Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zephirus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:47 am 

hi
looking for help from some Norwegian residents :)
should be in Norway for a week
we will be self catering, 2 adults. how much can i expect to spend on a weeks shopping ?

what is the cheapest super market?

it will be mainly pasta / rice / eggs maybe some chicken
then milk , cereal etc

thanks

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:38 pm 

Norway is a big place. What cities are you visiting?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:08 am 

Note that I'm not a Norwegian, but since none are posting, maybe I can post something at least slightly helpful.

Norway is expensive, even for a Finn. All Nordic countries are expensive compared to most of Europe, barring Switzerland, but Norway may be the most expensive. Everything in Oslo seems to cost almost 1.5 times what it costs in Helsinki, and Helsinki isn't cheap either. As far as I know, Rema and Riwi are the cheaper supermarkets. Kiosks like Narvesen have ridiculously high prices.

Apparently, a litre of milk is about 15 NOK, which is about 1.5€. I think that should be a reasonably good representation of the overall prices. Alcohol is really dear, so if you want to save money, consider not drinking.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:25 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Note that I'm not a Norwegian, but since none are posting, maybe I can post something at least slightly helpful.

Norway is expensive, even for a Finn. All Nordic countries are expensive compared to most of Europe, barring Switzerland, but Norway may be the most expensive. Everything in Oslo seems to cost almost 1.5 times what it costs in Helsinki, and Helsinki isn't cheap either. As far as I know, Rema and Riwi are the cheaper supermarkets. Kiosks like Narvesen have ridiculously high prices.

Apparently, a litre of milk is about 15 NOK, which is about 1.5€. I think that should be a reasonably good representation of the overall prices. Alcohol is really dear, so if you want to save money, consider not drinking.

My sister was there around ago 6 years ago and I can recall he told me that a normal bear costed like 9 euros or something like that. Just surrealistic.

Norway is a country I would like to visit but its way too expensive for me. I wil stick to those beautiful docummentals, I am afraid.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:34 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:

My sister was there around ago 6 years ago and I can recall he told me that a normal bear costed like 9 euros or something like that. Just surrealistic.

There's a huge difference between prices in bars versus markets. You can probably get a 0.5l can for the NOK equivalent of about 3€ (that's still twice as expensive as Helsinki, despite being legendarily expensive when it comes to alcohol), but it's going to be more than 2x that in any bar or restaurant.

Last edited by hakarl on Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zephirus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:35 am 

i've been told to grab as much beer in duty free when i land, that might have to do me, cant afford to drink in the bars

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:39 pm 

I can confirm. Norway is expensive, no one comes here to buy something cheap, like we do when we do a quick travel to Sweden or Denmark. And tourist areas are even worse.

The cheapest beer I can think of in downtown Oslo is ~5 EUR for a 0.5 litre, and that is only in obscure or student-specific bars.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:52 am 

The most important fact is that everything is expensive. I can live without beer but food is a bigger problema when you want to spend several days in another country. As far as I know its expensive to buy food in Norway and evern more expensive if you want to eat in a restaurant. In fact, when I was in Finland and Sweden I didnt buy/drink alohol because it was a stupid idea. Why should I pay more much more for a beer when I can buy/drink good beers almost anywhere in my area?

Reply to topic