Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
imcominforyou
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:12 pm 

androdion wrote:
Can't be that hard to understand, and the "everybody else says otherwise" argument really makes you sound like you're not thinking for yourself here. Which you should. ;)

I'd be inclined to agree if it wasn't for the fact that I can't find "melodic groove metal" mentioned anywhere else online. That's an anomaly that shouldn't occur. For me, groove metal is intrinsically melodic, and for that reason it seems redundant to include "melodic" in its subgenre, much like how "melodic power metal" is redundant.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:10 pm 

OK, that's a whole different aspect, so I'm not going to meddle. Maybe contact one of the Mods to get a better response? PM Diamhea for instance.

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:15 pm 

androdion wrote:
OK, that's a whole different aspect, so I'm not going to meddle. Maybe contact one of the Mods to get a better response? PM Diamhea for instance.

Don't encourage him....please
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:28 am 

PDS wrote:
androdion wrote:

Don't encourage him....please

:lol:

Liam Oliver
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:47 am 

Just curious on how this website defines 'Epic Metal'?

I have always thought Epic Metal to refer to powerful fantasy/mythology themed Metal usually along the lines of oldschool Heavy/Power Metal bands such as Manowar, Virgin Steele and Manilla Road, whos songs and albums are almost like legends or fables. Pretty much the same way these websites class it:

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/antreas72 ... est_bands/
http://www.last.fm/tag/epic%20metal

I have noticed bands on Metallum tagged Epic Metal that fit with this common definition, and some tagged Epic Metal that do not. There are also many bands that fit with this definition but are not tagged Epic Metal. Is 'Epic' subjective?

I am not saying this website is wrong, i myself do not know the exact definition of Epic Metal, as there is little information out there on it, i am just curious to see how this website defines it.

teh_Foxx0rz
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:18 am 

I understand "epic metal" to be power metal (of either variety, US or Euro, though usually USPM-based) with more emphasis on atmosphere and "scale", and less speed. At the very least, that's how bands I've seen described as that sound to me.

I've also seen it described as the mix of power and doom, but I'm not so sure about that. Maybe Candlemass-style doom, but not Pentagram/Sabbath-style doom, and Candlemass are described as "epic" doom metal already.

I tend to just class them as either power or trad. metal in my collection, though.

Liam Oliver
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:54 pm 

Yes i agree. I have always thought Epic to be related to Power Metal, especially USPM but i have also seen many Doom Metal bands labelled "Epic" as well.

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:49 pm 

I've been working on the use of the "Epic" genre prefix. We even have bands just called "Epic Metal" which isn't a real genre. Usually it is just power/heavy metal. One band labeled "Epic metal" would have been nuked if it was just alittle more hard rock.

Needless to say, I'm working on it. I'm jist catching up on the Epic Doom Metal bands to refresh my memory, as the use of epic depends on the sub genres, concerning the extra bits in the music.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

teh_Foxx0rz
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:14 pm 

Liam Oliver wrote:
but i have also seen many Doom Metal bands labelled "Epic" as well.

Yeah, that's a well accepted and attested thing, like, as I mentioned, Candlemass, though it seems to be separate from the "epic metal" label people sometimes use, as in, "epic metal" usually doesn't get applied to epic doom bands, from what (little) I've seen.

PDS wrote:
One band labeled "Epic metal" would have been nuked if it was just alittle more hard rock.

That reminds me of that "Legend" band from the US who released "From the Fjords", who pretty much fit that description (though they are at least labelled "Epic Heavy Metal"), and sounded more like "prog rock/heavy metal" or something, at least to me.

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:18 pm 

teh_Foxx0rz wrote:
PDS wrote:
One band labeled "Epic metal" would have been nuked if it was just alittle more hard rock.

That reminds me of that "Legend" band from the US who released "From the Fjords", who pretty much fit that description (though they are at least labelled "Epic Heavy Metal"), and sounded more like "prog rock/heavy metal" or something, at least to me.

I"ll check that one out as I go through the "Epic" labeled band. The band that almost got nuked was Revenge from Italy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMU8V4hVrSs

teh_Foxx0rz
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:53 pm 

PDS wrote:
The band that almost got nuked was Revenge from Italy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMU8V4hVrSs

That sounds pretty decent for what it is, though no idea where they got the "epic" from :P

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:45 pm 

teh_Foxx0rz wrote:
PDS wrote:
The band that almost got nuked was Revenge from Italy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMU8V4hVrSs

That sounds pretty decent for what it is, though no idea where they got the "epic" from :P

I have no idea either. We have a couple bands labeled "epic metal" but I can't listen to them because the demos are impossible to find. All of them are italian though. I think I'm seeing a pattern.

Liam Oliver
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:00 am 

Manilla Road, Equilibrium, Theocracy, Folkearth and Valkyrie are some of the bigger bands labelled Epic Metal, none of them are Italian. But i have also noticed many Italian bands labelled Epic Metal.

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:42 am 

That is where you read wrong, Bucko. I said "Epic Metal" not "Epic Blah-de-blah metal."

Read.

Liam Oliver
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:59 am 

Wow dude chill out. no need for that. We are talking about the 'Epic' tag in general. Whether it is 'Epic Metal' or "Epic Folk Metal' or 'Epic Progressive Post-Sludge Djentcore' makes not difference. I am trying to determine how 'Epic' is defined here.

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:10 am 

Yes true. But you mentioned "Epic metal" from italy. I was the only one that mentioned Italy. And only with the term "Epic Metal". I'll put it down under a lack of properly reading conversations or the flow of words. But I'll throw that under the carpet.

The "Epic" definition is in the works. Expect some changes in a couple weeks. Maybe.

Liam Oliver
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:26 am 

Every band on here is a Metal band, therefore every band tagged "Epic" is an Epic Metal band, and i am talking about the Epic tag in general, it makes no difference what other genres follow. And you do not need to be so hostile over a minor misunderstanding.

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:46 am 

Yes true, but we still have bands under just under "Epic Metal", which was what the conversation led to. Also we have bands that aren't metal on here. Side-project rule. I admit I'm a little too tetchy at the moment, though you did sort of miss-read the convo between me and teh_Foxx0rs. Let's leave the conversation at that. I the end. All that can be said on the Epic prefix is "I'm working on it", since the elements used for concerning epic in different sub genres are different when you check out the commonalities of the bands of each subgenre

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:04 pm 

teh_Foxx0rz"
[quote="PDS wrote:

That reminds me of that "Legend" band from the US who released "From the Fjords", who pretty much fit that description (though they are at least labelled "Epic Heavy Metal"), and sounded more like "prog rock/heavy metal" or something, at least to me.[/quote]
Yeah, Legend is epic heavy metal/progressive rock, could be listed with the extra genre or it could be left off. I recall that it was discussed but forget the details. One of my favorite bands there.

Epic heavy metal tends to have a strong prog rock influence anyway, in the structuring and elements used to create epic dynamics. Consider Manilla Road's Mark of the Beast as an example/stylistic predecessor to their epic style. Of course, they had done epics before that, but it's a good example of an album bridging some influences.

Abethedemon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:52 pm 

Are there any Power/doom bands? what about blackened power metal aside from demoniac? Symphonic thrash metal aside from al'virius? Epic Thrash Metal? Have there been any screamo (real screamo, like Orchid or Rorschach) influenced metal sub genres?

Naze
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:25 pm 

Abethedemon wrote:
Are there any Power/doom bands? what about blackened power metal aside from demoniac? Symphonic thrash metal aside from al'virius? Epic Thrash Metal?

Yeah that's something I'm really curious to see haha! And I'm sure someone is going to do it, it is just a matter of time... You know how things are nowadays.

Abethedemon wrote:
Have there been any screamo (real screamo, like Orchid or Rorschach) influenced metal sub genres?

I don't know if it directly influenced a whole metal subgenre, but it definitely influenced a lot of bands. There is also that whole metalcore thing, that is everyday blending even more with regular metal, but I'm really sure people won't allow them to be called as an actual "heavy metal subgenre".

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:42 pm 

Epic doom metal is sort of trad doom + power metal sensibilities. You can listen to bands like Candlemass, Solstice, While Heaven Wept or Atlantean Kodex and hear the mix of genres. There is legit power/doom though, keep in mind that doom doesn't equal slow though, there's plenty of fast paced trad doom like Pentagram or Iron Man.
Power doom:

Black power is pretty rare, melodic black metal can be seen as being near that definition though as it's often including trad metal influences.
Stormlord from Italy is blending symphonic power with melodic/symphonic black. Kind of decent.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

DCCLXXVII
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:44 pm 

I'm still fairly new to metal (only been listening for about two years, much less time than most people on this site), and I keep hearing about "Slam Death Metal". If this is a real thing, can someone give me an example? I want to know what it sounds like.
In the light of Christ

Abethedemon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:28 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Epic doom metal is sort of trad doom + power metal sensibilities. You can listen to bands like Candlemass, Solstice, While Heaven Wept or Atlantean Kodex and hear the mix of genres. There is legit power/doom though, keep in mind that doom doesn't equal slow though, there's plenty of fast paced trad doom like Pentagram or Iron Man.
Power doom:

Black power is pretty rare, melodic black metal can be seen as being near that definition though as it's often including trad metal influences.
Stormlord from Italy is blending symphonic power with melodic/symphonic black. Kind of decent.

Thanks! I'm actually a big fan of Candlemass, and when I first heard Epicus, I remarked at the falsettos, which seemed kind of power metal-y. I really liked the first link, doom with a power-y feel (or is that the other way around?)
I didn't like Stormlord, it had good riffs, but felt more symphonic black metal than anything. Any melodic black metal bands you can recommend me?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:37 pm 

Check the Swedish scene (Dawn, Dissection, Sacramentum, Vinterland, Unanimated.)

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Abethedemon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:00 pm 

I listened to Sacramentum. Pretty cool, reminded me a tad o' power metal, while still being black metal in flavor.

Auch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:07 am 

DCCLXXVII wrote:
I'm still fairly new to metal (only been listening for about two years, much less time than most people on this site), and I keep hearing about "Slam Death Metal". If this is a real thing, can someone give me an example? I want to know what it sounds like.

Devourment is widely regarded as the originators of the genre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_DgUwOMuYU

Naze
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:40 pm 

Abethedemon wrote:
Any melodic black metal bands you can recommend me?

The Swedish scene that was recommended is of great quality, but there are also the infamous Dimmu Burguer and Cradle of Filth (that is sometimes not even regarded as black metal at all). Their sound is very accessible, thus ending up being melodic... But I bet you already know about them.

The post-black metal guys blend some post-rock (sometimes shoegaze) with black metal, sounds interesting in the end. There is Lantlôs, Morose, Líam, early Alcest, Austere, Heretoir, etc. Not very agressive though, it sounds more emotive, sometimes even resembling DSBM.

AnalogKid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:12 pm 

androdion wrote:
There's plenty of explanation of it in the appropriate threads down there in the "Suggestions and Complaints" section. Some Mods even provided explanations.

Basically it has to do with those band's music being based on groove rather than death metal, and being that they're fundamentally melody-driven, like anything categorized as "melodic whatever", they're classified like that. Think of it like this, if there are no death metal riffs but instead a bunch of groove-ridden chords/riffs being played then why would you call that death metal in the first place. For a band to be classified as melodic death metal it implies that they at first play actual death metal, and then the basis of the way they play it is... melody.

There's NOT very good explanation. I provided a very thorough argument against its label of groove metal on a couple of occasions (as a fairly informed student of musicology in modern popular music), and have been completely ignored every time. Even when requesting a response. I have heard the claim multiple times that a couple of the admins dislike Scar Symmetry and have retained the "groove" label as a detractor on the band's page - something I'm finding continuously easier to believe, as they've never refuted my explanations. The classification on this site has never been terrifically accurate, and is dipping lower than ever the last couple of years. :(

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:44 am 

I mentioned this a while back somewhere else, but what exactly constitutes "epic" black metal? Apparently Moonblood is considered "epic" but no mention of Bathory? If anything, Blood Fire Death or selective Graveland or MoonSorrow albums would be the stablemate for the sound. Seems like another term for that blanket "Viking/Folk" term that gets thrown around way more often.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:50 am 

AnalogKid wrote:
I have heard the claim multiple times that a couple of the admins dislike Scar Symmetry and have retained the "groove" label as a detractor on the band's page - something I'm finding continuously easier to believe, as they've never refuted my explanations.

You're an idiot if you believe that, that's pure ass-pull. I dig "Holographic Universe", others dislike the band, but most staffers don't care for them one way or another. We don't use genres labels to discredit bands in any event. (it is absolutely amazing that this fact, along with refuting the tired "you don't accept bands you don't like" argument, needs spelling out so often...) I guess the "mallcore" tag didn't help with that reputation, but -I'm glad to say- we've dispensed with that one in the genre field by now.

The band's current genre is sort of a compromise between a more literal adherence to the term melodic death metal, assembling genre blocks as we see fit, on one side, and observing wider contemporary usage on the other. I think it's quite adequate. androdion's post already explains this well enough.

~Guest 321697
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:02 pm 

I've seen the term a few times in the genre field, what the hell is southern metal?

CardsOfWar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:46 am 

Sorry if this is an absolute pleb question/covered a million times, but is 'southern metal' a real genre? There are 359 bands listed here as southern metal:

http://www.metal-archives.com/search?se ... band_genre

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:56 am 

CardsOfWar wrote:
is 'southern metal' a real genre?

I don't think it is. It's more of a style rather than a subgenre. 'Southern metal' bands are usually derivative of Pantera or some are influenced by Sabbath and NOLA sludge and typical southern rock cockiness.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

CardsOfWar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:43 am 

Interesting. I always thought it was a specific term for edgier versions of commercial redneck rock bands like Nickelback. It seems to be a very ill-defined term, and I think that a lot of the cases on this website could be a lot less ambiguously l listed as Southern Rock/Heavy Metal/Sludge Metal for example. If it's more groove influenced then obviously put that. Should I get editing?

Abethedemon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:20 pm 

Doomgrind? Epic death metal? Blackened Deathcore? Folky thrash? Grindgaze?

DCCLXXVII
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:36 pm 

What exactly is "dark metal"? I've seen a few bands entered in on the site under that genre and I have no clue what that could sound like. I'd assume that it would just be like heavier Evanescense, as they referred to their sound as "dark rock".
In the light of Christ

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:18 pm 

Eh, dark metal to me is black/doom in the veins of Bethlehem 'Dark Metal', but some people say dark metal is Agalloch...
I refuse to give metalsucks any web traffic.

DCCLXXVII
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:57 am 

Guess I was wrong then. :P
In the light of Christ

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:08 am 

Just listen to this style. You won't need anything else. :lol:

http://www.last.fm/tag/kroegressive%20cock%20rock
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 49  Next