Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
televiper11
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:06 am 

As I mentioned in the 'Now Playing' thread, I've been on a huge Destruction bender going through their discography in order (skipping the Cannonball crap, of course) and was wondering what particular albums from them people here would recommend as their favorite.

So far, a minority opinion I know, Cracked Brain has gotten the most spins from me.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:45 pm 

televiper11 wrote:
As I mentioned in the 'Now Playing' thread, I've been on a huge Destruction bender going through their discography in order (skipping the Cannonball crap, of course) and was wondering what particular albums from them people here would recommend as their favorite.

So far, a minority opinion I know, Cracked Brain has gotten the most spins from me.

I'm with you on "Cracked Brain". I rarely tire of that one. Awesome songs and playing.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:03 pm 

Cracked Brain is the only one I don't own, but I'd say any of the first three full-lengths work. Infernal Overkill probably has the best songwriting but the worst production. Eternal Devastation has the worst songwriting but the best production. And Release From Agony is in the middle of both. All fantastic albums though.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:26 pm 

I'm looking for something like the new Power Trip album and Hellbringer - Awakened from the Abyss. Particularly in regards to the production aspect. Also, how about something like that Ripper album from last year?

infrablack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:54 am 

IamDBR wrote:
I'm looking for something like the new Power Trip album and Hellbringer - Awakened from the Abyss. Particularly in regards to the production aspect. Also, how about something like that Ripper album from last year?

Insulter - Crypts Of Satan
Hexecutor - Poison, Lust & Damnation
Hellish - Grimoire
Evil Force - Banging On The Pentagram
My Regime - Dogmas
Serpent Crown - Incantations Of Vengeance
Foreseen - Grave Danger
Survival Instinct - Hell's Angels
Speedwhore - The Future Is Now
Blackened Ritual - s/t
Inculter - Persisting Devolution
Witches - The Hunt
Pripjat - Sons Of Tschernobyl
Skoffin - Lucid Persecution
Rapture - Crimes Against Humanity
Entrench - Violent Procreation
Hellraider - The Time Has Come
Lurking Evil - The Almighty Hordes Of The Undead

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:13 am 

Thanks man! Much appreciated.

Buried Dreamer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:00 pm 

televiper11 wrote:

I am doing the same as you, but slightly out of order. I knew Metal Discharge and I quite like it, so I've been going back in time in their discography. So far my favourite is The Antichrist (2001). Oh man, it is a very decent thrash album in my opinion. I prefer it to their old stuff and to Metal Discharge as well. Can't say much about the newer discs, I am in the process of getting acquainted with them.

Actually I am listening to it right now (coincidence, I swear), there is a sweet solo in the "let your mind rot" track playing while I write this. :headbang:

televiper11
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:52 pm 

Been spinning Destruction's Live Without Sense and it is right up there with Decade Of Aggression -- any other good thrash live albums out there?

infrablack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:51 am 

televiper11 wrote:
any other good thrash live albums out there?

televiper11
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:23 am 

infrablack wrote:
televiper11 wrote:
any other good thrash live albums out there?

Never been a huge Exodus fan but that was a pretty energetic listen.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:22 pm 

The best thrash live album (that sounds truly live) is METAL CHURCH - Live IMHO.

infrablack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:04 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
The best thrash live album (that sounds truly live) is METAL CHURCH - Live IMHO.

I never got that some people consider Metal Church to be Thrash.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:21 pm 

infrablack wrote:
Temple Of Blood wrote:

I never got that some people consider Metal Church to be Thrash.

In fact, merciless onslaught may be the very first thrash song ever recorded. On a demo in 1981.

infrablack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:55 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
In fact, merciless onslaught may be the very first thrash song ever recorded. On a demo in 1981.

In my world Metal Church is mostly (US) Power Metal and on the faster tracks like MO or Battalions it is Speed Metal, just the more hefty kind of Speed. Apart from that their stuff lacks nearly everything that defines Thrash for me.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:17 pm 

infrablack wrote:
Temple Of Blood wrote:

In my world Metal Church is mostly (US) Power Metal and on the faster tracks like MO or Battalions it is Speed Metal, just the more hefty kind of Speed. Apart from that their stuff lacks nearly everything that defines Thrash for me.

They have chromatic fast tremolo riffs, like on the song "Metal Church". That's not a speed metal characteristic. Speed metal doesn't use chromatic riffs.

Not to mention the song I pointed out before, "Merciless Onslaught". That music is as thrashy as "Kill em All". It has chromatic riffs and speed. Unquestionably thrash.

infrablack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:39 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
They have chromatic fast tremolo riffs, like on the song "Metal Church". That's not a speed metal characteristic. Speed metal doesn't use chromatic riffs.

Not to mention the song I pointed out before, "Merciless Onslaught". That music is as thrashy as "Kill em All". It has chromatic riffs and speed. Unquestionably thrash.

Even if some musical parameters might fit into the Thrash pattern, a whole song isn't automatically a Thrash song and even if MC had one or another Thrash song (what I still doubt), the band would be still nowhere near being a Thrash band. It's not all about chromatic tremolo riffing - it's much more about the vibes, a song is delivering and in that department MC brings absolutely no Exodus-Slayer-Kreator-feels to my receptors.

btw - many people consider Kill 'em all to be nothing but Speed Metal.

Muhammadabbadabba
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:50 am 

Many moons ago, I remember talking about Metalliclones with a friend. I stumbled upon these guys last year and was quite taken by their demo. Indeed, this fits the bill of a blatant Metallica clone, but the music is still astonishingly good.

Looking for more like this. The older, the better ('80s or early '90s).

infrablack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:48 pm 

Muhammadabbadabba wrote:
Many moons ago, I remember talking about Metalliclones with a friend. I stumbled upon these guys last year and was quite taken by their demo. Indeed, this fits the bill of a blatant Metallica clone, but the music is still astonishingly good.

I don't hear much of a Metallica clone in that band, but you should know the californian Aversion, right?

Muhammadabbadabba
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:52 pm 

infrablack wrote:
Muhammadabbadabba wrote:

I don't hear much of a Metallica clone in that band, but you should know the californian Aversion, right?

Yep. I have "Fit to be Tied" and "The Ugly Truth".

infrablack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:32 pm 

My fave 'tallica soundalike is the early stuff by german Personal/Perzonal War.

TheKilla
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:56 pm 

I'm a big fan of this live album from 2003. Great set-list before the changed their style (and then changed it back), featuring a lot of the "hits" and edited very well together.

Muhammadabbadabba
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:03 pm 

infrablack wrote:
My fave 'tallica soundalike is the early stuff by german Personal/Perzonal War.

Yeah, definitely getting Metallica vibes from that second song, although the first one sounds more like Testament if you ask me.

One blatant Metalliclone I thoroughly enjoy is Коррозия Металла [Korrozia Metalla]. This is basically the Russian "Seek & Destroy", so anything along these lines is a-okay with me.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:12 pm 

Hi all,

I discovered some really really great thrash just looking over a couple of posts and the recommendations.

First of all, I'm a really big fan of (early)Metallica and Slayer but my all time favorite thrash album might be Don't Break the Oath by Mercyful Fate.

Can anybody put out a really great list or some recommendations for what might be in the vein of these.

Thanks in advance.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:34 pm 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
Hi all,

I discovered some really really great thrash just looking over a couple of posts and the recommendations.

First of all, I'm a really big fan of (early)Metallica and Slayer but my all time favorite thrash album might be Don't Break the Oath by Mercyful Fate.

Can anybody put out a really great list or some recommendations for what might be in the vein of these.

Thanks in advance.

Most wouldn't consider MF a thrash band, but a traditional metal band that was an influence on the development of thrash metal.

DARK ANGEL - Darkness Descends
MEGADETH - Killing is my Business (remaster)
ARTILLERY - Terror Squad
TOURNIQUET - Stop the Bleeding
DEADLY BLESSING - Ascend from the Cauldron

You might like my band's first album too (Temple of Blood - "Prepare for the Judgement of Mankind"). There is a lot of thrash riffing on there, power metal moments, and high screams.

tentacleterror
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:27 am 

So Spazztic Blurr released a new album last year called Hello Dum Dums.
Some rerecorded and some new songs. The LP also features the 1986 demo, remastered too.
I think this flew under most peoples radar.
The first LP is better but this one is not that bad. (8 songs only)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJNwNtBDbRo

This one is not faster than Wehrmacht. :)

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:23 am 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

Most wouldn't consider MF a thrash band, but a traditional metal band that was an influence on the development of thrash metal.

DARK ANGEL - Darkness Descends
MEGADETH - Killing is my Business (remaster)
ARTILLERY - Terror Squad
TOURNIQUET - Stop the Bleeding
DEADLY BLESSING - Ascend from the Cauldron

You might like my band's first album too (Temple of Blood - "Prepare for the Judgement of Mankind"). There is a lot of thrash riffing on there, power metal moments, and high screams.

Those are good bands but can I have something more recent.

PS:Your band Temple of Blood is pretty good as well. I certainly liked it.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:36 am 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:

Thanks!

Unfortunately most new thrash bands aren't really influenced by Mercyful Fate, but I would check out IMMACULATE - Atheist Crusade.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:51 am 

Trallery is a band that came to my mind. I think they are great, their debut is my favorite Spanish metal release (2013). They play thrash but their songwriting covers a lot of ground, from speed/power to deathrash to tech-thrash, they even have a (fine) hard n' heavy song. All this revolves a Metallica gravity center, which you can hear very clearly in a couple of songs, notably the opener. Vocals might be an acquired taste, I love them, very passionate and the dude totally goes for it with many styles- but a bit clumsy at times. They didn't impress me much at first listen but they had some awesome passages that brought me back and soon I was addicted. Oh, and great solos throughout.
I'd suggest digging in the whole album (no fillers) but to get an idea:
Trallery - Disease
Trallery - Path of Life (fave song, a total metal anthem, epic album closer)

For Slayer, Nekromantheon is the most excited I got with a recent dark thrash album (Rise, Vulcan Spectre - 2012) that would truly make old Slayer proud. Strictly 83-86 Slayer (84-86 to be more precise):
Nekromantheon - Blood Wisdom
Nekromantheon - Rise, Vulcan Spectre (shows their black roots too)
Nekromantheon - Cast Down to the Void

For something more melodic, I really liked Forte's 2012 Unholy War (that song Dead to Me, reminds me of Megadeth too, LOVE IT)

And although it's not really Metallica or Slayer or MF, Rigor Mortis' final album is fucking excellent thrash.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:02 am 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
sonic_enemy_333 wrote:

Thanks!

Unfortunately most new thrash bands aren't really influenced by Mercyful Fate, but I would check out IMMACULATE - Atheist Crusade.

k. thanks.

Can you give me some bands inspired by Slayer. Especially the slower Slayer like Seasons in the Abyss and South of Hevaen

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:38 am 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:

k. thanks.

Can you give me some bands inspired by Slayer. Especially the slower Slayer like Seasons in the Abyss and South of Hevaen

Hmm, unfortunately new thrash bands mostly rely on speed instead of great riffs like those albums had.

SUICIDAL ANGELS - Eternal Domination might have some songs on it that might fit the bill.

infrablack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:53 am 

If one likes early Mercyful Fate, I know not one thrash band to recommend, but you have to check Portrait!

The new one smokes!

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:53 pm 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
but my all time favorite thrash album might be Don't Break the Oath by Mercyful Fate.

One of my favorite albums from the mid-80's. And the most evil album cover - simple and to the point. I've never heard anything else whose songs are constructed like that.

I think Heathendom sounds most like MF. They even do a King Diamond cover (Welcome Home). Only vocalist I know who can pull off King Diamond.

Not sure if you know, but Sherman and Denner formed Force of Evil in the early 2000's, and Denner/Sherman afterward. Force of Evil don't sound much like MF, but the Denner/Sherman EP has riffs that are unmistakably MF.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:50 am 

I found a few bands on youtube that I liked.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:03 am 

@sonic_enemy_333:
For Mercyful Fate worship try the band Them
For Slayer worship try the band Hellbringer

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:26 pm 

yeah hellbringer - dominion of darkness is quite good!

infrablack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:11 am 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:

But for the mentioned Slayer-worship, you should choose "Awakened From The Abyss".

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:45 am 

infrablack wrote:
sonic_enemy_333 wrote:

But for the mentioned Slayer-worship, you should choose "Awakened From The Abyss".

Damn! That's even better!

And I definitely hear a lot of Slayer in it. In fact it's exactly like a Slayer album.

infrablack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:59 am 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
Damn! That's even better!

And I definitely hear a lot of Slayer in it. In fact it's exactly like a Slayer album.

Even a bit too much like a Slayer album if you ask me. I prefer the first album and the EP. That EP was originally released under their old name Forgery and had a cool cover.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:41 am 

haha! that is a cool cover.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:00 am 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
sonic_enemy_333 wrote:

k. thanks.

Hmm, unfortunately new thrash bands mostly rely on speed instead of great riffs like those albums had.

SUICIDAL ANGELS - Eternal Domination might have some songs on it that might fit the bill.

Right on, SUICIDE ANGELS does seem to be a Slayer-esque band. I heard this and there were obvious similarities.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127 ... 136  Next