Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Electric Death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:42 pm 

Any other fans of Death Grips here? I'm still waiting for news for their new album ever since they were retweeting people about them being online. I figure that their blend of noise, industrial, and hip hop would fit in with other extreme music so I would find people who love the band here too.

I know this is a bit of a cliche but my favourite album by them so far is the Money Store but what intrigues me the most about them is Ex-Military. It's the noisiest and most challenging material they have.

MC Ride listens to black and death metal too. So I'm pretty sure the overlap goes to this side of the spectrum.

For those not in the know, they're touring with Ministry. The perfect blend of industrial metal and industrial hip hop.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:59 pm 

Death Grips are cool. If I'm able to I'm going to try and catch them in Dallas.

talidatio
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:49 pm 

Yeah, I like them. But I really love Exmilitary though. While I do like the rest of their discography, something about Exmilitary makes it my favorite of theirs.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:59 pm 

I should delve deeper into their works. Only listened to their latest album so far and I love it.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:47 pm 

Death Grips are rad and one of the few super hyped groups online that I think live up to it.

Electric Death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:09 pm 

Glad to see other people in this circle liking Death Grips. I can see why metalheads prefer Exmilitary more. It's the most abrasive album by them.

Also fans of Death Grips should check out this other industrial hip hop act, Ho9909. They're equally abrasive and at times sound like the hip hop equivalent of Godflesh. They are heavily influenced by hardcore punk and have songs that are straight up Black Flag/Bad Brains worship with rap verses and industrial overtones.

TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:40 am 

This might be a good thread to ask something. I heard them for the first time only recently and I like their stuff. I was even tempted to go see them in Vienna some time ago, but the concert first sold out and then was cancelled. A friend of mine told me that this is kinda what Death Grips do sometimes - that they sometimes fuck over their touring/fanbase commitments. Is that true or was my friend just blowing it out of proportion?
"Of Terror and the Supernatural by Temple of Void is miles ahead of It's midnight in Neverland and I can't get my dick out of this unicorn; Volume 8 by Nightwish in both the amount of heaviness and lack of keyboards."

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:02 pm 

They are known for being slightly alienating to their fans. Pretty sure they were supposed to tour with NIN at one point and dropped out last minute. It's kind of their schtick.

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:27 pm 

PvtNinjer wrote:
They are known for being slightly alienating to their fans. Pretty sure they were supposed to tour with NIN at one point and dropped out last minute. It's kind of their schtick.

Yeah, I saw that tour and was bummed I had to sit through 30 minutes of Cold Cave instead.

Last FM

Wedge_Antilles
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:22 pm 

One of my favorite local groups. Should really go to one of their shows.

maZe2110
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:05 am 

Death Grips are insanely appealing. I like all of their stuff but to be honest what really put them on my list of favourite bands was watching them live in Porto. They are even more abrasive and aggressive (and the electronic side of their music is more pronounced and chaotic) and they seem to just not give a fuck about anything, which really adds to the appeal. Some nice moshing on that gig also.

Electric Death wrote:
Also fans of Death Grips should check out this other industrial hip hop act, Ho9909. They're equally abrasive and at times sound like the hip hop equivalent of Godflesh. They are heavily influenced by hardcore punk and have songs that are straight up Black Flag/Bad Brains worship with rap verses and industrial overtones.

I just recently discovered them and yes, they share some smiliarities with Death Grips. From the few samples I heard, I'd say they're less cryptic in their sound overall, even incorporating some punk-ish riffs here and there.

latorami
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:58 pm 

pretty good band ruined by meme culture tbh

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:43 pm 

Culture is one giant meme.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:32 pm 

latorami wrote:

Fantano's cancerous following had a huge part in that, I reckon. The band itself doesn't seem to give much of a fuck, however.

I love how they have these weird hooks amidst the noisy industrial stuff, really enjoy the gruff delivery as well. I remember really liking Exmilitary despite my initial "eww hiphop" reaction.

MC Ride turned me onto Revenge & all that insane war metal shit so there's that too.

capeda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:12 pm 

The fact that MC Anyone is wearing a Revenge shirt kinda makes me want to check them out.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:02 pm 

I feel like Death Grips was one of those acts where you had the OGs who were into them a few years before everybody else, then they reached this weird critical internet mass of people who were really into them and their "counter-culture" style, and then they just dropped the fuck off the face of the Earf without a trace.

Electric Death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:24 pm 

capeda wrote:
The fact that MC Anyone is wearing a Revenge shirt kinda makes me want to check them out.

You should check out Bottomless Pit. That's where Death Grips wears their influences on their sleeves. I never knew blast beats would go well with somebody dropping lines on top of it.

Speaking about Industrial Hip Hop, I just discovered another artist with the same intensity as Grips, Moor Mother. It's so catchy and noisy at the same time.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:35 am 

adAvlis wrote:
Electric Death wrote:

I just recently discovered them and yes, they share some smiliarities with Death Grips. From the few samples I heard, I'd say they're less cryptic in their sound overall, even incorporating some punk-ish riffs here and there.

Dälek is also worth checking out if you like your rap subversive, avant-garde, drenched in noise and industrial.

I like Death Grips in small doses. I find MC Ride's delivery and style a bit grating after awhile, sometimes coming off as one-dimensional (especially on Exmilitary). Strangely enough, I find them to be at their best when they're being more catchy than noisy ("I've seen footage").

Electric Death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:03 pm 

ThePoop wrote:
Dälek is also worth checking out if you like your rap subversive, avant-garde, drenched in noise and industrial.

I like Death Grips in small doses. I find MC Ride's delivery and style a bit grating after awhile, sometimes coming off as one-dimensional (especially on Exmilitary). Strangely enough, I find them to be at their best when they're being more catchy than noisy ("I've seen footage").

Have you tried Bottomless Pit? I think it's their most diverse album yet. It balances their noisy industrial stuff and their ear-catching hooks. Dalek's amazing but if I were to make a comparison to metal, Death Grips is the bestial brand of black metal while Dalek is blackgaze, with all their shoegazey influence. Now, I'm not saying that the genres sound alike to the respective groups, but how they approach things.

Btw are you a fan of clipping.? Their new single The Deep is, again to make a metal comparison here in terms of spirit but not sonically would be towards prog metal bands like Opeth. The tempo changes, the long drawn out song, just made me think this is industrial hip hop's equivalent of metal's prog and avant garde phase.

Collarbones
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:15 pm 

I just wish they'd do an entire album with zach hill's drumming on it instead of the programmed ones

Sathanas_BM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 4:45 am 

Collarbones wrote:
I just wish they'd do an entire album with zach hill's drumming on it instead of the programmed ones

That’d be great. I love Zach Hill’s drumming with Hella (if anyone’s reading this and hasn’t heard of Zach Hill’s previous band Hella, do yourself a favor and listen to the song Biblical Violence). He really is one of the most raw and chaotic drummers out there, so it’s a shame that kind of gets toned down with Death Grips. Though there are moments where you can hear hints of his greatness, albeit as you said usually on programmed kit or generally kind of obscured, like on “Spikes” or “The Fever”. I really like their whole live set up though with Zach playing an acoustic kit over their tracks, really gives them this jammy sort of vibe, and really helps stir up some of that punk-like energy. The few moments where a genuine acoustic kit shows up on one of their tracks is always a treat though, like on “On GP”.

thepoopsmithmaster wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:
Are you that dense?
Define dense.

Sathanas_BM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 5:02 am 

IamDBR wrote:
latorami wrote:

Fantano's cancerous following had a huge part in that, I reckon. The band itself doesn't seem to give much of a fuck, however.

I love how they have these weird hooks amidst the noisy industrial stuff, really enjoy the gruff delivery as well. I remember really liking Exmilitary despite my initial "eww hiphop" reaction.

MC Ride turned me onto Revenge & all that insane war metal shit so there's that too.

Fantano turned me on to a lot of great stuff in the early 2010’s, especially when it comes to rap, so I can’t completely dislike the dude. Hell, I found Death Grips through him during the Exmilitary days. But he’s definitely degraded the greatness of certain artists in a way. Not that the actual music is lessened in any sort of way of course. Take Swans for example, who may even get it worse than Death Grips. Swans is genuinely an amazing band, but I feel like you can’t even mention you’re a fan of them without people rolling their eyes, assuming you just like them because Fantano gave them a 10. And I have a feeling Daughters is going to get that same treatment. But I don’t know how much I’d put that on the shoulders of Fantano himself so much as his fans. It really is that meme culture thing (that Death Grips Facebook group was absolute cancer before I left a few years back). I feel like especially in the case of Death Grips, a lot of supposed fans of theirs don’t truly listen to it out of a place of genuine love for the music so much as they like it because “OMG this is sooooo weird and zany and rapper man is yelling hahahaha why is he so angry what is he even saying lolol”. Which is a shame, because Death Grips has probably done more than any artist in terms of pushing rap as a genre forward. But that’s probably pretty presumptuous and gatekeeper-ish of me to assume that there are fans who aren’t “true” fans. Just the vibe I get.

thepoopsmithmaster wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:
Are you that dense?
Define dense.

Chinese_Whispers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 6:58 am 

Sathanas_BM wrote:
But he’s definitely degraded the greatness of certain artists in a way. Not that the actual music is lessened in any sort of way of course. Take Swans for example, who may even get it worse than Death Grips. Swans is genuinely an amazing band, but I feel like you can’t even mention you’re a fan of them without people rolling their eyes, assuming you just like them because Fantano gave them a 10. And I have a feeling Daughters is going to get that same treatment. But I don’t know how much I’d put that on the shoulders of Fantano himself so much as his fans. It really is that meme culture thing (that Death Grips Facebook group was absolute cancer before I left a few years back). I feel like especially in the case of Death Grips, a lot of supposed fans of theirs don’t truly listen to it out of a place of genuine love for the music so much as they like it because “OMG this is sooooo weird and zany and rapper man is yelling hahahaha why is he so angry what is he even saying lolol”. Which is a shame, because Death Grips has probably done more than any artist in terms of pushing rap as a genre forward. But that’s probably pretty presumptuous and gatekeeper-ish of me to assume that there are fans who aren’t “true” fans. Just the vibe I get.

I understand where you’re coming from. This is maybe a bit adjacent to the Spotify thread, and will probably make me look a bit ‘old man yelling at clouds’, but I feel like with the almost unlimited access these days, and the short attention span/lack of time causes some people to take some of these more prolific/in-the-spotlight reviewers/critics opinions as a consensus, rather than it being just one persons point of view, especially in more popular musical genre (I don’t see too much of that in the metal sphere - actually it can be quite the opposite). It’s a stamp of approval, and when you don’t have the time to let something sit or sink in to form a more nuanced view, it’s easy to follow.

Not saying that it is a particularly new development, because it certainly happened back in magazines, it just feels like it’s more common now and widespread with the internet. People also seem so quick to anoint the New Canon as well. I guess it just feels less organic to me than before. /old man rant

vindfukk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 4:11 pm 

mc ride before the Grips was an average rapper. hell, he could not see the light of day if he had continued along that trajectory the Grips turned him into a lyric sheet generator.

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:27 am 

Year Of The Snitch is a fuckin' ACE album, in my opinion seconded by No Love Deep Web. I love how they've been able to incorporate the underground street fashion aesthetic into their shit.
Imagine getting pounded on the side of the head with a rather average-sized brick approximately four times a second for a half-hour while a vacuum cleaner is turned to maximum volume in the background. That's Marduk for ya.

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:45 pm 

gestapothrash wrote:
Year Of The Snitch is a fuckin' ACE album, in my opinion seconded by No Love Deep Web. I love how they've been able to incorporate the underground street fashion aesthetic into their shit.

I'd say Bottomless Pit is better than YOTS with its more hardcore sound and Ride's more aggressive voice.

Reply to topic