Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Shiroyama
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:27 pm 

Of course it depends on the style you play or listen(It would be very strange to see the viking metal band talking about lyrics that sing in the glam metal)
Personally I like to write or hear songs about facts of what you read his history and both: impress you or displease you, but never leave you indifferent. When you read it and say "seriously this happened? It can not be"

The last lyric I wrote was about the case of Christine Chubbuck. When I read about his story, I was thinking how shocking it would be to see suicide on a newscast, when you never expected it to see that kind of things in TV. What things were going through his head and if I really think about the impact that would cause his sad descision.

The only lyrics that I prefer to pass are those of related bands or Satanism or on the other side, Christianity.

I dont like that kind of things...I went in a very reiligious secondary and dont, thanks.

But I want to read your comments: what kind of lyrics do you prefer to listen to in a band?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:06 pm 

I take lyrics separately from the music that's being performed under it. So I read each as if it's poetry. I like lyrics that are interestingly assembled they don't have to be about any particular subject matter. Not saying I don't like lyrics that are massive repeating sections over and over. Just if I'm going to sit and read them it's usually something that peaks my interest.

RRMustaineRR
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:45 pm 

I like lyrics that make the listener think. So something vague or arcane like Celtic Frost or Cathedral. The meaning is best described as subjective, a la its up to the listener to decide its true meaning. Have a bit of mystery to them.

WeirdoYYY
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:36 am 

I find what makes lyrics "corny" is when less experienced people use mundane language and use poor metaphors. Unlike in genres like punk, rock, folk, etc, where the music can be far more direct and personal, I expect metal to be of a much higher caliber in a linguistic sense. It doesn't need to be esoteric but it needs to have some sort of fist-in-the-air raw impact that you only get when you actually read and don't just pull crap from your feefees.

I really liked Pete Helmkamp's lyrics on the Abhomine record he put out. Musically it may not be his absolute peak but lyrically he's got some great lines. Really not that complicated but they just sound pleasing to read and that's sort of what I am talking about.

Flood the tunnels to flush out the rats

squidrick9042
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:49 am 

I like lyrics that can also be read as a form of dark narrative poetry. Dissection's Where Dead Angels Lie is a great example of this as it reads very well but also helps enhance the atmosphere of the song itself. I also kinda like cheesy over the top Satanic lyrics like Black Witchery or Nunslaughter but I don't hold them in high regard in a literary sense. Stuff I don't care for is your standard gore lyrics like Cannibal Corpse or Dying Fetus which is fun but often reads like a teenager writing a bad b-rate horror movie. I also don't care for the "pizza thrash" lyrics which in my opinion don't really have any substance to them.

Here are the lyrics to the Dissection song to help explain what I am talking about with the dark narrative poetry thing:
Spoiler: show
In the dawn an angel was dancing
sorrounded by an aura of light
But in the shadows something was watching
and with patience awaiting the night
Angel whispers: "Mournful night, attractive night,
your dark beauty obsesses me"
An angel bewitched by the shadows
Seduced by the whispering lies

[Chorus:]
A spell was cast an the sky turned red
The angel's heart froze to ice
The blackness that falls is coming to stay
Under the snow lies angels so cold

Dusk has passed and a cold morning breeze,
is sweeping all over the plain,
On the ground lies an angel with skin so pale,
On her face an image of pain,
Snow is now falling to the frozen ground,
The angel is covered by white,
Frost is spreading across the plain,
to welcome the eternal night.

The dress is white with crystals of ice
and frozen roses so red
Roses of blood from an innocent soul
On the plain lies an angel dead

In the gloomy sky black clouds were gathering
The silence was broken by cries
In the gloomy sky - The silence where dead angels lie

Touch the snow...Caress the lifeless sculptures
Die!!!

The blackness that falls is coming to stay,
Under the snow lies angels so cold,
Yet with each crystal of frost that is falling,
another story is told,
A spell was cast an the sky turned red,
The angel's heart froze to ice,
In the gloomy sky - The silence where dead angels lie.

solstice779
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:49 pm 

Not sure how to describe it, but my favorite probably has to be the style of writing employed by Tomas Haake for Meshuggah. The way they describe the topic at hand - whether it be something as seemingly simple/concrete as bullets (Lethargica) or something as broad as the human desire for tragedy (The Violent Sleep of Reason) - is absolutely incredible. It baffles me how well Haake writes given he is not a native English speaker. I've learned dozens of words from Meshuggah.

lloyd93
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:07 pm 

anything with odinism like absurd
or about killing shit like devourment

tangytoby
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:06 am 

squidrick9042 wrote:
Stuff I don't care for is your standard gore lyrics like Cannibal Corpse or Dying Fetus which is fun but often reads like a teenager writing a bad b-rate horror movie. I also don't care for the "pizza thrash" lyrics which in my opinion don't really have any substance to them.

[/spoiler]

What, dying fetus writes almost exclusively about politics

squidrick9042
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:27 pm 

tangytoby wrote:
squidrick9042 wrote:
Stuff I don't care for is your standard gore lyrics like Cannibal Corpse or Dying Fetus which is fun but often reads like a teenager writing a bad b-rate horror movie. I also don't care for the "pizza thrash" lyrics which in my opinion don't really have any substance to them.

[/spoiler]

What, dying fetus writes almost exclusively about politics

I don't listen to them enough to realize that so my bad haha. Sadly, politics are probably my least favorite musical topic.

Reply to topic