Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Oheao
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:58 am 

I was wondering if anyone here knew any good bands from mainland China. I'd prefer thrash, death (bonus points if OSDM sounding) and black metal bands.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:44 pm 

I highly recommend Zuriaake. The first album is pretty good but the second is phenomenal. Really well done epic folky black metal, sorta like a Chinese version of Moonsorrow or something.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:19 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
I highly recommend Zuriaake. The first album is pretty good but the second is phenomenal. Really well done epic folky black metal, sorta like a Chinese version of Moonsorrow or something.

Yn Gizarm too, they released a split with Zuriaake and an EP.

Kommanderhooyah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:02 pm 

For thrash, I know 军械所 (Ordnance).

There are a lot of atmospheric black, post-black, and DSBM bands from China. 葬尸湖 (Zuriaake) has already been mentioned. There is also Zenariz, Noose, Duringlifend, Desolate Hills, 飛狐 (Demogorgon), 虚症 (Asthenia), 深山 (Deep Mountains), and Speechless. Check out Pest Productions, it is a Chinese label specializing in black metal.

Oheao
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:39 pm 

Thank you!

tentacleterror
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:53 am 

i know of one Chinese hardcore band called Fanzui Xiangfa.
https://www.discogs.com/artist/2010133-Fan-Zui-Xiang-Fa

Peyp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:45 am 

Kommanderhooyah wrote:
There are a lot of atmospheric black, post-black, and DSBM bands from China. Check out Pest Productions, it is a Chinese label specializing in black metal.

Seconded! Pest really knows all of the good atmospheric stuff, and Zuriaake and Demogorgon are good bands. Try Mort Productions as well, who are much more open to different types of metal and are also from China.

Here's the melodic death metal band Fearless and the blackened death metal band Evocation:

Finally, here's symphonic black metal band Screaming Savior and epic black metal band Holyarrow:

I know a lot of good stuff from Taiwan as well, but didn't include them here because I'm not sure whether that counts to you as "Chinese" or not. Let me know if you're interested.
Due to the unfortunate reality of our guitarist fucking my girlfriend of almost 7 years WITCHROT will be taking an extended hiatus. I however will continue the band in another space and time... Thanks for the support, stay heavy. Also our drummer died...

RIP DIAMHEA

ironmaidens_666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:40 am 

Die From Sorrow, Perhaps?

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:53 pm 

Do you like slam death? Dark Prison Massacre is the only band from China I know of off the top of my head. I know some from Hong Kong as well, but not part of mainland China.

Demiurgus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:11 am 

Kommanderhooyah wrote:
For thrash, I know 军械所 (Ordnance).

There are a lot of atmospheric black, post-black, and DSBM bands from China. 葬尸湖 (Zuriaake) has already been mentioned. There is also Zenariz, Noose, Duringlifend, Desolate Hills, 飛狐 (Demogorgon), 虚症 (Asthenia), 深山 (Deep Mountains), and Speechless. Check out Pest Productions, it is a Chinese label specializing in black metal.

Thank you very much for the recommendation. I am Demogorgon from the band / collabration Demogorgon and want to make it a little bit of clearer: the band name is Demogorgon, the title of the 2016 debut MCD is 飛狐 (dilemma. revenge. snow.)

trieffiewiles
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:22 pm 

I don't believe Claustrophobia have an entry here in the archives beyond a reference of their split with Striborg. Someone more knowledgeable than me should rectify that, if this is still the case. Hopefully this isn't too lo-fi for your taste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cil-LdCDA9Y

Peyp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:15 am 

A lot of the best mainland bands are signed to Pest Productions - a very reputable Chinese label. It's run by a single person that claims to put all of the profit into either the label itself or to help underground Chinese acts gain exposure. Numerous non-Chinese acts have had releases on there too, such as Myrkgrav, Make a Change Kill Yourself, Inferno Requiem, and Alda.

I agree with Zuriaake, I'd also suggest Holyarrow, Tomb, and Dismal for black metal, as well as Rupture for thrash metal. You can also look at YouTube channels that specialize in Chinese music, such as theevilskull, 666xTHEFALLENONEx666, Itq19900310, and rhoadsv.

EDIT: Oh shit I apparently responded to this a long time ago
Due to the unfortunate reality of our guitarist fucking my girlfriend of almost 7 years WITCHROT will be taking an extended hiatus. I however will continue the band in another space and time... Thanks for the support, stay heavy. Also our drummer died...

RIP DIAMHEA

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:57 am 

There's some great thrash like Exhordium and Punisher, while I kind of like Alcor, though they only have one album to date. On the death side of things, maybe check out Septicaemia and Cankered Corpse for some brutal stuff, plus Norcelement are decent on the melodic end of things.

Reply to topic