Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
RNG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:09 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I think it's purely a case by case thing that can work based on how it's written and executed.

Some stuff automatically turns me off and I find it hard to get past the initial impression. I hated Unexpect for the longest time, for being spastic nonsense, until I actually diagrammed out one of their songs and found that it followed a very clear pattern I hadn't noticed.

And yeah, I like djent, so I shouldn't be talking about music where guitar is overly-dominant. But personally I don't think djent is quite the same as prog... and even so, bands like Uneven Structure are very good at the narrative songwriting of prog.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:18 pm 

I think if Pagan's Mind was considered power metal from the onset, they wouldn't be as contentious. They're one of those bands I'm zeroed in on theme/atmosphere/etc more than anything. I do think they're better suited for catchy songs like United Alliance and Enigmatic Mission though. In fact, I wish they'd do an entire album like that and forget about long-assed songs.

I noticed I've had a total change in taste over the last 10 years or so. I used to actually like power and prog bands incorporating extreme elements like blastbeats and harsh vocals, but it sounds so bloody lame to me now. That's actually one of my major nitpicks with Adagio's "Underworld" (and at time of release it was one of my favorite aspects). Lanfear did that on their 4th album and it sounds really dumb (and yes, at time of release I thought it was cool lol). The harshes sound half-assed like some duck getting strangled and the blastbeats are like some cotton-candy feather duster.

RNG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:29 pm 

Perdition666 wrote:
In fact, I wish they'd do an entire album like that and forget about long-assed songs.

BUT MUH PROG

Speaking of which, I'm actually enjoying that Scariot album, far more than the Communic stuff I've tried. The fact that the songs don't average at 8 fucking minutes helps things. The riffing also reminds me less of Pantera... which to be honest is one of the things that makes me dislike a lot of metal. I despise Pantera because of the macho tough guy posturing, and anything reminiscent of that tends to do nothing for me.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:16 pm 

RNG wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
I think it's purely a case by case thing that can work based on how it's written and executed.

Some stuff automatically turns me off and I find it hard to get past the initial impression. I hated Unexpect for the longest time, for being spastic nonsense, until I actually diagrammed out one of their songs and found that it followed a very clear pattern I hadn't noticed.

And yeah, I like djent, so I shouldn't be talking about music where guitar is overly-dominant. But personally I don't think djent is quite the same as prog... and even so, bands like Uneven Structure are very good at the narrative songwriting of prog.

I don't listen to much djent or nearly as much prog as you do, so eh, won't bother arguing that. But I find the "prog should be dynamic" thing a bit flawed. I don't think any genre "should" be anything. I always welcome a good experiment even if it's a bit outside my preconceived notions.

RNG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:20 pm 

Well, bands can experiment, yeah. But dynamics are as integral to prog as harsh vocals are to death metal.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:23 pm 

True, but I think Zierler has plenty of dynamic.

Regardless - my point is, just because it doesn't sound like what is usually associated with prog, doesn't make it some kind of objectively bad thing like you seem to be making it out to be.

RNG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:04 pm 

Actually, it sounds pretty typical for modern prog metal to my ears, but yeah, I don't want to aggravate you by shit-talking that album further. Sorry for being so confrontative.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:41 pm 

One warning with Scariot is that all their albums sound completely different from one another. "Strange to Numbers" is the only one I liked. I didn't care for Communic either (used to own their first 2 CDs and sold 'em off).

Eldritch "Headquake" is a pretty nice one too (I found it took several listens to get into and is one I connect with more on an emotional/personal level than anything). Its follow-up "El Nino" took me forever to get into. Its a bit on the groove side though. I can't say I like anything else they've done though.

I understand you with the groove thing though. I used to be more groove-phobic than Hells Unicorn. But, like bleach, I developed a tolerance towards it (within reason).

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:52 pm 

IamDBR wrote:
Nailed it. Now I am not one to say that I listen to everything, metal/punk (& a few other genres that I revisit time to time) IS my music and I don't think that'll ever change. Prog doesn't satisfy that itch for me & frankly, takes the 'fun' (for the lack of a better word) out of music. Also I don't like a lot of stuff that doesn't have a 'certain' level of aggression/intensity. Different shades for different folks, really.

As for the classic metal vocals, I say bring them on. Operatic belting & soaring falsettos over wimpy pseudo-singing any day of the week. Thanks for the long, comprehensive & insightful reply!

Edit: fucking typos

If you want hyper-aggressive prog, I recommend Corima. They don't have much in the way of distortion, but they don't need any--the music and performance are brutal enough to speak for themselves, and distortion would only muddy their incredibly dense arrangements (guitars, bass, drums, strings, horns, and percussion, all playing unique roles at the same time). And really, the dissonant chords and jagged textures they're able to create with all those instruments would make a Sunlight Studios guitar tone redundant.

It starts a bit slow but picks up and gets more and more frenzied and furious. Listen to the whole thing if you can, so you can hear it build into a white-hot incandescent rage. The song is named after the Aztec god of war, and you can practically hear his presence--and he's pissed. Definitely a headbangable piece of music, complete with a drumming style I can only describe as "jazz blastbeats".

RNG wrote:
As for chugs, well, bands already have a rhythm section of drums and bass. It's pointless to have the guitar be used mainly as a rhythm instrument, and leave melody up to the keyboardist and vocalist. Prog is about dynamic melodic interactions from various different instruments, with each one getting a chance to shine. With bands like Pagan's Mind, there's some good keyboard bits and guitar solos, but the meat of the songs doesn't have much going on melodically, just a series of rhythmic exercises. At least, I've listened to 3 of that band's album multiple times and that's the impression I got - not much elaboration on the riffs outside of solo sections, very little bass prominence, pretty simple drumwork. I don't hate that approach, just don't get the appeal of it when there's bands like Power of Omens who can write such dynamic and free-flowing compositions with every instrument getting its time to shine.

That's one of the things I really like about early Dream Theater that most prog metal bands don't get. When John Petrucci wasn't playing some sort of lead, he usually stepped back and played a supporting role while LaBrie, Moore, Portnoy, or a combination of them carried the music (poor John Myung, I feel like it was a tragedy that he got shoved into the background after the debut album, he could have added a lot to the instrumental interplay on Awake and his rare chances to shine on Images and Words were highlights). Most prog metal guitarists are way too wrapped up in their egos and the expectations of what a metal guitarist "should" do to back off like that.

Of course, this all flew out the window after Awake when the balance of forces within the band completely fell apart and Petrucci and Portnoy (and now just Petrucci, Jesus the guy is a bore when he's left to his own devices with no one to counterbalance him) overshadowed everyone.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:24 am 

Woolie_Wool wrote:
If you want hyper-aggressive prog, I recommend Corima. They don't have much in the way of distortion, but they don't need any--the music and performance are brutal enough to speak for themselves, and distortion would only muddy their incredibly dense arrangements (guitars, bass, drums, strings, horns, and percussion, all playing unique roles at the same time). And really, the dissonant chords and jagged textures they're able to create with all those instruments would make a Sunlight Studios guitar tone redundant.

It starts a bit slow but picks up and gets more and more frenzied and furious. Listen to the whole thing if you can, so you can hear it build into a white-hot incandescent rage. The song is named after the Aztec god of war, and you can practically hear his presence--and he's pissed. Definitely a headbangable piece of music, complete with a drumming style I can only describe as "jazz blastbeats".

Listening to this immediately after The Faceless - Autotheism* (after avoiding them for years).......and this is not my thing at all, I'll admit that much straight away. Having said that, I went in with an open mind & could totally appreciate some things you mentioned in your post. The music itself is extremely layered as mentioned, it's weird in a good way, constantly 'shifts' & is definitely chaotic at points. However, I'd like something with a bit more direct aggression with less shi...excuse me...strange vocals & a more satisfying climax considering the unwieldy duration. I listened to weird stuff like this before getting into 'real metal' so to speak & I'm getting some of those somewhat nostalgic vibes right now. Thanks for the rec!

*I can appreciate stuff like this, bands like Ne Obliviscaris, Beyond Creation, Enslaved, some Meshuggah, DEP, Toothgrinder, BtB&M (tyring to get into them) etc. Not sure if people on this thread would consider it true prog or whatever because majority of what I'm seeing here is prog rock, zeuhl or prog metal influenced by the former. Not a knock just an observation.

RNG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:03 pm 

I think I might have said that mentioning prog black/death would be a bit of a copout, in my view - you asked how to get into pure prog metal and therefore it would be most correct of me to suggest, well, pure prog metal. Though if you want extreme prog, I have no shortage of recommendations!

For progressive black metal, a good and unwarrantedly obscure suggestion is Vehementer Nos. Not quite like Ne Obliviscaris but they offer a similarly complex and involved mixture of black metal, prog, and some classical instrumentation. Their countrymen Averse and Vediog Svaor are also similar, though a bit more tending towards prog and psych rock, respectively. Nearby in Spain we have Kathaarsys, who are very close in sound to Ne Obliviscaris, at least on their first 2 albums. Incredible and underrated band.

Also worth checking out: Hybrid Nightmares, A Flourishing Scourge, Smohalla. And of course Ved Buens Ende, Fleurety, Deathspell, etc. are obvious.

Misogi from Japan have an interesting mix of somewhat-technical instrumentation and Japanese folk influence, and I feel compelled to bring them up. The best extreme/prog band from Japan, though, is clearly Gonin-ish - their compositional skill is astounding, and they are masters of weird dark atmosphere. Mysterious Priestess have a similar and promising style, with quite prominent keyboard. Fellow East Asians Kekal are barely black metal but definitely "extreme prog", and an incredibly intriguing band anyways. Think Ved Buens Ende covering Iron Maiden, produced by Devin Townsend.

The Ocean are a personal favorite band, with Pelagial being my definite favorite album of theirs. They are amazing at the whole "musical narrative" thing and on that album they showed the capability to write a very intelligently composed concept album. There's also some mild Meshuggah influences which are very well-executed. If you like them, also check out Nami, Anciients, and Nero di Marte.

As for prog death, well... it'll be a long list. For older bands, you can't go wrong with Supuration, Phlebotomized, Timeghoul, Dark Millennium, Old, Disaffected, Disciples of Power, Neglected Fields, Rhadamantys, Acid Death, Disembarkation... some more obscure acts like Hospice, Infamia and Windham Hell are way more experimental and trippy but still awesome.

Modern bands that are worthwhile include Chryseis, Hexxed, Sculptured, She Said Destroy, Sickening Horror, Morbus Chron (and other Scandinavian "psychedelic-death" bands like Diskord)...

That should be good for starters ;P

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:39 pm 

RNG wrote:
I think I might have said that mentioning prog black/death would be a bit of a copout, in my view - you asked how to get into pure prog metal and therefore it would be most correct of me to suggest, well, pure prog metal. Though if you want extreme prog, I have no shortage of recommendations!

For progressive black metal, a good and unwarrantedly obscure suggestion is Vehementer Nos. Not quite like Ne Obliviscaris but they offer a similarly complex and involved mixture of black metal, prog, and some classical instrumentation. Their countrymen Averse and Vediog Svaor are also similar, though a bit more tending towards prog and psych rock, respectively. Nearby in Spain we have Kathaarsys, who are very close in sound to Ne Obliviscaris, at least on their first 2 albums. Incredible and underrated band.

Also worth checking out: Hybrid Nightmares, A Flourishing Scourge, Smohalla. And of course Ved Buens Ende, Fleurety, Deathspell, etc. are obvious.

Misogi from Japan have an interesting mix of somewhat-technical instrumentation and Japanese folk influence, and I feel compelled to bring them up. The best extreme/prog band from Japan, though, is clearly Gonin-ish - their compositional skill is astounding, and they are masters of weird dark atmosphere. Mysterious Priestess have a similar and promising style, with quite prominent keyboard. Fellow East Asians Kekal are barely black metal but definitely "extreme prog", and an incredibly intriguing band anyways. Think Ved Buens Ende covering Iron Maiden, produced by Devin Townsend.

The Ocean are a personal favorite band, with Pelagial being my definite favorite album of theirs. They are amazing at the whole "musical narrative" thing and on that album they showed the capability to write a very intelligently composed concept album. There's also some mild Meshuggah influences which are very well-executed. If you like them, also check out Nami, Anciients, and Nero di Marte.

As for prog death, well... it'll be a long list. For older bands, you can't go wrong with Supuration, Phlebotomized, Timeghoul, Dark Millennium, Old, Disaffected, Disciples of Power, Neglected Fields, Rhadamantys, Acid Death, Disembarkation... some more obscure acts like Hospice, Infamia and Windham Hell are way more experimental and trippy but still awesome.

Modern bands that are worthwhile include Chryseis, Hexxed, Sculptured, She Said Destroy, Sickening Horror, Morbus Chron (and other Scandinavian "psychedelic-death" bands like Diskord)...

Holyfuckingmotherofprog...huge thanks for this. The amount of effort you are putting in this is extremely appreciable.

About the pure prog thing, yeah you are right about that I did say that. Either way thanks a lot man!

RNG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:43 pm 

Do note that not all of those bands are prog in the traditional sense, but I consider weird experimental metal to be "prog" if it's dynamic and technical enough. Some edge cases like Brainstorm/Graal or Traumatic Voyage are on the border between being janky outsider stuff, and outright prog. They might be interesting but don't expect something like Opeth or Ne Obliviscaris... then again, some of these bands do have detectible influences from the outer edge of prog. Like Infamia, for example, have moments that sound like avant-prog/jazz fusion stuff.

I'm the last person to ask for stuff similar to The Faceless, Beyond Creation and BTBAM since I rather hate those bands, but you might want to check out The Zenith Passage, Ordinance, Inanimate Existence, Virvum, Replacire, Serdce, Hatchling, Nightfire etc. Of the bands I recommended in the above post, Chryseis are probably closest to that style of modern, spacy tech death (though I hear as much Demilich in them as I do, say, Gorod or Anata). I'll be the first to admit that my knowledge of modern prog/tech death is really poor, since most of it is stuff I haven't enjoyed. Most of the stuff I'm recommending is older and less polished and as such might not be quite what you wanted.

Though, Dom Lapointe does turn in a good performance on the instrumental project Teramobil, which also has members from Unhuman (another cool modern TDM band) and has more of a mathcore-y slant. For mathcore I'd also suggest bilo'u from Japan - them, Arise in Stability and Cyclamen are some of the few highlights in the sadly rather mediocre Japanese metalcore scene.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:04 pm 

Again, huge thanks!

Btw, did you hear the new Dysrhythmia, Brain Tentacles, Coma Cluster Void & Candiria since we are on the topic of extreme prog?

RNG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:12 pm 

I heard the first two, still haven't gotten around to CCV or Candiria. And the Candiria albums I have heard were really not my thing so I'm not too excited about that one.

Brain Tentacles did a great job of making sax sound heavy and riffy. They ended up getting into repetitive jams too much, but there were very cool moments. Dysrhythmia were their usual selves, with maybe a bit more of a black metal feeling, but they're a good enough band that I don't mind them self-plagiarizing a bit.

e: I forgot to mention Creepmime in my earlier post. Good band.

RNG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:33 pm 

Hm, so a page ago I had asked for highly symphonic (by which I mean keyboard-heavy) prog metal bands like Helreidh and Marge Litch.

I ought to add Matraz's debut and Amaze Knight to that list. Can't believe I neglected either of these.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:15 am 

@ RNG: I'm digging most of the stuff you've mentioned in that monstrous post. Too bad most of these bands are known to only 10 fucking people which is a shame because some of this stuff has/had shitload of potential.

Also I found Itzamna (France) today thanks to Angry Metal Guy. They are an instrumental prog rock band that mix jazz, djent plus some 'metallic' influences along with having a full time piano player. Though it gets too sugary/happy/melodic for my tastes I thought I'd share 'em here.
https://itzamna.bandcamp.com/releases

RNG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:56 pm 

IamDBR wrote:
@ RNG: I'm digging most of the stuff you've mentioned in that monstrous post. Too bad most of these bands are known to only 10 fucking people which is a shame because some of this stuff has/had shitload of potential.

You're absolutely on the nose there. I love digging for obscure metal of all sorts, and is some cases it's incredibly painful to know that the band has long since disbanded, and nobody sounds like them. Winter Bestowed and Ritual Suicide being two of the most glaring examples - 25 and 10 minutes of material, respectively, and all of it is completely brilliant.

There's a lot more to look at in my RYM list on the topic.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:40 pm 

Mammoth | Instrumental Prog Rock/Metal/Jazz Fusion
https://mammothprog.bandcamp.com/album/deviations

Joxy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:54 am 

I am very big fan of progressive/technical and symphonic/classical metal bands. To be honest I never was fan of brutal metal. Just wanna to hear good melody, harmony, guitar and bass parts, quality rhytms, impressive piano or orchestra parts.

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:10 pm 

Hi.

I'm trying to find riff-oriented progressive metal
Basically something in vein of this. It's like progressive death metal except with excellent riffs and it seems the riffs are the center part of it. So I need more of this
It would be a plus if it was extreme prog or at least if the vocals were not clean.

So is there anything like that?

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:59 am 

Karlabos wrote:
Hi.

I'm trying to find riff-oriented progressive metal
Basically something in vein of this. It's like progressive death metal except with excellent riffs and it seems the riffs are the center part of it. So I need more of this
It would be a plus if it was extreme prog or at least if the vocals were not clean.

So is there anything like that?

Dude scroll up just a bit, that huge post by RNG has shiloads of obscure extreme prog metal. Let me know what you like so I can suggest you more bands based on that.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:03 am 

RNG wrote:

I'm talking about this comment Karlabos. As you can see the dude put a lot of effort in it

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:13 pm 

IamDBR wrote:
RNG wrote:
RNG post

I'm talking about this comment Karlabos. As you can see the dude put a lot of effort in it

Hey, I am checking thos ebands but althought they may be extreme prog bands most of them don't seem to be very riff-based like I wanted =p
Still need to properly check them all though...

But I did like the japanese bands Gonin-Ish and Mysterious Priestress (they are similar) and the black bands Vediog Svaor and Averse(also similar)
So even though it kinda doesn't match my rec if you could name something similar to those it'd be awesome, thanks

RNG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:22 pm 

Well, I know a lot of proggy tech-death bands that are quite riff-focused. The "holy trinity" of Gorod/Anata/Martyr are, well, you probably know them already but they're still worth a full listen. Acid Death, Unreal Overflows, Mindwork, Hieronymus Bosch, and Vuvr are more obscure, and mostly Cynic/Death influenced. Also !T.O.O.H.!

There's some older bands, like Decision D (on Moratoria) and Nomicon (on their first few demoes) who might be what you want, too.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:07 am 

First Fragment | A blazing shredfest of godly proportions, it's like classical music gone tech death
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muS9r3F ... ht%27sBane

Deviant Process | Tech death with some cool 'semi-prog' stuff, nice riffs as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0407S3n ... coreAlbums

Lykathea Aflame | Prog brutal death...yeah, sheer brutality with surprisingly emotive melodies, semi obscure (not underrated, have you seen the reviews for this thing) off-kilter, forward thinking extreme metal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IArBw3X ... ogyOfDeath

Newish band I'm listening to right now:
Dischoridia | Kinda' prog death metal, reminds me of the recent Ulcerate albeit a bit less dense, still check it out some cool riffs in there
https://dischordia.bandcamp.com/album/thanatopsis-2

Some weird black metal that you may like:
Oranssi Pazuzu & Hail Spirit Noir | Psych/experimental/prog black metal with interesting sounds not common in black metal, the psychedelic rock/bm is such a promising fusion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4brqp2 ... Promotions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFbyb5w ... abbathDoom

Wormlust | Reminds me of Deathspell Omega (another band you should check out if you haven't already), maybe a bit more cavernous & atmospheric/ambient
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym4BRDM ... iumNostrum

Last edited by IamDBR on Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joxy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:16 pm 

I never understand why metal bands don’t use elements from 20th century classical music which I find it very rich and complex in harmony and rhythms? They use mostly from 18 or 19th century classical music. Probably Paganini became hero to all metal guitarists and his violin melodies perfectly fitting in metal and are good for shredding.

RNG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:03 pm 

Ehnahre have strong modern classical influences.

Joxy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:46 pm 

Counter-World Experience

Their new album will be great

Awesome guitar player

Another great prog-metal album and artist

Votum

Voyager

Wishful Lotus Proof

https://jakubzytecki.bandcamp.com/track ... ha-mansoor

Xerath

THRESHOLD

CHON

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:16 pm 

The new Riftwalker is pretty sweet guys, check it out:
https://riftwalker.bandcamp.com/album/green-black

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:07 pm 

Looking for instrumental progressive metal heavily infused with death metal, maybe a bit of doom without being overly slow, and a few acoustic-y pretty parts ala Tempel (Phoenix, AZ). Tempel has a lot of Opethian parts, so I've got my fill of that particular influence.

Any suggestions?

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:27 am 

Thanks.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

gomorro
Too Slow to Owl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:20 am 

So Im looking for prog like Plini, Chon or Thank you Scientist, with some jazz influences. Not much in the technical DM vein please (Though if there's a really good new band it would be cool) Thanks in advance.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:42 am 

^How about these:
Angel Vivaldi
Polyphia
I Built the Sky
Scale the Summit
Pomegranate Tiger
Exivious
Erra

gomorro
Too Slow to Owl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:24 am 

IamDBR wrote:
^How about these:
Pomegranate Tiger

Some times I think there's a Prog band Name Generator that mix random words based on odd time signatures... Gotta love the names haha. Thank you very much bro, that´s an awesome list

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:31 am 

No prob, happy to help! :)

~Guest 277521
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:56 pm 

Henry Cow is absolutely amazing.... nothing else to add for now

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:26 pm 

gomorro wrote:
So Im looking for prog like Plini, Chon or Thank you Scientist, with some jazz influences. Not much in the technical DM vein please (Though if there's a really good new band it would be cool) Thanks in advance.

Nick Johnston - Remarkably Human

I'm assuming you already know this one ...

Animals As Leaders - The Joy of Motion

Gastjale
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:52 pm 

maladie wrote:
Henry Cow is absolutely amazing.... nothing else to add for now

A band who conquered jazz, avant-garde and modern classical music in such a short time span definitely gets my vote. An incredibly important group in the history of music.

MJS71
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:01 am 

My request:
I am a big fan of technical and fast death metal (think First Fragment, Necrophagist, Obscura, etc.) and also long, progressive song structures such as Opeth. Does anyone know of bands that write long, interesting songs in a tech death style? My favorite band, Beyond Creation, is perfect in terms of style, but only has one long prog epic. And yes, I know all the usual prog/jazz/death bands. I want to see a band that does what all those guys do, but for 10+ minutes. I am very open to weird or different styles, as I hate getting bored while listening to music. Thanks for any suggestions!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next