Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
LordEuronymous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:01 am 

I have a double jack, a MIDI to USB cable, and I need a little help. I half-achieved this, but it would only work if I had the microphone input on listen to this device. Is there something I'm doing wrong, is it even possible to achieve what I'm trying to do?

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:41 am 

Are you asking about recording audio from your keyboard? If so, then yes. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "microphone input on listen". Do you have an audio interface, or a soundcard with inputs on it?

Anyway, recording is straightforward. Details below. I record directly into the playlist rather than using the Edison plugin, though that can be useful if you plan on doing a bunch of edits to your recorded audio.

https://www.image-line.com/support/FLHe ... _audio.htm

LordEuronymous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:02 pm 

I just need to know if I can use my keyboard sounds themselves for notes, not making audio clips just directly through an input. I am using my soundcard and just need to know if there's a way to get the very sounds from my keyboard to be used in FL Studio for creating notes.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:11 pm 

I'm still not quite clear on what you mean. If you want the sounds from your keyboard to be heard in FL you need audio input.

Are you talking about using FL to trigger notes from your keyboard? Because yes, google MIDI implementation in FLStudio. Or do you just want to program notes into the piano roll or step sequencer like you would with a VST, but they would play sound from your keyboard? If that's the case, also yes, you'd just need to record a note at C, put that bit of audio into a sampler and program away. Though I'd suggest using MIDI out to trigger your keyboard and recording the audio from the keyboard will get a better result, as it won't rely on pitch shifting a single sample.

FL is a pretty versatile tool at this point, so it's quite likely you can do whatever you are trying to do. I'm just not quite sure what that is.

(edited for clarity. hopefully haha)

Last edited by newp on Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:14 pm 

Or wait! Maybe you're talking about using what you play on your keyboard to become notes in FL, which you'd then assign to a VST instrument? That would be MIDI in. It doesn't exactly use the sounds from your keyboard, rather pitch, length, and velocity of what is played on the keyboard, but maybe that is what you mean?

LordEuronymous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:31 pm 

I know nothing about this sort of stuff, this is what I have:

My keyboard is hooked up with my MIDI-USB cable attached, I simply want the instrument sounds from my keyboard to be used for notes through it. My keyboard has the best sounds and while I can simply just record straight from it I'm rusty and make mistakes, so I need to find a way to implement those instrument sounds from my keyboard to be used as sounds in FL Studio.

LordEuronymous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:56 pm 

Does anyone get what I mean? I want to know if this is even possible, to use my keyboard as a VST/Fruity LSD/Soundboard instead on FL Studio essentially.

LordEuronymous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:09 pm 

Nobody?

LordEuronymous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:52 pm 

My keyboard is a yamaha psr e343, is there at least a soundfont I can find somewhere for this?

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:50 am 

LordEuronymous wrote:
Nobody?

Look, dude. You're on a metal board, not a FLStudio or DAW support forum. Also, you're not articulating what you want to do very well.

ANYWAY. It sounds like want you want to do is send MIDI out to your keyboard (ie making FL play your keyboard for you) and then record the audio. It's easy to do. Google that shit. Read the manual. Unleash the power of your mind.

Otherwise, like I said, record a note at C and then use that as sample to program. But that probably won't sound as good.

LordEuronymous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:36 am 

I'll try somewhere else, I cannot articulate, yeah I'll try an FL Studio forum.

Reply to topic