Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
adace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:17 am 

Interesting track, seems like they've gone back to their 90's style somewhat. Really looking forward to the whole album.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:01 am 

If this is a real track, then consider me pumped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AIo-Pys3dg

There's a heavy KAMPFAR feeling in the slower parts.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:45 am 

Kveldulfr wrote:
If this is a real track, then consider me pumped:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AIo-Pys3dg
There's a heavy KAMPFAR feeling in the slower parts.

I like it too.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:56 am 

It's definitely real but it's only the first half of it. Such an awesome start to the album, I love it when they kick off tracks with Grutle's screams.

ghroth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:36 pm 

Well, it's for sure real as NB have taken the video down...

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:48 pm 

This got posted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a640Wu6PQbs#t=46

I'm assuming it's the leak you guys were all talking about. It sounds awesome and is giving me high hopes for the remainder of the album.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:06 pm 

Yep, that's it. Silly they posted an edit and not the full song. There's only 3 more minutes and there's not a whole lot different in the part they cut.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:02 pm 

New song sounds pretty awesome! Definitely seems similar to what we saw on RIITIIR, but that's not a bad thing. I have a feeling that well isn't completely dried up yet. I'd like to see an ambient track on here in the vein of Axiom. Grutle is sounding better than his usual throaty scream on here in certain parts.

Blizk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:18 pm 

I had a look at Spotify, and my assumption was correct. The full track is up over there, not sure if it's Premium only.

CardsOfWar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:55 pm 

The new track sounds great! It's a bit more savage and wall noise-esque than anything on any of their recent albums, but that's not really a bad thing. Typically odd lyrics.

Master_Debater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:54 pm 

If anyone's curious, the song at the end is Building With Fire.

Very excited for this.

DennisDemoniarch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:41 pm 

The new album artwork is terrible.
I hope that just starts and ends there, with the terrible. Good grief.

I listened to that track posted above and didn't really get that excited either to be honest.
The clean vocals appear dry.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:35 pm 

The only thing I don't like about the art is the weird rune/glyph thing, otherwise I love the colours and texture. Kind of a disappointment, though. Enslaved has a history of absolutely fantastic cover art from Isa onward.

DennisDemoniarch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:40 pm 

Maybe it's one of those cases where the band was given an art budget, but spent it all on booze, bitches, and blow... and at the last moment one of the band members whipped out a jiffy marker and scribbled on some old band stock photo and changed the over all color red and they were set... art bought and paid for and none the wiser...

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:55 pm 

Really looking forward to seeing them next month. I like how energetic their shows are without feeling "pushed," if you know what I mean. Just a really good time all around.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:13 pm 

This. Also I'm really looking forward to buying the CD on tour. I almost never buy CD's from merch stands but I'm sure they'll have copies a plenty so I can get one after the show. Who knows hopefully they'll even have some special editions of the new album for the tour.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:55 pm 

Here's hoping. I'm definitely more likely to buy albums at shows (maybe it's good I don't go to record stores drunk). I wasn't swooning over their shirts last time, so hopefully this time shirts will happen.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:53 am 

Yeah, their shirts on the last tour were embarrassing. Hopefully they have more 90s album cover shirts like they did a couple years ago.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:47 am 

Dare I ask what these terribad shirts looked like?

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:16 am 

Easily googled for the RIITIIR tour. Definitely wouldn't call them embarrassing. Just not for me.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:19 am 

I can see why some people wouldn't like them as they are kinda cheesy, at least the one I got, but I still like it. It has some charm to it.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:36 am 

The new single sounds OK, the first half is just brutal and a nice surprise, the second half sounds a little more formulatic and boring, repetitive i would say.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:14 am 

I guess I am officially over Enslaved. I tried listening to the new song, and it was sounding alright, but as soon as the clean singing kicked in I found myself turning it off. Which is a shame, because they used to be one of my favourite bands. It was by Ruun that I started to get bored by their music, and have barely been able to listen to anything since.

The new song sounded like a step in the right direction as far as my personal taste towards Enslaved goes. I will try and give it another listen, but I get the feeling I'm done with this band.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:28 am 

schizoid wrote:
I guess I am officially over Enslaved. I tried listening to the new song, and it was sounding alright, but as soon as the clean singing kicked in I found myself turning it off. Which is a shame, because they used to be one of my favourite bands. It was by Ruun that I started to get bored by their music, and have barely been able to listen to anything since.

The new song sounded like a step in the right direction as far as my personal taste towards Enslaved goes. I will try and give it another listen, but I get the feeling I'm done with this band.

Did you try Axioma Ethica Odini?, its a great album, darker, more brutal and more straightforward than the other prog oriented albums.

putrenista
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:50 am 

DennisDemoniarch wrote:
The new album artwork is terrible.

Yeah. I didn't like it at first either. I'm thinking it might look better in person though, holding the actual LP.

The other thing is that they released a new video for the song "Thurisaz Dreaming." I find the idea of lyric videos pretty stupid to begin with, but whatever. Then I'm listening to the track and it's not even the full song! Why would they make a lyric video for only half the song?

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:01 pm 

Paganbasque wrote:
schizoid wrote:

Did you try Axioma Ethica Odini?, its a great album, darker, more brutal and more straightforward than the other prog oriented albums.

Man, Blodhemn was brutal. AEO was just a bit heavier than Vertebrae but never felt like a 'proper' black metal album or a heavy album at all.

I think that new song is in fact a step in the right direction but it's too soon to say the album as a whole will be good or not. I almost hate Herbrand's clean vocals and those have been getting more used each time.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:55 pm 

I thought AEO definitely felt "heavy;" it was Vertebrae in my mind that was just kind of this amorphous genre-ball that never really coalesced into a coherent sound. The only album where the prog elements didn't mesh well with the sound IMO (save New Dawn, which is great); I know a lot of people feel that way about Ruun too but I always thought that was a great album.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:08 pm 

Regarding Enslaved's shirt design: it's always been sorta shitty. I remember the design for the Isa and Ruun era shirts and they were just horrible. I have one from the AEO tour and it's not horrible, but it's still kinda tacky. It's brown, which I though was kind of interesting, because at the time I was mostly trying to get out of wearing black only band shirts. I think the RIITIIR shirt was really good, though. All white with a black line art tree rune thingy. I'm kind of over band shirts, these days, though. I still wear them from time to time, but I find they are mostly tacky. Enjoying album art on the album itself is enough for me, thank you!

And sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who loved Vertebrae. It was pretty fluffy and light, but it was catchy and memorable and very psychedelic.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:42 pm 

Vertebrae is fantastic. I don't get the hate.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:46 pm 

Joining in on the Vertebrae love. Amazing album. It's the perfect progressive metal/progressive rock marriage.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:57 am 

Kveldulfr wrote:

Man, Blodhemn was brutal. AEO was just a bit heavier than Vertebrae but never felt like a 'proper' black metal album or a heavy album at all.

I think that new song is in fact a step in the right direction but it's too soon to say the album as a whole will be good or not. I almost hate Herbrand's clean vocals and those have been getting more used each time.

I would say that AEO was MUCH heavier than Vertebrae which was too soft and pro-oriented in my eyes. Anyway The Watcher was an awesome track which was a perfect indication of what was comming at that time.

I was not talking about Blodhemn, which is much older and the first prog influenced albm but still with many influences from the past.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:36 pm 

Regarding AEO. It was MUCH heavier live. In fact, some of the songs that sort of fell flat on the album (Giants, for example) sounded really badass live.

bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:56 pm 

New song from NB up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O7GhZB ... e=youtu.be

Fuck. It's just an edit. Why can't they put up one whole fucking song??

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:09 pm 

schizoid wrote:
I guess I am officially over Enslaved.

:o Noooooooo.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:39 pm 

PvtNinjer wrote:
I think the RIITIIR shirt was really good, though. All white with a black line art tree rune thingy.

I got that one too, for the same reason (had way too many black band shirts). I normally don't like overly simplistic designs on a shirt but since is was a white shirt, I guess I had no issue with it (not a huge fan of the black shirt with simplistic white art on it).

bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:28 am 

Full album stream. Finally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwvcXnD ... e=youtu.be

Master_Debater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:18 pm 

Almost done with the first listen, in my opinion it's their most experimental. Definitely requires a few more listens to settle in......

DennisDemoniarch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:06 pm 

Well, my first impression after listening is ... whoa, started off heavy and fast... now it has worked it's way into leaving the impression that it is an Enslaved album, and they are really good at what they do, but it also feels like they are playing it safe, an album of exactly who they are and what they do... which is all fine and what not, I do not see the album disappointing anyone, and at the same time I do not think any particular part of it is something really new being tried by the band either. They have AC/DC'd, thankfully they are not Iron Maidening though.

Decent listen. I will buy the CD. Skipping vinyl and it's added expenses with shipping etc etc for this decent, but safe album... with absolute garbage art cover.

Hmm, also seems this could be less radio friendly if such a term were to be used, the song : thoughts like hammers totally sounded written in that very easily accessible sound, cannot say any particular song off this new one has a song like that. Seems harsh vocals had a moment in every song.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:17 pm 

bronxeel wrote:

Thanks! Let's see...

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:08 pm 

I'm almost done with the second spin of the new album and it's just incredible. It is the perfect fit for the direction this band has been going. These guys just keep getting better.

Like your reviews?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next