Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:11 am 

My punk band is about to release its debut full-length.

What are some alternative/extreme based blogs/zines to send it to in order to get reviewed?

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:26 pm 

there's a pile of stuff out there. I'd suggest searching something like this in google:

"[band you like/sounds similar to you] album review" etc etc

Bookmark every sites submissions/contact page and start compiling a list. Might be worth starting up a spreadsheet to keep track the places you've sent to. Make a note of which places actually review the album too.
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

WitHHolder
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:25 pm 

please be careful though, reviews have power. Don't rush to get a review from someone who wouldn't be able to appreciate your content. For example, if the person does not like the intentionally poor sound quality of certain black metal, don't ask him to review your Ildjarn worship band.'s new release.

It's not only not fair to you, it's unfair to people that would have otherwise enjoyed your content. The truth is that the number grade before the '%' on a review has more impact on someones initial impression than it ever should. Even if your reviewer outlines in the review the fact that he's not into the grainy quality that he's sure others really dig, a portion of people will always skip that and notice the score. I'm sure we've all been guilty of this one way or another.

Also, while on the topic, I wish hell had a place for the people that write fake praising reviews for their own music pretending to be a 3rd party. That's some low ass despicable shit, and I've seen hipsters on this site do it. Basically the moral equivalent of being a valor stealing cure-all peddler preying on the helpless sick, who saves his farts in a jar all day only to go home and open the jar and breathe deep when he's about to climax after sucking his own dick. That's just my two cents worth of an opinion though. Good luck.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:31 pm 

WitHHolder wrote:
please be careful though, reviews have power. Don't rush to get a review from someone who wouldn't be able to appreciate your content. For example, if the person does not like the intentionally poor sound quality of certain black metal, don't ask him to review your Ildjarn worship band.'s new release.

And be careful spamming promos to just any site. Unless you don't care about your stuff ending up all over torrent sites in 24 hours.

Marras
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:28 pm 

MawBTS wrote:
And be careful spamming promos to just any site. Unless you don't care about your stuff ending up all over torrent sites in 24 hours.

I would consider that being a positive thing.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:44 pm 

Marras wrote:

It's okay if your goal is to get in front of as many ears as possible.

But your sales will instantly stop.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:28 am 

MawBTS wrote:
Marras wrote:

It's okay if your goal is to get in front of as many ears as possible.

But your sales will instantly stop.

If you're talking about major commercial releases, torrenting probably does hurt sales considerably, but in this case, exposure via free downloads is only going to increase them, if there was any potential for sales to be had in the first place. People will blind-buy the next Incantation or Asphyx album, but when they discover a new band with nothing but a minor debut release, they're going to want to hear it first.

In any case, it's not a smart move to squeeze out as many sales as possible from a minor debut release. It's much better to work for maximal exposure, even at the cost of receiving almost no money from the release, and work for notoriety and an actual fanbase. If you're successful, maybe your second or third release will already have a realistic chance of bringing some revenue.

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:52 am 

Some advice that was given to me a few years ago was that you have a much higher chance of your release getting reviewed if you send a physical copy to the blog/zine. Always put a sticker saying "promo on the copies you send out, you can print those yourself for petty cheap with A4 sheets of mail labels. You can always make a cd-r version if you cant send them one of the normal versions, but make it look like you did more than burn the cd-r and write the name with a sharpie on it, use those mail stickers on an A4 and print the release name and "promo" on the line below it to put on the cd-rs so they know what is on the disc and it doesn't get lost, then find some clear cd sleeves for it and make a fold with the album art on front and the back of the tray insert on the back of the album. That's how a lot of bands and musicians make promos to give to blogs/zines and leave at record stores to get their name out, it may sound tacky at first but it stands out far more than another .zip folder that other people probably email the blogs/zines.

Black/Doom label and distro(all metal genres)
http://www.temptationsofresonance.com

Reply to topic