Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
simonitro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:11 am 

Something that I've been noticing, 1998 was such a solid year for metal, in general. There were great quality albums that was released in that particular year that are still being listened till today and considered the best of several bands.

I mean, Blind Guardian released "Nightfall In Middle-Earth" for one and Nightwish made "Oceanborn" but let's take a look at more stuff:

Arch Enemy - Stigmata
Ayreon - Into the Electric Castle
Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle-Earth
Bolt Thrower - Mercenary
Bruce Dickinson - The Chemical Wedding
Cannibal Corpse - Gallery of Suicide
Children of Bodom – Something Wild
Cradle of Filth - Cruelty and the Beast
Death - The Sound of Perseverance
Destruction - The Least Successful Human Cannonball
Devin Townsend - Christeen +4 Demos
Devin Townsend - Infinity
The Dillinger Escape Plan - Under the Running Board
Dimmu Borgir - Godless Savage Garden
Edguy - Vain Glory Opera
Eldritch - El Niño
EverEve - Stormbirds
Fear Factory - Obsolete
Freak Kitchen - Freak Kitchen
HammerFall - Legacy of Kings
Helloween - Better Than Raw
Iced Earth - Something Wicked This Way Comes
Iron Maiden - Virtual XI
Kamelot - Siége Perilous
Katatonia - Discouraged Ones
Krisiun - Apocalyptic Revelation
Yngwie J. Malmsteen - Concerto Suite for Electric Guitar and Orchestra in Em, Opus 1, Double Live!
Mercenary - First Breath
Metal Church - Live
Moonspell - Sin/Pecado
Morbid Angel - Formulas Fatal to the Flesh
Motörhead - Snake Bite Love
My Dying Bride - 34.788%... Complete
Nile - Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka
Opeth - My Arms, Your Hearse
Primal Fear - Primal Fear
Rage - XIII
Rhapsody of Fire - Symphony of Enchanted Lands
Rush - Different Stages
Savatage - The Wake of Magellan
Sentenced - Frozen
Sepultura - Against
Stratovarius - Destiny
Symphony X - Twilight in Olympus
System of a Down - System of a Down
Tankard - Disco Destroyer
The Sins of Thy Beloved - Lake of Sorrow
Theatre of Tragedy - Aégis
Trail of Tears - Disclosure in Red
Tristania - Widow's Weeds

Credit to Wikipedia and trimmed things down... that is still an impressive line-up in metal. While the 90's wasn't particularly kind to thrash but everything else was great. Some of these bands released their best in 1998. Tristania "Widow's Weeds" is an outstanding album.

So, overall, I love 1998 in metal... there could be more but 1998 was awesome. What are your thoughts of Metal in 1998?

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:14 am 

Invictus dude! Invictus!

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:22 am 

Many of those are alright but honestly, "Formulas Fatal to the Flesh", "Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka", "The Sound of Perseverence" & maaaaaybe "Apocalyptic Revelation" are the only albums on the list I would consider masterpieces or even particularly great.

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:02 am 

simonitro wrote:

What?

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:29 am 

A lot of albums I enjoy on that list. Fear Factory's Obsolete is my pick of the bunch. Something Wild came out in 1997 though. Against is dreadful.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:19 am 

I thought Obsolete was 1999, too. Also, with the exception of "resurrection" it was a pretty average album. Sounded like Demanufacture with about half the nutsack - even as a 13 year old I knew that much.

But you're right. Nightfall in Middle Earth, Stigmata, Something Wicked, Frozen, Gallery of Suicide, all great albums. Chemical Wedding was 1998 too, which DEFINITELY deserves a mention if Virtual XI is in there. Also add Jerry Cantrell's Boggy Depot - not 100% metal but tons of metal moments and one of the most miserable, dirgiest bits of sludge he put out. Probably tons more albums I can't think of right now hey.

Electric Death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:35 am 

Not metal and not an album but DEP's Under The Running Board was awesome. Calculating Infinity (1999) was heavily influenced by Death's Sound of Perseverance (1998) apparently and wanted to pull off a hardcore equivalent.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:39 am 

A whole bunch of total shit albums on that list as well.

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:51 am 

^ That's pretty much my knee-jerk as well though I am pretty fond of Nile's debut. It isn't their best, but it's about as catchy or catchier than anything else they've put out, and I enjoy the shorter runtime compared to some longer efforts of theirs.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:42 am 

You're forgetting Gorguts' Obscura, too.

You've mentioned a few good albums there. Nile's debut and Formulas Fatal to the Flesh are pretty good. I liked Obsolete, as well, but it's certainly not Fear Factory's best.

A few others I might mention:

Behemoth - Pandemonic Incantations
Really works as a last black metal album. You can hear the band moving away from their grim early days.

Cryptopsy - Whisper Supremacy
Some people dislike this, but I think it's a really awesome, batshit crazy album. Plenty of riffs and it's a punishing half hour, but I quite like this.

Dawn - Slaughtersun
It's been ages since I've heard this, but it's really solid.

Gorgasm - Stabwound Intercourse
Really solid EP from what is now a staple band in brutal death metal.

Meshuggah - Chaosphere
Their most intense album, and not something they've been able to recreate. Every song wins and it's incredibly heavy.

Pessimist - Ignorace
Amazing prog/death metal.

Unholy - Rapture
My favourite album from them. Catchy death/doom.

Anyway, I thought we weren't going to do this thread until next year. :P

blackmantram wrote:
simonitro wrote:

What?

Haha, yeah, that is a trainwreck of an album. :lol:

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:29 am 

To be honest with you, the only album on that list that I find slightly good is the Opeth one. The rest is just ... not for me.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:57 am 

I like mid to late 90s metal. I think it has something to do with metal being at a low point commercially, so the bands who were still going really just did whatever the fuck they wanted.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:32 am 

I can only think of a few albums from 1998 that I like, but wouldn't even rate too high. Formulas Fatal to the Flesh, Invictus and The Supreme Force of Eternity are all albums I'd give about a 80% score.

Norrmania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:53 am 

I'm pretty bad at remembering exact years of albums released, but I'm not sure 1998 was necessarily better than any other given year of the late 90's? But I did think of a few that weren't on the list that personally I enjoyed, or that were in some way sub-genre/niche-defining.

Some of them are:

Primordial - A Journey's End, the album where the band really found their sound and kicked off a career of nothing but top class albums.
Aeternus - ...And So the Night Became, one of the two top albums of the band's career (the other being Beyond the Wandering Moon). The band never came close to either album again.
Nifelheim - Devil's Force, fucking awesome follow-up album for them and still one of the best black/thrash albums out there.
Sorcier des glaces - Snowland, the first black metal with what could be called a distinct Québec atmosphere. Such a frigid and raw album, but melodic and really beautiful in its own way.
Nocturnal Rites - Tales of Mystery and Imagination, the best Nocturnal Rites album.
Carpathian Forest - Black Shining Leather, the band's debut and the one that started to plant the seeds for their black n' roll style.
Amon Amarth - Once Sent From the Golden Hall, AA launched their debut that year. Friends of the Suncross, Victorious March, Ride for Vengeance...fuck this whole album was great. Modern AA should be looking backwards.
Grave Digger - Knights of the Cross, one of many awesome albums from this era of the band's discography
Ofermod - Mysterion Tes Anomias, whether you like "Orthodox bm" or not this EP is basically where the niche started.

I guess again for me who isn't great at remembering what was released when, its not so much that '98 was a great or even good year for metal. There were certainly some great albums that came out no doubt. I mean I think if you look at black metal it's not necessarily that the "eras" can be easily carved out, but many of the early Norwegian black metal "giants" were either past their peak or in a decline, and black metal bands influenced by the early scene were recording their own albums that would influence a great deal of 2000s black metal. For example, Windir recorded their first two albums in the late '90s despite not releasing anything in '98, Taake began releasing full-lengths, Nokturnal Mortum started releasing full-lengths lighting a fire in the Ukrainian scene, then you had Ofermod come out with the EP that would directly influence the early 2000s "orthodox" bands, to name a few.

Then outside of black metal you could also consider the late 90's to be the time that power metal started to experience renewed mainstream metal popularity with new (and now major) bands springing up. And whether or not you like folk metal, you can definitely look to the final years of the 90's as critical to the rise of folk metal.

As for the list you posted, most of it is not my cup of tea, but I agree with Blind Guardian's Nightfall in Middle Earth, Nightwish's Oceanborn, Children of Bodom's Something Wild, Helloween's Better Than Raw, Krisiun's Apocalyptic Revelation for sure, Morbid Angle's Formulas (though definitely not my fave MA album), Nile's Amongst the Catacombs, Strato's Destiny, and Tristania's Widow's Weeds as albums I liked for sure. Edit to add that I do like Bolt Thrower's Mercenary, some nice straight forward and catchy tracks on there like Zeroed and No Guts No Glory, but can't be counted as one of the band's best for sure

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:06 am 

The crowning album of 1998 has to be, without a doubt, Return to Heaven Denied by Labyrinth. Absolutely masterful power/prog, and one of the cornerstones of the genre to this day.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:10 am 

simonitro wrote:
Credit to Wikipedia and trimmed things down... that is still an impressive line-up in metal.

Why use Wikipedia, when you'll find way more and way more impressive stuff on this site? Wikipedia is close to worthless as a metal guide.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:30 am 

new dark age by solstice is from 1998 too, thats enough to make the most nu metal ridden of years not bad.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:13 am 

Upon reviewing an old RYM list I made long ago, 1998 was actually kinda "meh". At least compared to '97 or '96.

On the positive side, we got Evoken's debut album and not one, not two, but three awesome Paysage d'Hiver releases! :)

MorbidEarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:58 am 

I'm of the opinion that the second half of the 1990s was considerably weaker for metal than the first half was. That said, 1998 wasn't too bad. Solid efforts from Amon Amarth, Bolt Thrower, Death, Helloween, Meshuggah, Morbid Angel, Nightwish and Opeth. I'd say 1999 edges it as the best year from the latter part of the decade but both were considerably stronger than 1996 which must surely be one of the poorest years for the genre.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:21 pm 

I'm puzzled by this original list. There's a lot of famous names on it, but a fair number of these albums are not very well regarded, some of them considered among the weakest in a band's discography, and some being regarded as terrible.

Crescent_Moon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:29 pm 

Good year for metal anyway. Here's my favorites list:
Aeternus - And So The Night Became
Agathodaimon - Blacken the Angel
Athena - A New Religion?
Beseech - From A Bleeding Heart
Enslaved - Blodhemn
Borknagar - The Archaic Course
Catamenia - Halls Of Frozen North
Darkwoods My Betrothed - Witch-Hunts
Runemagick - Supreme Force Of Eternity

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:38 pm 

Looking at my CD collection, I can only find a few good releases from 1998:

Axel Rudi Pell - Oceans of Time. My first ARP album, and so far my favorite. Though his discography is vast and I have relatively little of it.
Pagan Altar - Volume 1. First CD release of their 1982 demo tape. Don't know if that counts or not.
Sheavy - Electric Sleep. Good Sabbath-like stoner metal. I don't think this is their best album though. It was my introduction to them, however.

And, as someone above mentioned, Solstice's New Dark Age.

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:19 pm 

Exactly which of these albums listed in the top are considered the best of the bands discographies?

Of course there were some good albums that year here and there, but come on, the later 90's were terrible for most bands established during the 80's or early 90's, or for some genres in general, like thrash for instance.

NTT
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:54 pm 

My top 10 from that year...

Sinner - The Nature of Evil (hands down Mat's best album)
Running Wild - The Rivalry
Bolt Thrower - Mercenary
King Diamond - Voodoo
U.D.O. - No Limits
Primal Fear - s/t
Hammerfall - Legacy of Kings
Motorhead - Snake Bite Love (prob my 2nd favorite MH behind Bastards)
Mercyful Fate - Dead Again
Tarot - For the Glory of Nothing

The Crazy Old School Music Fan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:05 pm 

What I think is the best stuff here. From the original:
Spoiler: show
Bolt Thrower - Mercenary
Death - The Sound of Perseverance
HammerFall - Legacy of Kings
Morbid Angel - Formulas Fatal to the Flesh
Nile - Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka
Opeth - My Arms, Your Hearse

From the rest of the replies:

Aeternus - And So The Night Became
Arghoslent - Galloping Through The Battle Ruins
Dawn - Slaughtersun
Evoken - Embrace The Emptiness
Gorguts - Obscura
Nifelheim - Devil's Force
Skepticism - Lead and Aether
Sorcier des Glaces - Snowland

My nominations:
Adramelech - Seven (EP)
Agalloch - 1998 Promo Tape (Demo)
Frozen Shadows - Dans les Bras des Immortels
Incantation - Diabolical Conquest
Nox Intempesta - Damnanus - Dominum
Order From Chaos - An Ending In Fire
Veles - Black Hateful Metal

Everything over 4.5/5?
Adramelech - Seven (EP)
Morbid Angel - Formulas Fatal To The Flesh
Order From Chaos - An Ending In Fire
Skepticism - Lead And Aether
Sorcier des Glaces - Snowland

Everything else is below 4.5/5, and only a few of these are over 4/5. I didn't include any that I feel are below a 3.5/5 though, lots of stuff lower than 3.5/5 from 1998 though.

Last edited by The Crazy Old School Music Fan on Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:20 pm 

I think you could pick any year and come up with several great metal albums, but I'm not really sure I'd consider 1998 to be a great year relative to the rest of metal's existence. Death metal and black metal had both past their commercial and creative peaks, thrash was still largely non-existent (and the two well-regarded bands of that era, Dekapitator and Hypnosia, wouldn't release anything until the next two years), traditional heavy metal also wasn't doing very well, and Euro power metal was only just beginning to take off (I'd say 1998-2004 was probably its peak). There's certainly good stuff from 1998, but I can find good stuff in any year.

Zelkiiro wrote:
The crowning album of 1998 has to be, without a doubt, Return to Heaven Denied by Labyrinth. Absolutely masterful power/prog, and one of the cornerstones of the genre to this day.

Definitely a classic, and an album that doesn't get enough appreciation outside of only the most diehard power metal fans.

Intraum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:47 am 

here are some of my faves from good ol' 98

Arghoslent - Galloping Through the Battle Ruins
Gorguts - Obscura
Incantation - Diabolical Conquest
Dodheimsgard - Satanic Art EP
Skepticism - Lead and Aether
The Chasm - Deathcult for Eternity
Desaster - Hellfire's Dominion
Nasum - Inhale/Exhale
Soilent Green - Sewn Mouth Secrets
Dawn - Slaughtersun
Suffocation - Despise the Sun EP
Evoken - Embrace the Emptiness
Crowbar - Odd Fellows Rest

Peyp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:26 am 

Unfortunately, I actually didn't find much of that year that I have listened to, but these are my personal favorites from this year, descending. Bold titles are ones that haven't been mentioned yet:

Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle Earth (one of the classics for power metal and a must listen to)
Dawn - Slaughtersun (really good black metal in the same vein as Dissection and Vinterland)
Forest - Foredooming the Hope for All Eternity (unfortunately related to the NSBM community, but a good atmospheric black album nonetheless)
Odium - The Sad Realm of the Stars (a really good early symphonic black album. Also, Limbonic Art's Morfeus made the cover art!)

lordcatfish wrote:
Something Wild came out in 1997 though.
Due to the unfortunate reality of our guitarist fucking my girlfriend of almost 7 years WITCHROT will be taking an extended hiatus. I however will continue the band in another space and time... Thanks for the support, stay heavy. Also our drummer died...

RIP DIAMHEA

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:11 am 

I had to check my iTunes, but it turns out that a couple of my favorites are from 1998.

A Canorous Quintet - The Only Pure Hate. Actually, the only album of theirs that I really enjoy. But damn, it's a good one.
Anata - The Infernal Depths of Hatred. Maybe a coincidence, but also the only album of theirs that I like.
Meshuggah - Chaosphere. Also the only album... this does not bode well for 1998 actually. Or maybe it does. Bands that I don't listen to in general put out something that got my attention.

So yeah, I guess 1998 was pretty good. Of course, there was also Virtual XI, which I bet even Steve Harris wishes he could forget.

Wombface
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:34 am 

Have to mention Clone from Threshold which was the first album with Mac and simply a masterpiece.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:27 am 

Can't believe I missed Slaughtersun.... that's not just an album, it's a Tunguska-level event.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:41 am 

Pretty much my last year in contemporary metal releases:

Dickinson, Borkanagar, Cryptopsy, Dimmy Borgir, Gorguts, Opeth, Death, Helloween, My Dying Bride, Stratovarius, Sentenced, Therion (Vovin!), Katatonia (Brave Murder Day to me was a 1998 album)..

my soundtrack to 1998 and some of 1999.

Also The Gathering and Evereve, though also delayed

For a while after that, no more metal.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:50 am 

GTog wrote:
Anata - The Infernal Depths of Hatred. Maybe a coincidence, but also the only album of theirs that I like.

Really? I thought they got better, and their last two albums, and especially the last one, hit the spot.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:24 am 

MikeyC wrote:
GTog wrote:

Really? I thought they got better, and their last two albums, and especially the last one, hit the spot.

i think if i had to pick just one, i'd also say the last one is the best, but really i love everything they've ever done, including the demos

as for the topic at hand - like many have mentioned earlier, you can pick any year and list a bunch of good/great albums from it, but compared to other years, i really don't see how '98 is more than average at best (in the context of metal). also, the op list is pretty much just a list of fairly big name bands that happened to release an album that year; many of which are fucking terrible

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:49 am 

Blackthrash had quite a good year, with Aura Noir - Deep Tracts of Hell, Desaster - Hellfire's Dominion, and Nifelheim - Devil's Force all springing to mind.

TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:57 am 

On that matter, what do the power metal folks around here think about Rage - XIII? I was never too sure about that album, but does have some great moments like Overture + From The Cradle To The Grave, Days of December, In Vain, and I also like the Rolling Stones cover...
"Of Terror and the Supernatural by Temple of Void is miles ahead of It's midnight in Neverland and I can't get my dick out of this unicorn; Volume 8 by Nightwish in both the amount of heaviness and lack of keyboards."

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:49 am 

1998 was a most excellent year for Powerviolence too. Real Reggae, Hellnation, Fuck On The Beach, The Locust, DS-13, Capitalist Casualties and Burned Up Bled Dry all put stuff out.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:48 am 

afaik black metal was at its commercial peak around 98 with bands like Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir doing v well. Now ofcourse this was also the worst thing in black metal history and a bunch of really good albums released in 1998 never managed to get any of the lasting attention stature that earlier bm got like Aeternus or Dawn to name 2.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:03 am 

Revisiting that list, I mean there's really more god awful albums than even decent 3,5/5 ones. Boggles the mind, really.

The '98 albums for me have pretty much been said here.

Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle-Earth
Gorguts - Obscura
Dawn - Slaughtersun
Primordial - A Journey's End
Grand Belial's Key - Mocking the Philanthropist
Angelcorpse - Exterminate
Arghoslent - Galloping Through the Battle Ruins
Arcane Sun - Arcane Sun

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:00 pm 

Skepticism released Lead and Aether that year, and I saw someone mention Evoken. Embrace The Emptiness is a great album!

Other than that, not much else from 1998 in terms of funeral doom. Raven (pre Shape of Despair) released a promo. Nortt released a demo. HellLight's first demo was released that year as well.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next