Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:32 am 

Welcome to the 20th MA Virgin Reviews Challenge!

Holy shit, we've reached 20.

This challenge is a time-honored tradition among our reviewers here. Every winter and every summer reviewers are encouraged to spend a week writing and submitting as many quality reviews as possible, with the aim to focus on albums with no reviews so far (ie. virgin albums). Every day, the reviews submitted and accepted are tallied, so that participants can see how they compare with one another and whether or not, altogether, we've been able to surpass previous challenges' totals.

This challenge will run from Monday December 4th @ 12:00AM EST to Sunday December 10th @ 11:59PM EST.

The magic number to beat is 609. That was set in May 2009. It's high but we can beat it.
The second magic number to beat is 483. That was the total from the last challenge!

The MA Reviews Challenge Rules

1. The focus is on virgin albums.
The only albums that count are those that had zero reviews prior to the challenge.

2. Every release listed on the main site is valid including singles, videos, boxed sets and so on.
However please try to refrain from mass reviewing singles for this challenge. That's lame.

3. Eligible releases have to be virgins at the beginning of the challenge.
Multiple people can review the same virgin. There’s no bonus for getting to it first, so no need to hurry – focus on quality instead.

4. Value quality over quantity!
Everyone is welcome to participate, but keep in mind that the mods won't be more lenient during the challenge.

5. The challenge abides by the default time of the site (Eastern Standard time or GMT-5).
Please ensure that you are posting your review(s) within the right time frame in order for them to count.

6. The total number of reviews written will be tallied once a day (under normal circumstances).
Derigin (myself) will kindly do the tallying as soon as possible. Please don't nag him (me).

7. Stay cordial and respectful with one another.
Don't hijack this thread with petty arguments or whining. Remember that the mods are watching (and waiting)...

8. The only reward is our eternal appreciation.
The only prize is knowing that there is an album that previously didn't get any love... that now has a review to call its own.

The MA Reviews Challenge Hall of Fame

Spoiler: show
General Challenge

May 2006: 75 reviews
November 2006: 110 reviews
February 2007: 231 reviews
July 2007: 239 reviews
December 2007: 274 reviews
May 2008: 322 reviews
November 2008: 360 reviews
May 2009: 609 reviews
November 2009: 489 reviews
June 2010: 605 reviews
December 2010: ? reviews
October 2012: 117 reviews
June 2013 (low-key): 338 reviews
December 2014: 384 reviews
June 2015: 230 reviews
December 2015: 462 reviews
June 2016: 347 reviews
December 2016: 486 reviews
June 2017: 483 reviews
December 2017: 353 reviews

Individual Challenge

May 2006: n/a
November 2006: Corimngul (9 reviews), Cianan (8), Peregrin (7)
February 2007: hells_unicorn (65 reviews), erickg13 (17), Sokaris (15)
July 2007: hells_unicorn (38 reviews), oneyoudontknow (17), CannibalCorpse (16)
December 2007: hells_unicorn (56 reviews), Mors_Gloria (15), Mungo (9)
May 2008: Noktorn (55 reviews), hells_unicorn (52), lord_ghengis (12)
November 2008: hells_unicorn (57 reviews), Perplexed_Sjel (42), caspian (41)
May 2009: hells_unicorn (93 reviews), DeathRiderDoom (89), OzzyApu (84)
November 2009: Perplexed_Sjel (95 reviews), iamntbatman (46), sushiman (36)
June 2010: OzzyApu (97 reviews), Perplexed_Sjel (91)
December 2010: n/a
October 2012: n/a
June 2013 (low-key): dystopia4 (51 reviews), iamntbatman (50), MutantClannfear (47)
December 2014: Diamhea (57 reviews), iamntbatman (53), hells_unicorn (23)
June 2015: hells_unicorn (30 reviews), Zodijackyl (28 reviews), iamntbatman (27 reviews)
December 2015: Diamhea (65 reviews), TheStormIRide (44 reviews), hells_unicorm (27 reviews)
June 2016: stainedclass2112 (45 reviews), kluseba (41 reviews), hells_unicorn (29 reviews)
December 2016: Diamhea (100 reviews), Crossover (58 reviews), dystopia4 (34 reviews)
June 2017: Zodijackyl (53 reviews), gasmask_colostomy and hells_unicorn (50 reviews), kluseba (38 reviews)
December 2017: dystopia4 (56 reviews), gasmask_colostomy (51 reviews), hells_unicorn (35 reviews)

SECRET SATAN is back, as usual.

What is SECRET SATAN? Well, if you've run out of ideas for virgins to review, want a challenge to the review challenge, or simply want to see what another person has to say about an album you hate or love, then SECRET SATAN might be something that would interest you. The gist of it is simple. People put their names forward. I randomly match those people with one another. They send each other a virgin to review. They both review one another's respective virgins for the challenge.

SECRET SATAN is opt-in. You have to put your name forward, either by mentioning it in this thread OR by sending me a PM on the forum. Once I have collected enough names, I'll notify people who their matches are at least a few days before the challenge starts. I'll notify through a forum PM. Please note, the matching is completely random, so beware that you may be matched with someone who does not share your tastes and may have you review an album outside of your comfort zone. If you CANNOT accept this then please do not put your name forward for this. Be forewarned, I will not be accepting requests to join once the challenge begins.

Once matched, you must do the following:

You will exchange with one another a virgin album for review.
You will commit to reviewing that album for the challenge.
You are required to provide a link to the album you want the other person to review.

Please keep in mind the following rules:
- It MUST be an album on this site with no reviews at the time it is shared with the other person.
- It MUST be available for FREE online and in either a QUALITY DOWNLOAD or QUALITY STREAM. It should be EASY to acquire without using third-party software.
- Ideally, please avoid sharing your own band's album. There are better avenues for promotion.
- It is best to provide a backup album for the person you're matched with just in case they have problems accessing it.

Once you receive a link to an album, please review it and submit it during the challenge. That way it will count for this challenge.

Please remember this is done in good faith. If you get an album you don't want to review, fine, but don't be a party pooper for others. And, lastly, if you have any problems with the person you're matched with, let me know. I have spare albums for review just in case it doesn't work out.

Signed up for Secret Satan (as of November 28, 2017):
CHAIRTHROWER
Derigin
DwightSchrute
dystopia4
Lich Coldheart
MutantClannfear
raspberrysoda
tahu157
TheStormIRide
TheWaltzer
tomcat_ha

Have fun! Looking forward to your participation!

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:42 am 

I am Napero, and I've approved this message.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:28 pm 

I'll be participating again, currently scouring both my collection and Spotify for untapped auditory wealth. All the best to every participant, let's have a good, clean fight. :np:
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:17 pm 

Sign me up for Secret Satan. I won't get a bunch done this time around but I'll be good at least for that.

PorcupineOfDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:27 pm 

Dammit, that's the week my exams start :/ I'll try and get a couple done when I'm not panic-cramming, but I think Secret Satan is a no-go.

TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:41 am 

I'll chip in with a few reviews this time, and sign me up for Secret Satan as well. Had fun last year.
"Of Terror and the Supernatural by Temple of Void is miles ahead of It's midnight in Neverland and I can't get my dick out of this unicorn; Volume 8 by Nightwish in both the amount of heaviness and lack of keyboards."

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:50 am 

hells_unicorn wrote:
I'll be participating again, currently scouring both my collection and Spotify for untapped auditory wealth. All the best to every participant, let's have a good, clean fight. :np:

Me against you would be a good matchup but i dunno... Im not really prepared this time. Will certainly do a few, or might change my mind last minute and do 100 again. Guess youll all find out on the first day...
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:13 am 

I'll sign up for the Secret Satan. I've got a really busy schedule nowadays and I probably won't review anything else but the last Secret Satan put me completely out of my comfort zone so I'm gonna do it again just for the sheer difficulty, unpredictability and the challenge that it might pose.
I like keeping my sword wet, like a young girl in her prime.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:22 am 

Diamhea wrote:
hells_unicorn wrote:

Me against you would be a good matchup but i dunno... Im not really prepared this time. Will certainly do a few, or might change my mind last minute and do 100 again. Guess youll all find out on the first day...

lol If you do another 100 you'll definitely take the number one slot again, the closest I got to that was 93, and that was before the single-cap was initiated. I generally start to feel burned out after doing 50-60 reviews and have never really gotten far past that since 2012. All the same, it would be nice to crack that old 609 cumulative record.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:26 pm 

Sign me up for that secret satan.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:11 am 

sign me up for secret satan, maybe ill pull it off this time maybe i wont but im willing to give it a shot again.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:51 pm 

Lich Coldheart wrote:
I'll sign up for the Secret Satan. I've got a really busy schedule nowadays and I probably won't review anything else but the last Secret Satan put me completely out of my comfort zone so I'm gonna do it again just for the sheer difficulty, unpredictability and the challenge that it might pose.

Hehehe this makes me want to do it again, 'cause I know Oxbow have another unreviewed album on the site. However, I don't think I really have the time (and I keep causing people all kinds of trouble with sending me the album and whatnot) so I won't do Secret Satan.

On the other hand, I'm gladdened to see this is on a five-day week for me (not fucking six-day) so I should be able to write more than two reviews. Bring on the challenge!

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:52 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Lich Coldheart wrote:

Hehehe this makes me want to do it again, 'cause I know Oxbow have another unreviewed album on the site. However, I don't think I really have the time (and I keep causing people all kinds of trouble with sending me the album and whatnot) so I won't do Secret Satan.

On the other hand, I'm gladdened to see this is on a five-day week for me (not fucking six-day) so I should be able to write more than two reviews. Bring on the challenge!

As already stated, I have nothing against tackling difficult albums but if I have to review another Oxbow release I swear I'm gonna shit a brick. :|

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:59 am 

Lich Coldheart wrote:
As already stated, I have nothing against tackling difficult albums but if I have to review another Oxbow release I swear I'm gonna shit a brick. :|

Maybe I'll do one this time to take the heat off :-P

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:21 pm 

I want in on this Secret Satan shniznax dang nabbit!

Chairbear (coy snuggly emoji insert here).

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:21 am 

By the way, I recommend releasing the news on the home page earlier this time, because a lot of people don't come to the review forum to check this out. I missed the beginning of several challenges like that.

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:33 am 

I've been wondering, couldn't the Secret Satan matching be done a few more days prior to the challenge? This way we'd have more time to get into the album chosen by our partner and we'd be able to describe and assess it better. Also, I do agree with what gasmask stated above; the challenge would attract more people if it were announced earlier on the main site.

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:15 pm 

I'm in for the challenge and for Secret Satan as well. I've felt this weird urge to write lately but there was no inspiration to do that... maybe that could help. I don't know whether I could contribute as much as I'd like to because the week of the challenge is quite insane for me

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

BastardHead wrote:
Somebody is getting murdered but poor razz just wants his beauty sleep.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:07 pm 

Lich Coldheart wrote:
I've been wondering, couldn't the Secret Satan matching be done a few more days prior to the challenge? This way we'd have more time to get into the album chosen by our partner and we'd be able to describe and assess it better. Also, I do agree with what gasmask stated above; the challenge would attract more people if it were announced earlier on the main site.

I have a feeling people would start early if we announced on the main page too early. Most of us who visit this thread know that reviews should be done the week of the challenge, but I feel like people would be stockpiling some to get ahead.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:17 am 

TheStormIRide wrote:
I have a feeling people would start early if we announced on the main page too early. Most of us who visit this thread know that reviews should be done the week of the challenge, but I feel like people would be stockpiling some to get ahead.

Then it should be made clear that the reviews should be written during that week, that's how we learned the rule. Besides, even if there is some stockpiling done, it's still for the good of the site if more virgins are reviewed, since that's the purpose of the challenge.

If you're worried about stockpiling affecting the highest scorers of the challenge, I'm pretty confident that there aren't any noobs who only read the homepage who are capable of submitting more than 50 acceptable reviews in seven days, with or without prior preparation. I've been listening to new music for two weeks already (writing a few scattered notes for memory), which is an advantage that everyone can gain from, since I'll be more informed about the albums I'm reviewing.

~Guest 417011
Not a Mistress

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:17 am 

If I'm eligible, could I give this a go? Sign me for SS, please!

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:05 pm 

I'm down for Secret Satan.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:49 pm 

I'll send out Secret Satan matches tomorrow.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

BRobot
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:25 am 

Can I participate now?
If I can, please sign me.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:21 am 

So it begins, and it looks like gasmask_colostomy ended up drawing first blood. I've got several reviews in the works, but I'm going to wait until the late morning to start posting my virgin sacrifices.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

Cat III
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:53 am 

I decided to join the festivities and submitted my first review. It's for All Hell's The Grave Alchemist. Months ago I told the bass player (and MA regular) that I was going to post a review, but obviously things got delayed, so I'm lucky it remains a virgin album.

Who knows, maybe I'll work up the energy to review a few others before the challenge is over.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:41 pm 

the tea is ready, bought some cake and i just submitted my 2nd review. The start is always the easiest.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:23 pm 

Pulled an all-nighter and managed to chalk up the rest of Stormwind's discography, which I had collecting dust in my CD collection for the better part of 12 years, save the debut album which I only managed to procure a copy of via a random fluke within the last month (finding a physical copy of that thing is virtually impossible given how obscure it was to begin with, and I ended up sparing no expense), hence what inspired me to finally finish what I'd been considering doing since 2009. lol
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

~Guest 417011
Not a Mistress

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:55 pm 

I'm so confused/impressed/all of the above. I submitted three reviews, went to make a Coffee, came back and they were all approved. :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:52 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER, you nailed that Lady Beast review, and share a lot of the same sentiments. It's good, actually quite damn good, but it doesn't seem to have the complete package that the previous material had. Look forward to seeing if you cover any of those locals I sent your way. Don't worry, my SS choice is incoming sometime soon.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:17 pm 

and that was day 1, dont know yet what in what order im going to review the rest of my list but ill see where my mood takes me.

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:44 am 

Thanks Stormride...I had fun with that one! (Ah, memories...);

SS review under my radar, should do 'er tomorrow or day after;

p.s. loved your Midnight Of Death & Ecstasy review...Have been a huge Boulder fan for as long as I can remember and am now fully revelling in having discovered J Walters' latest project thanks to you!

ChaiRs

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:49 am 

Daily Tally for December 4th 2017
Total Reviews: 62 / 62
Total Virgin Reviews: 61 / 61
Percentage (VIRGINS/TOTAL): 98.4%

Participant List for December 4th 2017
Total Participants: 22 / 22
Today's Totals per Individual:
AddWittyUsername = 1
Blizzard Beast = 1
Cat III = 1
CHAIRTHROWER = 4
DwightSchrute = 10
dystopia4 = 3
Five_Nails = 2
flexodus = 1
Freyawolf = 1
gasmask_colostomy = 8
hells_unicorn = 10
Jophelerx = 1
Liquid_Braino = 1
LycanthropeMoon = 1
Metal4Blood = 1
Napero = 2
NausikaDalazBlindaz = 1
Tanuki = 1
televiper11 = 2
TheStormIRide = 3
TheWaltzer = 3
tomcat_ha = 3

Compared to the start of the last two challenges, are numbers are down slightly. But, there's still lots of time. Keep up the great work! :D

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:36 am 

Daily Tally for December 5th 2017
Total Reviews: 58 / 120
Total Virgin Reviews: 52 / 113
Percentage (VIRGINS/TOTAL): 89.7% / 94.2%

Participant List for December 5th 2017
Total Participants: 23 / 32
autothrall = 1
backtonorth = 1
CHAIRTHROWER = 1
Detestor2796 = 1
dismember_marcin = 2
DwightSchrute = 5
dystopia4 = 6
EvinJelin = 1
felix headbanger = 2
flexodus = 1
gasmask_colostomy = 10
hells_unicorn = 4
Liquid_Braino = 1
Napero = 1
Spider_X = 1
T_HORROR = 1
tahu157 = 1
Tanuki = 1
televiper11 = 3
TheStormIRide = 3
TheWaltzer = 3
tomcat_ha = 1
Wilytank = 1

Did not participate this day:
AddWittyUsername
Blizzard Beast
Cat III
Five_Nails
Freyawolf
Jophelerx
LycanthropeMoon
Metal4Blood
NausikaDalazBlindaz

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:28 pm 

Daily Tally for December 6th 2017
Total Reviews: 51 / 171
Total Virgin Reviews: 45 / 158
Percentage (VIRGINS/TOTAL): 88.2% / 92.4%

Participant List for December 6th 2017
Total Participants: 21 / 39
CHAIRTHROWER = 3
Diamhea = 1
DwightSchrute = 3
dystopia4 = 7
Felix 1666 = 1
felix headbanger = 1
flexodus = 1
gasmask_colostomy = 5
hells_unicorn = 3
Jophelerx = 2
kluseba = 1
Liquid_Braino = 1
raspberrysoda = 1
SweetLeaf95 = 1
Tanuki = 1
televiper11 = 4
The Crazy Old School Music Fan = 1
TheStormIRide = 2
TheWaltzer = 3
tomcat_ha = 1
Twisted_Psychology = 2

Did not participate this day:
AddWittyUsername
autothrall
backtonorth
Blizzard Beast
Cat III
Detestor2796
dismember_marcin
EvinJelin
Five_Nails
Freyawolf
LycanthropeMoon
Metal4Blood
Napero
NausikaDalazBlindaz
Spider_X
T_HORROR
tahu157
Wilytank

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:35 pm 

A little low on the showing so far, myself included, but I only set a one review a day goal for myself. Great to see the Fyre review for Secret Satan (number two) from CHAIRTHROWER. Lots of good reads all around, actually, so keep up the good work everyone.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:50 pm 

Yeah, I was all set to try and get at least 8 reviews a day, then on Tuesday my schedule took a shit on me and I was only able to write reviews during the late evening between 8:30 PM and midnight. I might be able to catch up during the weekend, but I don't see myself doing much more than what I pulled off last challenge. It seems like the number of total participants is down a bit. Was hoping to square off against Diamhea but I guess he's too busy, maybe next time.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:50 pm 

I think after this challenge is over, I'll put up a poll for picking a preferred week for the next challenge in June.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:03 pm 

This looks to be maybe my personal best for a challenge, with 7 so far and 3+ days left to go. Not that that's anywhere near the bests of other folks around here, but I'm having fun with it. The fact that two bands immediately posted links to my reviews on their facebooks pages and sent me thank you's has helped motivate me a bit more than usual. :)

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:33 pm 

my goal is always at least 1 a day and i've been managing that so far. I do not see myself ever beating my streak in december 2014 when i managed to churn out 22 reviews.

Also Derigin leave the poll for a couple months, people still have to out figure their summer plans. I suggest putting it up in april or something.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next