Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Windom Earle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:36 pm 

I've been listening to a lot of Fripp & Eno, Bitchin Bajas, Growing and Tim Hecker. New Tim Hecker soon ... gonna be good.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:24 pm 

https://soundcloud.com/nodustollens-1

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:25 am 

That was a timely thread necromancy.

Anyone here into trance? Prog, vocal, hard style, melodic, whatever? Been listening to a lot of it the past few months. Solarstone, Shogun, and Heatbeat in particular.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:15 pm 

I listen to mostly Electro-Industrial (Feindflug, Tactical Sekt, Combichrist, Wumpscut, Panzer AG), but I also love The Prodigy and softer stuff like Covenant and Depeche Mode.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:21 pm 

It's all about Shpongle for me.

Simon Posford's other project before Shpongle is good too.

A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:27 pm 

THEMICRULAH wrote:
It's all about Shpongle for me.

Simon Posford's other project before Shpongle is good too.

I've been getting into a lot of goa and psytrance recently, after a recent splurge on dark electro/aggrotech, and spacesynth. Hallucinogen is what got me into goa in the first place.

Crick wrote:
The first one is silly because it's got such dainty eyelashes, yet the guy is terrified. NOT THE MASCARA, CTHULHU! ANYTHING BUT THE MASCARA!

TheLastSucker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:31 pm 

Aside from metal, electronic music is my favorite music too. I guess this explains why I am so into industrial metal or generally metal infused with electronics.

Some of my favorite electronic artists include Front Line Assembly, Carbon Based Lifeforms, Steve Roach, Solar Fields and The Prodigy.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:49 am 

Nice to see this thread back in action. As a massive fan of Aphex Twin since the early days, I was overjoyed to read about the recently-unearthed "lost" Caustic Window album from 1994. Been listening to it for a few days now, and it doesn't disappoint; it's classic early 90s Aphex (his best era IMO, before he went all digital and glitchy), somewhere between "Analogue Bubblebath 3" and "I Care Because You Do". In fact this has excited me more than any other release for years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk7Q7nY ... 1q&index=1

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:31 am 

balbulus wrote:
Been listening to it for a few days now, and it doesn't disappoint

I saw it on discogs and searched everywhere for it... where the hell is it?! I can't even find a link to it anywhere, or on soulseek or anything...
Maybe I'm just stupid and don't know how to internet, but I've given up on finding a link to the digital download version of it.

I'd rather not spoil the experience by listening to it all on YT, but the track you posted sounds nice so far.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:01 am 

Some random opinions on electronic music:

-Noisia and Bassnectar are like gods compared to every dubstep and drumnbass artist on the planet. Not that they are actually making godlike music, but comparing the two artists to every other dubstep/drumnbass act is like comparing a human to a piece of shit.
-Shpongle with good quality headphones and a comfortable lazy boy can lead to one hell of an amazing acid trip. Words can only describe so much.
-I listen to a lot of Boards of Canada when I study. Good background beats can help me focus quite a bit when I'm not in the mood for anything to crazy.
-Deadmau5 can suck my cock. He's pretentious, and I swear there's articles out there where he basically infers to how goddam pretentious he is. Wish I was into this post enough to actually find the article...
-Fever Ray is essential for anyone that likes Mortiis. If you've heard of The Knife (who, is not nearly as good IMO), you would be familiar with Karen, who's the only member of Fever Ray.
-Ok, here's where shit gets strange. I like electropop quite a fucking bit. Goldfrapp, Passion Pit, Lady Gaga, fucking Ke$ha... yup, I'm at least sort of down with the last one. Something about major chords being pounded out really loudly with electronic instruments has the potential to make me really happy, if in the right mood.
-I like Crystal Castles quite a bit, and I'm really surprised that Alice Glass listens to black metal. (iii) was an amazing cd, full of rich atmosphere while also making want to boss the fuck out in my car with crazy ass dance moves.
-Shlohmo=my favorite electronic artist. Like Boards of Canada, I listen to a lot of him when I'm studying or doing some other productive thing. But.. honestly, I also just listen to shlohmo anytime anywhere. He's a beatmaker, but the variety of genres he's been able to incorporate with his beats over the years has made him stand out to me as perhaps the most original electronic artist I've ever heard. Seriously- download Shlomoshun Deluxe and tell me if you've anything of the slightest sounding like it.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:05 am 

the_raytownian wrote:
balbulus wrote:
Been listening to it for a few days now, and it doesn't disappoint

I saw it on discogs and searched everywhere for it... where the hell is it?! I can't even find a link to it anywhere, or on soulseek or anything...
Maybe I'm just stupid and don't know how to internet, but I've given up on finding a link to the digital download version of it.

I'd rather not spoil the experience by listening to it all on YT, but the track you posted sounds nice so far.

I just ripped that whole playlist from Youtube. It's only a matter of time before the lossless files leak, there were at least 500 people who got them.

Windom Earle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:57 am 

Basic House is really awesome for anyone into more darker noisy electronic music - awesome stuff

puggy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:17 pm 

I've been trying to get into Venetian Snares' stuff recently. I've got a friend who produces breakcore and IDM music who strongly recommended VS. Any else here into that sort of thing?

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:55 am 

puggy wrote:
I've been trying to get into Venetian Snares' stuff recently. I've got a friend who produces breakcore and IDM music who strongly recommended VS. Any else here into that sort of thing?

My only advice here is don't start with Making Orange Things. The "Beat It" and "Stairway to Heaven" covers are amusing though.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:59 am 

There have to be at least a few more trance fans here. :/

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:55 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:

I've always been a huge fan of what people call psy-trance these days. Fond memories of sweaty illegal raves in a quarry in Kent during the 90s. I don't know many artists, but Doof was always my favourite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ww7jY3apTA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN3SYRhVXow

TheLastSucker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:32 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:

I may not have any particularly favorite artist in that genre but I love me some trance songs here and there. Goa/Psy or space trance preferably such as Astral Projection, Cosmosis or Juno Reactor. And there will always be a place in my heart for corny Eurodance from the 90s with acts like Mr. President, Captain Jack, La Bouche, 2Unlimited, ATC, Eiffel 65 and way more.

Apart from that I am also into Aggrotech or Death-Robot, especially acts like Agonoize or Ion Plasma Incineration. Check out the latter here if you're interested.

The world of music is just so huge to know absolutely everything :D

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:10 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:

You already know.

Just finished this up last night. Check it out!

http://tindeck.com/listen/gjcx

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:11 am 

Sounds great! :)

kramer820
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:34 pm 

Unorthodox wrote:
Some random opinions on electronic music:

-Noisia and Bassnectar are like gods compared to every dubstep and drumnbass artist on the planet. Not that they are actually making godlike music, but comparing the two artists to every other dubstep/drumnbass act is like comparing a human to a piece of shit.

This does Vex'd, Kode 9, Kryptic Minds and Broken Note injustice, they are easily on par with Noisia and especially Bassnectar, who, in my humble opinion, is a little overrated. Not to mention some of the innovators of Drum'n Bass and Dubstep like LTJ Bukem, Krust, Scorn, Kevin Martin, EL-B or J Majik (who sadly produces mediocre House today).

Windom Earle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:30 pm 

Listen to Actress. The end.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:37 am 

Anyone here likes Garbage?

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:46 am 

I like Garbage the Autechre album, but I'm assuming you're talking about the band. Looks like they're from Madison, WI, which is near my hometown...Will have to give them a listen.

But yeah, anyone interested in minimal/ambient techno would also do well to give Autechre's "Garbage" a listen, as well as the album "Amber" (though that one is very heavily more on the ambient side.) I've been spinning those and a bit of Tri Repetae near-constantly of late.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:56 am 

Beg to differ that dubstep is bad. Only brostep/mainstream dubstep is bad, kinda like how so much mainstream metal is basically pop music with guitars and really blows.

I'm seeing Distance, Bukez Finezt, Matty G, and Megalodon next week.

I started out with psytrance/psyambient, still enjoy it. I listen to a lot of deep bass dubstep nowadays, plus glitch-hop, breakcore, some futurepop/ebm, some IDM etc.

edit: hahah I didn't see kramer's post, beat me to it. I'd like to see Kryptic Minds live one day. I've seen Goth-Trad, Truth, Digital Mystikz, Biome, Joker, Demon, Youngsta, Plastician...really want to see Gemmy and Swindle.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:25 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
anyone interested in minimal/ambient techno would also do well to give Autechre's "Garbage" a listen, as well as the album "Amber" (though that one is very heavily more on the ambient side.) I've been spinning those and a bit of Tri Repetae near-constantly of late.

Oh yes, those early Autechre releases are among my favourite electronic releases, second only to Aphex Twin's pre-laptop stuff. "Garbage" was the first Autechre release I heard and just blew me away. I lost interest in their more abstract later stuff a long time ago, but the first 3 albums and their related EPs are absolute classics.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:23 pm 

Yeah, I also tried listening to post-Tri Repetae Autechre and found it way too abstract, or at the very you'll have maybe 30-minutes of more straightforward/atmospheric stuff in a 2-hour album. I totally get what they're going for, and it's definitely interesting from a sound-design perspective (as a synth player myself) but it's not really good for chilling out to during long drives like the absolutely beautiful Amber.
Always found it interesting that they called Incunabla and Amber cheesy, likely for the reasons that make me like those two records over their later work.

Quaristice and Oversteps had a slightly heavier lean toward the more accessible stuff, though.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:33 am 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
I like Garbage the Autechre album, but I'm assuming you're talking about the band. Looks like they're from Madison, WI, which is near my hometown...Will have to give them a listen.

Start with "Version 2.0", it's their best and most electronic álbum. A flawless mix of rock, pop and dance with industrial influences.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:51 pm 

And if you like Garbage, check out the band they took all their cues from; Curve. Slightly darker and more electronic than Garbage, and much more palatable in my opinion. Plus Toni Halliday was an absolute fox.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuXdyd5qSFc

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:58 am 

balbulus wrote:
And if you like Garbage, check out the band they took all their cues from; Curve. Slightly darker and more electronic than Garbage, and much more palatable in my opinion. Plus Toni Halliday was an absolute fox.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuXdyd5qSFc

She was, but Shirley Manson is fucking gorgeous!

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:48 pm 

I'm currently listening to the Neotokyoº (people say it's IDM, though I have no knowledge about it) soundtrack. My current favourite tracks:

Spoiler: show

I refuse to give metalsucks any web traffic.

The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:31 am 

Dude, rexxz, sweet jams.

Does anyone else love Flume's S/T as much as me? I've had it on pretty heavy rotation for most of the year.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:27 am 

Hi guys, does anybody knows other "melodic drum & bass" astists? Like in these 2 tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8TzEmX1HJE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC1u3ynDLOE

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

ThrashingTheRedemer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:14 am 

Drexciya and the offshoot projects are always high quality if you like real electro. Afro-futurism at its best

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:50 am 

Thanks for the rec man, really enjoyed all of the tracks I found in youtube hahah! :D

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:44 pm 

working on something new today: http://tindeck.com/listen/ilng

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:08 am 

I'd probably have liked the new Aphex Twin album maybe 10 years ago because it's very well done, but for some reason it's presenting itself as somewhat childish noise to me. Perhaps I've become less interested in the barrage of noise approach and more into subtler electronic music. I've been really enjoying Pantha du Prince's stuff lately, really intricate yet straightforward, open and organic music.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:28 am 

rexxz wrote:
working on something new today: http://tindeck.com/listen/ilng

Simple but evocative. A nice base for something potentially stellar.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

hots_towel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:38 pm 

I hope its ok to share some of my own stuff. i am still very much trying to get the hang of this producer stuff, but out of the 3 songs that I have finished, this is the one I feel came out the best. even though the theme is little silly
Spoiler: show

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:42 pm 

Industrial music fest Cold Waves IV is coming up, and part of the lineup has been announced:
-Godflesh
-PWEI
-Frontline Assembly
-Lustmord
-Severed Heads
-Lead Into Gold

More bands will be announced on the 15th. If you're interested in the whole industrial scene, it may be worth seeing.

http://curranreynolds.blogspot.com/2015 ... es-iv.html

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:07 am 

It's funny, I get the itch to listen to a heap of drum n bass in a row, I mean half a dozen or so CDs back to back.
I recently discovered NON which is nice dark freaky stuff

Digital played in Wellington a couple of nights ago, gutted! I live at the other rend of the county and couldn't go, saw him play there years ago though for a NYE gig.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next