Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:09 am 

Hah, I'd never head that Lavette band actually; just all the negative comments. I actually quite liked Heiman's vocals in that, not bad at all...music was pretty average but Heiman clearly had a fuckload of talent still.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:15 am 

^^ A fuckload of wasted talent if you ask me. He is the only thing about that song that actually sounds good. That shit doesn't allow him to sing to his full potential. As I said...sad.

Like your reviews?

teh_Foxx0rz
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:02 am 

Sounds a little bit like modern Elvenking there though :lol:
He actually sounds a lot like Damna there though rather than himself, at least to me.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:50 am 

Can't get enough of Scorpions' Taken by Force!
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:30 am 

So Manilla Road is the first band listed in Battleroar's Similar Artists tab. Are there any Manilla Road albums comparable in style to Battleroar's To Death and Beyond?

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:00 am 

Eh...sort of. I mean, Battleroar take a lot of influence from MR but almost everything MR have released is much, much better than that album. The grandiose atmosphere and epic scope are most comparable to Gates of Fire, I'd say, especially 'Epitaph to the King.' Voyager also has a very epic scope but is much darker and less accessible. Mark Shelton also wrote the first song on Battleroar's 'Age of Chaos,' maybe check that out along with 'Epitaph to the King' and see if you like those, then continue on.

If you're just looking for stuff similar to Battleroar, the closest band in style that I like is Isen Torr, they have the same atmosphere and scope and their only EP is fucking fantastic.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:16 am 

You're way under-playing Battleroar's worth. To Death and Beyond is a fucking fantastic album of epic metal. MR did it first, sure, but on that album in particular Battleroar are impeccable.

If you want the genesis of that sound, go way back to Open the Gates. That's probably where a lot of these epic metal bands came from.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:38 am 

Enceladus (Lost Horizon-esque band we were discussing last page) hooked me up with a promo of their album and it's pretty killer. Non-stop guitar solos, great vocals, and plenty of interesting songs. It comes out later this month, but they've posted a few promo tracks on their Facebook page. I'd definitely recommend it if you liked the song posted earlier.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:40 pm 

Lavett is horrible. At least Heed had good music.

And about LH, It's a shame their music style hasn't been truly imitated.

Edit: I liked Enceladus too, I just hope they get a better singer.

monkseatcheese
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:06 pm 

Just found this demo from Australia on bandcamp its pretty awesome.
http://heavychainsrecords.bandcamp.com/album/outcast

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:50 pm 

That sounds like Danzig singing over a Green Day song. I really don't understand some of this wannabe revival stuff, a lot of it seems to promote musical regression.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:31 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Danzig singing over a Green Day song

I'd actually like that to happen.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:35 pm 

Danzig singing over a Green Day song? What the fuck are you smoking? It's clearly heavily NWOSHM-influenced, and sounds pretty much exactly like that. Whether or not you like NWOSHM is up to you, but the style predates Green Day by like 15 years and sounds nothing like pop punk.

Also, wtf is "musical regression"? :getout:

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:43 pm 

Everyone knows that a band is crap if it doesn't innovate and move music forward, FSM. Get on with the times, man! :roll:

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:02 pm 

It's one thing to be retro and use that as your starting point for creativity and another to add nothing new or do it in your own interesting way. Haven't heard the stuff in question though so no opinion there.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:50 pm 

Sure, but that has nothing to do with "regression", that's just a lack of talent/skill. There were tons of bands in the 80s that were boring and sounded just like everyone else too. When people hear a boring 80s band they think "well that band sucks," but when they hear a boring modern 80s-style band, suddenly all retro metal is dumb and bad.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:18 pm 

I've never given Helloween a fair shake, but last week I randomly picked up Straight Out of Hell. Except for a couple tracks I'm liking it way more than I thought I would. Should I go back and start with their earlier stuff or go somewhere else? How different is this newest one compared to the rest of their catalog?

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:27 pm 

I'd say their latest albums are their best (yeah, sue me). For something similar check out Gambling with the Devil or The Dark Ride. Although, to be honest, they were never the spectacular band everyone said the were.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:59 pm 

I haven't heard the newer HELLOWEEN stuff much because what I sampled from it did nothing for me but I thought Keepers 1 was amazing. Pt 2 I thought was also very good.

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:38 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
I haven't heard the newer HELLOWEEN stuff much because what I sampled from it did nothing for me but I thought Keepers 1 was amazing. Pt 2 I thought was also very good.

Nowadays Unisonic sounds more like Helloween than Helloween. Their new album looks promising and the first one was as hard rocking and catchy as it gets. Kiske is the man!

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:13 pm 

IanThrash wrote:
Temple Of Blood wrote:

Nowadays Unisonic sounds more like Helloween than Helloween. Their new album looks promising and the first one was as hard rocking and catchy as it gets. Kiske is the man!

Based on what I've heard, I totally agree with you.

mudrnudl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:11 pm 

Could anybody give me hints for new releases with amazing ever higher soaring vocals? I am looking for some amazing vocalists here :)

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:39 pm 

mudrnudl wrote:
Could anybody give me hints for new releases with amazing ever higher soaring vocals? I am looking for some amazing vocalists here :)

New CAULDRON BORN CD with yours truly out now! :)

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ca ... tal/437771

mudrnudl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:10 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
mudrnudl wrote:

New CAULDRON BORN CD with yours truly out now! :)

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ca ... tal/437771

any samples?

rawsewage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:35 pm 

I'll second the new Cauldron Born. Crom, Count The Dead is the best song I've heard all year.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:49 pm 

Aydross wrote:
I'd say their latest albums are their best (yeah, sue me). For something similar check out Gambling with the Devil or The Dark Ride. Although, to be honest, they were never the spectacular band everyone said the were.

I agree with you; I think Keepers III is their best album ever and Dark Ride is about as good too. Gambling with the Devil and Straight Out of Hell also kill. They had a few duds here and there, but overall I think the Keeper albums were just a starting point and the band built on that sound and did better things with it later.

I should hear the new Unisonic. The first one was catchy fun, but not great or anything.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:02 pm 

mudrnudl wrote:
Temple Of Blood wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Cauldron_Born/Sword_and_Sorcery_Heavy_Metal/437771

any samples?

I don't know if the label has released any. The main songwriter for CAULDRON BORN, Howie Bentley, posts here and would know better than I would. I think this pressing is selling out quickly though FYI. I know it's tough to buy something without hearing any samples first though.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:04 pm 

rawsewage wrote:
I'll second the new Cauldron Born. Crom, Count The Dead is the best song I've heard all year.

Glad to hear it! I love it too, even if I hadn't been given the opportunity to sing on it. I have been a fan of CAULDRON BORN since the 90s.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:58 am 

yeah that EP is pretty killer. I've listened to it several times and it still hasn't fully sunken in, since Cauldron Born was already pretty dense to begin with and Crom, Count the Dead is 12 minutes. The two new songs definitely rule though, and the remastered demo sounds great. If you like their other two albums, definitely recommended, though I dunno how many copies Howie has left.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Sestren
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:36 pm 

The fuck?! So we gonna get a new Cauldron Born album or what? I absolutely loved BotC and ARSF. Why didn't I know about this earlier? Must hear those new tracks from that EP!

On a side note, I really like the new Unisonic album. Way better than the debut. Catchy as hell and not much chesse in the ballads. Kiske vocals are amazing. Always sounding great! A few songs could really fit into the Keeper albums. I wonder what Helloween would have been with Kiske still in tbe picture. No disrespect to Andy because hes got great vocals and written good material.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:00 pm 

I can dig the new Unisonic. The first five songs are pretty great, especially "Night of the Long Knives" which shows a maturity Kiske and Hansen don't usually have...the other PM-ish songs on the album are pretty good too. The last half tapers off a bit, but it's still pretty decent. My first listen had me thinking the songs didn't have all that much to do with one another, and it came off like an album of individual songs rather than a cohesive experience, but eh it was enjoyable.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:14 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I can dig the new Unisonic. The first five songs are pretty great, especially "Night of the Long Knives" which shows a maturity Kiske and Hansen don't usually have...the other PM-ish songs on the album are pretty good too. The last half tapers off a bit, but it's still pretty decent. My first listen had me thinking the songs didn't have all that much to do with one another, and it came off like an album of individual songs rather than a cohesive experience, but eh it was enjoyable.

Now I really feel like I'm missing something. All of the reviews are great, but there are only three interesting songs for me: Exceptional, For The Kingdom, and Your Time Has Come. The rest of the album seems totally boring, and this is coming from someone who really enjoyed the first record.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:23 pm 

Well those are three of the better songs, so you're not missing that much. "Throne of Dawn" and "When the Deed is Done" left a lot to be desired and "You and I" is pretty limp.

Last edited by Empyreal on Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sestren
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:25 pm 

So I was doing some research on the newest EP of CB and the new singer. Curious what he sounds like so I checked a couple tracks of his band, Temple of Blood and he's got some great vocals and looks like a great fit. By the way, his band is some seriously awesome speed and thrash metal. And what surprises me is that it is a Christian band. Wow. The only other Christian band I like is Theocracy. Great Christian bands are a rare breed. I need to listen to both of his albums.

Sestren
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:34 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Well those are three of the better songs, so you're not missing that much.

I dunno man, but I thought Find Shelter and Throne of the Dawn were strong tracks. The other slower tracks sans NotLK are really good but you have to like ballads like I do to really appreciate them. Then we got Manhunter's with its chorus which catchy as hell. Hell, it is a quirky tune and reminds me of Hooks In You by Iron Maiden. Not sure why I even tried to compare those two tracks since they are so different... maybe because they deal with women.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:45 pm 

Sestren wrote:
So I was doing some research on the newest EP of CB and the new singer. Curious what he sounds like so I checked a couple tracks of his band, Temple of Blood and he's got some great vocals and looks like a great fit. By the way, his band is some seriously awesome speed and thrash metal. And what surprises me is that it is a Christian band. Wow. The only other Christian band I like is Theocracy. Great Christian bands are a rare breed. I need to listen to both of his albums.

Thank you very much! We're trying to find the time to finish up our 3rd album, which so far seems to be better in every way than our previous ones. Our first album is available digitally from iTunes and Amazon.com, and our second CD can be bought from our website: http://www.templeofblood.net/merch.htm

Thanks for checking us out!

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:58 am 

Jophelerx wrote:
yeah that EP is pretty killer. I've listened to it several times and it still hasn't fully sunken in, since Cauldron Born was already pretty dense to begin with and Crom, Count the Dead is 12 minutes. The two new songs definitely rule though, and the remastered demo sounds great.

Yeah, I'm enjoying it so far, but I still need time for the new songs on the EP to sink in. "Crom, Count the Dead" has an insanely catchy main riff, but aside from that they're pretty dense. This was the same with the first two albums though, so I'm not surprised.

The remastered demo tracks really reminded me how much I love that debut though. Really top-notch USPM, with a great Lovecraft/Clark Ashton Smith-type atmosphere. The world needs more cosmic horror power metal!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:43 am 

Playing Born of the Cauldron for the first time in a while. This is as technical as plenty of the modern bands that came later, but has this huge sense of pulp old school metal and a devotion to the riff...I forgot how damn good it was!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:05 am 

I can't not obsess over the debut, even to this day. Synchronicity At Midnight/A Baying of Hounds is one of the best heavy metal songs ever written.

I couldn't afford the EP :(

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:02 pm 

Doomsday wrote:
Catachthonian wrote:
has anyone picked up the SKR reissue of "Mystification" yet? Does it feature two covers like the Sentinel Steel edition?

Only the original '87 artwork.

Thank you. I'll probably skip this one then.

In other news, Hyborian Steel's third full-length is supposed to be out on the autumnal equinox via Barbarian Wrath, here's hoping it's up to par with the previous two.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 445, 446, 447, 448, 449, 450, 451 ... 624  Next