* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:58 pm 

Lengthy band explanation:

Spoiler: show
"We're super stoked to announce our fifth studio album 'Malina' for release on the 25th August 2017! To coincide with this, we've have also announced an extensive European tour with special guests, Iceland's Agent Fresco, plus Australia's Alithia & fellow Norwegian's Astrosaur.

Following a hugely successful EU tour as support to label-mates Devin Townsend Project, the band started the recording of the follow-up to 2015's ‘The Congregation’. Front-man and keyboard player Einar Solberg comments: "This album is the perfect example of how you can start with a vision and end up with a result that has nothing to do with the original idea. The writing of the album started out with the idea to perfect the sound and working method we began with on ‘The Congregation’. While the writing process was actually pretty similar (30 sketches, elimination process etc etc) we gradually started noticing stuff with the sound and the songwriting on the previous album that we wanted to sound different. Gradually we realized what needed to be done. This album needs to sound more alive, more organic and more dynamic.” The band entered the studio with David Castillo at Ghostward in Sweden, while mixing duties were once again taken care of by Jens Bogren. “David immediately understood where we wanted to go. We spent probably 4 times as many days in the studio as with any other recording we've done, for we've come to learn that if you want to sound unique that is primarily done during recordings, not the mix. We wanted it to sound like it sounded. We did not want to ‘digitalize’ the sound.”

With 'Malina', Leprous have made every effort to try new ways of working, and push the boundaries of their sound in ways they had not originally set out to do. “We feel with ‘Malina’ that we've managed to achieve a natural sounding organic album with great songs that still sounds modern. Organic doesn't necessarily equal ‘retro’. While we still very much sound like Leprous, I believe that with this album we more accurately define as a rock band than a metal band. We're insanely proud of this album, and can't wait to share it with you all.” This feeling is reflected in the stunning cover artwork too, which you can see above. Einar continues: 'We wanted to try something new this time, and work with a new artist. Some good musician friends of ours recommended Corey Meyers. I checked him out, and damn he's good. This is the first time we've ever received the perfect cover on the first attempt. It represents the album perfectly and looks pretty amazing!'"

Leprous is probably my favorite band playing music today, so to say I'm excited would be an understatement. Reading some of this does make me worried though; when I think of Leprous's best material, "organic" is not the word that comes to mind. And though it's already been trending this way, a metal band claiming their new stuff will be more rock then metal is one of those statements that doesn't result in good things very often. Whatever it sounds like, though, I'm sure it'll be creative and fascinating as hell, so we'll see.

I really like the cover art, too, a welcome change from their rather unpleasant artworks in the past.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:10 pm 

Metal_Detector wrote:
[spoiler]"We're super stoked to announce our fifth studio album 'Malina' for release on the 25th August 2017!

Last album was amazing. Let's hope for this. :thumbsup:

~Guest 394415
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:40 pm 

Last edited by ~Guest 394415 on Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bloodstone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:13 pm 

Anyone into progressive metal needs to hear this band. I was at the DVD show in Oslo, which really elevated my appreciation for them. Modern, fresh, dripping with soulfulness. Super looking forward!

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:29 pm 

Love these guys. I'll definitely be picking this one up.

Sestren
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:17 am 

That rock comment is worrisome. My expectations have really lowered after hearing this. :-/

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:21 pm 

Sestren wrote:
That rock comment is worrisome. My expectations have really lowered after hearing this. :-/

The last album was not heavy in the slightest.

TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 2:00 am 

Kveldulfr wrote:
Sestren wrote:

The last album was not heavy in the slightest.

It had some heavy-sounding moments, but depending on how you define heavy, you are right. There were no full-blown metal songs like "Contaminate Me" or "Waste Of Air". But in spite of this, I consider the last album to be significantly better than the inconsistent "Coal".
"Of Terror and the Supernatural by Temple of Void is miles ahead of It's midnight in Neverland and I can't get my dick out of this unicorn; Volume 8 by Nightwish in both the amount of heaviness and lack of keyboards."

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 2:48 am 

The rock comment has me excited. The heaviest djenty parts have always pissed me off.

The further away from metal they are, the better.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:39 am 

HELL YES!

I actually just went through a Leprous phase again recently, so I'm extremely excited for this. Whatever they decide to do, I know they have the chops to pull it off. That album art is sick too!

Sestren
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:04 am 

Lower your expectations... at least for the new single. It is an absolute bore. Big disappointment with the rock direction they want to go. Somewhat reminds me of the garbage emo shit you hear coming out of radio. I usually tend to like singles but not this case. It is really bland. I'm hoping when the album comes out am proven wrong.

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:03 pm 

The single:

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:19 pm 

fourrobert13 wrote:
The single:

This does not suprise me at all. One of the struggles you face as a prog metal listener is seeing your fav bands turning into boring radio crap at some point in their carreers, you know, that stuff people like to call "musical evolution".

RNG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:48 am 

lol, so they pulled a Circus Maximus?

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:51 am 

I was never much into Leprous, liked the music, but couldn't get into the vocals. Saw them live last year and was BLOWN AWAY. Got an appreciation for everyone in the band, even the vocals. Easily one of the best bands I have seen in my life.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:24 am 

That song really didn't work for me. It felt too standard, too normal, and Einar's weird falsetto thing in the chorus was just wrong. Oh how I hope that this isn't indicative of what the whole album's gonna sound like.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:53 pm 

Not really getting the complaints on this single. Radio rock? Not any more so than The Congregation. This doesn't sound too different from something like The Price off that album, with the staccato guitars and busy rhythms. The vocal hooks are on point too, and the performance is solid!

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:33 am 

I'm cautiously optimistic. This is obviously their pop single, but even then, I'm definitely digging how they're still working in the strange off-kilter rhythms into the verses that characterized The Congregation. I think it could work very well in the context of the album.

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:30 am 

Bishop_Drugsalot wrote:
The rock comment has me excited. The heaviest djenty parts have always pissed me off.

The further away from metal they are, the better.

Sounds like Agent Fresco should be right up your alley, then.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

metalistkrieg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:58 am 

It boggles my mind what passes for metal these days. I'm not familiar with their past work and maybe they played metal before but that single is definitely not metal.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:09 pm 

metalistkrieg wrote:
It boggles my mind what passes for metal these days. I'm not familiar with their past work and maybe they played metal before but that single is definitely not metal.

It's not metal. They pretty clearly stated that it wasn't metal, either. As for their other work, the previous two albums were about 50/50, and everything before that was definitely metal, hence their inclusion here.

metalistkrieg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:24 pm 

Now THAT is metal. So many bands wimp out it's frustrating to see as a metal fan.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:38 pm 

metalistkrieg wrote:
So many bands wimp out it's frustrating to see as a metal fan.

So many fans believe ceasing to play metal is to wimp out, it's frustrating to see as a metal fan.

Ceasing to play metal is to wimp out because playing metal is to be... what? Courageous? :lol:

metalistkrieg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:53 pm 

Hey bro if you like metal bands who take a new direction that's cool. I prefer my fave bands to play nothing but metal not some watered down sad ass attempt at radio friendly bs.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:25 am 

I don't like/dislike bands based on whether they take a new direction or not, but whether what they do sound good. I didn't even like that song, and have limited knowledge of the band's previous work, and couldn't care less if they ceased to play music at all or had never played music at all to begin with.

What was ridiculous was the view that ceasing to play metal is to "wimp out". That claim has nothing to do with preference, nor about something being watered down, sad, attempts at anything.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:47 am 

The problem is not that they "wimped out" or got radio friendly, which they really haven't. The problem is that the song is a lifeless, meandering nothing of a song with no direction and annoying vocals. It just does not work on any real level, and it doesn't instill much hope in me for the album, which sucks because I've absolutely loved everything they did before this.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:34 am 

Yup, my problem with this is pretty much the same one as with "Coal" - the whole band is playing in a very creative, but somewhat restrained way. I like the main "riff", it's tense and it works, but it's definitely not the backbone of the song, which, to me, sucks. The vocals are not, and they're just overpowering, and annoying, even. If the riffs and tempos were accentuated in that new song rather than the chorus, it would be much, much better. That's more of a production/arrangement issue than songwriting, though.
"Of Terror and the Supernatural by Temple of Void is miles ahead of It's midnight in Neverland and I can't get my dick out of this unicorn; Volume 8 by Nightwish in both the amount of heaviness and lack of keyboards."

~Guest 394415
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:10 am 

Last edited by ~Guest 394415 on Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bloodstone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:32 am 

The new single is maybe a bit basic, but as someone else mentioned, not far from Congregation stuff really. The vocals are fantastic as always and there's so much soul to it.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:27 pm 

Yeah man, to each there own, but it's odd to me to see someone say they love everything else they've released and talk about this like it's awful. It's really not that different from what was done on The Congregation. I especially don't get the complaints about the vocals. His performance is exactly the type of stuff he's been doing since Coal.

TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:58 am 

New Song called "Stuck" (or at least, the radio edit thereof):

I have to say that this sounds very, very, weak to my ears. Fairly straightforward, unmemorable, just... a very meh rock song with some technical elements.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:43 am 

TheWaltzer wrote:
New Song called "Stuck" (or at least, the radio edit thereof):

I have to say that this sounds very, very, weak to my ears. Fairly straightforward, unmemorable, just... a very meh rock song with some technical elements.

To their defense, that's the "radio edit" version, the longer version is more interesting.

Still, I think both singles are extremely happy and poppy, even for their standards. Those songs won't sound good in a tracklist with a song like Slave, for example. I hope this will be a sort of Genesis' Duke for them and not an ABACAB.

Sestren
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:34 am 

Absolutely garbage. No hope for this album or this band if they continue this path.

~Guest 394415
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:20 am 

Last edited by ~Guest 394415 on Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blizk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:50 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
Still, I think both singles are extremely happy and poppy, even for their standards.

The lyrics of Stuck deal with mental struggles and especially the chorus reflects the theme well. There's nothing particularly "happy" about it.

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:07 pm 

I liked the new track. I'd like to pre-oreder the CD since no local stores will carry this, but Amazon wants $32.09 for it. A touch ridiculous IMO. Guess I'll have to settle for the mp3 unless the price comes way down.

ETA: Never mind, found the version that wasn't an import. $15.98 is a little better I suppose.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:53 pm 

Blizk wrote:
Kveldulfr wrote:
Still, I think both singles are extremely happy and poppy, even for their standards.

The lyrics of Stuck deal with mental struggles and especially the chorus reflects the theme well. There's nothing particularly "happy" about it.

The music? sounds quite upbeat to me.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:29 am 

This new song is definitely the lightest and poppiest song they've ever done. I like it, it's catchy and still sounds like Leprous.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:30 am 

As someone who's never given the least whiff of a shit about this band, I have to say that these new songs sound pretty good, especially compared to the old song that was posted. That just came off as a tired attempt at extremity and progressiveness, and just flat sucked. These new songs at least sound like honest, direct, melodic power metal songs, and actually much more like what Kamelot ought to be doing.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:18 pm 

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next