Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:59 am 

Who Took Johnny was an interesting and well made documentary. Although at the end, how the mum says Johnny came back and his excuse for leaving was a little far fetched and kind of stupidly brushed over, not sure if she was delusional or trying to make a headline.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:15 pm 

Here is one I've always been interested in : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappear ... yn_Gillern

They also made a documentary about it.

brandon1986
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:17 am 

The Axeman of New Orleans has always been one of my favorites.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axeman_of_New_Orleans
he wrote a pretty creepy letter that was published in newspapers around new orleans.

"Hell, March 13, 1919
Esteemed Mortal:
They have never caught me and they never will. They have never seen me, for I am invisible, even as the ether that surrounds your earth. I am not a human being, but a spirit and a demon from the hottest hell. I am what you Orleanians and your foolish police call the Axeman.
When I see fit, I shall come and claim other victims. I alone know whom they shall be. I shall leave no clue except my bloody axe, besmeared with blood and brains of he whom I have sent below to keep me company.
If you wish you may tell the police to be careful not to rile me. Of course, I am a reasonable spirit. I take no offense at the way they have conducted their investigations in the past. In fact, they have been so utterly stupid as to not only amuse me, but His Satanic Majesty, Francis Josef, etc. But tell them to beware. Let them not try to discover what I am, for it were better that they were never born than to incur the wrath of the Axeman. I don't think there is any need of such a warning, for I feel sure the police will always dodge me, as they have in the past. They are wise and know how to keep away from all harm."
Undoubtedly, you Orleanians think of me as a most horrible murderer, which I am, but I could be much worse if I wanted to. If I wished, I could pay a visit to your city every night. At will I could slay thousands of your best citizens, for I am in close relationship with the Angel of Death.
Now, to be exact, at 12:15 (earthly time) on next Tuesday night, I am going to pass over New Orleans. In my infinite mercy, I am going to make a little proposition to you people. Here it is:
I am very fond of jazz music, and I swear by all the devils in the nether regions that every person shall be spared in whose home a jazz band is in full swing at the time I have just mentioned. If everyone has a jazz band going, well, then, so much the better for you people. One thing is certain and that is that some of your people who do not jazz it on Tuesday night (if there be any) will get the axe.
Well, as I am cold and crave the warmth of my native Tartarus, and it is about time I leave your earthly home, I will cease my discourse. Hoping that thou wilt publish this, that it may go well with thee, I have been, am and will be the worst spirit that ever existed either in fact or realm of fancy.
The Axeman[6]

Another interesting case is the Texarkana Moonlight Murders, which is a little more famous since these murders were the inspiration for the classic slasher movie "The Town That Dreaded Sundown"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texarkana ... ht_Murders

More of a local story, but another unsolved murder mystery "The Connecticut River Valley Killer" at least 7 victims from 1978-1987
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connectic ... ley_Killer

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:17 am 

brandon1986 wrote:
I am very fond of jazz music, and I swear by all the devils in the nether regions that every person shall be spared in whose home a jazz band is in full swing at the time I have just mentioned. If everyone has a jazz band going, well, then, so much the better for you people. One thing is certain and that is that some of your people who do not jazz it on Tuesday night (if there be any) will get the axe.

Thank goodness there was no PTA around back then to subsequently ban Jazz music for good.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:54 am 

That axe man was such a try-hard. Oooh boogedy boogedy I'm a demon, lol.

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:16 pm 

That axeman letter is wild!

DreamOfDarkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:44 pm 

@kluseba

Obviously I've heard about the Peggy Knobloch case before, but I've never read about all the details. To fire up conspiracies, it should be noted that the German police still has some right-wing members who try to hinder investigations on neo-nazi crimes, see "Verfassungsschutz", but somehow nobody is able to find them and clear everything up. So in case the two cases (NSU murders and Peggys case) are related, it could well be that investigations have been hindered.

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:29 am 

How the skeptics investigate some unsolved mysteries should be a crime. Much of the time when they investigate they do a shoddy job or even no job at all.

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:33 am 

And in case people are wondering which examples I got two for you. Gulf Breeze and The Amityville Horror.

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:31 am 

Wait a minute. That is the very nature of being skeptical in the first place. To be skeptical of everything. Were is my morning coffee?

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:35 pm 

Eh.

Last edited by ~Guest 373247 on Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:51 am 

Is The Killing Season any good? Hate some of those true crime shows with stupid hosts that act like a disgruntled b-grade detective. "And this case is personal! It happened to my best friend's work manager's ex-roommate!"

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:34 pm 

Eh.

Last edited by ~Guest 373247 on Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:13 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Well the Zodiac killer case is an unsolved mystery in a lot of ways. Was it one guy or two? Why would one guy take credit for the other murderer? Why would he stop killing? Even the supposed friend of Arthur Lee Allen seems to have a bunch of convenient conversations with Lee Allen (apparently the most likely suspect) where he openly stated to his friend he would "shoot the kiddies one by one", don't you think a serial killer would TRY and keep that to himself?? And then Lee Allen's friend with all these perfect incriminating conversations conveniently is too drunk to take an accurate polygraph test not once but both times he was asked.

Right place, right time really.
His thrill of doing what he did was boasting about said crimes.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:20 pm 

Resurrecting this thread since I *LOVE* it. Just learned about this:

http://www.thebitterrootfootage.com/

Anyone familiar with it?
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:21 am 

The consensus on that film is that it appears to be a filming student project just designed to generate views, i.e. a short "Blair Witch Project" type thing. It is interesting and strange though, whether it is "real" or not. The "Bitterroot" title makes it sound like it was filmed in Montana, in or near the Bitterroot valley, (which is why I was initially interested in it) but it looks like there are eucalyptus trees in the woods, which cannot survive in the climate there.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:28 am 

^Looks like it was filmed in modern day and made to look old. The maker was likely inspired by the film reels of Sinister: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsd8xsgPIqA (came out the same year as the footage surfaced online).

Haunted Shirt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:22 am 

I have read many books and followed many of cases that are considered unsolved mysteries. One of my favorite is from when I was a kid in the early eighties of Johnny Gosch. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Gosch He disappeared while on his paper route. He was one of the first cases of missing children to be featured on a milk carton. Well what makes his case unique from others is his Mother came out and said in the 90s Johnny showed up at her door accompanied by a man. I believe he said he was kidnapped and forced to be into a child movie ring. He was now ok with his movie lifestyle and had no intention of leaving the industry. The men spoke for a few hours and they left. In 2006 someone left pictures on her doorstep, of a group of children tied up and gagged. The Mother said one of the boys in the photo was of Johnny. Later law enforcement would find out that the photos came from Florida and the boy that looked like Johnny, was not Johnny.

OpsiusCato

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:23 pm 

Haunted Shirt wrote:
I have read many books and followed many of cases that are considered unsolved mysteries. One of my favorite is from when I was a kid in the early eighties of Johnny Gosch. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Gosch He disappeared while on his paper route. He was one of the first cases of missing children to be featured on a milk carton. Well what makes his case unique from others is his Mother came out and said in the 90s Johnny showed up at her door accompanied by a man. I believe he said he was kidnapped and forced to be into a child movie ring. He was now ok with his movie lifestyle and had no intention of leaving the industry. The men spoke for a few hours and they left. In 2006 someone left pictures on her doorstep, of a group of children tied up and gagged. The Mother said one of the boys in the photo was of Johnny. Later law enforcement would find out that the photos came from Florida and the boy that looked like Johnny, was not Johnny.

Yeah, the Johnny Gosch story was mentioned in the first page. Very, very, very weird stuff. And the digger you deep, the sicker it gets.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

OpsiusCato

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:31 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:
^Looks like it was filmed in modern day and made to look old.

Oxenkiller wrote:
The consensus on that film is that it appears to be a filming student project just designed to generate views

To what purpose? If it was an intended viral "guerilla" movie campaign, why haven't they released anything in about five years since the footage came out?
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:03 pm 

For one the details on "Chad", his friend "Dario", and the entire backstory are insanely vague.

OpsiusCato

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:08 pm 

Why wouldn't they be vague? It's a "I'm some random dude and stumbled upon this" story.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:15 pm 

Because if it's legit there's details, you go forth to the media/do interviews/police, etc. You're face is known to the public and I imagine a school student would bask in the spotlight. You don't just post it on a website/youtube/facebook with one post declaring "it's not fake".

Found this.
Quote:
This is absolutely a viral ad campaign. The "Bitterroot Footage" was created by a film student in Montevideo Uruguay. His name is not Chad Logan, it is Dario. Apparently some people on unfiction.com did some internet sleuthing and with IP's and such and found all of his info, including his actual facebook page.

Haunted Shirt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:08 pm 

Another interesting one is of Tamam Shud case. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamam_Shud_case

From the Wikipedia Page
Quote:
The Tamam Shud case, also known as the Mystery of the Somerton Man, is an unsolved case of an unidentified man found dead at 6:30 am, 1 December 1948, on Somerton beach, Glenelg, just south of Adelaide, South Australia. It is named after a phrase, tamám shud, meaning "ended" or "finished" in Persian, printed on a scrap of paper found months later in the fob pocket of the man's trousers. This scrap had been torn from the final page of a copy of Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam – a collection of poems attributed to the 12th Century poet Omar Khayyám. In some early reports of the case, Tamam was misspelt Taman, and the error has often been repeated.

Following a public appeal by police, the copy of the Rubaiyat from which the page had been torn was located. On the inside back cover of the book, detectives were able to read – in indentations from handwriting – a local telephone number, another unidentified number and a text that resembled an encrypted message. The text has not been deciphered or interpreted in a way that satisfies authorities on the case.

The case has been considered, since the early stages of the police investigation, "one of Australia's most profound mysteries".There has been intense speculation ever since regarding the identity of the victim, the cause of his death and the events leading up to it. Public interest in the case remains significant for several reasons: the death occurring at a time of heightened international tensions, following the beginning of the Cold War; the apparent involvement of a secret code; the possible use of an undetectable poison; and the inability of authorities to identify the dead man.

In addition to intense public interest in Australia during the late 1940s and early 1950s, the Tamam Shud case also attracted international attention. South Australian Police consulted their counterparts overseas and distributed information about the dead man internationally, in an effort to identify him. International circulation of a photograph of the man and details of his fingerprints yielded no positive identification. For example, in the United States, the FBI was unable to match the dead man's fingerprint with prints taken from files of domestic criminals. Scotland Yard was also asked to assist with the case, but could not offer any insights

OpsiusCato

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:02 pm 

This one is also interesting

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Guidestones

Too big a proyect, don't you think?
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

OpsiusCato

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:01 pm 

Oh, this is rather interesting as well

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodder_ch ... appearance

Any thoughts?
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:55 am 

OpsiusCato wrote:
Resurrecting this thread since I *LOVE* it. Just learned about this:

http://www.thebitterrootfootage.com/

Anyone familiar with it?

Dunno why, but I kinda thought of that crappy 70's horror movie "Manos, the Hands of Fate" made famous by MST3K for a minute there.

It's definitely fucked up, but the fact that the witch doctor thing let the camera just document that bizarre ritual makes it seem like some weird, avant-garde art project to me.

EDIT: Does the Sinbad genie movie qualify as an unsolved mystery? As a child of the mid to late 90's, I'd never really known who Sinbad was or what he was famous for, but I knew him as "that genie guy" up until that story about how he was never actually in a movie about a genie and two kids without a mom.

Haunted Shirt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:11 pm 

OpsiusCato wrote:
Oh, this is rather interesting as well

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodder_ch ... appearance

Any thoughts?
I've read more on this case than that Wikipedia and its a mess. The parents bulldozed the house before a proper investigation could be done. Their reasoning I believe was the site of seeing the burned up house bothered them. Which is reasonable, but a proper investigation wasn't able to be done. Then organs were found there, that turned out to be that of an animal. I always thought the parents knew more than they were letting on.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:38 am 

Number Stations are my favorite conspiracy theory, especially since they're real.

https://www.damninteresting.com/nugget/number-stations/

lost_wanderer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:16 pm 

The chicken recipe of KFC.

Haunted Shirt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:41 pm 

Xenophon wrote:
Number Stations are my favorite conspiracy theory, especially since they're real.

https://www.damninteresting.com/nugget/number-stations/

Yes, very good one. The creepiest one, is the one that has what sounds like a little girl speaking.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:49 pm 

Here's one that's always stuck in my head since reading about it in some paranormal book when I was a kid:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelly%E2% ... _encounter

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:05 pm 

This one I find particularly disturbing. https://www.reddit.com/r/UnresolvedMyst ... h=6cb5bf15 Not so much the disappearance, more so the letter that was received than anything. To think some sick creep has your daughter and has raised her as his own while feeding her... Well it makes me think the death penalty is not at all a bad thing.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:27 am 

Yeah, the Hopkinsville goblins are cool. Pretty much the ufo equivilent of getting your house egged by juvenile delinquents.

The number stations are interesting but not all that mysterious anymore. They are known to be failsafe broadcasts - if a secure site changes the scheduled broadcast or fails to appear the site is known to be compromised. There is a 2 cd set of recordings you can download.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

Haunted Shirt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:26 am 

One that I have heard for a long time, is the Bunny Man of Virginia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunny_ManIt was a man who went around in a bunny costume, with an axe scaring the Hell out of people. It sounds really funny writing it out, but it was actually a big scare for the area when it was going on. A little older, I just think it was some nut who was pissed that people were on his property. Or what he assumed was his property. For some odd reason he chose to wear a bunny costume while chasing people.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:54 pm 

there are 3 i am extremely interested in

first of all Harold Holt, then Frederick Valentich(didnt read the thread before but this one has been mentioned) but most interesting of all imo is elisa lam which is both disgusting but very interesting i love watching videos on it no matter how creepy it is

also i forget the name but its an old one in america with a german family who mysteriously disappeared but i forget its name

Obfuscation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:07 am 

While I don't believe the Elisa Lam case at large is a mystery, I do think it's a little odd that neither the people she shared a room with who had her moved due to her strange behavior or if she is indeed talking to someone outside the elevator why they haven't talked about it anywhere. It's not a complete stretch that someone simply asked her what she was doing in that video, there's a bathroom and a hallway right where she is looking. It doesn't even remotely take bipolar disorder as the reasons for what happened off the table.

Haunted Shirt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:34 am 

Obfuscation wrote:
While I don't believe the Elisa Lam case at large is a mystery, I do think it's a little odd that neither the people she shared a room with who had her moved due to her strange behavior or if she is indeed talking to someone outside the elevator why they haven't talked about it anywhere. It's not a complete stretch that someone simply asked her what she was doing in that video, there's a bathroom and a hallway right where she is looking. It doesn't even remotely take bipolar disorder as the reasons for what happened off the table.

Right, there's not much of a mystery to it. She has mental illness. From what I remember the water tanks are very easily accessible via a fire escape. Watching the video still creeps me out and sends shivers down my spine. I really think in her case it was mental illness.

Haunted Shirt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:49 pm 

Being a gamer and a fan of unsolved mysteries another favorite is Ben Drowned. The story went a guy bought a Zelda game, turns out the game was haunted. To my shock the person who found this "haunted" game and put up the original footage, eventually came out and said it was a fraud. He made the entire thing up and tweaked his game to make it do the things it did. Still a really good story if you are not familiar with it.

Need4Power
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:31 pm 

Elisa Lam was most likely murdered and dumped in the water tank. There is no other plausible explanation.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next