Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:56 am 

Gave it a listen out of morbid curiosity and I kind of wish I hadn't. Generic and appallingly uninispired alternative metal-ish chugging, a chorus riff thatì sbasically a tired rehash of a Reroute to Remain outtake, and some of the most annoyingly forced vocals Friden ever puked into a microphone.
If this is representative of what we can expect from the rest of the album, just keep it away from me.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

VampireofTheNazereth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:07 pm 

They literally recycled the riffs from Superhero of the Computer Rage, and another song.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:39 pm 

A second song was released.

Read about it here: http://www.metalsucks.net/2014/06/12/ob ... song-week/

Full on alternative rock.

The thing is I didn't hate this one. It's not something I'd bang my head to either nor is it entirely original but there's worse stuff out there.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:46 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:
A second song was released.

Read about it here: http://www.metalsucks.net/2014/06/12/ob ... song-week/

Full on alternative rock.

The thing is I didn't hate this one. It's not something I'd bang my head to either nor is it entirely original but there's worse stuff out there.

It could almost pass for a modern Katatonia song, but it's completely devoid of Katatonia's emotional power. Color me unimpressed.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:51 pm 

This sounds like Taproot with keyboards. Is late 90s alt hard rock making a comeback already?

VampireofTheNazereth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:27 pm 

I am really digging the second new track. Reminds me a little bit of Anders other band, Passenger.

This is really catchy. "My destination..." part.

I wouldn't mind more tracks like these.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:48 pm 

Yikes, that 2nd song is even worse than the 1st one. I'm all for bands changing, experimenting, and expanding their sound; many bands over the years have done it with great success, but In Flames have completely killed everything that was original and great about them. They've sounded pretty generic for awhile, but now they really sound generic and absolutely boring. I can't even see their mega-fans who love their more recent output digging this stuff.

ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:04 pm 

And people thought Reroute was a sellout album :lol:

I really don't know what to say. SOAPF was pretty uninspired, but they managed to coast by on autopilot and not alarm anyone too much. This is like a whole bunch of people got onboard a plane and the pilots just never showed up.

ghroth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:07 am 

You know it's bad when even the "IN FLAMES WE TRUST JESTERHEADS!!!!" fanboys on Facebook are hating these new songs.

Murtal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:36 pm 

In flames became MeloDICK Death Metal

even I like sounds of playground fading(which is damned da hated by old IF lovers)

but I think this new album would be the worst album in IN discography.

It is level of asking alexandria and other PUNK metal bands posers love very much.

:fuck:

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:21 pm 

The whining about In Flames puts a big smile upon my face. This means that the band has continued its development and continues to explore new grounds without trying to please fans and mainstream media. I'm still surprised that those who think that Clayman was their last amazing album continue to listen to the band. You are just going to disappoint yourself. Guys, all of this happened one and a half decade ago and the band won't go back there. In Flames released a couple of nearly perfect melodic death metal records, even their first record "Lunar Strain" was brilliant in its genre. You almost can't improve from there. So instead of just failing to beat your classics and deliver worn-out copies of it, it makes sense that the band moved forward and I really like their more alternative and modern style. Both new songs please me a lot and I also liked the two previous albums, especially more controversial songs like "The Chosen Pessimist" and "Liberation" were my favourites because I like their atmospheres and emotions.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:42 am 

Wow, these songs are just really bad. Well, perhaps the second one which is a clear departure of the last albums style has some interesting melodies, and the clean vocals are better than expected, I may like this one in the future. The other song is like a b-side of the last album, pretty bland and boring.

I also think that this is going to be the worst IF album, I would like to be wrong though.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:13 am 

kluseba wrote:
The whining about In Flames puts a big smile upon my face. This means that the band has continued its development and continues to explore new grounds without trying to please fans and mainstream media. I'm still surprised that those who think that Clayman was their last amazing album continue to listen to the band. You are just going to disappoint yourself. Guys, all of this happened one and a half decade ago and the band won't go back there. In Flames released a couple of nearly perfect melodic death metal records, even their first record "Lunar Strain" was brilliant in its genre. You almost can't improve from there. So instead of just failing to beat your classics and deliver worn-out copies of it, it makes sense that the band moved forward and I really like their more alternative and modern style.

Man, you're delusional if you truly think IF plays music that goes against the mainstream media. They turned their backs to death metal to become a mainstream rock/metal band and thus they changed their target fanbase towards something bigger: nu metal and causal rock/heavy music listeners. This is the perfect sellout example.

Let's face it: Anders can't be a bigger wannabe Jonathan Davis only cause he's Swedish. He has even said in gigs that their old albums suck and fans shouldn't ask them to play older songs anymore, so what's your artistic integrity there? If they think they were the top dogs of melodic death metal once, why Anders or the whole band would feel ashamed of that?

I can get that people like what they're doing now, but it doesn't mean they're doing a whole artistic overhauling because they just softened their sound; they simplified their music a lot and got to the basic loud intro, soft verse, loud chorus poppy formula with no riffs whatsoever.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:46 am 

kluseba wrote:
The whining about In Flames puts a big smile upon my face. This means that the band has continued its development and continues to explore new grounds without trying to please fans and mainstream media. I'm still surprised that those who think that Clayman was their last amazing album continue to listen to the band. You are just going to disappoint yourself. Guys, all of this happened one and a half decade ago and the band won't go back there. In Flames released a couple of nearly perfect melodic death metal records, even their first record "Lunar Strain" was brilliant in its genre. You almost can't improve from there. So instead of just failing to beat your classics and deliver worn-out copies of it, it makes sense that the band moved forward and I really like their more alternative and modern style. Both new songs please me a lot and I also liked the two previous albums, especially more controversial songs like "The Chosen Pessimist" and "Liberation" were my favourites because I like their atmospheres and emotions.

I would have agreed with you if you were talking about A Sense Of Purpose. However, with these new songs the band isn't actually moving forward at all. They are moving backwards towards a third grade Reroute. The songwriting has become even more formulic than Playground Fading, and while most of the songs on Playground Fading still had some energy behind them to counter the unimaginative songwriting (like Liberation, which I actually quite like) these new songs (especially the second one) are boring, formulic, cookie cutter alt rock songs. Nothing progressive or forward about them.

This new album will most definitely be a worn-out copy of Reroute to Remain and Playground Fading. They are not moving forward at all.

puggy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:34 am 

Kveldulfr wrote:
He has even said in gigs that their old albums suck and fans shouldn't ask them to play older songs anymore, so what's your artistic integrity there? If they think they were the top dogs of melodic death metal once, why Anders or the whole band would feel ashamed of that?

This seems unlikely. They've said other things in the past which directly contradict this. Where are you getting this from?

VampireofTheNazereth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:26 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
kluseba wrote:
The whining about In Flames puts a big smile upon my face. This means that the band has continued its development and continues to explore new grounds without trying to please fans and mainstream media. I'm still surprised that those who think that Clayman was their last amazing album continue to listen to the band. You are just going to disappoint yourself. Guys, all of this happened one and a half decade ago and the band won't go back there. In Flames released a couple of nearly perfect melodic death metal records, even their first record "Lunar Strain" was brilliant in its genre. You almost can't improve from there. So instead of just failing to beat your classics and deliver worn-out copies of it, it makes sense that the band moved forward and I really like their more alternative and modern style.

Man, you're delusional if you truly think IF plays music that goes against the mainstream media. They turned their backs to death metal to become a mainstream rock/metal band and thus they changed their target fanbase towards something bigger: nu metal and causal rock/heavy music listeners. This is the perfect sellout example.

Let's face it: Anders can't be a bigger wannabe Jonathan Davis only cause he's Swedish. He has even said in gigs that their old albums suck and fans shouldn't ask them to play older songs anymore, so what's your artistic integrity there? If they think they were the top dogs of melodic death metal once, why Anders or the whole band would feel ashamed of that?

I can get that people like what they're doing now, but it doesn't mean they're doing a whole artistic overhauling because they just softened their sound; they simplified their music a lot and got to the basic loud intro, soft verse, loud chorus poppy formula with no riffs whatsoever.

Haha. You are delusional.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:37 pm 

kluseba wrote:

Really? This sounds like the band is digging back to stuff they listened to 10-15 years ago that guided the band's change in direction. They've taken that sort of direction in the past - they took off on melodic death metal and made some legendary material, and they also began to lead the pack away from it when they fused it with even more overt 80s worship on Colony, though the power metal worship was quite apparent with songs like Wayfaerer. They changed the genre with Clayman - nearly every modern melodic death metal band of the last 15 years owes a huge debt to that album. They really pushed that style to an end there. They were all over the place with Reroute, everything from remnants of their previous two albums to pushing Euro nu-metal to alternative rock to the weird, almost country-rock "Metaphor."

Their style over the next two albums made flames of the sparks of Reroute. They went heavy on the rhythm guitar grooves, some guitar melodies, and made a new sound - melodic groove metal, some sort of alternative metal, whatever you want to call it. The critical flaw on STYE and CC was that the keyboards were an afterthough, they didn't include a keyboard player in the band nor in the songwriting process, and it completely killed the songwriting dynamic that had made the band so special.

A Sense of Purpose showed the band's reintroduction to successful form. They had become more comfortable with their style, and once again the songwriting matched the sound and the purpose of the music. They were mixing the heaviness and melodies of their melodic groove metal style with the alternative direction that they seemed intent on going - somewhat of a more traditional rock format, self-conscious but honest to what found appealing in their own music. It was their best album since Clayman, and the only coherent one since then.

"Sounds..." was absolutely terrible - they lost the balance of a second guitarist in songwriting, they tried to make it vocal-driven while being unaware that their vocalist wasn't very good. The guitar work, and by relation, songwriting, was tiredly single-minded and simplified, trying to create space that Friden couldn't fill, leaving even more space than when they filled the music with prominent synths. The lyrics drove the mediocrity - Friden's introspection on Clayman was stark and had a rawness to its flow. It felt like the music was driven by the band socially breaking the chains of death metal, where they were finding themselves ill-fitted, and trying to find a new crowd with the inaccessibly rough, but not the most die-hard. Sort of a social thing, where their hearts were true, dedicated, and battered, but still driven. Compare "Jester's Door" to "Pinball Map" - one is illusively bewilderdered, yet eccentric and colorful - the other is simply dull. This contrasts heavily to the extroversion disguised as introspection on "Sounds..." which was unbearably strained. The lyrics are representative of it, but it is wholly the direction of the music: they were staring into the past through the lens of what they had done, and the music felt awkward, out of touch with both what they were trying to do, what they had done, and what they were doing.

These new tracks find the band further out of touch with the scope of their visionary capability. They're throwing leftover bumper stickers on an '01 and calling it a new model. They're not developing, they're digging into some of the less successful portions of their past - some of the simplest groove stuff from Reroute, Anders' band Passenger, Niklas' band Engel, and coming up dry on the most distinctive traits of In Flames.

Zartaza
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:29 pm 

Very weak songs so far and Fridén sounds so tired all the time. I know the band is doing something more groovy nowadays but it just disappoints me that it's so weak.

IdiotFlesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:53 pm 

These guys are tight though like, the first chugga chugga at the beginning of the first single sounds hard as fuck to play in time.

James Bester
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:03 pm 

As low of expectations as I had for these singles, I had no clue they would be THIS awful. I guess I would barely call it nu-metal at this point. And I actually didn't mind several of the songs on SOAPF, which makes me pretty merciful compared to a lot of the fans of In Flames' older work. With this, I can't find even one riff that's catchy in the least. It still kills me seeing In Flames fans defend this shit and calling us "haters" for not being able to "leave the past behind." I couldn't care less about a change in style, as long as it brought about actual entertaining tracks. For instance, I actually haven't minded Opeth's recent new tracks, as dramatically different as they are from the norm, because they still have something to offer. These are pretty much generic rock tracks... and pretty terrible ones at that.

CaulkRocket
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:24 am 

I remember when they released Reroute to Remain. I went to their website because I hadn't heard it yet, and their logo was Star Wars themed and it said "In Flames: Gothenburg Hardrock". They don't even consider themselves metal at this point, so I don't mind.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:46 am 

Well, the album leaked and I heard a low-bitrate rip.

It gives me a good idea of what this album is trying to do. In Flames wants to be an alternative rock band but not completely alternative rock. This is their most accessible, melodic and least metal release yet. Is it their worst? That's what I'm trying to figure out. I kinda like it, but that's me. Would I rank it higher than any of their classic albums? No. It's better than STYE at the very least. Anders Friden sings most of the time. And he's definitely gotten better. Bjorn attempts to solo on most of the songs and he's fairly good. This is a lot like SOAPF in style when it's heavy, but not as heavy. This is definitely their most experimental. There's no songs that really evoke that old In Flames sound (compared to the past three albums which had something... like SOAPF had A New Dawn) though Filtered Truth does seem to try for that a little.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Thezorai93
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:55 am 

I'm seriously not hyped for this album since the time they were blasting off "The Jester Race" is now over. I've quit listening In Flames to a regular basis a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time ago.

Terminus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:34 pm 

puggy wrote:
Kveldulfr wrote:
He has even said in gigs that their old albums suck and fans shouldn't ask them to play older songs anymore, so what's your artistic integrity there? If they think they were the top dogs of melodic death metal once, why Anders or the whole band would feel ashamed of that?

This seems unlikely. They've said other things in the past which directly contradict this. Where are you getting this from?

Not to mention that they played The Hive as recently as 2012. (Supposedly. I walked out just before. For the record I was there on a sort-of-date.)

As for the new songs, I haven't listened to Rusted Nail yet, but I kind of like Through Oblivion. And I've hated basically everything I've heard from them since Clayman. Obviously, I like it for completely different reasons I liked older In Flames, but meh. The modern Katatonia comparison seemed fairly apt.

ColeMiner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:08 pm 

I like 4 songs out of 11 in the album. Stupid songwriting and ridiculos screaming vocals makes this a very frustrating listen. This is below average alt rock. I'd rather listen to Seether than this

Reduced
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:50 pm 

I wouldn't consider this a metal album. It's a mix of pop, alternative rock, screamo and perhaps metalcore. I have always kind of respected In Flames for writing decent pop metal even though I would never listen to it, but this is just bad. No hope left for this band, I'm going to give Subterranean a spin instead.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:32 pm 

I wasn't expecting much too be honest. It's just plain boring and uninspired. What a shame.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:43 pm 

Makes Reroute To Remain sound like Painkiller.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:45 pm 

kluseba wrote:
The whining about In Flames puts a big smile upon my face. This means that the band has continued its development and continues to explore new grounds without trying to please fans and mainstream media. In Flames released a couple of nearly perfect melodic death metal records, even their first record "Lunar Strain" was brilliant in its genre.

lol. Dream on, Aerosmith.

Listened to Rusted Nail. It sounds like Linkin Park. It amazes me that there are still apologists out there who defend this shitty band and their awful, awful music.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:07 pm 

I decided to hunker down and relisten to Soundtrack To Your Escape and count the songs I like. There's about 7 songs on there that I liked. Friend, Dead Alone, My Sweet Shadow, Evil in a Closet, In Search for I, Superhero of the Computer Rage, Dial 595 Escape. Reroute to Remain has 10 songs I like as does Sounds of a Playground Fading. I pretty much like the whole Come Clarity and A Sense of Purpose albums, as well as Clayman, Colony, Whoracle, Jester Race, Subterranean and Lunar Strain. So, until Siren Charms, STYE was still the album I liked least of all In Flames albums.

So while my metal cred probably just got thrown out of the car window while driving 60mph on a highway that has a 65 mph speed limit (because going 80 mph would be totally speed metal and restore my metal cred thus ruining this metaphor)... I can safely say that I like STYE better than Siren Charms. There are only a couple of songs I like, and several others that have various neat things about them but overall the songs don't go anywhere. Filtered Truth starts slow, has horrible Anders doing Anders, and a sort of catchy riff in the middle. Dead Eyes has a neat solo toward the end. When The World Explodes is probably my favorite song on the album because of the guest vocalist sounding a whole lot better than Anders, even though this also contains the most cringeworthy screams Anders has ever done in any In Flames song ever. With Eyes Wide Open falls flat on its face like it had its eyes close while navigating a stairway. So in all, I'd say I like only 5 songs from this album. The first three are sort of semi decent sort of. Then, I skip to When The World Explodes and finally Dead Eyes because both are sort of okay. And that's it. Rusted Nail is the perfect representation of this album, because it contains the strange "new" vocals Anders is experimenting with, some vague throwback to the old albums, a blatant rip off from their new albums, and parts that are quiet and radio friendly.

So there you have it. STYE is no longer In Flames worst album, and this is coming from the most blatant In Flames apologist on the Metal Archives.

druivo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:57 am 

i listened to the whole album and, holy shit, it´s BAD.

by far their worse album ever. not a single song that wasn´t generic/self-rip-off.

it´s a shame because i am a big fan of every album until Reroute, and i even liked most of the post Reroute albuns (some more, some less).

bu this is just really, really bad.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:36 pm 

Holy Mother of God. The fuck did I just listen to?

Only listened to it once so perhaps it's a bit too early to make such a major claim, but this might very well be the Star Wars Christmas Special of Gothenburg bands.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:43 pm 

I relistened to "My Sweet Shadow" off of STYE. That album is a documented 0% to me and this was what I thought was the best the album had to offer.

Listened to "Rusted Nail". The start wasn't bad (I'm a sucker for those clean melodies), but then :o I thought I was listening to the shit flavor of the week modern rock band. Hooo, just drivel. Went back to "My Sweet Shadow" of all IF songs to wash away that bad taste.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:46 pm 

The staggering thing is, Rusted Nails is easily the most memorable song on the whole damned album.

I'm really not exaggerating here.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:49 pm 

Inb4 people start calling SoaPF an underrated and misunderstood modern classic. :|
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:03 am 

Pretty sure kluseba already said that years ago :P .

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:18 am 

Probably the first time I'd ever agree with a bitterman review.

puggy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:22 pm 

Murtal wrote:

even I like sounds of playground fading(which is damned da hated by old IF lovers)

but I think this new album would be the worst album in IN discography.

It is level of asking alexandria and other PUNK metal bands posers love very much.

:fuck:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Metaljerk

Vampire From Nazareth
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:19 pm 

Anyway SC is better than SOPF, i enjoyed it more, there are some In flamesish songs , but its dissapointing when they can't release albums even similar to Come Clarity

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:15 pm 

Murtal wrote:

I liked this way too much.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next