Combat 84
The Last Resort
Angelic Upstarts
Red London
Sham 69
Condemned 84
Skin Deep
Red Alert

Any other fans of beer-fuelled, boot-stomping British hooliganism?

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:12 am 

Funny I just found the newest Last Resort CD and was floored to hear that it doesn't completely suck. 4 Skins, Cock Sparrer, old Last Resort, that kind of shit is the best music to listen to full blast when driving through city traffic with the boys, open containers and windows down of course.

Muloc7253
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:14 am 

Nah new Last Resort is pretty cool, not as hard as 'Skinhead Anthems' but still tight nonetheless.

Sang Dalang Abu
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:25 pm 

How about this? You like it? :-D

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:33 am 

I used to be into English punk in my teens. The stuff that stayed with me a little bit was the Oi scene and a few select other bands (The Damned and Stiff Little Fingers mostly). I mostly had compilation albums from the scene but I particularly enjoy Cock Sparrer, 4-skins, The Business and Sham 69.

As for modern stuff I'm not up to speed but I think Dropkick Murphys are pretty great. While certainly not pure Oi they have clear influences from the scene. I love the gang-vocals they employ. Booze and Glory is quite nice as well. But I might be partial in the case as we're all blowing bubbles ;-)

I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:09 am 

I listen to a good bit of Skrewdriver (pre-Blood & Honour usually) and some French oi/RAC like Nouvelle Croisade and Legion 88. It's a really hit and miss genre for me, with some of it being the catchiest shit I've ever heard, and other stuff being absolutely forgettable in every way.

I've recently been listening to New Glory from Philadelphia and would definitely recommend them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP8vraSTJSk

Back Stabbath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:46 am 

While I always hated their whole Joe Hawkins bullshit, The Oppressed's cover of this puppy is at the absolute top of my DJ sets. Plus I have a shaven head and beat up nazi occultist wannabes for free drinks at the pub.

Muhammadabbadabba
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:28 pm 

Since Derigin gave me his blessing, I can definitely name loads of favorites.

Kudos to Numerator_41 for mentioning New Glory since "Backlash" is some of the best American Oi! ever put to record. A gruff melange of melodic riffs played at mid-tempo with shouted patriotic lyrics calling for skinhead unity define these Philadelphia bootboys' sound, with "Loyal and Brave" as one of the album's many highlights.

The Cracked is one of my absolute favorites. "In Search of..." is full of upbeat melodies and footstomping beats. Think of them as Slade meets The Business:

If you like your Oi! dirty, then you'll like The Macc Lads. "Beer, Sex, Chips 'n' Gravy" wholeheartedly embrace all things blokey and oafish. Absolute fun contained herein:

For much punkier, almost Hardcore brand of Oi!, you can't go wrong with The Blood. They're probably better known here for their more Metal stuff, but the debut album is ace:

Washington DC's Iron Cross, best known for bassist Wendell Blow who was also in Henry Rollins's band S.O.A., released this roughshod Oi! EP "Skinhead Glory." It's anthemic as you'd expect, but it's got American Hardcore's characteristic rough edge:

I'll round this list out with West Lothian band Skin-Deep:

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:41 pm 

The Exploited and the Cockney Rejects (both are listed here!) are a must-listen for every Oi! fan.

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

BastardHead wrote:
Somebody is getting murdered but poor razz just wants his beauty sleep.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:06 pm 

Oi! ist Krieg. Leave your fucking politics at home!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK-GlWH3M7I
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

BarrelAged
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:14 am 

Check out the band: Hammer and the Nails. Really dope oi! Band from Boston, plus I think they got one of the coolest fucking names.

https://youtu.be/uuT0ZiVZqXs

And also, Battle Ruins is a pretty fucking sweet band for om Boston featuring Brendan Radigan on vocal,, he was also in Magic Circle,Mind Eraser, and The Rival Mob (All great bands as well)

https://youtu.be/LeXBcRKK0xk

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:00 am 

I was never a huge Oi fan, even when I was obsessed with punk music, but Shock Troops by Cock Sparrer is one of the best punk albums of all time.

Dr_Prozac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:52 am 

I used to listen a lot of this kind of stuff some years ago but now I rarely find myself in the mood for this kind of music. "Shock Troops" by Cock Sparrer is an exception, it is an outstanding album that I still enjoy a lot. In fact, I think that even those who are not particularly keen on Oi! (or in punk as a whole) should give it a try, they might get a surprise.

I've got to say also that Sparrer still seem to have the potential to do some good stuff. When they released "Here We Stand" I thought it would be a shitty album made just to earn money, much to my surprise, I found that it was a quite decent release.

Other band that I think is worth mentioning is Cockney Rejects (their early stuff). Not really an outstanding band in the sense that what they did was not significantly different from what other bands in that scene did, but their songs somehow had some energy that cannot be found in the records by any other band of that generation.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:23 am 

Back Stabbath wrote:
While I always hated their whole Joe Hawkins bullshit, The Oppressed's cover of this puppy is at the absolute top of my DJ sets. Plus I have a shaven head and beat up nazi occultist wannabes for free drinks at the pub.

Always thought "nazi occultist wannabes" was more a symptom of Neofolk/Industrial stuff, but then given we're from Australia I have some inkling of what/who you mean. Absolutely cannot stand Oi!, RAC and Punk in general - being a street level bogan would be bad enough, wanting to create a subculture celebrating it seems like the stupidest thing I could imagine.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

~Guest 375902
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:32 am 

Oi! From Holland! Check out Milkman, they are super

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:55 pm 

I've never been a fan of Oi!, but the drummer in my current band also plays in The Warriors, which is essentially a continuation/offshoot of classic Oi! band The Last Resort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW_MCPz9t9A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5T4-kZ4nGo

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:36 pm 

Muhammadabbadabba wrote:
If you like your Oi! dirty, then you'll like The Macc Lads. "Beer, Sex, Chips 'n' Gravy" wholeheartedly embrace all things blokey and oafish. Absolute fun contained herein:

The Macc Lads aren't Oi, you thick yank twat. :)

Muhammadabbadabba
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:55 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
Muhammadabbadabba wrote:

The Macc Lads aren't Oi, you thick yank twat. :)

Tell that to Turkey_Beard :P

Haddock666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:37 pm 

I don't listen much Oi! anymore, but I like 4-skins, the professionals, cockney rejects etc. One of my absolute favorites is Perkele from Sweden.

I also like some skinhead reggae/ska but that's for another topic.

Pedophile SS. Improvised noisecore
http://pedophiless.bandcamp.com/

Catholic Bastards. Hardcore/crust punk
http://catholicbastards.bandcamp.com/

Nordic_Warhammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:46 pm 

I greatly enjoy oi and have for years. I went through my records recently and revisited some stuff, such as the Combat 84/Last Resort split, some Business albums, among other things. It is still one of my favorite genres, though I hesitate to try to find anything new.

Vorfahren: Neofolk from the Pacific Northwest https://vorfahren.bandcamp.com/releases

~Guest 189339
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:46 pm 

Well, love Oi!, have about 1000 records in my record collection of Oi! bands, past and present.

If I could do a top-ten, it would be so tough, but here are my favorites for today :D

Close Shave- Hard as nails
Combat 84- Orders of the day
Blitz- All out attack ep
4 Skins- A fistful of 4 Skins
any, i mean ANY Anti-Heros lp
Komintern Sect
Camera Silens- Realite
Discipline-Saints and Sinners
The Blood- False gestures
Τhe Uprise 7''

Reply to topic