Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Gene Chode
Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:37 am 

I'm a pretty big fan of Razor's old material and I'm kind of disappointed that I've never been to any of their shows , but after watching clips like this one ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dIKKP6a1Pk ) I'm not exactly sure I'd want to go to one of their shows .

Has anyone been to a Razor show recently ? Do they play similar to the clip linked above ?

The_Minstrel51
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:44 am 

I've seen them a couple of times in the last 2-3 years. Great shows IMO.
Never saw them back in the day, so I can't compare to their old shows.

Definitely worth going to see. They seem to play a nice, varied setlist.

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:20 am 

It's a real damn shame there's not nearly enough live footage of the Sheepdog days specifically around the Violent Restitution era, or even the Evil Invaders/Malicious Intent era on Youtube.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:26 am 

I've seen them at Wings of Metal some years ago and it was one of my most violent pits I've seen. Their guitar tone was insane too.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:00 am 

I don't see what's wrong with the clip in the OP. Perhaps it's a bit sloppy, but I've never seen any band nail every single song perfectly. I even witnessed Downing and Tipton fuck up the intro to Breaking the Law. That's just the nature of live shows.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:09 am 

They seem to be in pretty good line condition based on OP's video. The intro seems to be sloppy, but that kind of parts can be difficult to nail on stage. The monitoring isn't always very good, and if the drummer can't hear the guitarist really well, it can be hard for the drummer to nail parts where the guitarist is keeping time.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:36 am 

They were real good at Modified Ghost festival in June. They took requests which I thought was cool. Although my memory of the show might be coloured by how rowdy and intense the crowd response was.
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:26 pm 

They seem fine in the video OP, maybe could use a little energy but the performances aren't horrible. I saw them live back in, must have been 08 or 09, and it was awesome. Of course they are a bit older now, but based on the video, if you like their music I think it'd be worth it.

MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:13 pm 

I saw them back in 2015, and they absolutely slayed. The band and crowd were both great, see them if you get the opportunity!

Jebator
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:58 pm 

Didin't get the chance to see them live lately, but judging by youtube clips it seems they play cca 20% slower than on the records.

Stil, love the band.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:35 pm 

I have seen them many times, all in the 2000s.
I didn't check out the clip you posted. Maybe I will later. I can say that every time I've seen them they have been really great. Dave Carlo was having some health issues and that probably slowed them down a bit. They got a new drummer recently (their third) and one time when i saw them (in 2014 I believe it was) he didn't know a lot of the songs yet, so the set was pretty short. However I saw them in hamilton just a few months ago and they nailed everything. bob Reed may not be Sheepdog but he is a hilarious and great frontman, always cracking jokes and being both badass and self-effacing simultaneously. You should go. What have you got to lose?
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:47 pm 

Yeah, saw em open up for Bolt Thrower a couple years back and they were great. Riffs are sharp and biting live, really solid vocal delivery and just a tight, breakneck performance. I'm not even a big thrash guy but I enjoyed it quite a bit.

SKYLESS AEONS
SENTIMENT DISSOLVE
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE

Gene Chode
Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:23 pm 

Bob's vocals sound pretty weak in that clip IMO , but maybe that's due to poor sound quality or some other factor . I realize that live clips often don't do justice to how a band actually sounds live , which is why I'm asking .

Anyway thanks for the answers .

cvac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:23 am 

Based on that clip, I'd go see them. May have not been their best night, but they sound pretty good for a bunch of dudes in their 50s (I know the drummer is a young guy, but still). In general, old-timers don't jump around like they did when they were 22 or whatever. Doesn't mean they can't deliver a good show.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:48 pm 

Bob Reid's always had that smoker's thrash snarl. Not sure how it's been holding up these days, but Shotgun Justice is an insane performance from him.

That said, aren't there some rumors that Razor's supposed to be putting out a new album?

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:41 pm 

Razor is unquestionably one of the best live bands around today. I have seen them twice, and no band has ever made my neck hurt as much as they do. The first time I saw them was opening for Bolt Thrower, and they absolutely crushed Bolt Thrower. Also, I'm in the minority on this, but Bob Reid is the voice of Razor to me, and Shotgun Justice is probably their best record. He can do the old songs great live.

FasterDisaster wrote:
Bob Reid's always had that smoker's thrash snarl. Not sure how it's been holding up these days, but Shotgun Justice is an insane performance from him.

That said, aren't there some rumors that Razor's supposed to be putting out a new album?

Last time I saw them (2016) they were selling album artwork shirts and said it was coming out soon. Not too sure what the delay has been though.

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:14 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R86E793ZJyo

Thought I broke my nose when I saw them here. Never been a big Razor fan at all, but this show was fucknuts crazy. Don't miss a chance to see them.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:27 am 

Abominatrix wrote:
I have seen them many times, all in the 2000s.
I didn't check out the clip you posted. Maybe I will later. I can say that every time I've seen them they have been really great. Dave Carlo was having some health issues and that probably slowed them down a bit. They got a new drummer recently (their third) and one time when i saw them (in 2014 I believe it was) he didn't know a lot of the songs yet, so the set was pretty short. However I saw them in hamilton just a few months ago and they nailed everything. bob Reed may not be Sheepdog but he is a hilarious and great frontman, always cracking jokes and being both badass and self-effacing simultaneously. You should go. What have you got to lose?

Dave Carlo is also legally blind nowadays.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:04 pm 

Spiner202 wrote:
Last time I saw them (2016) they were selling album artwork shirts and said it was coming out soon. Not too sure what the delay has been though.

Post the artwork! Or the shirt! Or the name! Or something!

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:25 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Spiner202 wrote:

I've got nothing unfortunately. I didn't buy it (didn't like the design). From what I remember, it was red/orange, but my memory is likely failing.

dametalone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:10 am 

Funny the OP posts a video from MDF 2015. I was there and I recorded these from the back of the lot during their set...

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:13 am 

If you guys check out the Living Fast episode with Razor, Mike Campagnolo talks about how they do their set in chronological order, and by the time they get to the Shotgun Justice era and play "Electric Torture" and get to the abrupt end you can always hear somebody yelling "holy fuck!!" The Shotgun Justice/Open Hostility period is so fucking fast and insane. Dave Carlo's frustration with everything around him made for some amazing music during that time.

Gene Chode
Stupid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:31 am 

dametalone wrote:
Funny the OP posts a video from MDF 2015. I was there and I recorded these from the back of the lot during their set...

Bob sounds better in that first clip you posted . I guess I stumbled upon a not so good quality recording with my link .

chainsawcharlie52402
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:07 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Spiner202 wrote:

All I found was a live album.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:59 am 

I saw them at Keep it True a few years ago. I was going to just sit and watch but I ended up getting down and banging my head. I guess that's a ringing endorsement; not perfect or anything, but fuck, Razor have loads of great songs.

Reply to topic