Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Lord Tempestuous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:22 pm 

Like early Burzum, De Mysteriis, Transilvanian Hunger etc..

servantdagon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:21 pm 

Depending on which Burzum album you’re referring to, you’d only need a shitty stereo for an amp.

In all reality, I’m curious about the same thing for my potential music projects.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:22 am 

GIbson Les Paul into an Ibanez Tubescreamer into a JCM800 is what Euronymous used. Lots of mids and treble in the tone. And make sure you have a good bass sound. Work from there and you should get something along the lines of what you want.

RichardDeBenthall
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:03 am 

You wont need much mate tbh haha. Any guitar with humbuckers going through a modern day amplifier should be enough.

You'll want to boost your treble and mids and probably whack a fair amount of reverb on it too. Obviously there are tonal variations but thats about all you need. I'd have the gain fairly high too but not so high that you cant hear the individual notes/strings ringing clearly through while your playing. A big thing about Black Metal guitar playing is a lack of palm muting, use of minor chords and tremolo picking.

Practice that at high speeds as well as some spooky arpeggios and you'll be right there.

Good tabs to get a grip on the style (IMO) would be:

Freezing Moon by Mayhem
In The Shadow Of The Horns by Darkthrone
Key To The Gate by Burzum
A Fine Day To Die by Bathory

Sorry if any of that is a bit obvious. I'm not sure of your skill level!

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:14 am 

A Peavey Bandit or a Marshal might be able to give you the tone you want. As lofi as people talk about those albums, the hardware played on was still able to give the tone a deep mid that you wouldn't quite get with a 15w spider. If you had the right filter on your mic you could get away with a Honeytone pocket amp honestly, I've gotten some excellent black metal tones from it, but your tremolo picking has to be spot on or the choppiness will really stick out, but doing a song like Dunkelheit would be perfect on a Honeytone.

Black/Doom label and distro(all metal genres)
http://www.temptationsofresonance.com

Lord Tempestuous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:57 pm 

Thanks guys! Peavey vyper has a killer sound, its what I am using now along with an Epiphone(no idea what model, it simply says "special')

I love the sound on the first four albums and for some of my demo's I would love to emulate that to a degree.

Reply to topic