Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:40 am 

Deep Purple will release the album inFinite on April 7th 2017 via earMUSIC. Some editions will include a documentary on the songwriting and recording of the album with producer producer Bob Ezrin, which apparently is the first time they have done such a movie.

And a limited edition EP for Time for Bedlam, with non-album songs and unreleased recordings will be released on February 3rd.

The song Time for Bedlam:

Last edited by Dembo on Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
hallowed78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:49 pm 

Really good. Liking the somewhat political aspect of the song.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:49 pm 

Yeah, I really enjoyed that. Haven't heard anything they've done recently but I may have to change that. This was super good, with killer keys, groovy riffs and even some interesting lyrics...I'll check out the album.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:49 pm 

That looks remarkably similar to the Devin Townsend Project logo. :lol:

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:13 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:

Though it goes back over 300 years... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinity_symbol

MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:36 pm 

I'm really impressed by this! I haven't listened to much of their recent stuff, hell, I only gave Now What?! a couple of spins, but if the whole album is as good as this song, it's a guaranteed buy from me.

eViLbOrIs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:01 pm 

Wow, this is fantastic! I've been slowly collecting and appreciating this band's back catalog as I find it in the used cd sections of my local record store, but this is going to be a week-of-release purchase!
Good trades with: Satan_Laughs (x2), thrashbeast, jthompson (x2), Groanofthewind, Mantis44 (x2), Decry, Igor, Kelibat, Madcow, Vakshay, Mespheber, Lord_Domitian, orionmetalhead, J, mightypeniz, Jacobo123 etc...

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:12 pm 

Deep Purple must be one of the very few bands that, as BH puts it, I'm a complete oldnoob for. Like, yeah, that song sounds good, but I kinda wish it didn't have DP's name attached to it. It just doesn't feel like the Purple I love.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:44 pm 

given how picky they are with selecting bands for the archive, does DP count as metal?

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:36 pm 

Well, they are in the database, so for MA's standards, they do.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:42 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Deep Purple must be one of the very few bands that, as BH puts it, I'm a complete oldnoob for. Like, yeah, that song sounds good, but I kinda wish it didn't have DP's name attached to it. It just doesn't feel like the Purple I love.

Interesting... I'd agree it sounds a bit different, but to me it is different in a fresh, cool way that shows a band willing to keep up with the times but still keep their signature elements. The guitars and keys sounded like classic DP, just updated for a more proggy modern twist. And I really like the harsh, odd vocal delivery.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:06 am 

No, yeah, the song itself is fine, for a band that follows DP's steps, but not for the actual Purple itself, man. I know this kinda speech sounds very "get off my lawn"-ish (which is even stupider considering my age), but Purple is kind of cemented in my mind as the band that penned the likes of In Rock, Machine Head, and Burn, among many other terrific, genre-defining works. Modern DP, to me, sounds very diluted and weathered, even if the talent and trademark sound are still there.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:10 am 

I had never heard any of their new stuff, though a friend showed me "Vincent Price" off their last album and that was great too. Not as good as Machine Head or Burn, but I think I had a much lower expectation for what this stuff would sound like, and I'm actually really honestly enjoying it. Definitely excited to hear more.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:59 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
No, yeah, the song itself is fine, for a band that follows DP's steps, but not for the actual Purple itself, man. I know this kinda speech sounds very "get off my lawn"-ish (which is even stupider considering my age), but Purple is kind of cemented in my mind as the band that penned the likes of In Rock, Machine Head, and Burn, among many other terrific, genre-defining works. Modern DP, to me, sounds very diluted and weathered, even if the talent and trademark sound are still there.
Perhaps, but it's not as if that complaint couldn't be leveled against almost every other older band out there still making new music. Almost no group out there is going to have the good sense to pull a Bolt Thrower and quit while they're ahead, so bands wearing out their musical welcome is just a necessary evil we need to get used to. Modern Deep Purple could be doing a lot worse than they currently are, after all.

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:52 am 

Smalley wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:
Perhaps, but it's not as if that complaint couldn't be leveled against almost every other older band out there still making new music. Almost no group out there is going to have the good sense to pull a Bolt Thrower and quit while they're ahead, so bands wearing out their musical welcome is just a necessary evil we need to get used to. Modern Deep Purple could be doing a lot worse than they currently are, after all.

It's not much of a complaint since the main point was that he happens to be an "oldnoob" regarding very few bands, including Deep Purple.

And Bolt Thrower's reason for not releasing a new album is because they are not convinced it would be at least on par with its predecessor. Do we know Deep Purple and many other bands are not convinced their upcoming/latest will/would be at least on par with their respective predecessor?

Not to mention, in the end bands are about the artistic project which some other people's standards about "good sense" or "quitting while ahead" has nothing to do with, since it's not a popularity or legacy contest.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:38 am 

Oh god, this is awesome! Sounds very much like Deep Purple would/should sound in the 2010's. Can't find fault at all.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:13 am 

The song is OK, better than I was expecting. I have to say that their last album was a major letdown - it lacked anything of interest and I gave it away very quickly. I'll give the new record a chance I guess.

Rosenthorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:00 am 

Is it just me or did that song feel waaay too short? It felt like it needed at least another verse/chorus somewhere in there.

Obey the dolphin!

jakster840
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:48 pm 

Steve Morse is on fire, as usual.

red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:07 pm 

traxan wrote:
given how picky they are with selecting bands for the archive, does DP count as metal?
Have you heard the Machine Head album?, and Who Do we think we are?
Not hearsay but the will of man

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:32 pm 

Dembo wrote:
Smoking_Gnu wrote:

Though it goes back over 300 years... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinity_symbol

It does but clearly the upwards and downward lines and space in the middle mirror the DTP logo (sans one additional vertical line).

The font looks bad imo, totally crap looking font.

terrordread
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:19 am 

Much better than I was expecting! I used to love the older albums, but I kind of wore them out (still enjoy them on occasion, though). I feel like this is a pretty nice, new sound for them, and very surprising! I've listened to their whole catalog, pretty much, and this is better than the vast majority of their modern material. Excited to listen to the full record!

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:52 am 

Great feel.. they added elements we never heard in DP before, like the robotic psalmody which serves as intro and extro. It rocks, and Steve's guitar sounds quite Blackmorian during verses (à la The Spanish Archer) The solos start quite early in the song and last for some considerable time, giving quite the "jam" feeling. I think this is stronger than any indvidual number on the previous album.

I don't quite reconcile the whole Arctic theme with the song lyrics though.

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:04 am 

I know i missing out...but i haven't give any post-Blackmore Purple a good listen...and im still causally warming up to Coverdale era albums.

TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:36 am 

^ Yup, you are. "Stormbringer" is among my Top 3 DP albums, and I have a very soft spot for "Rapture of the Deep" (I saw the band on that tour for the first time and they were great).

I missed the last record, but this sounds interesting. After almost 40 years of existence, they still sound fresh and quite inspired, I'd say that's remarkable.
"Of Terror and the Supernatural by Temple of Void is miles ahead of It's midnight in Neverland and I can't get my dick out of this unicorn; Volume 8 by Nightwish in both the amount of heaviness and lack of keyboards."

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:59 pm 

Smalley wrote:
Almost no group out there is going to have the good sense to pull a Bolt Thrower and quit while they're ahead, so bands wearing out their musical welcome is just a necessary evil we need to get used to

How is this an evil ? Does classic Purple sound worse due to the fact that they put out Slaves and Masters ? I mean, is there a mechanism I'm not aware of by which older Purple tracks are altered whenever a new album is released ? Like Marty McFly gradually losing his hand, Blackmore and Lord solo notes from Highway Star or Burn being deleted everytime Deep Purple record a new song ? Tell me how it works. Maybe we should make copies of these albums and safe keep them in a grotto somewhere where they could remain intact for future generations..

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:39 pm 

Tracklist for the full length:
1. Time for Bedlam
2. Hip Boots
3. All I've Got Is You
4. One Night in Vegas
5. Get Me Outta Here
6. The Surprising
7. Johnny's Band
8. On Top of the World
9. Birds of Prey
10. Roadhouse Blues

And for the EP released in February, available for a limited time:
1. Time for Bedlam (album version)
2. Paradise Bar (new song recorded during the studio sessions for the new album which will remain exclusive to the EP)
3. Uncommon Man (instrumental version of song originally from Now What?!)
4. Hip Boots (rehearsal version)

Norrmania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:05 pm 

A bit ashamed to admit that I've never bothered to explore much outside my beloved Deep Purple "comfort zone" of the 60's-70's era. Anyway, on my third listen of the new song now. First listen I was a bit unsure what to make of it. Second and third listens though I'm really digging this. I imagine I'll pick this up once its out.

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:44 pm 

That intro is terrible. The political angle is so incredibly overused these days as well, especially with older bands who are still making albums or making comebacks. It gets somewhat interesting near the end when they let loose a little. Guess this just isn't for me.

Norrmania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:57 pm 

Damn, well I basically had this song on repeat for about 30-45 minutes today because the more I played it the more hooked I was. Now pretty hyped for this album to come out. I really hope its as good as this song was.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:37 pm 

I was surprised at how laid back and fun the other song titles sound, not like the dark feel the opening track gave. But it's Deep Purple - it'll be good for sure.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:14 am 

Norrmania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:01 pm 

^Didn't enjoy it as much as Time for Bedlam, but still like it. Looking forward to this.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:12 am 

This is the best album I've heard this year so far. Really very good. Expressive, colorful, epic and surprising. The band's long history is wielded like a weapon and they know exactly how to write satisfying music.

NTT
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:03 pm 

There's the usual laid back DP stuff I dig but not enough harder stuff like the opening track to balance this album out. "Now What" was much better. This one disappears into a bunch of old brits doing prog rock a bit too much for me, even though DP are known for spacing out from time to time. The "Roadhouse Blues" cover is pointless and I've already replaced it with the (much better) bonus track "Paradise Bar".

Nobody delivers a line like Ian Gillan though. The end of "Top of the World" is great.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:29 pm 

I thought it was ok, I bought it somewhat blindly yesterday, but I don't think the magic is really there anymore, and there was a disgusting amount of autotune.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:23 pm 

"The Surprising" and "Birds Of Prey" have to be the best ones... super soulful, slow epics with lyrics recklessly tackling mortality, the human condition, etc. The other songs are lighter and more clever and witty, and it all kind of comes together very well as a well rounded experience, a lot of levity and wisdom.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:03 pm 

I definitely dig "The Surprising" and "All I Got Is You", and I definitely respect it for what it is, I was just kinda let down. Had too high of expectations.

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:06 am 

I like it. Better than the previous album.

adders11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:27 pm 

Just listened to it for the first time today. Really like it, though I'm unsure if I like it better than Now What?! as of now. The only Morse-era records I didn't think were that great were Abandon and Bananas, but even they still had their moments.

Reply to topic