Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:07 pm 

This is news I did not expect to read, after 20 years since the last album they have signed to Century Media and have begun writing a new album with four of the original members. The first two albums were great so it will be interesting to see what they come up with.

http://m.facebook.com/sanctuaryfans?id= ... s.php&_rdr

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:19 pm 

As a Nevermore fan, I always kick myself for having not gotten around to the albums Sanctuary put out back in the day. Curious to see which band this album sounds more like...

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:37 pm 

The samples I've heard from the live setting sound more like the post-thrash groove stuff from This Godless endeavor, which is not bad as that album is more or less Nevermore's only good album. Its just not what I hoped for from a band that gave USPM the classic Refuge denied, but as it seems the custom with once great power/speed/thrash bands they end up going for chuggier/more well-produced groove/thrash hybrid and it inevitably ends up being shit compared to their past work. I don't even have to remind some here how awful the new Agent Steel ep is, this I hope will not stray in that direction.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:58 pm 

I remember an announcement that they had already signed, or were very close to signing with Century Media back in January so the delay since then is rather strange - perhaps due to recording. Queensryche announced they had signed with CM either after they had finished recording their new album or were just about wrapping it up only a couple months ago at most, so maybe the wait won't be too long now.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:47 pm 

More Warrel Dane is good, be it in Sanctuary or Nevermore.
Reality check: the first Sanctuary album isn't that good. On their second they are on their way to becoming Nevermore, so I expect this could be good. Not getting my hopes up too high though, as these things seldom live up to the hype.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:33 pm 

My apologies for giving this old thread the necro treatment but according to Warrel Dane, Sanctuary have been wrapping up pre-production this week and finally begin recording the new album on Sunday, February 2nd. The note about having written an entire new song after a recent rehearsal is encouraging, a sign they haven't let themselves be completely satisfied with everything they've been sitting on for the past couple of years to now. https://twitter.com/warrel_dane

Went back and checked the live performances of the two new songs. There's not too much there that excites me as they are, but there's potential there if they've undergone some changes in the meantime and I'll presume they have given the length of time since. Nevertheless, I'm holding out hope that the new album has, at minimum, a good portion of interesting riffing going on courtesy of having Brad Hull onboard and part of the writing process. An even more watered-down variant of Iced Earth, who have accomplished that just fine by themselves, won't get it done. Zeuss has shown he's able to get some inspired performances out of the bands he worked with, which is probably what's needed for Warrel more than the rest of the band.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:59 pm 

This sounds like a complete disaster to me, and listening to live versions of the two new pieces only confirms that. Chances are I'll eventually check out what is released, due to my love of their old stuff, but I have absolutely no hope for there being anything of quality present at all and am kind of dreading hearing it to be honest.

TheDefiniteArticle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:27 am 

If it sounds like Sanctuary, it'll be great. If it sounds like Nevermore, it's going to suck. Production is one of the key elements here; if they can avoid a super-shiny sound they'll have made an excellent first step.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:56 pm 

Opus wrote:
More Warrel Dane is good, be it in Sanctuary or Nevermore.
Reality check: the first Sanctuary album isn't that good. On their second they are on their way to becoming Nevermore, so I expect this could be good. Not getting my hopes up too high though, as these things seldom live up to the hype.

The less of current Warrel Dane, the better. The first Sanctuary album is by far the best thing he was involved in. It's not that special, I guess, but it is solid and well-written early(?) USPM. The second album tries a bit too hard without the songwriting experience to back it all up. Ends up meandering around with songs that just don't work very well.

I_Crash_and_Burn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:09 pm 

It seems every band of the 80's is resurrecting for the sake of nostalgy.

Read just a little above that 1st Sanctuary's album isn't that good and this is why I blame internet and shits, 'cause if you had been there when that album was released and you hadn't had a billion more tracks to be freely listened to just clicking on you tube and jumpin' over buying the vinyl, I bet my eyes you'd think it different.

Sanctuary simply ruled. Theirs was a very original music that in those ancient times you hardly would have found somewhere else. What would they do today, resurrect that songwriting in a modern way? Hope for them all the best but I won't be purchasing new music.
Leave the dead among the dead.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:12 pm 

if they manage to release something that sounds halfway like into the mirror black i'll be happy enough. i seriously doubt they have anything to offer that i'll want to hear more than a handful of times, so just give me the nostalgia stuff. cause if it's not nostalgia, it'll be something along the lines of latter-day nevermore or dane's solo album - bog-standard andy sneap metal. boo hiss etc. i saw them live in 2012 but for the life of me, i can't remember how dane sounded on the old songs, or what the new track they were peddling was like.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:29 pm 

I_Crash_and_Burn wrote:
It seems every band of the 80's is resurrecting for the sake of nostalgy.

Read just a little above that 1st Sanctuary's album isn't that good and this is why I blame internet and shits, 'cause if you had been there when that album was released and you hadn't had a billion more tracks to be freely listened to just clicking on you tube and jumpin' over buying the vinyl, I bet my eyes you'd think it different.

Sanctuary simply ruled. Theirs was a very original music that in those ancient times you hardly would have found somewhere else. What would they do today, resurrect that songwriting in a modern way? Hope for them all the best but I won't be purchasing new music.
Leave the dead among the dead.

Well, hearing a lot of the better albums from the time really points out how lame Refuge Denied really is. It's not bad, just kinda weak and not very powerful like Omen, Jag Panzer, Queensryche, etc.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:34 pm 

refuge denied suffers in that the first track is the best by such a long margin, even though the rest of the album isn't too bad it's just such a letdown. i prefer the second album, it's much more consistent and actually sounds like a band finding their own sound.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:42 pm 

I_Crash_and_Burn wrote:

I was there! I was 20 years old when this was released, and while I didn't have a billion tracks to listen to, I had listened to both Judas Priest and Crimson Glory. Regardless of that, bad songwriting is timeless.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:11 pm 

Turner wrote:
refuge denied suffers in that the first track is the best by such a long margin, [...]

God, this is so tragically true, that it hurts to admit it so. Guh.

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:29 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Turner wrote:
refuge denied suffers in that the first track is the best by such a long margin, [...]

I guess you guys ain't heard Die for my Sins.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:52 pm 

The first new track is up -

Does not sound too bad. Prob closer to Nevermore? Would like to hear more of Warrel's high vocal range in the lead role instead of being buried in the background, same as he sang on the debut album, sounds better imo, still a good performance by him all the same.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:20 pm 

They might as well have kept calling themselves Nevermore, because this blows. It's got the usual post-2000 shitty metal tropes: downtuning, Andy Sneap-like production, plodding, indifferent rhythm guitar work, and try-too-hard "angry" vocals. Even if he can't hit high notes all the time, couldn't Warrel at least try to sing rather than grunt and snarl?

Sometimes I think someone needs to get ahold of the neuralyzer machine from Men in Black and start mindwiping metal musicians while saying "Machine Head never existed and Pantera only wrote four albums".

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:55 pm 

Damn, that was absolutely horrible. Everything about this track is derivative and pretty much a running check list of all the things that I actively dislike when it comes to "modern" sounding metal. Agreed with the sentiment expressed of this being more in the Nevermore vein than Sanctuary too.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:57 pm 

It would at least be tolerable if it were derivative of Sanctuary, but it sounds like some random upstart power metal band trying to be "heavier" than the other power metal bands, and the guitarist used to be in a Nevermore tribute band.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:30 pm 

Could have been decent background music at the beginning I guess, but Dane sounds awful and the song just goes nowhere as it progresses. No real sense of rhythm or catchiness really. Just riffs piled on top of one another and they aren't even any good. The modern style production was bad too. Needs some lessons from something like Agent Steel's Alienigma or later Symphony X on this type of sound - i.e. you need good strong riffs and a real heavy, focused attack from the guitars. Plus good vocals would help.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:02 pm 

Really, that's the song they choose to comeback with after a quarter century? I thought the last Metal Church was their weakest yet, but it gave me a better first impression than this as far as that US speed/power/thrash style goes.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:06 pm 

The Metal Church comeback, despite being dull as dishwater, at least sounds like Metal Church. Sanctuary can't even get "be recognizable as Sanctuary" right.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Exigence

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:38 pm 

Sounds good to me. Like Nevermore with all the progressive shit (that I hated) stripped away. Never listened to Sanctuary but I'll check out this album for sure. As long as there's not too much Dane warbling about mental slavery or whatever the fuck each and every Nevermore song dragged on about.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:50 pm 

The new track is awful modern metal. But that's the type of sound that will garner them some new fans, I suspect. A lot of older fans also like their albums to sound like that.

Surprised about the harsh opinions on Refuge Denied. It's a really good album that I still enjoy today.

Exigence

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:56 pm 

I went back and checked out the last Sanctuary album on YT for comparison. I immediately thought of Destiny's End.

Not my cup of tea.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:35 pm 

The second one is a bit bland, you need to listen to Refuge Denied. I have that on CD and vinyl and I have the T-shirt.

Also to people who say "Battle Angels" is the only good song--"Die For My Sins", "Soldiers of Steel", "White Rabbit", "The Third War", and "Veil of Disguise" are all just as good.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:38 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Turner wrote:

I CAN'T BELIEVE I SAID THIS. WHY WOULD YOU SAY THIS, YOU. I MEAN, I.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:10 am 

I actually dug it. It's not perfect but I am really interested in hearing the new album. I am a fan of Nevermore and liked all of their albums for one reason or another. I'm also a Sanctuary fan. This sounds a cross between Nevermore and Into The Mirror Black which is okay with me. We'll see what the rest of the album brings.

Like your reviews?

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:26 am 

Boring as fuck. Completely Nevermore-ish, and let me tell you, Nevermore is one of the most boring bands to ever walk the earth. Completely devoid of any interesting riffs or melodies, It was a hard task listening the whole thing. Guess I'll keep spinning my copy of Refuge Denied (btw whats going on with all the dislike for this great album?)

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:29 am 

IanThrash wrote:
(btw whats going on with all the dislike for this great album?)

Personally, I've tried this album twice, and I can't see what makes it so great. The riffs are alright, but none of them really scream greatness, nor do they evoke much atmosphere for me. The vocals are somewhat unique, but he's not as creative with them as Diamond or Arch. Compared to albums like The Spectre Within, Hall of The Mountain King, and Abigail, it just feels average.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:06 am 

i don't know what to say about this - it's clearly more nevermore than sanctuary, but it's also clearly more early nevermore than late. those vocal lines could have been lifted straight from the first nevermore album. so it's definitely NOT sanctuary, and it DOES sound like soooo much other fucking modern metal, but it has hints of sounds i really enjoyed as a teenager. i don't think i'll buy the album.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:10 am 

Woolie_Wool wrote:
The Metal Church comeback, despite being dull as dishwater, at least sounds like Metal Church. Sanctuary can't even get "be recognizable as Sanctuary" right.

I'll give you that. Generation Nothing sounded like a weaker version of what they've done before, but it did sound like what they've done before.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:31 am 

Sounds like Nevermore but I also like Nevermore.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:09 pm 

Another new song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI07kqOoLLA

Is this Nevermore or Sanctuary?

Obligatory Last FM Link

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:19 pm 

mjollnir wrote:
I actually dug it. It's not perfect but I am really interested in hearing the new album. I am a fan of Nevermore and liked all of their albums for one reason or another. I'm also a Sanctuary fan. This sounds a cross between Nevermore and Into The Mirror Black which is okay with me. We'll see what the rest of the album brings.

Is there anything you don't like?

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:03 am 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
Another new song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI07kqOoLLA

Is this Nevermore or Sanctuary?

it's definitely still channeling the first nevermore album - you can hear tinges of into the mirror black here and there if you kinda strain, but it's still minimal. i don't think they can escape the nevermore comparisons now that dane sings in a much lower register, and given that he's pretty much the poster boy for modern metal production.... but this song is definitely better than the first imo, has a bit more atmosphere to it. and to their credit, i think this is about as close to that early 90s sound as they were ever gonna get (i don't think any of us ever expected it to bear even a passing resemblance to the late 80s and refuge denied), so taking that into account, i'm somehow satisfied.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:51 am 

This sounds more like Nevermore than the last Nevermore album.

TheGreatTrendkiller
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:28 am 

I like Arise and Purify, sounds to me like a mix of the self-titled album and the more streamlined sound of the last Nevermore album. I don't know about the second track, it feels directionless. ( is that even a word? )

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:47 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_IrbeZfJII

Official video for "Frozen."

Not exactly riveting but I do really like the whole solo section.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next