Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
tehfoks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:52 pm 

So a few days ago I came across this new genre that I had no idea existed. It's a fairly new phenomenon (earliest examples I've found are from 2011-12) and it goes by either synthwave or retrowave. It's electronic music but nothing to do with popular contemporary chart-topping EDM, house and whatnot. It's heavily influenced by the glorious 80's and everything that comes with it, including new wave, synthpop, video game music, 80's fashion style, etc.

I've liked a fair amount of what I've heard so far and I was wondering if there are any other fans on here that would like to discuss this or recommend artists, or maybe even introduce some people to a refreshing new style of music! I should say that I'm almost completely uneducated when it comes to anything besides metal (and some rock) so I may be inaccurate about the influences and history of the genre.

Funny story about how I discovered this: I was deep down the youtube exploration rabbit hole perusing through strange metal suggestions, when I saw a link for "Perturbator - The Uncanny Valley" which sounded and looked like a metal act to me, at least in the thumbnail. To my surprise, it was anything but.

Anyway, tell me what you think!

Some of my favorite artists so far: Dance with the Dead, Carpenter Brut, Perturbator, FM-84, Lazerhawk.

EDIT: There is a channel called NewRetroWave that is pretty much dedicated to this genre.

Smalley wrote:
If I wanted a better version of something, I certainly wouldn't want it to start smoking crack, it'd get all fucked up and gross.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:16 pm 

Not a fan

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:32 pm 

We had a thread about this very recently, and in there FSM posted what wound up becoming my favorite in the style: Vector Hold

I much prefer the extremely chunky style like this, it gets the blood moving and there's a lot going on. Definitely the catchiest of what I've heard. I have a Pandora station dedicated to this style but the only artist I knew that Pandora seemed to know was Mitch Murder (no Perturbator or Vector Hold, the two I liked the most), who is okay but I'm not the biggest fan of. It's actually kind of a bummer because if this station is anything to go by, I don't really care for a huge majority of artists in the style. A lot of it is more atmospheric and chilled out and less like a fast paced Sega Genesis game, and I swear to god if I hear another Com Truise song I'm going to rip my own face off. The station did show me Carpenter Brut though, who I fucking adore so it's not a total loss.

The problem with the scene is that it's really obvious that a lot of artists are brand new to it. Yeah the style itself is really new and has a lot of room to explore still, but I mean I think a lot of them are brand new to making music at all and were attracted to the style out of either the nostalgic feel to it or the perception that it's really easy to make, so a huge amount of randos I listen to end up sounding really underdeveloped and overlong. Even Vector Hold, who I'm obviously in love with, grew leaps and bounds between his first two albums.

So yeah, if anybody knows more of the pulsing, doompdoompdoompdoomp style over the more chilled out stuff, I'm dying to hear it.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

tehfoks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:45 pm 

Hadn't come across Vector Hold yet. Pretty good. I also found some of the acts too tame, but some of them like FM-84 still piqued my interest. I think Dance with the Dead will be right up your alley. They're a lot like Carpenter Brut, who I agree is fucking awesome, my favorite of the genre so far. Their newest, Near Dark is more this style, not so much their pre-2014 stuff. You might also like VHS Glitch which seems very similar to Vector Hold, and Gost (who was apparently in Behemoth in the 90's) has a more modern sound but has the pulsing feel to it.

EDIT: You've probably seen it, but in case you haven't, Carpenter Brut's Turbo Killer music video is pure awesomeness.

Smalley wrote:
If I wanted a better version of something, I certainly wouldn't want it to start smoking crack, it'd get all fucked up and gross.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:49 pm 

this album will make angels weep

Odovacar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:43 am 

I totally dig newretrowave or synthwave or whatever it's being called. I remember getting into it because of the Blood Dragon soundtrack done by Power Glove and the Tron Legacy soundtrack. I started getting into artists like Miami Nights 1984, Timecop 1983, Perturbator, Mitch Murder, Kavinsky, etc.

There was a pretty amazing cover album of extreme metal done by retrowave artists about two years ago. Some really great interpetations of Beherit, Opeth, Death, Slayer, Mayhem, Darkthrone, Gorguts, etc.

https://synthesizer.bandcamp.com/album/ ... -synthness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWuDwNysX-A

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 2:03 am 

I too love this whole retro/synth wave thing, so much fun. ^ those metal remixes are ace.
Edit: oh my gawd that freezing moon cover made my night, thank youuuu.

Last.fm

Troodon_metallicus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 5:35 am 

There are really many great acts within this genre. Some of the best have already been mentioned, I'd like to add Dan Terminus and Mega Drive to the list. Try Cluster Buster, too.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 5:42 am 

Became a huge fan of this genre in the past year. I follow this channel on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD-4g5 ... LaNS_ghU4g

Helps me pick up a lot of new things.

Artists I've gotten into are D.Notive, Starforce, Lost Years, FM-84, and The Midnight. Definitely a genre that has surged inthe last few years.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 5:46 am 

BastardHead wrote:
We had a thread about this very recently, and in there FSM posted what wound up becoming my favorite in the style: Vector Hold

I much prefer the extremely chunky style like this, it gets the blood moving and there's a lot going on. Definitely the catchiest of what I've heard. I have a Pandora station dedicated to this style but the only artist I knew that Pandora seemed to know was Mitch Murder (no Perturbator or Vector Hold, the two I liked the most), who is okay but I'm not the biggest fan of. It's actually kind of a bummer because if this station is anything to go by, I don't really care for a huge majority of artists in the style. A lot of it is more atmospheric and chilled out and less like a fast paced Sega Genesis game, and I swear to god if I hear another Com Truise song I'm going to rip my own face off. The station did show me Carpenter Brut though, who I fucking adore so it's not a total loss.

The problem with the scene is that it's really obvious that a lot of artists are brand new to it. Yeah the style itself is really new and has a lot of room to explore still, but I mean I think a lot of them are brand new to making music at all and were attracted to the style out of either the nostalgic feel to it or the perception that it's really easy to make, so a huge amount of randos I listen to end up sounding really underdeveloped and overlong. Even Vector Hold, who I'm obviously in love with, grew leaps and bounds between his first two albums.

So yeah, if anybody knows more of the pulsing, doompdoompdoompdoomp style over the more chilled out stuff, I'm dying to hear it.

Definitely try out Lazerhawk's Redline:

The first few tracks aren't as throbbing as it gets later in the album.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:52 am 

Redline kinda sucks imo. Visitors is by far Lazerhawk's best, with Shark and Skull in a distant second.

People have already talked about Vector Hold and Perturbator, who are two of the best, but the last in my triumverate of favorites is Irving Force:

Those three are by far the darkest and most aggressive in synthwave so far. BastardHead is right that by far the majority is more "chilled out" stuff, probably coming from people more into EDM and trance or whatever. Coming from metal, there's only a little bit of that stuff that appeals to me.

I've been digging through synthwave A LOT in the last year, and the ratio of good to bad isn't, well, good, but it's a very young style. If you were getting into metal in 1981, after you listened to Judas Priest and Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath, you'd immediately fall into a vast swamp of mostly shitty bands. Perturbator's latest album sold like crazy, so I'm betting this is going to really start blowing up now that everyone is seeing that there's a big audience for this stuff.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:49 pm 

I will be posting something pretty cool sometime soon, thanks to failsafeman.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 4:47 pm 

I will talk about synthwave always, if given the opportunity. I'm a huge fan of Irving Force, TurboSlash, Mega Drive and Dynatron. Here's some recent, fantastic works to check out.

a. Diamondstein - Ridges / Fantastic synthwave that's really different for the genre, a lot more atmospheric and ambient works tied into the -wave formula.

b. Unitra - PostHumanity / Really awesome melodic, cyberpunk-y, claustrophobic sounds.

c. John Carpenter - Lost Themes II / The master is back, this album is fantastic.

d. Lost Years - Venom / This album is pretty much the sounds of cities; slower and more deliberate.

e. Ogre - 195 / This album reminds me a lot of Irving Force's work, put in the form of Perturbator, Terror 404's order of having credits and theme songs. Some of my favorite tracks in the entirety of synthwave are on this album.

f. Run Vaylor - Metropolis / Imagine if Blade Runner had a NightClub District. This is that album.

Last edited by ~Guest 98976 on Tue May 31, 2016 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:37 am 

Neat stuff, very similar to dungeon synth but with a slightly different fantasy twist. Even has the connection to metal music which automatically makes it superior to most music other music genres.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:30 am 

Yeah, not all synthwave is created equal apparently, but I think it goes way beyond the "connection" to metal in some peripheral sense that makes us metalheads so attracted to it. I was listening to a bunch of Perturbator and came to the conclusion that, obvious differences aside, the stuff basically *is* metal. While many pop music genres are vocal centric (well, plenty of power metal is, too, but discounting that) metal is a riff-driven genre and so is stuff like Perturbator. It's all about awesome synth riffs with huge, nasty, distorted synth tones. It's really the metal to dubstep's deathcore. The vast bulk of its greatness is the construction of really super catchy synth riffs and finding the right patches to match it, then finish things off with some guitar solos (I mean, uh, synth leads), toss some pounding beats under it for some rhythmic backbone, and maybe add some movie samples and you're good to go. So yeah it's the metal of electronic music really.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

~Guest 329938
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 2:19 pm 

!

Last edited by ~Guest 329938 on Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
LadyNyx
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:07 am 

Huge synth/retrowave fan.

I got into it a while ago after hearing the soundtrack of Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon. Has some absolutely great synth tracks on it, and by poking through related videos I found quite a few artists I've really enjoyed. I tend to like more of the darker themed stuff, such as GosT.

That's actually a remix of a GosT song done by Perturbator, but the original track is great too.

in_human_form
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:21 pm 

I actually got into synthwave after the original thread popped back up in The Tavern last August. No exaggeration, it basically changed my musical life. Now, 80-90% of what I listen to is synthwave (of all styles) and I started making my own shitty amateur synthwave music. I love the genre, even though I don't think it has as much "depth" as metal or other electronic (if depth is the right word). A lot of releases can be spotty, excessively cheesy, or unoriginal. There is a lot of good shit out there, though.

FasterDisaster wrote:
I will talk about synthwave always, if given the opportunity. I'm a huge fan of Irving Force, TurboSlash, Mega Drive and Dynatron. Here's some recent, fantastic works to check out.

d. Lost Years - Venom / This album is pretty much the sounds of cities; slower and more deliberate.

f. Run Vaylor - Metropolis / Imagine if Blade Runner had a NightClub District. This is that album.

I had never heard of Irving Force before you and failsafeman mentioned them. They're pretty cool! I also think your description of Run Vaylor's Metropolis is spot on. I heard it for the first time tonight and it has the cool Blade Runner feel but with a bigger focus on the beat than most synthwave.

As for Lost Years, I've only heard Black Waves (and a few other scattered songs). I like it, but sometimes I think it's a bit inconsistent, especially in the second half. I might check out Venom, though.

I also bought Sung's Collider EP recently and I think it has quite a nice sound. Another artist I've gotten into lately is Vogel. He has an EP that isn't strictly synthwave, but I quite like it. It also comes with a great remix by Makeup and Vanity Set and another decent one by Sferro.

Other artists I recommend are Magic Sword, ActRazer, Carpenter Brut (obviously), Daniel Deluxe (check out Corruptor!), Lazerhawk (Visitors or death), Mega Drive, Perturbator, Miami Nights 1984, Noir Deco, Robert Parker, Timecop1983, FM-84, Tokyo Rider, Tokyo Rose, and VHS Dreams. Dance with the Dead are pretty good too, but I've surprisingly found that a lot of their material can get old fast (still, they have some absolutely killer songs).

GosT and Dan Terminus are great, but are on a lower tier than Carpenter Brut and Perturbator. I also think that Carpenter Brut and Perturbator are much better songwriters than GosT.

Finally, I really recommend checking out NewRetroWave's Magnatron compilation. I was really impressed with it. It contains fantastic songs and is surprisingly very consistent for a compilation.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:41 am 

Soooooo...does Le Matos count? I've fallen in love with them since they scored Turbo Kid and wouldn't mind more stuff like it but don't really know where to look.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:28 pm 

For all those who like the dark and evil side of synthwave (aka darksynth) and can't get enough of it because there isn't that much of it...

Something cool will be coming out very soon. Consider this a sneak preview for all my M-A brothers and sisters.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:27 pm 

its not an official video but i think the song and the imagery go very well together.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:10 pm 

As much as I'll oppose the axiom of non-metal genres needing to be "metal-like" to be appealing, I definitely discovered Synthwave through the metal-scene; which I guess to some extent traces back to Blood Music releasing a great many metal-records but also having Perturbator, Dan Terminus and GosT on their roster - all three of which I enjoy.

I'm not hugely well versed in the genre yet, but so far my preference lies with acts like Perturbator, which balances the "retro" and the "future" of retrofuturism with a consistently slick and smooth sound which doesn't have quite as much of the minimalism; more cyberpunk than outright retro.

One act I've been getting into - albeit more retro-style synthpop, if my incredibly vague understanding is correct, is Le Cassette, who featured on one of the Perturbator EPs; a great voice set to relaxing electronic backing.

Lythronax
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:06 pm 

Haven't really explored the "canon" synthwave acts, but it's a term I've seen tossed around in reference to various things around the fringes of the industrial scene. Does Prurient's Bermuda Drain LP have strong elements of synthwave?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbBTRgDIf3A

in_human_form
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:09 pm 

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:
One act I've been getting into - albeit more retro-style synthpop, if my incredibly vague understanding is correct, is Le Cassette, who featured on one of the Perturbator EPs; a great voice set to relaxing electronic backing.

Meet Jimmy is such a good song! Le Cassette is just astounding there.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:18 am 

I gave myself a brief crash course on Perturbator and Lazerhawk yesterday. I'm in fucking love.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:28 pm 

So I just finished wrapping this up, it's a new project I just started. Very heavy and evil feeling darksynth. Lots of my metal background shines through here. If you like this track, let me know and tell your friends ;D

https://hexenkraft.bandcamp.com

Last edited by rexxz on Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:40 pm 

rexxz wrote:
So I just finished wrapping this up, it's a new project I just started. Very heavy and evil feeling darksynth. Lots of my metal background shines through here. If you like this track, let me know and tell your friends ;D

Lol reminds me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiB2q4KDq_A

voidgazer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:12 am 

What about vaporwave? The on-hold music Renaissance is here. Can only listen to in small doses or I start fantasizing about a life of success, have to switch back to Crowbar.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:15 am 

Diamhea wrote:
rexxz wrote:

Lol reminds me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiB2q4KDq_A

Hah I can definitely see the similarity there, uncanny.

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:08 am 

rexxz wrote:

Damnnnn dude, love it.

Last.fm

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:54 am 

Sounds awesome rexxz. Hopefully you get some play on the big youtube synthwave channels and such. There's still plenty of room in that thar bandwagon!

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:21 pm 

Thanks broski. I'm really hyped to release this. Going to be doing the rounds on blogs and other outlets as much as I can before (and after, too) the release date hits

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:34 pm 

BlackSynth Cyber Death Squad has to be basically the coolest damned track title ever.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:18 pm 

It's also my personal favorite track from the EP!

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:21 pm 

Here's the first teaser clip, check it out:

https://soundcloud.com/hexenkraft/teaser-01

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:09 pm 

Here's another teaser for my EP, this is track number 3:

https://soundcloud.com/hexenkraft/teaser-02

Anfauglir1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:50 pm 

I've become a huge fan on this genre in the past year or so, but to be honest, I tend to like the more cheesy stuff.

My favourite artist is probably MPM Soundtracks/Multipac.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2nbrVCo88Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGrVu6B8F-0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV1G-u4B-1o

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:06 pm 

The Hexenkraft debut self-titled EP is out now! 4 tracks of high-energy, laser blasting Satanic darksynth. Check it:

https://hexenkraft.bandcamp.com/album/hexenkraft

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:40 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
BlackSynth Cyber Death Squad has to be basically the coolest damned track title ever.

I think you're on to something there. I was also taken by the phrase "laser blasting Satanic darksynth."

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:44 pm 

rexxz wrote:
The Hexenkraft debut self-titled EP is out now! 4 tracks of high-energy, laser blasting Satanic darksynth. Check it:

https://hexenkraft.bandcamp.com/album/hexenkraft

So, months ago I paid for the preorder and just waited patiently. Today I see this post to go and get it, and I'm only getting options to buy it again. I figure "oh, it's because I'm not logged in". I sat there for ten minutes, trying every username I use all over the internet, nothing is working. Neither of my emails are being recognized either. I'm sitting here screaming horseshit because I know I've bought plenty of shit on bandcamp and it always shows me my damn collection whenever I purchase something, so something is clearly wrong and I can't figure out what the fuck it is.

Those ten minutes pass before I realize "oh wait, maybe you can buy shit without an account and that "collection" is just the recent purchases from my paypal". So I go check my email and sure enough, there it is, waiting for me.

I'm listening to it now and I'm a much happier man.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next