Iconoclast" and "The Pillars Crumbling" to mix things up. Good heavy metal music shouldn't make you wait that long for a cool part.

Last edited by Empyreal on Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:38 pm 

traxan wrote:

They have sounded triggered to me for a long time. Kicks especially.

FJ Receptor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:34 pm 

true_death wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:
Can we get a bandcheck on who's playing on this album? Is Tim Yeung still drumming for them, and is Pete Sandoval 100% out all the way? Figured Trey Azagthoth would've at least reached out, but I don't recall any stories.

Scott Fuller is the current drummer, Tim Yeung is playing with David Vincent in a new band called I Am Morbid, and Pete has converted to Christianity (and I mean hard - he makes Dave Mustaine look like Glen Benton). I'm pretty sure Pete has claimed he is ashamed of his past in Morbid Angel and doesn't want to reconnect with his former bandmates. And I'm not totally sure but I vividly remember reading an interview where he said he hates all metal and is 100% about Jesus now, but he's still doing Terrorizer so I'm not sure how honest that was (or maybe I'm just remembering wrong).

Pete stated in an interview that while he's converted to Christianity he's still proud of his former work and has no regrets. Not sure what you are talking about.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:11 pm 

Finished my first listen. Much better than I was expecting based on the pre-release singles. Is it a safe, solid, conventional death metal album? Sure. But, it is very well done, the riff writing is fairly excellent, and the new members fit very, very well.

Nothing really pops out as outstanding (just yet), so it is somewhat repetitive, but enjoyable nonetheless.

"Declaring New Law" has a groove/feel that is somewhat reminiscent of "Destructos Vs. The Earth", and this sticks out to me right now as the "weirdest" thing on this record.

Much better than the new Cannibal Corpse (the comparison was brought up earlier in this thread), which I found to be utterly forgettable.
Obliteration

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:35 am 

Halfway through first listen now, and it's a decent enough Tucker album. Reckon it'll be up there with Formulas in 20 years.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:41 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:

And what's really poor quality about the album? I mean the guitars are lower in the mix than I'd prefer, but it's straight no-frills Death Metal from the songs I've heard so far.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:47 am 

DEATH METAL ALBUM OF THE YEAR

HAIL SATAN!

miskatonic79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:00 am 

I’m not getting all the hate for this album. Much much better than Heretic and I won’t even mention that piece of shit after that album. Safe, streamlined, call it what you want, it’s a very solid album and a return to form for them. Oh and btw, I love the front cover artwork. Screw the haters.

why
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:38 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:

Bad reading. Illud also had some death metal songs (enough for an EP, in fact). They were not nearly as good as what's on the new album, though. So this new album is clearly an improvement made with great effort and nothing I would ever call intentionally bad in a thousand years. It's not very exciting, but not safe either, instead it weirdly sounds like a good mid-2000s Polish band inspired by Gateways era Morbid Angel. I think this sound is an attempt to distance themselves from anything related to David Vincent. It ended up being a solid Warfather record.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next