Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:31 am 

Panzerschreckrieg wrote:
I've been listening to the old Swedish scene a lot lately. Left Hand Path, Liek An Everflowing Stream, An Evil Shade of Gray, The Spectral Sorrows, Where No Life Dwells, Fornever Laid to Rest, and Gorement's debut are the albums I've been listening to this past month. I'm looking for some Entombed worship bands. I really like how Entombed seemed to incorporate punk rock influences in their riffs. Some of those interludes are amazing. Can anyone recommend me some other bands that do Entombed/Left Hand Path worship well?

Cryptic Tales' Anathema reminds me a bit of Left Hand Path era Entombed. The songwriting isn't as consistent but it's still something you might want to check out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CFkAAMJmlI

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:17 am 

Interment aren't quite a "worship" band - they have their own twist on that sound, to some degree - but they are carrying on that early-90's Stockholm sound more authentically than most.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:40 am 

Panzerschreckrieg wrote:
I've been listening to the old Swedish scene a lot lately. Left Hand Path, Liek An Everflowing Stream, An Evil Shade of Gray, The Spectral Sorrows, Where No Life Dwells, Fornever Laid to Rest, and Gorement's debut are the albums I've been listening to this past month. I'm looking for some Entombed worship bands. I really like how Entombed seemed to incorporate punk rock influences in their riffs. Some of those interludes are amazing. Can anyone recommend me some other bands that do Entombed/Left Hand Path worship well?

Have you heard of Bastard Priest?

Visions Of Doom
Ghouls Of the Endless Night

Oooh yeah :metal:

My collection

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:28 am 

There's a whole micro-genre out there called "Entombedcore" that's basically hardcore/crust dudes folding the already Discharge-ish swedeath sounds of Entombed, etc. with more modern dirty hardcore. Do yourself a favor and listen to Black Breath, Trap Them and Mammoth Grinder's Extinction of Humanity.

My two favorite "retro swedeath worship" bands are definitely Repugnant and Tribulation (first album only for the latter). Repugnant are a little closer to the brutal end of things, with more intensity and blasting, so are kind of close to Interment, while Tribulation are like classic Stockholm swedeath mixed with an extra dose of Teutonic thrash.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Faster Than You
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:17 am 

So even though I made a thread asking for suggestions, I figure I'll try asking here. Gentlemen I'm looking for melodic death metal bands, that use thrash riffs. In other words if The Black Dahlia played melodic death thrash, who would be their peers?

Rompestromper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:26 am 

you might like this?

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:48 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
My two favorite "retro swedeath worship" bands are definitely Repugnant and Tribulation (first album only for the latter). Repugnant are a little closer to the brutal end of things, with more intensity and blasting, so are kind of close to Interment, while Tribulation are like classic Stockholm swedeath mixed with an extra dose of Teutonic thrash.

Agreed with Tribulation's debut and Repugnant. I'll also add Bastard Priest and Graveyard (Esp) (their debut), as a couple more of my favorites from that field.

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:00 am 

Any BDM bands with the buzzsaw tone?

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:56 pm 

For some reason the "Entombedcore" bands - Trap Them, Nails, Black Breath etc. - appeal to me more than most of the retro-Swedeath bands nowadays. Maybe because the hardcore/crust influences add a more unique twist to that sound.

On other hand, I'm still discovering 90's Swedeath/Finndeath classics that I missed back in the day (being too young). Most recently Macabre End (later God Macabre) and their first EP.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:25 pm 

Jimmy Calhoun wrote:
Gypaetus:

That is an intimidatingly long list of bands. :-P

Diocletian, Portal, Impetuous Ritual, Grave Upheaval, Ignivomous, Charon, Mitochondrion, Aevangelist, Witchrist, Irkallian Oracle... Those are just the ones I'm familiar with, to varying degrees, but they're all "pretty good" at absolute worst.

Indeed! :P
I hope you find something worthwhile in that list. This is why I was asking for 'hidden gems' lol, I love this style of black/death but I know of most (all?) of the better known names, I think.

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:30 am 

Panzerschreckrieg wrote:

Last FM

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:36 pm 

Don't forget the mighty Death Breath with Nicke Anderson himself!!
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:59 pm 

Little bit off-topic, but is anyone familiar with Scent of Death? They almost remind me of a more technical Deicide, with a dash of Immolation. I got their album on vinyl for about 15 bucks including shipping - not a bad purchase at all.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:59 am 

Gypaetus wrote:
This is why I was asking for 'hidden gems' lol, I love this style of black/death but I know of most (all?) of the better known names, I think.

Hope you're still interested in me dropping another name, but Brisbane's Consummation might have something for ya (you too Tony!). The demo absolutely kills, though I have a feeling you may already know them...

Rend The Ain Soph
Heautontimoroumenos

My collection

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:12 am 

I'm definitely still interested, but I actually recced them to Androdion not too long ago in the bm help thread, which is probably why you have that feeling that I already know them.

I guess to broaden the request a bit, if you know of any other bands that fit the chaotic atmosphere of what I'm after, even if they're more straightforward dm than what I originally requested that'd be awesome as well.

I found my own 'hidden gem' along the lines of this style of music (more-or-less) that I thought people might enjoy: Vorage, from the UK. http://exitiumprods.bandcamp.com/album/vorage

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:52 am 

Yeah, that's where the connection has to be, knew I saw it dropped somewhere...

Anyway, to recc you another chaotic, dense and hostile band (unless you know them) is Heresiarch. In line with the Witchrist school of destroy everything, but definitely more linear and... ummm annihilating.

Conflagration
Obsecrating the Global Holocaust
Iconoclasm

My collection

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:25 am 

Yeah, 'Hammer of Intransigence' is good stuff. Didn't they come out with something else more recently?

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:41 am 

As far as "chaotic black/death" goes, what about Pseudogod? I don't think anyone's mentioned them yet - too obvious?

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:44 am 

Listened to Decapitated's Winds of Creation today in its entirely. Seems cool so far with plenty of explosive riffs to enjoy. It actually reminds of Torture Squad's Pandemonium a bit, although that album was released later.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:05 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Listened to Decapitated's Winds of Creation today in its entirely. Seems cool so far with plenty of explosive riffs to enjoy. It actually reminds of Torture Squad's Pandemonium a bit, although that album was released later.

Winds of Creation is one of the best death metal albums I've ever heard. It is also my favorite by Decapitated, though I enjoy much of their work. Particularly, the guitar work is masterful.

Stopbeinsuchanfagit
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:35 am 

Kruel wrote:
Here is my first request: can anybody recommend me old school death metal with great vocals, like Asphyx, Obituary, and Pentacle? I can't exactly describe the vocal style except that they are more high-pitched than the usual death growls, but I think the mention of those bands will give you an idea on what type of vocals I am looking for.

Can anyone see this? New to Metallum.

Kirvis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:00 pm 

Hi,

I prefer vocals like Kelly Shaefer from Atheist, so I would be happy if someone recommend me technical/progessive death metal bands with clean or harsh vocal or even mixture these.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:21 pm 

CrushedRevelation wrote:

Anyway, to recc you another chaotic, dense and hostile band (unless you know them) is Heresiarch. In line with the Witchrist school of destroy everything, but definitely more linear and... ummm annihilating.

Conflagration
Iconoclasm

I'm familiar with the name, but haven't listened to them until now, so thanks!

This is tearing my face off a bit (a lot). I'll have to give these guys a few listens so this sinks in lol.

Jimmy Calhoun wrote:
As far as "chaotic black/death" goes, what about Pseudogod? I don't think anyone's mentioned them yet - too obvious?

I'm familiar with them :) I need to give their latest album more listens though.

Zanzir
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:39 pm 

Is there anything like Obituary? some SLOW TO MID PACED death metal,i prefer old stuff but its ok,and i dont mind some fast parts as long as they are rare.
No asphyx,autopsy,bolt thrower,Runemagick...dig a little deeper guys.
the closest band i found is Viogression,also pentacle but they are a little faster.

thx.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:05 pm 

Zanzir wrote:
Is there anything like Obituary? some SLOW TO MID PACED death metal,i prefer old stuff but its ok,and i dont mind some fast parts as long as they are rare.
the closest band i found is Viogression,also pentacle but they are a little faster.

thx.

Bloodsoaked
Jungle Rot

Zanzir
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:23 pm 

aaronmb666 wrote:
Zanzir wrote:

thx.

Bloodsoaked
Jungle Rot

Jungle Rot are good so far even though not exactly what im looking for.
Bloodsoaked not so much..
Hoping for some more obituary style to come.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:47 am 

Zanzir wrote:

thx.

Bloodsoaked
Jungle Rot[/quote]
Hoping for some more obituary style to come.[/quote]

Are you aware of Six Feet Under? If not, I would only check out Haunted, as it's got Allen West in it, as well as Chris Barnes(when he was still good).

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:33 am 

Gypaetus wrote:
CrushedRevelation wrote:

Conflagration
Iconoclasm

I'm familiar with the name, but haven't listened to them until now, so thanks!

This is tearing my face off a bit (a lot). I'll have to give these guys a few listens so this sinks in lol.

Glad I've found you something! Now for something else in the form of Genocide Shrines from Sri Lanka. Pretty impressively savage, brutal stuff here.

Nectars of Tantric Murder
Apparitions of Spiritual Obliteration

Another band I'll shoot your way is Temple Below. This is a Swedish/Chilean collaboration, but their Dies Irae EP has some truly wild, chaotic moments of savagery (despite some long intros).

Sacred Destruction
Hail Satan

My collection

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:01 am 

So many new death/extreme metal releases I haven't picked up yet. Next week I'll probably get the new Incantation and the new Tryptikon, and I absolutely have to get Diocletian, Dead Congregation, and Trap Them, and probably Teitanblood and Hour of Penance as well.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:31 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:

Glad I've found you something! Now for something else in the form of Genocide Shrines from Sri Lanka. Pretty impressively savage, brutal stuff here.

Nectars of Tantric Murder
Apparitions of Spiritual Obliteration

Another band I'll shoot your way is Temple Below. This is a Swedish/Chilean collaboration, but their Dies Irae EP has some truly wild, chaotic moments of savagery (despite some long intros).

Sacred Destruction
Hail Satan

Genocide Shrines is another band I've heard name-dropped quite a bit but never checked out till now. This is really impressive, thanks Crushed!

Temple Below I haven't heard of at all until now. It sounds interesting - this is another band that reminds me a bit of Wrathprayer actually, though the leads remind me a bit of Teitanblood's first album. Seems like something that might take repeated listens to really sink in.

Zanzir
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:47 am 

aaronmb666 wrote:
Zanzir wrote:

thx.

Bloodsoaked
Jungle Rot

Hoping for some more obituary style to come.[/quote]

Are you aware of Six Feet Under? If not, I would only check out Haunted, as it's got Allen West in it, as well as Chris Barnes(when he was still good).[/quote]
SFU's Haunted is good but it seems like they kinda lost it on their later albums.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:58 pm 

Are you aware of Six Feet Under? If not, I would only check out Haunted, as it's got Allen West in it, as well as Chris Barnes(when he was still good).[/quote]
SFU's Haunted is good but it seems like they kinda lost it on their later albums.[/quote]

Wouldnt be so bad if it wasnt for Barnes.

IanEr13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:04 pm 

Hey guys, I was listening to the new Fallujah album which I'm really loving so far. Now I'm looking for some tech death bands that incorporate atmospheric sections or some progressive elements. Doesn't have to be too similar to Fallujah, in fact some of their "deathcore" elements I don't like as much.

DeadAndMessedUp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:26 pm 

Hail of Bullet's song Death of a Field Marshal is a masterpiece. This reminds me of a slower Dismember's Life - Another Shape of Sorrow and John Tardy from Obituary / Autopsy's Chris Reifert.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:46 am 

DeadAndMessedUp wrote:
Hail of Bullet's song Death of a Field Marshal is a masterpiece. This reminds me of a slower Dismember's Life - Another Shape of Sorrow and John Tardy from Obituary / Autopsy's Chris Reifert.

That song always reminds me of Hammerfall's Glory To The Brave, hehe

DeadAndMessedUp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:33 am 

Machine_Dead wrote:
DeadAndMessedUp wrote:

That song always reminds me of Hammerfall's Glory To The Brave, hehe

No, i'm saying I like the way their albums end and I think this time they've made the vocals stand out. Who knows, maybe i'm just bored.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:07 pm 

Are Cenotaph's melodic death metal albums any good? And are those very different from their doom-y debut?

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:31 pm 

Good question. Do let us know when you listen to them (I know I never did!). :lol:

DeadAndMessedUp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:35 pm 

I can't remember but i'm thinking The Chasm was sorta good.

RepulsiveVenom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:46 am 

Jimmy Calhoun wrote:
Little bit off-topic, but is anyone familiar with Scent of Death? They almost remind me of a more technical Deicide, with a dash of Immolation. I got their album on vinyl for about 15 bucks including shipping - not a bad purchase at all.

If Scent of Death sound like what you have described then I will definitely check them out!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 215, 216, 217, 218, 219, 220, 221 ... 290  Next