* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Rosner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:31 am 

Spoiler: show
Quote:
U.K. gothic metal pioneers PARADISE LOST are putting the finishing touches on their new album, recorded at Orgone Studios in the misty countryside of Woburn, England. Together with producer Jaime Gomez Arellano, they have forged the follow-up to their highly acclaimed release "The Plague Within" (2015), which brought them a step closer to their death metal roots. This time, PARADISE LOST will haunt their fans with a heavy, doom-ridden monster, as lead guitarist and songwriter Greg Mackintosh reveals. "The new album will be slower, sludgier and more doom-filled than ever before," he said. "Eight riff-laden monster tracks of sheer Northern misery."

PARADISE LOST's fifteenth studio album, titled "Medusa", will see the light of day at the end of summer via Nuclear Blast. As some might know, Medusa is considered a hideous Gorgon in Greek mythology — a winged female monster with living venomous snakes in place of hair and everyone who dares taking a look at her will immediately turn to stone.

Formed in Halifax, West Yorkshire in 1988 and still boasting four of its five original members, PARADISE LOST is widely credited with co-founding the gothic metal genre with its sophomore album, "Gothic" (1991). Through the years, PARADISE LOST has changed its style effectively and reinvented itself again and again. They elbowed their way from their original melodic death metal sound on their debut, "Lost Paradise" (1990) to the classic "Icon" (1993) and more experimental "One Second" (1997). Finally they went back to the roots with their most recent release, "The Plague Within", achieving some of the best reviews of their career.

In a 2015 interview with Isolation Grind, Holmes stated about "The Plague Within"'s heavier sound compared to that on some of PARADISE LOST's earlier albums: "We just tried to capture the spirit of the old days without forgetting everything else that has happened over the last 20 years. I don't think the album is back to our roots as such, as we couldn't have written an album like this 25 years ago."

Nick also talked about the progression of PARADISE LOST's sound, calling it "just evolution. Certain albums have taken us in significant directions, I guess 'Icon' was probably the first album to do that, and we continued that style until 'One Second'. It's too early to see if ['The Plague Within'] will be a new progression."

PARADISE LOST 2017 is:

Nick Holmes - Vocals
Greg Mackintosh - Lead Guitars
Aaron Aedy - Rhythm Guitars
Steve Edmondson - Bass
Waltteri Väyrynen - Drums

Source: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/paradi ... is-summer/

What do you think? I'm a big Paradise Lost fan, but I think this may be a bit too early: they usually take longer to release another album, and the Plague Within will be very hard to top. However, maybe they are really inspired and they have written eight killer tracks. The only uninspired and almost cliché thing is the title... But well, it could really work if it is accompanied by a really good artwork. One other thing that I'm not really sure about is the musical approach they will be trying with this one. If every song is like 'Beneath Broken Earth' I'll be pleased, but I also expect at least a couple of mellower and melodic songs in there. Also, I hope Vallenfyre's sound does not affect Paradise Lost sound in general.

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:43 am 

Sounds promising! I always wished for them to slow down and go more doom, so this is very welcome.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:50 am 

always welcome some new PL, I'm with Helvede, I hope it's slower and doomier and melodic. very hopeful!

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:05 pm 

Can't wait! I suspect going in more of a death metal direction would be a bit too predictable after The Plague Within. Eight tracks seems interesting though...considering the last three albums featured ten tracks I suspect the average length on these tunes would be quite longer.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:02 pm 

Can't wait! The description definitely makes it sound like a new direction for the band which is great to see. Hopefully Nick sticks to the death growls, though. If you ask me they sound way better than the hoarse, shouting style he did on "In Requiem" and "Faith Divides Us...".

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:47 pm 

Oh fuck yeah!!!!! Bring it!!!! And a proper US tour too please!

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:50 am 

It'd be interesting if they just laid down Host II and released it, to the consternation of musical journalists everywhere !

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:50 am 

^ It probably would chart huge right next to Sia or Lorde because there is a ton of pop songs now that use the same moody key progression that is featured in Host. They were only 15 years too early.

stefan86
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:58 am 

I really liked "The Plague Within", so I'm on board

Add me on last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/stefan86

~Guest 394415
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:36 am 

Last edited by ~Guest 394415 on Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:09 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
^ It probably would chart huge right next to Sia or Lorde because there is a ton of pop songs now that use the same moody key progression that is featured in Host. They were only 15 years too early.

Paradise Lost - Electro-pop pioneers - is exactly how I'm describing them when people ask 'who's that then ?'

If nothing else, the eventual first listen of 'Rotting Misery' might expand some minds.

red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:15 pm 

Good news, a new PL album is always good news
Not hearsay but the will of man

RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:22 pm 

One of my favorite bands. Really uninspired album title, but they've really re-hit their stride over the course of their last four albums, so I'm expecting greatness.
Death metal is eternal.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:28 am 

"The new album will be slower, sludgier and more doom-filled than ever before," he said. "Eight riff-laden monster tracks of sheer Northern misery."

I don´t know what to expect when they describe the cd as "sludgier" but I hope it retains the variety and combination of growls/cleans of the last one. I think it worked pretty well.

arnvidr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:07 am 

How is a title referencing a specific mythical figure "uninspired"? Every album can't be named "The Snake-Haired One"

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:57 am 

They said on Facebook this album was going to be much heavier then the last and by the way Nick was talking it will still feature growling.

There was also a small clip of Greg playing guitar and it sounded immense

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:46 pm 

arnvidr wrote:
How is a title referencing a specific mythical figure "uninspired"? Every album can't be named "The Snake-Haired One"

It's the culture of online commenting to assume that everything simple is uninspired, lazy, etc.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:16 am 

Paradise Lost has increasingly become one of my favorite bands. They vary the music, but consistently churn out great tunes. I love it. Plague Within is an outstanding album, so I hope they're just "on a roll" with their creativity and drive right now. But more than that, I hope this new album is quickly followed by a tour, because I really want to see them.

So... HYPED.

treebeard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:07 pm 

Looking forward to this. Been getting more and more into them the past few weeks.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:10 pm 

DAMN IT. every time this thread gets bumped i think a song is leaked lol

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:26 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
DAMN IT. every time this thread gets bumped i think a song is leaked lol

That would be pretty sweet.

Sorry, there's no song in here.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:56 pm 

Still no new song, but in this interview we get some more info about the upcoming album. First of all, as far as general style is concerned, Gregor claims it will be a mix of "Shades of God" and "Gothic". Furthermore, the album will begin with an 8-minute long epic, and according to the interviewer who I'm assuming has heard a promo or something, only two songs on the album will feature clean vocals (and they are in the middle of the album, end of Side A and beginning of Side B), and there will also seems to be an "experimental track" (I'm assuming one of the aforementioned two) that will recall the band's late 90's output.

Now, these kind of pre-reviews always need to be taken with a grain of salt (I remember hearing similar stuff about the death metal elements on MDB's "Feel the Misery" which turned out to be a huge exaggeration even if the record was still great), for example there is probably more clean singing than just those two tracks, but I think we can rest assured this album will continue from where "The Plague Within" left off.

If you watch the video, please look out for the loop of "Angel Tears" that plays for the entire 25+ minute video :lol:...anyway here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMEuCGuS0wA

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:11 pm 

I stumbled upon that interview yesterday. Now I'm not expecting the band to go into a Gothic/Shades of God direction again, but I am interested in hearing that 8 and half minute opener.

Btw, the new album will be out September 1st.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:36 am 

true_death wrote:
Still no new song, but in this interview we get some more info about the upcoming album. First of all, as far as general style is concerned, Gregor claims it will be a mix of "Shades of God" and "Gothic". Furthermore, the album will begin with an 8-minute long epic, and according to the interviewer who I'm assuming has heard a promo or something, only two songs on the album will feature clean vocals (and they are in the middle of the album, end of Side A and beginning of Side B), and there will also seems to be an "experimental track" (I'm assuming one of the aforementioned two) that will recall the band's late 90's output.

Now, these kind of pre-reviews always need to be taken with a grain of salt (I remember hearing similar stuff about the death metal elements on MDB's "Feel the Misery" which turned out to be a huge exaggeration even if the record was still great), for example there is probably more clean singing than just those two tracks, but I think we can rest assured this album will continue from where "The Plague Within" left off.

If you watch the video, please look out for the loop of "Angel Tears" that plays for the entire 25+ minute video :lol:...anyway here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMEuCGuS0wA

Nick seems to be loosing hair very fastly haha. Apart from that, the description sounds really,realy interesting. Ahh september can´t come so enough!

Somnia1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:22 am 

We can now announce that our new album »Medusa« will be released on 1st September via Nuclear Blast!
───────
The album artwork was created by Branca Studio and shows the infamous Gorgone, Medusa, from Greek mythology, carrying venomous snakes as hair and turning everyone into stone who would dare to look into her eyes.

∙ Greg Mackintosh: "Whilst we were writing »Medusa« and realising what the new songs were becoming, we had to find an artist to reflect this direction. After searching around for a while, I found Branca Studios. They have a keen eye for design and their modern take on retro artwork really fit the bill. What they have come up with is a blending of colourful yet retro styling, whilst maintaining the classic PARADISE LOST feel."

∙ Nick Holmes: "I was intrigued about a greater meaning and thinking more along the lines of what Medusa represents metaphorically. Medusa as a title works in many ways. From a nihilist perspective, when I read the description of 'medusa' on the wikipedia page: 'Attempts to avoid looking into Medusa's eyes represents avoiding the ostensibly depressing reality that the universe is meaningless' - the title was pretty much in the bag!"

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:25 am 

Looks like something from a stoner / doom band.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:41 am 

looks cheap/crap :( the pink is a nice nod to Candlemass tho :p so I'm hopeful...

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:03 am 

OzzyApu wrote:

They are partly a doom band.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:03 am 

I think it looks alright. Better than, say, the cover artwork that Tragic Idol had.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:08 am 

I loved the tragic idol artwork, and that's all I loved on that album :/

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:19 am 

Cool artwork!

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:49 am 

OzzyApu wrote:

Absolutely, the textures of the different colours remind me those stoner-doom bands, not a great fan of this artwork but it's not bad either.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:36 am 

would be way better without logo/title. love the pink!

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:51 pm 

true_death wrote:

There's something in that interview that really caught my attention and boosted my curiosity:
When they talked about how the plague within was a "huge success" and then the interviewer asks for "expectations" to Greg (btw, what happened to his gloomy looks) he says he "has no expectations" which is something that makes sense for me in metal, I mean, back in the 80's when metal was sort of big, there were actual sales expectations and people were talking about being a rockstar and stuff so it was easy to talk about success, but I think that's not the case anymore, so that's were my questions begin to raise, do bands still measure success based solely on album and gig sales or there are more variables in the set? and what are the current "real" expectations of metal musicians about their music? I mean, I don't think as a metal musician you are expecting to grab serious cash with your music, you have some other goals, like creating the music you like, sending a message, do it as a hobbie.
I understand Paradise Lost is among the better-known names in metal so I think they must sell well i guess? Also, do bands publish their revenues information? In this particular case how did they know tha plague within was a huge success?

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:33 pm 

Love the artwork! Really looking forward to this release! Funny to see some hate for Tragic Idol on here. I think that is by far one of their best records. Greg's solos on that disc are fucking amazing and the songs are really great too.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:04 am 

conquer__all wrote:
Love the artwork! Really looking forward to this release! Funny to see some hate for Tragic Idol on here. I think that is by far one of their best records. Greg's solos on that disc are fucking amazing and the songs are really great too.

It's a good album for sure. Like a mix of the styles heard on "Icon" and "Draconian Times" with none of the heavier, extreme metal-influenced style heard on the previous two albums..."Worth Fighting For" has always been a favorite of mine! That said, I'm glad they decided to take a risk and change it up a bit with "The Plague Within" because I'm not sure I could've handled a fourth (or fifth if you count the self-titled) album in that general style...

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:10 am 

conquer__all wrote:

Its indeed a very good album but for some reason it sounds too similar to the previous ones and I felt(at that time) that the band needed to make a step forward, which happened with "Plague Within".

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:50 am 

I agree. The plague Within was the step in the right direction. Hopefully Medusa will be the next. Nice going about Tragic Idol was they dropped the keyboard intros and synth wave shit that was getting old since their mid to late 90s releases.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:02 am 

In this interview Gregor talks about his influences (he has great taste), but also mentions a bit about the new album:

Quote:
“And it was really because with the last record [2015’s The Plague Within], the final song we wrote for it was called Beneath Broken Earth. And it was the big doom metal song. But it just turned out way better than we expected and we just loved playing it live. It made us think, we should do a full album of this stuff. We haven’t done anything like this in so long. It was kind of refreshing to do, and it gives you room to breathe and try things out.”

http://www.musicradar.com/news/gregor-m ... ew-my-mind

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:35 pm 

we'll see...

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next