Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Lysander
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:18 pm 

Before the sale ends I need to mention that I got hold of Pike 213 - Crumple, probably the best I've heard so far. OK, maybe not as good as Backwards Chimney but a very likely second place. I love the long epic guitar solo side of BH and this is one of the very best. I don't know how he can create a solo this long and still make it riveting but it is. I am stunned. Dazzling, sensational, engaging and inspirational.

Thanks for your top list, SC2112, I don't think I'll have time to listen to them this sale but I'll check them out on Youtube. Anyway, I will be beginning the pike journey on 1st Jan. I have other things to listen to so I don't know how long it will take, but I'll keep a record.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:10 pm 

Really? Digging Crumple that much, eh? That's cool! I like that one, but not as much as a lot of others. I find that the solo is a bit too long. I love the intro song a lot though. Also, go listen to Worms for the Garden ASAP. It'll hit the spot if you love those long solos. :-D :thumbsup: You'll also dig Final Bend Of the Labyrinth, Hold Me Forever, Leave the Light On, and Project Little Man, as those each feature huge solos. ALSO, Celery is a kickass, slower, melodic, and emotionally absorbed 30 minute lead extravaganza.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts while on your Pike journey. I might do the same again, just to revisit all in a row.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:26 pm 

He's doing *another* two dollar sale, for those that may be interested. I plan to pick up a couple, but I'm not sure which ones. I really wish he'd include the current bunch, as Sparks in the Dark is just so flipping fantastic, I'm buying that one in a heartbeat as soon as he makes it available.

Also, the new one is one of my favorites from the post-tour bunch already. A slab of different shades of his styles, but lots of great riffs and melodies. https://youtu.be/qie_gYCOd38 Barren Part 1 and 2 (starting at 8:18) is one of the best songs I've heard from him since Sparks in the Dark. He has been totally killing it lately, goodness gracious.

Lysander
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:46 pm 

Agreed, I've been through Nettle twice tonight. What I really enjoy about this one is the way in which it brings together different styles of his but they don't clash. I can appreciate the difference between them and they work well together. Also this is a nice heavy one and the drumming fits well and it's emotive. One of the problems I have with some BH pikes is that the drums are just gesture space-fillers but here they really add to the music. Great pike.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:52 pm 

I know what you mean. The drums on Buckethead's stuff, for the most part, just gets the job done. However, there are a few instances of the drums being actually really great. Examples being stuff like Backwards Chimney, The Pit, and a few of the most intense ones.

And yeah Nettle rules. I've been playing it off and on as of late and it really hits the spot. This set of new Pikes is quickly outshining the first batch of 200's Pikes, and if he keeps this up the 200's will be a far better group than the 100's. The thought of having 300 Pikes by the end of next year is pretty wicked. I'm excited to hear what he continues to do.

Lysander
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:32 pm 

Why did I not listen to Coat of Charms in its entirety before? This is a masterpiece.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:18 pm 

Picked up a few pikes in this sale. Claymation Courtyard and Hold Me Forever are pretty excellent all the way through. Worms for the Garden's title track is awesome too but the following shorter tracks are kinda just there.

Might have to give Nettle and Coat of Charms a listen too.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3