Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:47 am 

Taken from their Facebook:

Quote:
!!!ALBUM NEWS!!!

Hey everyone! It may seem we were a little less active this year but now we're back with some great news!

The writing process of our fifth album is to be completed very soon. Actually all music is written at this point and we have already made plans and decisions which we want to let you know today:

First comes the most important. We consider ourselves a progressive Brutal Death Metal band and that means we can't do the same thing over and over again. We love to play the nastiest brutalest Death Metal as much as we love to be musically challenged and advance into new territory. Normally we combine these two things into one sound which is what we became known for. Now for our next album we changed this concept and instead of mixing all ingriedients together into one progressive brutal stew, we will go in two seperate ways.
Which means...

YES, we will record a SPLIT album with ourselves!!
One side will be the most brutal, more simple, more caveman Brutal Death that we ever made - but don't worry it will NOT be boring!!

The other side will be everything else. Technical, oldschool, progressive - just like we love to hear it from our old Prog Thrash&Death heros but of course we do it in our own way!

The album will again be released by Willowtip Records. Our cooperation has been extended by a new two-album contract. They have been reliable and professional and we couldn't be happier with what they offered us.

We will record the album in two parts. We have scheduled the first recording session at the end of the year.
It is too early to give a release date yet but we are looking at summer 2015.

Share this around and get excited. We can't wait to nail this beast down, it's going to be a perfect fifth album for us!!!

Normally I wouldn't share this since I can't stand the majority of Brutal Death Metal, but Defeated Sanity is great and Passages Into Deformity had some dark, brooding moments that I loved. I don't really like their mindless blast beats so honestly I'm only looking forward to the second half of this. That old school, progressive side sounds delicious.

This will count as a new record and not a split, I hope :-P

UPDATE:
New rehearsal footage with new songs

Suttee

At One With Wrath

Last edited by TheMysticWombat on Sun May 08, 2016 2:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:14 am 

This sounds pretty cool. Wasn't too big on "Passages..", but I probably just need to listen to it more. Looking forward to this!
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:37 am 

Interesting idea. I'll give it a try once it comes out. I expect these two different sides of Defeated Sanity to work best when combined, but it might be interesting.

DeathcoreDecimator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:49 am 

I'm pumped for this. Defeated Sanity is just about the only brutal death metal band that still keeps me entertained. Now they're distilling down their music into some primitive knuckledragger jams? Shit that's all I ever wanted from this band in the first place. I like their progressive and technical elements as well, but I'm definitely more excited for the former.

havockillz
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:27 pm 

cool idea and im def hyped for it now.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:32 pm 

This is a pretty brilliant move and idea. They could've stopped making new albums and I'd be fine with it because all their albums are still highly enjoyable on repeated listens. Now I'm curious to hear their brand of death metal distilled into two separate styles.

If anyone's curious what a mostly technical/prog album from DS sounds like, check out the debut album. It's basically early Gorguts worship.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:50 pm 

Intriguing format. Rather than trying to morph varying directions into the standard format (a full-length) they have deliberately separated them. The format makes the intent clear, and it seems they are artistically separating the endeavors, which should help them focus the music better. I'm not a fan of the band but the format interests me.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:57 pm 

This is going to be epic. Defeated Sanity is otherworldly and I jam 'Passages' regularly and often, not to be redundant. ;)

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:38 am 

If they could just add a little personality to their music (like Extremely Rotten), that would be interesting. Their music just has so little character.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:03 pm 

Amazing! Love the band, they have yet to disappoint me. The (ahem) "split" sounds like a pretty cool idea, can't wait to hear it!
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

heavymetalbanger1989
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:32 pm 

I think that's called a 'compilation.'

Commandaunt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:31 am 

I'm extremely interested. Awesome concept.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:52 am 

heavymetalbanger1989 wrote:

Since it's going to feature newly-written original material, I think it's 'not'.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:33 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
heavymetalbanger1989 wrote:

Since it's going to feature newly-written original material, I think it's 'not'.

+1

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:03 am 

Compilations can feature new material that just wasnt intended for an EP or album. Regardless, its not a compilation and its not a split. It's just them trying to spin an album divided rather clumsily down the middle as something other than what it is.
Hehe, foreskins.

TheIbexMoon666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:45 am 

LeMiserable wrote:
If they could just add a little personality to their music (like Extremely Rotten), that would be interesting. Their music just has so little character.

I totally understand what you mean. However I disagree. I think this is part of what makes Defeated Sanity's sound so dark and punishing. No remorse. I can't wait for some new material. They literally get better and better with every release.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:05 am 

Crick wrote:
Compilations can feature new material that just wasnt intended for an EP or album. Regardless, its not a compilation and its not a split. It's just them trying to spin an album divided rather clumsily down the middle as something other than what it is.

:scratch: If an album has only new material that was recorded and written for that particular release, why would it be a compilation?

Of course it's not a split, but obviously the band feels that it will seem split-esque because it comprises two halves of different kinds of material, so the band jokingly calls it a split album with themselves. It doesn't make any sense to say it's like a compilation in that sense, and to me it seems pretty odd to call them out for erroneously dubbing it a split album, when clearly they don't intend it in the strict sense of the word. A simple descriptor to illustrate the nature of the album, nothing else.

putrenista
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:15 am 

I like the idea they have for this new release. It sorta reminds me of when bands would sometimes name each side of the record. Like Bathory with "Side Darkness/Side Evil."

I don't know what Defeated Sanity would label this one though. "Side Caveman / Side 21st Century Progressive, Technical, but also Old-School, and still Brutal, but not, you know... Brootal"

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 1:30 am 

Rehearsal footage of new songs was posted on their fb:

I thought they were kidding about the more "sophisticated" half but holy shit, check it out. Those bass sweeps are incredible.

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 9:27 am 

Sounds interesting, I remember Blood Duster doing a similar thing on Lyden Na with their grind/rock stuff and it didn't suck.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 9:33 am 

A split album with themselves? That's just the kind of crazy idea that could only come from guys with a.... defeated sanity. Zing!

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 2:49 pm 

TheMysticWombat wrote:
Rehearsal footage of new songs was posted on their fb:

I thought they were kidding about the more "sophisticated" half but holy shit, check it out. Those bass sweeps are incredible.

I was a little skeptical, but now they easily got themselves a sale. What an amazing band.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Eradicatedseraphim
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 6:59 pm 

I'm interested in the hint of self-deprecation considering their brand of "caveman" death metal is insanely technical in its own right. I found Passages a bit formulaic, but this should more than make up for it.

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:07 pm 

LeMiserable wrote:

You kiddin'?

Very few bands in death metal have released albums that are notably similar to the styles we see Psalms of the Moribund, Chapters of Repugnance, or Passages into Deformity. Despite having that "Suffocation turned up to 11" element to them, their style of brutal death metal is distinct and all their own. Their combination of technical ability and songwriting simply makes them a standout band. They offer tons of musical variety while maintaining intensity, speed, and a progressive edge - something very few bands are great at. If you're not a fan of their type of songwriting, that's fine, but really, I keep returning to Defeated Sanity simply because nobody does what they do as well as they do it. Psalms was completely ahead of its time. It could have been just released today and it'd would probably still draw a lot of attention.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:09 pm 

Kind of similar to what Opeth did, though I doubt that was their inspiration. :P

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 2:24 am 

droneriot wrote:
Kind of similar to what Opeth did, though I doubt that was their inspiration. :P

As someone who has listened to more Opeth than is healthy, I'll have to say it reminded me of them too.

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:04 pm 

Update from Defeated Sanity on the new "split", from Facebook

Quote:
Today we would like to give you an update on what’s going on in the DS camp.

As some of you may know all instruments for our new album have been recorded a few months ago.
With Konni leaving the band and being less available due to his new job we were left with a gap in the vocal department that threw us back a couple months and the lyrics took extra time too.

But now we have some good news for you...

Konni has recorded 3 songs from the „caveman“ side of the new album with two more to go. That will happen in a few weeks but not before Berlin Deathfest.

For the prog/oldschool side of the split we will have a special appearance from MAX PHELPS who is mostly known for his live session work in CYNIC and DEATH TO ALL. We are glad and proud that he wants to record the album as he has a perfect voice and style for this oldschool Prog-Death hommage. He will record his tracks with us here in Berlin in one month from now.

And last but not least, for everyone attending the BERLIN DEATHFEST (9./10. Oct) we are going to present the whole new album in two different live sets. Saturday night will have KONNI on vocals, making this his last show with Defeated Sanity. For Friday we will have MAX on vocals and KEVIN HEIDERICH on second guitar to complete the line-up.

BOTH shows will be very special and attendants will get to hear the whole new album with the recording line up, which is an absolute one-timer!!!

Although Max Phelps fucking ripped in Death To All 2013 and 2014, I don't know how he's going to fit on the record. From some interviews he stated how his throat still wasn't used to DM vocals but that was almost 2 years ago. Konni's shoes are going to be hard to fill seeing as that dude replicated vocals perfectly live.

This album has taken a while to finish. Should be worth the wait.

Terminus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:13 pm 

Oooh, I think I'll like the prog side of it. That vid sounded neat, and far more suiting to my recent musical moods than their usual stuff. I probably won't touch the caveman half with a ten thousand foot pole, though.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:50 pm 

The simpler side of Defeated Sanity was never really that simple so unless they're focusing more on straightforward grooves and structures for half of the album, I still think their signature technicality will still be there in full force as far as the actual music is concerned.

I'm not familiar with Max outside of live clips for Death to All, but having someone closer to Chuck's style would be something I'd be interested in.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:04 pm 

Seems super silly to split it up like that. Why not mix em up and have a bit more diversity as the album goes along? I guess you could always make your own "playlist", but too many metal bands go for a "cohesive" release and it ends up just all blending together. Minor gripe to most I'm sure, but an albums structure can really effect how it's enjoyed, in my opinion.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:43 pm 

I've been looking at this as less of a "split" and more of a hearkening back to when before CDs became the norm, so albums were written and structured with both A and B sides in mind. The choice to have a difference in styles is merely taking that concept to another logical conclusion. I too suppose it could also be done with having the songs mixed over the course of the entire album, but having two separate vocalists distinctly indicates that each "side" is supposed to purposefully have its own identity. It seems to me like that was perhaps the plan all along, it just came down to a question of who the other vocalist would end up being.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:18 am 

Slight update, according to their Facebook

Quote:
So we have premiered our whole, soon to be finished album on the one and only Berlin Deathfest!
It will consist of two eps.
We announced the title of the brutal ep already which is "Disposal of the dead".
So after playing the whole thing I thought its time to announce the title of the tech EP which will be entitled: "Dharmata"
Tracklisting:
1. Intro
2. The mesmerizing light
3. At one with wrath
4. The quest for Non-existence
5. Return to Samsara

I noticed this thread is over a year old, so Defeated Sanity are certainly taking their time releasing this. Due, no doubt, to the departure of Konstantin Luhrig, which I had no idea about. Still have some decent hopes for this, but I'm cautiously apprehensive.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:30 am 

Curious just for the 'caveman' side. Not a fan of technical wankery here.

"You make it easy."

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:15 pm 

I want to hear both sides. if they ever get around to releasing it.

Deathstalker1985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:00 pm 

I'm looking much forward to the more technical side, Defeated Sanity is one of the few 'brutal death metal' bands I care for. The 'caveman' stuff that this genre is plagued with in general doesn't do it for me.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:05 am 

Deathstalker1985 wrote:
I'm looking much forward to the more technical side, Defeated Sanity is one of the few 'brutal death metal' bands I care for. The 'caveman' stuff that this genre is plagued with in general doesn't do it for me.

Yeah, I'm probably more interested in the tech side than the caveman side, too, although I am curious to hear both to see what they've done.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:21 am 

For those that are impatient and want to take a peak at the upcoming material from their show...

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:32 pm 

They're releasing a DVD of their most recent US tour (which was fucking incredible to witness) and it has a small preview of one of the newer songs they performed live.

Damn this thread is old.

diseas3
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:28 am 

Great news man ! This band deserves the attention it gets and even more.

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:45 am 

I can't believe it's been a year and a half since they announced this already but the teaser looks great. I'm a big fan of band DVDs anyway, Cannibal Corpse's Centuries of Torment and Global Evisceration are staples of my viewing pleasure to this day. I saw them live last Summer and asked Christian the guitar player when the new album would be released and he said I don't know, next year. I thought it was a miscommunication between us or he just wanted me to fuck off but I guess he was right.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next