* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:00 pm 

Jabawock wrote:
Small question for the owners of the japanese version:

I've read somewhere that these pedals were designed for the old boss adapters, which were effectively 12V instead of 9. Thus the "lack of power" and low-glowing led when using a normal 9V adapter.
The thing is I do have an adapter that can go to 12V, but is it safe to use it for the hm-2? I'd hate to fry it, you know ^^
Also, I noticed that when it's plugged to a 9V adapter along with other pedals (I have the 1spot from Visual Sound, with a daisy chain), the led is glowing brightly as it should, so I guess it's operating normally. Would there be a difference if I plug it separately using my 12V adapter?

(I know this is quite easy to verify but again, I don't want to take any risks and damage the pedal, so I thought some of you might know about this ^^)

Don't. Use the proper one. It might work butt it will slowly spoil.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:18 pm 

what somefella said. if you do it you'll fuck it up. Don't be a fuck up.

Chainsaw Omega
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:41 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:

Actually, you can do what he's doing. Here is an article explaining the difference between the ACA and PSA adapters.

http://stinkfoot.se/archives/726

For the lazy people, here's the gist. The ACA pedals, such as the HM-2, has a resistor in then that would take the 12v and bring it down to 9v. If the HM-2 is in a daisy chain with a 9v pedal, they share a common ground, and the voltage voltage limitations are bypassed. I am not well-educated enough on electronics to understand why that happens, but I can say from user experience that it does, in fact, work. Also, I've tried using the HM-2 with the recommended 12v ACA adapter and compared it with the daisy chain, and it makes no difference whatsoever. Just remember though that if you are going to run it with a 1spot, you NEED to have another pedal with it, which you should, because everyone should own a tuning pedal anyway.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:26 am 

Oh it will work all right. I'm just saying it isn't the best choice. BOSS sent some infomercial to my workplace stating to use only the PSA ones for all their products just in case.

Chainsaw Omega
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:43 am 

Not really, you implied that it would kill his pedal. It won't. Of course Boss recommends using their own product to power their products. This has been a known workaround for years. Also, people have been modding their Boss Pedals to bypass the resistor for quite some time now. The mod in functionality, does exactly what daisy chaining does.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:53 pm 

Yea having to remember to run it with a second pedal and in the first spot is a great way to fuck it up, you are just fueling the potential that he might.

Jabawock
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:06 am 

Chainsaw Omega wrote:
ShaolinLambKiller wrote:

Actually, you can do what he's doing. Here is an article explaining the difference between the ACA and PSA adapters.

http://stinkfoot.se/archives/726

For the lazy people, here's the gist. The ACA pedals, such as the HM-2, has a resistor in then that would take the 12v and bring it down to 9v. If the HM-2 is in a daisy chain with a 9v pedal, they share a common ground, and the voltage voltage limitations are bypassed. I am not well-educated enough on electronics to understand why that happens, but I can say from user experience that it does, in fact, work. Also, I've tried using the HM-2 with the recommended 12v ACA adapter and compared it with the daisy chain, and it makes no difference whatsoever. Just remember though that if you are going to run it with a 1spot, you NEED to have another pedal with it, which you should, because everyone should own a tuning pedal anyway.

Thanks for this info! So now I know that using it in the daisy chain as I do now is just as good as having the original adapter, that's what I needed :)
Also, from the article, I understand that it is indeed safe to use a 12V adapter (any, not specifically the Boss one, provided that it's regulated), but I'm not gonna try and just keep it in the chain, since it won't bring anything extra.

Chainsaw Omega
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:33 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Yea having to remember to run it with a second pedal and in the first spot is a great way to fuck it up, you are just fueling the potential that he might.

1spot is just the brand of power adapter he said he was using, not the position the pedal needs to be in the chain. The hm-2 could be anywhere. The only thing that could potentially happen when running through a daisy chain off an adapter is if you somehow disconnect all of the connections except for the hm-2, which at that point, your pedal would become underpowered, and you'd know right away as your tone would drop completely, the LED would dim or go off, and any other pedal you're running with it would die. If any of the other pedals in your chain aren't true bypass, your signal will die completely. Basically the only scenario I can think of where you won't notice IMMEDIATELY is if you are on stage with zero ability to hear yourself, running ONLY a tuner with true bypass and the HM-2, and SOMEHOW you manage to only disconnect the tuner. The only scenarios I can see this actually happening is if 1. someone actually unplugs your tuner from the chain while you're playing, or 2. you pick up your board and throw it across the room. Scenario 1 leads to a boot in the face, and scenario 2 is your fault because you're an ass.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:37 pm 

Yeah, 1-spot = this

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessor ... combo-pack

TuckerofThorrAxe
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:00 pm 

Everybody going on about the "tube tone" the EW gets are derp as hell. Those Sound City heads are just giant loud clean channels. And they don't use just those. Liz uses Laneys, and Jus uses wheatever the hell he can. At Roadburn, they've been using Model Ts. Really, in most doom anymore, it doesn't matter what amp is being used as long as it's loud and clean and runs pedals well. Not to step on toes or anything, but those amps play such an marginally role in the grand scheme of things in their tone.

And the Dopethrone and Come My Fanatics tone WAS a Boss Hyper Fuzz. Whether you think some other pedal gets the tone pedal or sounds better for their later albums is completely arbitrary in this context.

splyu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:38 pm 

I used to have one, but it never got me the sound I was looking for (for guitar that is - but it was great for turning the guitar into a 'bass' when I didn't have one :D). Then again I'm not much into DM. I had no idea what it was at the time, was just looking for some distortion for my first electric.

Come to think of it, I probably still have it somewhere. If anyone wants it, I could go looking for it and send it over if and when I find it. No guarantees though as I have no idea where it is.

It's what Emperor used to get that bee-in-a-jar sound, is it?

TuckerofThorrAxe
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:32 pm 

Depends on the album. I know In the Nightside Eclipse was Peavey Bandits and a Boss Super Overdrive.

diotimaa
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:22 pm 

Jabawock wrote:

I've read somewhere that these pedals were designed for the old boss adapters, which were effectively 12V instead of 9. Thus the "lack of power" and low-glowing led when using a normal 9V adapter.
The thing is I do have an adapter that can go to 12V, but is it safe to use it for the hm-2? I'd hate to fry it, you know ^^
Also, I noticed that when it's plugged to a 9V adapter along with other pedals (I have the 1spot from Visual Sound, with a daisy chain), the led is glowing brightly as it should, so I guess it's operating normally. Would there be a difference if I plug it separately using my 12V adapter?

(I know this is quite easy to verify but again, I don't want to take any risks and damage the pedal, so I thought some of you might know about this ^^)

Semi-related post here: I got my Taiwanese hm2 recently, and the thing sounded great with a 9v battery. I went out and bought a boss 9v power supply, and the thing sounds awful. It has all the symptoms of being underpowered, the LED is barely glowing and the tone is just a complete static-y mess. Anyone have any experience with a similar problem? Or did I just get a lemon?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:06 am 

that actually sounds like what happens to many using a power supply. stick a battery back in it and if it sounds great again... just always use a battery

Chainsaw Omega
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:38 am 

diotimaa wrote:
Jabawock wrote:

Semi-related post here: I got my Taiwanese hm2 recently, and the thing sounded great with a 9v battery. I went out and bought a boss 9v power supply, and the thing sounds awful. It has all the symptoms of being underpowered, the LED is barely glowing and the tone is just a complete static-y mess. Anyone have any experience with a similar problem? Or did I just get a lemon?

Same as the Japanese ones. The daisy chain thing works fine. If you insist on running it by itself and don't have an old 12v Boss adapter, then just use batteries with it. I don't suggest that in the long-term though, as they do eat through 9v's pretty quickly.

Deathroll92
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:59 pm 

Hey guys.
I would like to know what amps do you use with your hm-2 for the swedish tone?
I tested it with a jcm900, and without a tubescreamer or another od pedal it sounds like shit. It's really good on blackstar's (the made in china ones) clean channel and a marshall dsl2000 with a little crunch.
I'll probably buy a Fender Roc Pro 1000 but before I do that I'll test out the pedal on it. Hence the question about the compatibility between amps and the HM-2.
Thanks!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:06 pm 

honestly you have to sit there and fuck around with the settings on both.

I've used it with Ampeg SS150's I've used it with a Randall RG300, Crate G600XL, Sound City 120L. There is no particular great one to use, just mess with the knobs and make it work for you.

Chainsaw Omega
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:43 am 

I use a JCM 800 2203KK model. I usually have pre and post gain at pretty much 12 o clock for tone purposes unless if I can't be that loud, then I bring the post down a bit. For EQ, I do it traditional and dime every setting except presence. On a Marshall, this tends to work best considering the prominent high-mids of the so-called "Marshall Sound." I've played around with a bunch of other amps, and some sound good, some don't. Blackstars sound good, but a bit more nasal than I like. I do quite like how the HM-2 sits with the crunch channel on a 5150 and a VTM. the pedal does get along well with a Fender Bassman.

You're right about the 900 though. I've never liked that amp to begin with, and something about the gain stage of that amp makes it really unfriendly with any pedals, the HM-2 included. I did play a JCM2000 DSL 50 for a while, and it did sound good with that for sure. Would still be using it if I hadn't found the deal I did on my 800.

I'm unfamiliar with the Roc Pro 1000, but from what I skimmed through just now it seems like a solid option. I am always wary of solid-state heads, as the vast majority of them to my ear sit unfavorably in a live mix, but there are exceptions.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:23 am 

As far as i know Dismember usually combined 5150's with their HM2's.

High Gain
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:40 pm 

Has any boosted their HM-2 with a Maxon 808? I tried this after seeing a video clip online from Lasse Lammert. It actually sounds pretty good. It makes the pedal a lot more touch sensative as far as picking up finger noise from chord slides.

On another note, a company called wren & cuff makes a HM-2 like clone with a few added features. The price may be subjective whether it is worth it or not compared to an actual HM-2, but check out the clips.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:51 pm 

There's a lot of small builders that have clones of the HM2. I know one that's call the Left Hand Wrath. and Dunwich is doing one called the Lady Baphomet

bluehemisphere
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:19 pm 

To continue the list:

Ulcer (Poland, Death Metal)

p4vl
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:47 am 

Just to change the subject a little, I got an Arion Metal Master last week. De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas is one of the best metal albums ever and I love Euronymous' tone. He ran an OD pedal in front of his Metal Master (probably the Arion version of a TS9), which is what I've been doing. Joyo's Ultimate Drive (Fulltone OCD clone) is a nasty OD that compliments the Metal Master nicely.

It's a great old school pedal but unlike the HM-2, I don't think it would sound better with lower tunings.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2