Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
dragons_secrets
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:48 am 

I still use it occasionally but not nearly as much as I used to. I find that the similar artists tag is no longer as varied as it was. Apparently, the artist radio runs off of Spotify now so that shuffles out all the obscure bands and demos that aren't on Spotify. And that was the main reason I was on there before.
" -- Ozzy Osbourne - Breaking All The Rules

Discogs

stefan86
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:15 am 

You can change between Spotify and YouTube in the user settings :)

Add me on last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/stefan86

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:40 pm 

stefan86 wrote:

Oh really? Had no idea. I guess it is possible to scrobble tracks you listen to on youtube after all.

stefan86
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:00 am 

Festivus wrote:
stefan86 wrote:

Oh really? Had no idea. I guess it is possible to scrobble tracks you listen to on youtube after all.

Depends on your definition of scrobbling YouTube tracks, it changes the artist previews from Spotify to YouTube :)

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:27 pm 

stefan86 wrote:

Depends on your definition of scrobbling YouTube tracks, it changes the artist previews from Spotify to YouTube :)

Sadly you can't scrobble songs from youtube to Last.fm yet. The few scrobbler apps I've seen for that aren't official and have bad reviews.

stefan86
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:10 am 

Festivus wrote:
Sadly you can't scrobble songs from youtube to Last.fm yet. The few scrobbler apps I've seen for that aren't official and have bad reviews.

That's crap. Hope they don't manage to kill the whole site with this beta launch mess. Someone is gonna get poop on their doorstep if my 200,000+ plays were for nothing :D

wharton
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:18 am 

I use it before but I don't use it now.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:34 pm 

I hate the new layout, but continue to use it anyways. I've considered doing a reset, but I've been scrobbling since 2005, so I don't want to after almost 11 years.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

deathmetalfan6
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:37 pm 

i don't entirely hate the beta version. it's ok but i prefer listening to music from sites that actually host it like spotify, vkontakte, and soundcloud rather than site that gather music from youtube like the new last.fm and the new myspace although i also use them every now and again.

OneRodeToAsaBay
Unangeschnallt den Bullen reingefahren

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:29 pm 

Festivus wrote:
stefan86 wrote:

I tried using FoxyScrobbler for a little while and it worked so-so (seemed to have trouble staying enabled, I'm not sure why) but unlike Bandcamp there doesn't seem to be much of consistency in how people title their videos so there's only so much a browser extension can do when trying to parse the titles. I don't listen to music on youtube that often so it wasn't worth the bother. I do use FoxyScrobbler for Bandcamp, though.

risermiser
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:54 am 

Last.fm have gone worse and worse over the years, but still got some good applications with the help of other sites. I don't know if anyone had posted it before but; if you are using vk.com, i recommend you this application. It gives the taste of the old Last.Fm radio, unlike the cheesy radio playlists of Spotify. It's called Openlast Radio.

http://vk.com/app2387943

I frequently use this application and Last.fm to explore new bands, although this beta site really sucks so many ways.

~Guest 320911
Past his bedtime

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:06 pm 

I stopped using Last.fm after it they went it for a subscription-driven model.

I enjoyed listening to music on Lasf.fm till the time it was free, there was so much music there across genres.

Unfortunately, all good things have come to an end and my usage of Last.fm was no exception. Nowadays, when I'm logged into Last.fm, whatever I play from my laptop/smartphone gets scrobbled and is displayed in my Last.fm profile. It was such a delight to see "Now Listening/Now Playing" on my profile.

My Last.fm profile - www.last.fm/user/V_Ganesh

wrathchild_88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:17 pm 

It's been months since they released this 'beta' that I haven't heard anything positive about. Unless they're completely revamping it again, I can't believe that this is how it's been for so long. But if it was the case that nobody liked it, then maybe they would have reverted to the old layout, or at least give people the option to do that.

I still use the site, just for scrobbling, but since they've obscured the charts a bit I haven't looked at it that much.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:08 pm 

I see the beta still doesn't send email notifications for follows, etc (unless there's something I forgot to enable). I think the beta kinda killed any community/socializing there, and something like that is pretty hard to rebuild. Then again its not like I ever talked to anyone on there, but I did meet one friend there.

I noticed there's an option to have up to 50 of your last played songs displayed. Is this a new thing? I always thought it capped out at 20. I miss having that side-panel or whatever with widgets. The one with the album covers was my favorite. (probably mentioned this before) My favorite feature with the beta is having albums w/ album covers on the profile page. Its a decent substitute for that widget I was mentioning. I wish it would display more than 8 though. "Top tracks" doesn't matter to me since I'm strictly an album-only type. The new charts/library doesn't bother me (in fact I may prefer the new chart system more) - but I tend to forget it exists.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:04 am 

Perdition666 wrote:
I see the beta still doesn't send email notifications for follows, etc (unless there's something I forgot to enable). I think the beta kinda killed any community/socializing there, and something like that is pretty hard to rebuild. Then again its not like I ever talked to anyone on there, but I did meet one friend there.

LastFM was never a good site to chat but back in time I met some people who are now my friends on Facebook, so I think it was worth of it.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:40 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
Perdition666 wrote:

LastFM was never a good site to chat but back in time I met some people who are now my friends on Facebook, so I think it was worth of it.

There were plenty of user groups. Many were active back when I joined the website in 2009. But in the last couple of years they were kinda dead, if I'm not mistaken.

stefan86
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:43 am 

Paganbasque wrote:

I met one of my best friends through last.fm in 2009, went to Summer Breeze festival that year and we've been regularly visiting eachother in our countries and at festivals after :)

Emptiness Cycle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:47 am 

Just noticed the epic edit of the thread title. Well played, M-A.

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:43 am 

I deleted my account not long after the beta site took over. The UI is just... borderline unusable now. I loved keeping track of my listening and seeing what other people had to say about bands/songs, but it just wasn't really navigable any longer. Decided to make my statement by just leaving when it became clear that last.fm (read: CBS) wasn't going to listen to their users and make the site worthwhile again. Damn shame.

Part of me is happy to be free of scrobbling though. My charts no longer influence what I want to listen to, in terms of how it would make my profile look. I also no longer have to turn off the scrobbler every time I want to listen to a grindcore album like Gigantic Brain's 'Invasion Discography', or leave Opeth or Reverend Bizarre on all night so they actually made an impact on my charts, lol.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:23 am 

You know, I normally wouldn't bump an old thread but I've been thinking lately... how long until Last.FM finally dies? The community aspect of it is pretty dead now. Has been so for soem years. Ofc back in the mid-late 2000s, when social networking was in its infancy and FB and Twitter weren't a global thing nor did places like Discord existed, Last.FM was a rather nice place for people to form small groups and find meet people with matching musical taste. Nowadays you don't even need Last.FM to tell you when there is a new concert anymore. That can easily be done on FB.

The website might seem dead nowadays if you check the shout section of artists, but tons of people still scrobble daily. Probably not as many as before 2014 or so, though.

I also have thought... why is Last.FM basically the only place that can gather scrobbles? Why don't mobile apps such as google music do that? Windows Media Player kept track of how many times you played each song back then, but not many people use/like WMP these days. Everyone seems to use Spotify, foobar, itunes or even Winamp(me sometimes) still. Spotify already knows what you've listened to in the previous week, with its Discover Weekly playlist. Not to mention it also has recommendations... so what stops Spotify from keeping stats of the music you listen to and allow you to scrobble as well? Granted it'd be only for music available on Spotify, but it'd be a nice feature nonetheless. Perhaps one day Spotify will eventually buyout Last.FM or something? Btw, apparently Last.FM are owned by CBS, which is an American tv network.

I wonder how Last.FM make a profit even. Not many people use premium, I bet. Do they sell our scrobbling information to labels and marketing research companies or something? That's gotta be it. How else would CBS or whatever company owns it profit from owning such place? Dunno if the place has ads since, like many other people, I use an adblock plugin.

Oh and btw, the worst thing the update did was basically making all of those cool fan made widgets die. I do't think any of them work any longer. That's another thing Last.FM should have thought about. They're all about keeping track of the music you listen to. Instead of letting fans make those widgets why didn't Last.FM made an effort to do some of those themselves?

It'd be kind of a shame if the website suddenly folded one day, though. I got about 30,000+ scrobbles or so there. All of this since 2009. For them to suddenly just disappear forever one day would be kind of sad. Granted I was listening to music way before I could scrobble it. And not every song I listen to is scrobbled to Last.FM, but I'd still feel a bit sad if the website suddenly went away and I lost every single scrobble there. Does the website even allow you to export your scrobble statistics, anyway? That'd be nice.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:18 pm 

I think scrobbling is literally the only thing last.fm is good for these days.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:13 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
I think scrobbling is literally the only thing last.fm is good for these days.

Well, tbh that is the most important feature of the website. If they messed that up, it would be the final nail on the coffin.

I'm surprised there isn't more competition for Last.FM out there. Is it that hard to make a website that keeps track of what people listen to on their devices and various apps? At this point, it's probably Spotify that is keeping them alive.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:36 pm 

Most people don't seem to be interested in such statistics. A lot of other music listening/library programs do keep track of how many times you've listened to individual songs, but don't connect that to links to webpages about the band. Plus a lot of people now listen to music digitally without even using mp3s or other song filetypes, by listening to streaming radio or songs posted on youtube, for example. Last.fm doesn't have a way to capture that kind of listening information, correct? So it would take a bit of doing to create an all encompassing tracking system anymore. That's not even considering the already existing deficiency of last.fm regarding vinyl, cassettes, and the like.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:55 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Most people don't seem to be interested in such statistics. A lot of other music listening/library programs do keep track of how many times you've listened to individual songs, but don't connect that to links to webpages about the band. Plus a lot of people now listen to music digitally without even using mp3s or other song filetypes, by listening to streaming radio or songs posted on youtube, for example. Last.fm doesn't have a way to capture that kind of listening information, correct? So it would take a bit of doing to create an all encompassing tracking system anymore. That's not even considering the already existing deficiency of last.fm regarding vinyl, cassettes, and the like.

There is a Last.FM plugin that enable scrobbling from websites such as youtube and bandcamp to Last.FM. Dunno if it's officially endorsed by Last.FM itself or if it was a fanmade plugin. But it's available on Chrome Web Store. Dunno what other websites it can scrobble from, but probably more.

I think another thing that used to make Last.FM great were the recommendations. They used to have the best/most accurate recommendations.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:48 pm 

the recs are still pretty good albeit a bit weird now sometimes

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:55 am 

tomcat_ha wrote:
the recs are still pretty good albeit a bit weird now sometimes

Why does that happen now? Did they mess around with the algorithm or something?

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:31 pm 

I use Lastfm exclusively for the "similar band" feature.
As innacurate as it may be sometimes it still is the best one I've found so far, because it displays whole freaking pages of possible suggestions, including some really obscure ones, which is always good =p

DesecratorJ
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:29 pm 

Yeah, I use it mainly for statistics purpose because I like seeing my background as what I was listening to and etc.

RakdosWarlord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:01 am 

Never liked last.fm to be honest. I don't understand the appeal of everyone knowing what your are listening to and when. If I want to share I'll share.

EatTheRich
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:06 pm 

Last.fm was pretty useful for finding local shows of bands that you've been listening to via the recommended concerts feature. But since no one goes on Last.fm anymore after the design change, no one except a bunch of east Germans is adding shows here anymore, and the site is entirely crowdsourced since the owners never fuckin cared to pay anyone to properly maintain it, it is completely useless now.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:43 pm 

I went back to this site last night after being away for several years.

Apparently I can't update my own band's page anymore to add current pictures and the few songs I uploaded of my band have disappeared. I assume this is because of the transition to Spotify that others have mentioned.

I mean ... if I can't update my own band's artist page who can?

hmi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:28 am 

I like lastfm's similar artists feature. It's especially great for new/unfamiliar styles of music where you only know 1 or 2 artists and want more. This website has the same feature, but is limited to metal. lastfm has all styles of music.

pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:10 am 

Still use it, still love it - just not as much as I did before the redesign.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:42 am 

I'm in the camp that retains it purely for statistics purposes. At this point though, I'm not even sure why I do that. Habit I guess?

For those who use the similar artists feature, does it work the same way as MA does?

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Inkshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:17 pm 

I haven't used it since 2014. I could never get scrobbling to work properly and I listen to most of my music on analog formats and CD these days so it's kind of a moot point.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:45 am 

Terri23 wrote:
I'm in the camp that retains it purely for statistics purposes. At this point though, I'm not even sure why I do that. Habit I guess?

For those who use the similar artists feature, does it work the same way as MA does?

it works by looking at bands with similar tags and what other bands people listen to afaik

Woutjinho
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:49 pm 

I used it but statistics it's not reliable for me for all actual cds and vinyl I listen to and YouTube as well.

I use Sonemic for rating all the stuff I listen to. (the new site Sonemic will be up in a few months I guess. It's still called rateyourmusic.com for now) That site will give you great statistics.

Atomization - Spotify

moniker
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:53 am 

well this brings back memories but unfortunately i dont use it anymore for a long time since i listen music on youtube most of the time. i dont have any songs on my phone to listen to on the go/offline. i stream them all now

EvilIncarnate
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:59 am 

I still use it, occasionally. I've barely scrobbled over the past few years and the company that ending up buying Last.fm obviously don't know what the fuck to do with the thing. It's been in "beta" for thhe past few years and almost everyone universally hates it. I miss browsing the last.fm forums for dumb shit, and it's very unintuitive now to actually connect with people via it.

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:08 pm 

Yo.

https://www.last.fm/user/al3x0

Last FM

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next