Septicflesh
Sepultura
Sonata Arctica

Pretty extreme lineup so far.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:45 am 

Anyone here gone on this?
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:03 pm 

I went on the second one and it was incredible. Definitely going to go on this one as well since the lineup is already so stacked (and they still have 43 bands left to announce!). You literally just drink and listen to metal and hang out in pools and hot tubs with other metal heads and the bands themselves for four days straight. Bands play from 10am-4am. It's insanity and one of the most joyous experiences I've ever had. Made friends for life and there was a smile on my face the entire time. Food is free, but you'll probably spend $500 on booze.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:27 pm 

I've been toying with going on one of these. I'll have to see what the rest of the lineup is like but I'm sure tickets go fast.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:09 pm 

Went on the first two and they were pretty wild. Lotsa fun and a pretty good mix of bands. First year was especially cool and exciting. I can't be bothered anymore though--too expensive, not enough bands I care for (too many repeats) and too many punishers on broad.
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:24 pm 

My gf and I are going this time. I need to see Necrophobic and I'd like to see Enslaved again. Plus a cruise would be hella fun.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:47 pm 

I would love to go on this cruise one day. One day....

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:56 pm 

I never understood the appeal behind this. IMO I wouldn't go. I despise cruise ships from the bottom of my heart, as they keep stuffing the coast of my country with pollution and do nothing but make the rich richer. I'll enjoy my live metal less obnoxiously, thank you.

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:41 am 

I've gone three times and loved every time. Probably the most fun I've ever had at a live music event. During at-sea days concerts go from 10 am to 6 am. There's nothing like headbanging to Dying Fetus while they tear it up on a the pool deck of a cruise ship at 3:30 in the morning. You also can't walk twenty feet without coming across a bar or stand selling alcohol. It's just a great experience all around - you're always within walking distance of your room, band members are walking around everywhere, there's always a show going on, and good food is aplenty. If you want to just chill and sunbathe on the deck of the ship, you can do that too.

The only downside is that usually by day 4 I'm so exhausted from staying up so late and partying that it's always a struggle to get through the last day. But that's more of an issue with me not being able to pace myself.

For anyone interested here is an in-depth writeup I did of my last trip onboard:

https://www.angrymetalguy.com/70000-ton ... s-journey/

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:18 am 

I'm not sure if it'd be worth it - it's a fucking expensive gig, and if I went on a cruise I'd want it to be a couple of weeks, not 4 days. Nothing against either gigs or cruises, just maybe not both together.
That being said, Necrophobic!! *Ned Flanders squeal*

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:41 am 

>Aeternam
Ayyy, nice!

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:57 am 

metalheads, cocktails and pools :D :D

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:37 pm 

fuck i would love to go to this someday, but the ticket price and having to fly across the country would suck. at that point it'd probably make more sense to just go to europe lol.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:26 am 

What are they charging now? I remember when it launched the fee was $666, which was corny but funny at the same time.

Necrobiotik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:12 pm 

:-D Imagine the price....

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:32 pm 

Weird mix of bands. Is there any theme to the selections besides being metal?

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:13 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Weird mix of bands. Is there any theme to the selections besides being metal?

Nah not really. The first had more heavy/power metal bands and a good selection of 80's bands because I think they were trying to market towards the 40+ crowd who can actually afford to do something on a cruise ship. So at this point the only themes are "metal band" and "friends of the promoter".
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:10 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
I went on the second one and it was incredible. Definitely going to go on this one as well since the lineup is already so stacked (and they still have 43 bands left to announce!). You literally just drink and listen to metal and hang out in pools and hot tubs with other metal heads and the bands themselves for four days straight. Bands play from 10am-4am. It's insanity and one of the most joyous experiences I've ever had. Made friends for life and there was a smile on my face the entire time. Food is free, but you'll probably spend $500 on booze.

This is a pretty good sell.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:38 pm 

I unfortunately will not be making it, but on a side note it is good to see Cannibal Corpse playing. They've been quiet a little while now so hopefully that means a new album by then

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:13 pm 

Turner wrote:
I'm not sure if it'd be worth it - it's a fucking expensive gig

60 bands each playing two sets = 120 gigs. I'm estimating it will cost me around $1,800 all things considered, and while that's definitely not cheap it is definitely worth it.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:10 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
Turner wrote:

60 bands each playing two sets = 120 gigs. I'm estimating it will cost me around $1,800 all things considered, and while that's definitely not cheap it is definitely worth it.

It's expensive. Remember that for Turner and I living in Australia, we have to fly to Florida and worry about conversion. It'd be closer to $3,000 for us.

Still, though, you had a great time when you went. Plus free food and hot tubs sound amazing. I want to go.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:01 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
Turner wrote:

60 bands is ridiculous overkill. Cut it to 40. Save money and make more room for fans.

ratedgdr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:48 am 

I'm too fucking broke for this. A shame, too, since I want to see fuckin' Goatwhore and Septicflesh. That alone would have been worth it.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:55 pm 

Meh, Goatwhore and Septicflesh tour very often so I'm sure you'll see them soon. Save your jealousy for when they start adding bands that don't tour the US - last year they had Kalmah, Angra, Equilibrium, Manegarm, Orden Ogan, and Moonsorrow :-D

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:19 pm 

Well, shit. All the moderately-priced rooms are already gone and the public sale isn't even live yet. Kinda bullshit that it's just the same people that get the cheapest rooms year after year. Hopefully they open some more up, otherwise I won't be able to go.

herrieman72
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:18 am 

We went with the five of us in 2014, was a blast [see http://www.mruforums.com/f22/70-000-ton ... 4-a-15839/ / never mind the links to pictures, they're all broken]. By the time everybody did say yes and was eager enough to pay, cabins cost € 1200 per person. Add flights of some € 700, hotel in Miami, gig of Amon Amarth in Ft. Lauderdale (incl. car rent), a pile of T shirts and a man with a sign 'To be paid for by H.C. van Kmapen' [he's Tom, I'm van Kmapen, Tom still didn't have a credit card by that time, I was De Sjaak :) ] meant we had a bill of $ 1,546.73 on Friday. We stayed in Miami for three more days, the entire trip came to some € 4,500 - 5,000 each.

I don't think I will return, but never say never. It was a blast, just because there's no back stage and everybody, bands, technicians, fans, bookers, press, swirls about. It was great to see Bill Steer, Jeff Walker and John Tardy go insane when Raven played. I literally had breakfast with Overkill, had beers with Obituary, was surprised by Fear Factory and Terrorizer... made friends for life there.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:53 pm 

When the presale first sold out their customer support told me more rooms would open up. Now the way they're responding to facebook comments sounds like that's not gonna happen and what's listed on the website is all that's left - and they haven't even announced the public sale. I have two friends who wanna come with but we'll be forced to get individual bookings which means $1,300 a ticket and staying in rooms with a bunch of randos. I'm still very much considering it though, as my Psycho Vegas experience helped remind me how much I love this kind of event. It's as much about the camaraderie and hanging out and meeting awesome people as it is seeing the bands in an awesome location, and at the end of the day it's not a massive financial burden so I might as well.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:31 pm 

Fuck it, bought my ticket. And my buddies were able to too before everything else sold out. Cannot fucking wait to be on a boat with Enslaved. The new announcements are good ones as well: Metal Church, Swallow The Sun, Benediction, Wolfchant. And they still have 35 bands to announce, holy shit I am so excited.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:00 pm 

Can't believe how fast those cheap tickets went.

I had no idea there was this much demand for this cruise.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:13 am 

And this is even after upgrading to a larger boat which holds thousands more than the first few years. There's a reason people come back year after year, it's something really special.

Tergenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:12 am 

I am not going,but seems quite the responses it will be a sold out experience.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:36 pm 

Latest batch of announcements included Benighted, Freedom Call, Aborted, Sabaton, Witchery, Masterplan, and Primal Fear. Holy hell I am giddy.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:37 pm 

Fuck.

I see Threshold were added.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:35 am 

Also Exhumed, Naglfar, Exciter, Battle Beast, Sinister, Sirenia, Voivod, Beyond Creation. And there are still 15 bands left to announce :)

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:25 pm 

Newest batch: Destruction, Triosphere, Leaves Eyes, In Mourning, Metsatoll, Witherfall, Evertale. Two weeks until the greatest musical experience of my life.

Reply to topic