Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:08 pm 

I'm curious as to what are some bands that get little to no hate around here? I'm sure bands like Bolt Thrower and Vader have had consistently positive opinions. Or maybe bands that have had "albums that aren't as good as the other ones they released, but still not considered bad," like maybe Falconer or Kalmah? (For The Revolution is the lowest album for Kalmah but still a generally positive album.)

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:43 pm 

Bands (including their fans) that keep their heads down, so to speak, and aren't outright bad will avoid hate. As you might imagine from that description, most bands go at least unmentioned or occasionally touted. There aren't a whole lot of bands that engender ill-will.

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:24 pm 

Slough Feg is generally pretty positive, and for good reason.

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:52 pm 

Bolt Thrower is definitely the most revered band in the metal archives forum, followed by overkill probably. I've read some negative comments on slough feg latest albums here.

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:54 pm 

blackmantram wrote:
Bolt Thrower is definitely the most revered band in the metal archives forum, followed by overkill probably. I've read some negative comments on slough feg latest albums here.

true on their last few, but they are still better than 90% of the shit nowadays haha.

GanoesParan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:03 pm 

Among my friends and from what I have seen here on the Archives, I've never heard any hate for Immolation.

KinskiTemper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:16 pm 

I don't think I've ever heard someone outright say they hate Motorhead.

KinskiTemper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:18 pm 

GanoesParan wrote:
Among my friends and from what I have seen here on the Archives, I've never heard any hate for Immolation.

They have a perfect recipe of solid, worthwhile releases coupled with being totally awesome guys to fans. Put on a great show, too.

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:39 pm 

KinskiTemper wrote:
GanoesParan wrote:

They have a perfect recipe of solid, worthwhile releases coupled with being totally awesome guys to fans. Put on a great show, too.

Saw them with Nile nearly ten years ago. It was around when "Shadows in the Light" came out. It was fucking electric. The bass on "Passion Kill" caved my chest in. Got to headbang with a dude with hair as long as mine was, guy was like fifty or so and full-blown metalhead. That's the kindred spirit that the album doesn't always give you. Such a great night.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:51 pm 

blackmantram wrote:

Overkill? This forum has shown plenty of hate for their groove era, which was a very long time in the band's career.

I'd say bands like Rotting Christ don't normally get hate as far as this forum is concerned. Pretty well received band.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

thesilentenigma
Puddlemonkey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:56 am 

People seem infatuated with Incantation but I can't for the life of me figure out why.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:51 am 

I've never heard any hate for Disembowlement in any occasion.

Online i never heard hate for cult bands like Root, Mortuary Drape, Bulldozer, Razor, Cirith Ungol..

Sodom, Bolt Thrower, Vader, Type O Negative and Manilla Road are very beloved too... Voivod get a lot of "i don't understand" reactions but i've never actually seen straight hate

Offline it's a different thing: i've yet to hear bad words from other people against Death, Pantera, Wintersun (..yes :() Blind Guardian, Cynic, Agalloch.. they are at least respected by metalheads of all ages for their history and/or their technical skills.

I'm seeing lots of love for Ghost too, i was surprised by the ungodly amount of bashing they get here :lol:

Last edited by ~Guest 334273 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:58 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
I'd say bands like Rotting Christ don't normally get hate as far as this forum is concerned. Pretty well received band.

they get plenty of hate for their modern era (like, post sanctus diavolos, but especially aealo and the last two)

i'm gonna go ahead and throw moonsorrow in the mix. also, rainbow/dio

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:59 am 

Not a mention of Cannibal Corpse yet. If anything this band has any one of its albums a favorite to many.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:53 am 

joppek wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:

they get plenty of hate for their modern era (like, post sanctus diavolos, but especially aealo and the last two)

I will still say that Rituals is one of Rotting Christ's best albums, and they've had a lot through their career. Something about that album rubs me the right way, and every song is an absolute doozy. I also liked Aealo, as well, although not the last track. Overall, though, Rotting Christ are a fairly consistent band.

thesilentenigma wrote:
People seem infatuated with Incantation but I can't for the life of me figure out why.

They're a very consistent band, so you either like what they do, or you don't; ergo, you like all their albums, or none of them.

Dooders wrote:
Not a mention of Cannibal Corpse yet. If anything this band has any one of its albums a favorite to many.

Another consistent band, although personally I don't consider all their stuff winners. I loathe Butchered at Birth and I find it's definitely their worst offering. Vile and The Wretched Spawn are moderate, too. But the rest range from good to excellent, so for a career of their length, that's not a bad outcome.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:58 am 

Manilla Road, Type O Negative, Slough Feg, Solstice (the doom band), Demolition Hammer and Hell seem to be largely adored here. BastardHead doesn't get Manilla Road, but he's an outlier.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:13 am 

Bathory
Seemingly loved by both the old school & younger crowd.

Necrophagist
I've seen people praise this band even if they dislike modern tech death.

Accept
Not sure where everybody stands on the new stuff but generally there's nothing but praise for them.

Devourment
"I fucking hate slam, well except Devourment" or something to that effect

Edit: typo

Last edited by IamDBR on Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:18 am 

Terri23 wrote:
Demolition Hammer

Time Bomb isn't loved, though. First two are, of course. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:21 am 

Bathory have the infamous late thrash era, wich is universally disliked :(

On Necrophagist... i can't even make through one song, But i know that i'm in the minority :lol:

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:50 am 

I've never heard anyone criticise
- Bolt Thrower
- Rigor Mortis
- Gargoyle

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:16 am 

KinskiTemper wrote:
GanoesParan wrote:

I've met a person seriously hate them aside from maybe one record, but and I acknowledge that they're not for everyone. People who aren't into them are mostly quite graceful about it. It's a band that seems to command respect even from people who aren't into the music, and I'm not surprised why, given their extraordinary innovativeness, longevity, and integrity.

Epicureo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:28 am 

Last edited by Epicureo on Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:34 am 

As for shorter-running ones (yet), I've never seen anything but praise for Beastmilk. I'm not a big fan, but I recognise that it's well-made music, even though it's not my personal cup of tea.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:51 am 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
I've never heard any hate for Disembowlement in any occasion.

Online i never heard hate for cult bands like Root, Mortuary Drape, Bulldozer, Razor, Cirith Ungol..

Sodom, Bolt Thrower, Vader, Type O Negative and Manilla Road are very beloved too... Voivod get a lot of "i don't understand" reactions but i've never actually seen straight hate

Offline it's a different thing: i've yet to hear bad words from other people against Death, Pantera, Wintersun (..yes :() Blind Guardian, Cynic, Agalloch.. they are at least respected by metalheads of all ages for their history and/or their technical skills.

I'm seeing lots of love for Ghost too, i was surprised by the ungodly amount of bashing they get here :lol:

I see lots of hate for all the bands you mentioned in your comment about offline.... pantera and wintersun are universally shit on at home. Also i don't get the bolt thrower thing... to me they're ok, not god tier or anything.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:10 am 

I know! it's very strange to me hear all the hate for those bands in every site i visit and never actually find real detractors in my area, Pantera in particular are revered like gods by my friends and random people i meet at shows. Maybe i should start questioning my friendships :lol:

Bolt Thrower have something for everyone: old school attitude, heaviness, grooves, melodies, cool lyrical topics.. i'm not a rabid follower too, but i can understand the appeal! :)

TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:21 am 

Some bands just get a lot of respect based on their status and the status of their members. Pantera (Dimebag) or Death (Chuck) are notable examples of the latter. Bands that stick to what they're good/influential at like Cannibal Corpse, Motorhead, Sodom, Napalm Death (for the most part) are examples of the former. Metal folks tend to be quite conservative, it seems.

I think all very well known bands have plenty of people who actively dislike them. From the less legendary names, I don't think I've heard many people actively hating on Primordial. Also, sludge bands like Crowbar and EyeHateGod generally get a good rep, but I think this differs a fair bit from place to place.
"Of Terror and the Supernatural by Temple of Void is miles ahead of It's midnight in Neverland and I can't get my dick out of this unicorn; Volume 8 by Nightwish in both the amount of heaviness and lack of keyboards."

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:10 pm 

thesilentenigma wrote:

Just change the name in Asphyx and WWIII is coming in 3...2...1...

"You make it easy."

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:34 pm 

I'm a fan of Incantation, but I recognise that they have a sacred cow status in metal underground. I feel like that, too, is in part because of their status as great innovators with Golgotha, great interaction with fans, McEntee's humble character, and their decades-spanning consistency and unwavering integrity.

I reckon Incantation is a much more sacred band than Asphyx, or any other death metal band really.

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:57 pm 

Primordial, My Dying Bride, Immortal...

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:24 pm 

How about Deathspell Omega? I personally haven't seen many detractors.

Carcass: For a band to go from some of the filthiest grind ever to melodeath they get surprisingly little hate.

The Red Chord: Given their association with deathcore they are pretty well regarded by both the core/dm crowd, then again they aren't really that big to begin with.

Maybe Converge too, though I'm not so sure about them.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:55 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I'm a fan of Incantation, but I recognise that they have a sacred cow status in metal underground. I feel like that, too, is in part because of their status as great innovators with Golgotha, great interaction with fans, McEntee's humble character, and their decades-spanning consistency and unwavering integrity.

I reckon Incantation is a much more sacred band than Asphyx, or any other death metal band really.

Incantation is a weaker Immolation.

Fight me.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:02 pm 

Terri23 wrote:
BastardHead doesn't get Manilla Road, but he's an outlier.

I don't get Manilla Road, either. I also don't see much hate for Running Wild, but DroneRiot is an outlier for that one.

Morbid Saint is revered in the same way as Demolition Hammer, and I feel like Razor and Dark Angel are pretty beloved even if they don't get discussed much anymore.

Epicureo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:11 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
I don't get Manilla Road, either. I also don't see much hate for Running Wild, but DroneRiot is an outlier for that one.

Morbid Saint is revered in the same way as Demolition Hammer, and I feel like Razor and Dark Angel are pretty beloved even if they don't get discussed much anymore.

Running Wild pre 2000? Absolutely.
Running Wild post 2000 (Rogues en Vogue, Shadowmaker etc.) ? They get lots of flak.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:30 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:

second only to bolt thrower i'd say

ratrace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:04 pm 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:

Incantation is a weaker Immolation.

Fight me.

Both bands have been producing shitty, uber-boring and uninspired poor excuse for music for god knows how many years (too many anyways), Incantation being the worst among the worst. How can anyone listen to this sonic excrement is way, way beyond me...

ratrace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:08 pm 

thesilentenigma wrote:

Finally, a clear moment of sense and logic amidst a sea of bullshit this site has been producing since 2002 or so...

A moment of silence, everybody, to commemorate this golden, rare occasion...

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:24 pm 

Iced Earth seems almost universally loved outside of the forums. On here though they're usually (rightfully) crapped upon. I'll still never understand the cult-like dedication to this band.

Iron Maiden gets quite a lot of love here and especially the outside metal world, even for their newer albums.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:20 pm 

I was going to mention Maiden. The last one got a bit of bad feedback due to being bloated and repetitive, but in my experience it was nothing close to hate, and most people appreciate them for making good (and slightly safe) metal this late in their career. I've never seen the discussion about Maiden reach the levels you could expect in a Metallica thread, for example.

MyrVarg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:25 pm 

Converge I very rarely see people hate, even though they aren't metal. I used to not like them because I saw them open for Mastodon and didn't get their sound because I didn't know anything about metalcore/mathcore but later on I got why they're so loved.

Repulsion and Pig Destroyer too if we're still in the -core realm but with grindcore.

Wombface
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:36 pm 

Haven't seen Pagan Altar catch any shit, and for good reason.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next